Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 14 Apr 2020, 09:44 (Ref:3970717)   #151
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
The tyre war was good because it allowed a lesser team to upset the odds. The best example being Damon Hill nearly winning in the Arrows in Hungary. Now that was a race that was both great to watch and heartbreaking at the same time.
He finished second.
Old 14 Apr 2020, 10:12 (Ref:3970724)   #152
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
He finished second.

Indeed, I said nearly winning
Old 14 Apr 2020, 12:34 (Ref:3970741)   #153
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
Yes and no.

There are some third party parts that if just made the same it would be the same situation for everyone. A display unit or something like that would be the extreme at one end. There are others that will perform better on some cars that others. I think a tyre is the most extreme of that later example.
A tyre can be matched to the characteristics of a car.
The latter can be said about many parts from third parties.
Old 14 Apr 2020, 14:26 (Ref:3970773)   #154
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I remember they introduced a rule in 2003 saying a tyre manufacturer can different types of tyres for different teams. The problem stemmed from how Ferrari used Bridgestone to it’s advantage which made it difficult for other teams using the tyre. Which is why McLaren switched to Michelin
Old 14 Apr 2020, 14:28 (Ref:3970774)   #155
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
The tyre war was good because it allowed a lesser team to upset the odds. The best example being Damon Hill nearly winning in the Arrows in Hungary. Now that was a race that was both great to watch and heartbreaking at the same time...
dont have numbers, but i would suspect that the budget divide was far smaller in 1997 then it was in 2012 specifically between Williams and the eventual season winner RB.

2012 of course known for absolutely unpredictable and rubbish Pirelli rubber leading to 7 different races winners in as many races with Maldonado taking his Williams to victory in Spain.

i would say that was the biggest upset i could think of, but was just reminded of Panis; win at Monaco...gots to watch that race again tonight!

the other almost upset that comes to mind was Fisichella's Force India coming 2nd at Spa in 2009...with Bridgestone who were the sole supplier for that season.
Old 14 Apr 2020, 14:33 (Ref:3970778)   #156
S griffin
Veteran

True, but I prefer it if we didn’t have to rely on below standard tyres at the end of the day. People seem to forget F1 is a sport, the pinnacle of this type of sport. While we all want to see closer racing and competition, it should still be down to the best to get the job done
Old 14 Apr 2020, 14:47 (Ref:3970781)   #157
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
True, but I prefer it if we didn’t have to rely on below standard tyres at the end of the day. People seem to forget F1 is a sport, the pinnacle of this type of sport. While we all want to see closer racing and competition, it should still be down to the best to get the job done
i would prefer that as well...but as Zak said, "Sport in my mind is a chance for everyone to compete fairly and pretty equitably. It is like a heavyweight boxer who only wants to fight middleweights."

letting a team spend whatever they want to optimize a bespoke tire does not help equal the playing field imo.
Old 14 Apr 2020, 15:49 (Ref:3970789)   #158
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
The problem stemmed from how Ferrari used Bridgestone to it’s advantage which made it difficult for other teams using the tyre.
They paid the price for that in 2005. As Ferrari was practically the only team using Bridgestone tire able to test, Bridgestone could not adapt to the new rules for that very year.
Old 14 Apr 2020, 15:51 (Ref:3970790)   #159
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
i would prefer that as well...but as Zak said, "Sport in my mind is a chance for everyone to compete fairly and pretty equitably. It is like a heavyweight boxer who only wants to fight middleweights."

letting a team spend whatever they want to optimize a bespoke tire does not help equal the playing field imo.
Brown's argument is not necessarily one in favor of standardized tires but one in favor of a complete standardization. Change the word "tire" to "power-unit" and you get the idea, I guess.
Old 14 Apr 2020, 16:10 (Ref:3970794)   #160
S griffin
Veteran

And Zak’s argument about boxing doesn’t quite fit. If you ask me, it’s no different from the Liverpool or Man City beating a lesser team in the EPL. The difference there is the lesser team can produce an upset, but still the best team always wins the league. If F1 was more like that, that would be an improvement
Old 14 Apr 2020, 16:19 (Ref:3970803)   #161
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
Quote:
And Zak’s argument about boxing doesn’t quite fit. If you ask me, it’s no different from the Liverpool or Man City beating a lesser team in the EPL. The difference there is the lesser team can produce an upset, but still the best team always wins the league. If F1 was more like that, that would be an improvement
if the budget difference between the top team and the bottom team in the EPL is $350 million dollars a year, then i would agree with you.

