Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 3 Aug 2020, 11:56 (Ref:3992681)   #176
Sandgroper
Veteran

Australia
Perth WA (south of the river)
Sandgroper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Season and restrictions on Teams and available tracks is looking slim.
Old 3 Aug 2020, 12:34 (Ref:3992686)   #177
fomoco
Veteran

Australia
Bris Vages southside
fomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridfomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Also looking slim is, having available volunteers, Darwin and T'Ville need them, but with hotspots an restrictions on entry , isolation etc, and having double rounds, volunteers pay their own way.
At the moment SA and Qld volies look the most likley, but some Qld live in hotspots, so no go there
Big ask , in these times
Old 3 Aug 2020, 14:40 (Ref:3992720)   #178
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It has always puzzled me why a professional series financed by by a promoter who expects a return on his investment expects volounteers to run a a race meeting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomoco View Post
Also looking slim is, having available volunteers, Darwin and T'Ville need them, but with hotspots an restrictions on entry , isolation etc, and having double rounds, volunteers pay their own way.
At the moment SA and Qld volies look the most likley, but some Qld live in hotspots, so no go there
Big ask , in these times
Old 3 Aug 2020, 19:26 (Ref:3992766)   #179
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
It has always puzzled me why a professional series financed by by a promoter who expects a return on his investment expects volounteers to run a a race meeting.
On the face of it there is a dichotomy there but then it's not just an Australian thing, the same applies throughout Europe, US and a range of other countries and continents - from F1 on down.

There is a "double edge" to it - yes, professional series rely on volunteers for many of the officiating roles and the days can be long but for enthusiastic volunteers, that often means getting into race meetings for no cost, being at least partially fed & watered but also getting closer to the action than any paying spectators and being genuinely part of any event.
Old 4 Aug 2020, 04:42 (Ref:3992807)   #180
fomoco
Veteran

Australia
Bris Vages southside
fomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridfomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
It's down to a cost , to be borne by the promoter. You could go with lights at cnrs and straights etc, and just have dedicated recovery/medic teams .
No human involvement at track level.

Everything on circuit would have to rely on incar and tv footage to determine any abuse of the rules. Whereas having marshals, they actually see it, report it ,followed by written report.

So a couple of options open to promoters
Old 4 Aug 2020, 05:04 (Ref:3992809)   #181
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Of course it is, they are trying to do it on the cheap. If I start a business and ask you or anyone else to work on the weekend for free would you do it? You would give me the middle finger so to speak and rightfully so. If a promoter wants to run a professional series the meeting running costs should include payment to the officials who run the meeting. If the promoter cannot make a go of it on those terms then either the business plan sucks or he is pocketing the money that should have paid the officials. In fact the promoter if he is pocketing the money is doing the age old motor sport thing of ripping off the participants. Club amateur racing of course is another thing altogether, been there and done that for many years both officiating and driving. You might think I feel strongly about this and you would be 100% right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomoco View Post
It's down to a cost , to be borne by the promoter.
Old 4 Aug 2020, 08:50 (Ref:3992839)   #182
fomoco
Veteran

Australia
Bris Vages southside

Quote:
Of course it is, they are trying to do it on the cheap. If I start a business and ask you or anyone else to work on the weekend for free would you do it? You would give me the middle finger so to speak and rightfully so. If a promoter wants to run a professional series the meeting running costs should include payment to the officials who run the meeting. If the promoter cannot make a go of it on those terms then either the business plan sucks or he is pocketing the money that should have paid the officials. In fact the promoter if he is pocketing the money is doing the age old motor sport thing of ripping off the participants. Club amateur racing of course is another thing altogether, been there and done that for many years both officiating and driving. You might think I feel strongly about this and you would be 100% right.
totally agree
Old 4 Aug 2020, 09:12 (Ref:3992844)   #183
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Are the transporters still stuck at the NT border?
Old 4 Aug 2020, 10:33 (Ref:3992863)   #184
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by chavez View Post
Ive heard nothing to say they are not....
Old 5 Aug 2020, 02:02 (Ref:3993047)   #185
tobyobi
Rookie

tobyobi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chavez View Post
https://www.speedcafe.com/2020/08/05...ve-at-airport/

Looks as though they're across now.
Old 5 Aug 2020, 02:49 (Ref:3993048)   #186
bloggs
Racer

