Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 31 Dec 2019, 14:59 (Ref:3949224)   #1
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
CSCC THRUXTON

CSCC visit to the ultra-fast circuit.
Old 30 May 2020, 17:30 (Ref:3979316)   #2
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does anyone have information on spectator attendance please?
Old 30 May 2020, 19:05 (Ref:3979330)   #3
fergus_r
Veteran

United Kingdom
fergus_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfergus_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfergus_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
As per the latest MSUK update, all events will be behind closed doors for the foreseeable future.
Old 30 May 2020, 21:33 (Ref:3979358)   #4
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Agreed - and of course we don't even know if the event will run, yet - Motorsport UK said they were only issuing 50% of the number of permits that they did last year. I'd like to think that CSCC have a good enough rep to make them a strong contender, but I'm not booking anything yet

Of course, as discussed elsewhere, it may well be that marshals are in short supply so anyone could consider volunteering to marshal......
Old 31 May 2020, 06:30 (Ref:3979391)   #5
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Please forgive my ignorance of you rules but are you allowed to do marshaling with a racer licence?
Old 31 May 2020, 07:01 (Ref:3979393)   #6
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Please forgive my ignorance of you rules but are you allowed to do marshaling with a racer licence?
No reason why not. Technically, a marshal doesn't need to be registered with Motorsport UK (although the vast majority are).
Old 31 May 2020, 10:16 (Ref:3979427)   #7
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Ha yes, news for me, thanks. One issue here is you'd have to teach the drivers to the different flags meaning! Fine with red, yellow, checkered but the others…*
More seriously I think we should send some drivers to marshal posts then they could, perhaps, understand many things they usually dont and have a different point of view.
Not sure but I think all our marshals are licensed. Mainly I find they are well trained.
Old 31 May 2020, 10:56 (Ref:3979436)   #8
Mike_Powell
Rookie

Mike_Powell should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMike_Powell should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMike_Powell should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
You don't need a licence to marshal, and any newcomer is always welcome. Personally I spend the first couple of sessions with a trainee explaining why we do what we've done, flagging especially, and then pair them with an experienced marshal. I'll give them a chance to try flagging as well, as not all marshals want to do it - it is a skill.

But I won't share my winegums with them !
Old 31 May 2020, 12:25 (Ref:3979446)   #9
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Gerard, for info - in UK when we get our race licence (after passing what is called an ARDS test - a brief paper test and a few laps round a circuit with an instructor to try to weed out any complete idiots) we have to have a yellow patch with a black X on it on the back of the car until we have completed six races without any transgressions - we have to get an upgrade card signed by the clerk of the course each race. Its basically a system to simultaneously warn other competitors that you are a novice, and to act as a sort of control on anyone trying too hard too soon. When I started, as I was sharing the car with my experienced mate, I had to have the novice cross, but he didn't, and as he refused to drive around with a cross on, he made up a folding cross, so that it was fastened closed when he was in and as I took over, he flipped the catch to unveil my "badge of shame" We celebrated when I got my sixth signature and could remove the device!

You can get one of your 6 upgrade signatures for volunteering as a marshal (I did this), and my view is that this should actually be mandatory - it certainly gives you a better insight into how important marshals are.
Old 31 May 2020, 14:30 (Ref:3979468)   #10
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
My deduction is that its more serious in your area than in our. When we go abroad, Spain for instance, its always a surprise to see the blue flag waved whatever is happening on the track. In France, you're supposed to give way and if you dont you could be blamed or have to make a drive through. Imagine what happens during a one make race…
Agree with you this should be mandatory.
Old 31 May 2020, 16:38 (Ref:3979485)   #11
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You can get one of your 6 upgrade signatures for volunteering as a marshal (I did this), and my view is that this should actually be mandatory - it certainly gives you a better insight into how important marshals are.[/QUOTE]

Couldn't agree more.
Old 1 Jun 2020, 07:27 (Ref:3979564)   #12
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Clerk View Post
You can get one of your 6 upgrade signatures for volunteering as a marshal (I did this), and my view is that this should actually be mandatory - it certainly gives you a better insight into how important marshals are.
Couldn't agree more.[/QUOTE]

I'd agree with that. My 'treat' for getting 6 signatures was the upgrade and going to Spa in 2004, after a few car related DNF's ( clutch and head gasket) I got 3 signatures over the August bank holiday weekend, 2 at Sillystone on Saturday then the 6th at the OP GC.
Old 1 Jun 2020, 09:04 (Ref:3979577)   #13
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
I think the yellow patch is a very good thing tho. As many here I feel marshaling a good thing for any driver. I did a lot, taught some marshals, drove the first french safety-car fully equipped with one marshal and one specialized doctor and still have many things to learn. Having been responsible for the relations between marshals and drivers brought a lot a fun too… Happy days.
Old 3 Jun 2020, 17:09 (Ref:3980021)   #14
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by justracing View Post
Does anyone have information on spectator attendance please?
In answer to my own question the following reply received today from Thruxton:
Good morning Richard,

"Many thanks for your email and I'm really sorry to say that unfortunately this race meeting will be behind closed doors, with no spectators.

If you already have a ticket for this then obviously we'll refund it in full, just let me know and I'll arrange it for you.

Once again I'm sorry but hopefully we'll see you here once some normality has resumed.