also a big difference between winning a single game against another club vs beating the entire field in one race where you competing against a few teams spending hundreds of millions a year more then you...at the same time.

and some of these F1 teams have literally hundreds of more employees then the lesser teams...it would be more akin to a lesser team fielding 11 players while Man U fields 20...and then after they win having the nerve to brag about how well they did!
Old 14 Apr 2020, 16:49 (Ref:3970806)   #162
S griffin
Veteran

So Merc running two cars and drivers like everyone else is akin to Man United running 20 cars?
Old 14 Apr 2020, 19:52 (Ref:3970833)   #163
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
One word, four letters. R-A-I-N. Always the great leveller.

Which is why Bernie suggested sprinklers.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 14 Apr 2020, 21:17 (Ref:3970843)   #164
S griffin
Veteran

Now which countries have the most rainfall?
Old 14 Apr 2020, 21:25 (Ref:3970844)   #165
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Now which countries have the most rainfall?
How much rainfall a country has, can be determined by the time of the year.
Old 14 Apr 2020, 22:01 (Ref:3970849)   #166
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Quote:
How much rainfall a country has, can be determined by the time of the year.
Unless you live in England where its determined by the hour...
Old 15 Apr 2020, 00:13 (Ref:3970868)   #167
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armco Bender View Post
Unless you live in England where its determined by the hour...
February 2020 has been the wettest month on record with a UK average of 202.1mm.
Old 15 Apr 2020, 02:33 (Ref:3970884)   #168
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
If you mean the transition to groved tires, If I remember correctly, it was to reduce the size of the contact patch without using narrower tires? An attempt to reduce overall grip and lower cornering speeds? I could be remembering it wrong.
No, I meant the tyres that were used for the full race in the 2005 season... Tyre changes during the race were banned in that season.

The grooved tyres were introduced in 1998 and dropped in 2009, when the cars returned to full slicks.
Old 15 Apr 2020, 02:35 (Ref:3970885)   #169
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by coppice View Post
It's instructive to look at a grid from 30 years ago - 7 different engines -from V8 via V10 to V12
Within 8 years (1989 to 1996), everyone had a V10 as that was the best solution to the regulations.
Old 15 Apr 2020, 03:00 (Ref:3970890)   #170
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
But what a fun 8 years it was.
Old 15 Apr 2020, 07:39 (Ref:3970902)   #171
P38 in workshop
Veteran

P38 in workshop has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASCII Man View Post
But what a fun 8 years it was.

They must have been doing something right as 40 cars went out on track on some Friday mornings.Admittedly some left the circuit by mid morning.Is there anybody who wouldn't like to see 26 cars on the grid on a Sunday afternoon?I'd much rather have that than hospitality centres that need to be transported by fifteen trucks.Not to mention an absence of carbon wastepaper bins.

As is,I wouldn't bet on more than 14 cars for next year maybe a couple more if a rule freeze means this year's cars can-or must-be used.
Old 15 Apr 2020, 07:48 (Ref:3970904)   #172
S griffin
Veteran

We could do with more teams on the grid. 20 is not enough IMHO
Old 15 Apr 2020, 07:55 (Ref:3970905)   #173
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
If you could build a decent engine and gearbox for $1m each and you broke ten each season, that would be less than one power unit from Renault, Honda, Merc, Ferrari. So for a theoretical saving of $20m per year you can power your car. Replicate that with other componentry and open it up to anyone with the skills to provide those parts, you'd be able to attract more teams (Garagistes).

In turn the support industries would also benefit.

In a post Covid 19 world I can see something like this happening since, I believe, the majors will need to re think their business plans.
Old 15 Apr 2020, 09:39 (Ref:3970915)   #174
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
If you could build a decent engine and gearbox for $1m each
This package costs less than $1m each and can do a full season of racing :

But a lot of people are really opposed to F1 being too "dumbed down".

You can see how incredibly simplistic the above installation is, it's like an F1 car from 30 years ago and a far cry from a modern day F1 machine:

Last edited by V8 Fireworks; 15 Apr 2020 at 09:51.
Old 15 Apr 2020, 10:31 (Ref:3970922)   #175
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
It's only dumbed down if you stick with a spec engine. If you suggest the configuration but permit individual interpretations you may result in varied engines such as V8/10 or 12.