Australia
Goldcoast
bloggs should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Darwin event to be postponed by a week maybe. Supercars to make a statement this arrvo.
one hellava life
Old 5 Aug 2020, 04:28 (Ref:3993051)   #187
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloggs View Post
Darwin event to be postponed by a week maybe. Supercars to make a statement this arrvo.
It seems that those personnel in the / have been to the hotspot areas in Queensland will need to serve a 7 day quarantine on arrival, hence the 7 day delay of the event. That is my understanding of the issue. All personnel are on a chartered flight this arvo and as has been said the trucks are now in NT en route to Darwin.
Old 5 Aug 2020, 06:26 (Ref:3993058)   #188
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
It seems that those personnel in the / have been to the hotspot areas in Queensland will need to serve a 7 day quarantine on arrival, hence the 7 day delay of the event. That is my understanding of the issue. All personnel are on a chartered flight this arvo and as has been said the trucks are now in NT en route to Darwin.
It will cause an uproar up here. There are over 500 people in the old Inpex camp paying a motza for 14 day quarantine, now they let these guys in with only 7 days.
The second weekend is still a TBC, it will clash with an election and AFL footy if it is on the 22nd.
Old 5 Aug 2020, 08:32 (Ref:3993067)   #189
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by sizzle View Post
It will cause an uproar up here. There are over 500 people in the old Inpex camp paying a motza for 14 day quarantine, now they let these guys in with only 7 days.
The second weekend is still a TBC, it will clash with an election and AFL footy if it is on the 22nd.
They are talking of one of the events being potentially midweek.... I guess this is in answer to the footy / election clash.
Old 5 Aug 2020, 08:46 (Ref:3993072)   #190
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
Oldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Checking Flight Radar a Virgin 737 departed BNE for Darwin around 1439 this afternoon, Had originally been scheduled for 1130 am.
The interesting thing will be the makeup of the welcoming committee,

Dep BNE 1433 Arr DRW 1614

Last edited by Oldtony; 5 Aug 2020 at 08:51. Reason: fill in actual times
Old 5 Aug 2020, 13:01 (Ref:3993127)   #191
Sandgroper
Veteran

Australia
Fair enough, sign of the times.
WOuldnt be easy for all involved
Old 6 Aug 2020, 07:24 (Ref:3993256)   #192
Juarez Jed
Veteran

Juarez Jed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJuarez Jed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Seems like overkill to enforce hotel quarantine before the racing takes place. If the teams are in a hotel bubble away from the public it seems unnecessary.
Going in and out of enforced quarantine when crossing state borders is making the series more trouble than it is worth.
Teams wanting to get back to families in Victoria is not practical. Luckily they had plenty of family time from March to June.
Looks like NT, Qld then Bathurst. Run and done. Ticks the box for last round in NSW. Go out on a high with the main event.
Who knows if next year will be any better ?
Old 6 Aug 2020, 09:42 (Ref:3993285)   #193
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Are they going to have spectators at Bathurst?.
Old 6 Aug 2020, 10:29 (Ref:3993295)   #194
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Cant see it.
Old 6 Aug 2020, 11:41 (Ref:3993314)   #195
Casper
Veteran

I haven't been to Bathurst for many years and I wonder how they could keep a keen person out of the place, mission impossible I would think. I wonder if the event can take place considering the problems the venue presents.
Old 6 Aug 2020, 11:41 (Ref:3993315)   #196
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juarez Jed View Post
Seems like overkill to enforce hotel quarantine before the racing takes place. If the teams are in a hotel bubble away from the public it seems unnecessary.
Going in and out of enforced quarantine when crossing state borders is making the series more trouble than it is worth.
Teams wanting to get back to families in Victoria is not practical. Luckily they had plenty of family time from March to June.
Looks like NT, Qld then Bathurst. Run and done. Ticks the box for last round in NSW. Go out on a high with the main event.
Who knows if next year will be any better ?
They just need to ensure they get the 4 different states which they will with Queensland (Victoria /Albert Park counts as a round because they qualified prior to it being canned) and 10 rounds minimum, to meet Championship criteria requirements.

Then there are Broadcasting contractual requirements to be met.....
Old 6 Aug 2020, 11:59 (Ref:3993319)   #197
blaarg
Racer

blaarg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
They just need to ensure they get the 4 different states which they will with Queensland (Victoria /Albert Park counts as a round because they qualified prior to it being canned) and 10 rounds minimum, to meet Championship criteria requirements.

You have to give Supercars credit for trying, when everyone else has basically thrown in the towel. Their efforts are extraordinary but surely the teams are burning financial holes in their back pockets pushing on like this?

Or is the broadcasting contract the whole reason for pressing on? It's the only remaining financial lifeline, and the unthinkable may occur if they call in force majeure?
Old 6 Aug 2020, 13:21 (Ref:3993334)   #198
Sandgroper
Veteran

Australia
Sad times if Bathurst is the last event of the year but TOTALLY understandable.

Glad I didnt book tickets this year.

Last edited by Sandgroper; 6 Aug 2020 at 13:44.
Old 6 Aug 2020, 14:23 (Ref:3993347)   #199
ford71
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
ford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

I read 6 rounds minimum
Old 6 Aug 2020, 15:07 (Ref:3993354)   #200
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by ford71 View Post
I read 6 rounds minimum
My apologies, you are correct it is 6 and not 10. My bad.... I read the article a couple of days ago and am guilty of going on memory when I posted. I think with all the reading I have done during a Melbourne lockdown has fried my brain with an info overload.That and old age!
Thanks for correcting me.