Best regards

Pat
Pat Blakeney
Group Operations Manager
Old 4 Jun 2020, 17:05 (Ref:3980192)   #15
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Just had notification that entries have gone live for this event!
Old 4 Jun 2020, 20:36 (Ref:3980227)   #16
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
YESSS!!!!! I will be there with the modsports.
Old 5 Jun 2020, 10:34 (Ref:3980296)   #17
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Don't think we'll make it as not sure what hotel arrangements will be, and as I note that there will only be two admission tickets for main driver and one for second driver, it would mean me either leaving my 84 year-old partner behind for the weekend or booking an extra day in whatever hotel accommodation we could get....

Nothing to do with me being a bit nervous of being out of my depth when making my first visit to the infamously fast circuit, where we would be seriously underpowered......
Old 6 Jun 2020, 07:34 (Ref:3980434)   #18
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have entered the 2 x Magnificent 7 races on the Saturday on the assumption that:
Camping/ Motorhomes will be allowed for overnight stays by then
My mechanic mate is happy to provide support and also camp
I can get a test place on the Friday as I have not raced at Thruxton before
I and Mrs 97 still feel safe with the arrangements
Easier to enter now and cancel nearer the time, if not happy about any of above, than it is to try to enter late

I have booked a track evening at Donington for 23 June to try to get back in the swing of things as not even sat in the car since Oct last year.
Old 6 Jun 2020, 13:21 (Ref:3980480)   #19
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
I have entered the 2 x Magnificent 7 races on the Saturday on the assumption that:
Camping/ Motorhomes will be allowed for overnight stays by then
My mechanic mate is happy to provide support and also camp
I can get a test place on the Friday as I have not raced at Thruxton before
I and Mrs 97 still feel safe with the arrangements
Easier to enter now and cancel nearer the time, if not happy about any of above, than it is to try to enter late

I have booked a track evening at Donington for 23 June to try to get back in the swing of things as not even sat in the car since Oct last year.

Ah, but as you'll only get two tickets you'll have to choose between Mrs 97 and your mechanic mate as your plus 1
Old 6 Jun 2020, 13:33 (Ref:3980487)   #20
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
Ah, but as you'll only get two tickets you'll have to choose between Mrs 97 and your mechanic mate as your plus 1
Mrs 97 rarely comes along now, except to Donington, due to us having 2 dogs. Easy.
Old 8 Jun 2020, 10:27 (Ref:3980785)   #21
Paul D
Veteran

England
Southport, Merseyside
Paul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm considering it at the moment, but the Covid situation just puts even more obstacles in the way.

SWMBO is in two minds about it, and as she's team manager, I have to take note!

But Thruxton is already a borderline case for us, due to it being so far away. So no way we could do it all in a day, which means being able to camp on-site is a must, but currently an unknown. I've always maintained that I will do it one day, just to tick that box if nothing else, but just not sure if this is the year to give it a try...

Never having been there is also another consideration. Of course, there has to be a first time at any circuit, but learning what is the fastest circuit in the country at a time when, if something goes wrong (a crash and potential hospitalisation, for example) means you could end up with more complications than you bargained for, is certainly something that needs to be considered.

Hmmm... decisions, decisions.
Old 8 Jun 2020, 11:07 (Ref:3980796)   #22
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul D View Post

Never having been there is also another consideration. Of course, there has to be a first time at any circuit, but learning what is the fastest circuit in the country at a time when, if something goes wrong (a crash and potential hospitalisation, for example) means you could end up with more complications than you bargained for, is certainly something that needs to be considered.

Hmmm... decisions, decisions.

I was discussing it with Rob (the Apothecary) the other day and his tale of having a front strut fail last time he was there, fortunately at the slowest part of the circuit, made me think, especially as he reckoned if something goes wrong you're likely to end up in another postcode Then I looked up the lap times from last year and the quick lads were in the high 90s average mph, and the guys we'd normally run with were in the mid-80s.... Given that on most circuits we visit we're a lot slower than that - about 10mph slower at Silverstone International, for example, I suspect we'd be significantly underpowered.....

Advance planning mode - have you got a pub with a good garden near you ? - if they open up in the next couple of weeks we'll come over and have a chat about it
Old 9 Jul 2020, 18:27 (Ref:3987046)   #23
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
Have received an email from the CSCC office that includes:

“ ....as a slice of positivity in what has been a fairly miserable year for Motorsport to date. The entry numbers are superb, a potential all time record for us and probably one of the largest in the history of Thruxton circuit and we still have ten more days to accept entries!”
Sounds good.
Old 9 Jul 2020, 18:53 (Ref:3987050)   #24
Mike Crow
Racer

Mike Crow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
Have received an email from the CSCC office that includes:

“ ....as a slice of positivity in what has been a fairly miserable year for Motorsport to date. The entry numbers are superb, a potential all time record for us and probably one of the largest in the history of Thruxton circuit and we still have ten more days to accept entries!”
Sounds good.
Still no spectators though which is hard to understand and very disappointing
Old 9 Jul 2020, 19:00 (Ref:3987051)   #25
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Crow View Post
Still no spectators though which is hard to understand and very disappointing
Spectators expected to be allowed at the Snetterton meeting. Spectators not yet allowed at most sports.