Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 26 Mar 2024, 10:35 (Ref:4202835)   #1
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I need a bit of advice.

A belated happy new year to all on here. I stupidly added some screen wash and water to my adblue tank thinking it was a rear screen wash tank. Luckily it was only about one tenth of the 1 litre screen wash, so 100 ml, and about double that amount of water. My adblue tank is 16 litres and was probably between 50% and 66% full so taking the mid point of that I reckon there is roughly 3.25% 'foreign body' in the adblue. I have not run the engine since this faux pas.
My question is what should I do? Will the screen wash and/or water do any harm if I leave it? Should I fill up with adblue to fill the tank? (therefore diluting the polutant). Should I have the adblue tank drained?
I asked the guy at my local garage what he suggested and he thought it should be OK just to fill up with adblue.
As an aside I always thought that adblue was a constant drip feed in to the fuel system but he told me that was not the case and the adblue was added at certain intervals to clean the system out. One lives and learns.
Old 26 Mar 2024, 11:18 (Ref:4202845)   #2
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
My gut instinct is to agree with your local garage. I've just checked and apparently AdBlue is made up of 67.5% (Deionised) water anyway, so the additional water shouldn't create any problems. Unfortunately I don't know what effect the screenwash additive will have on the system. The system uses a high pressure pump (generally at about 75 psi pressure) to feed to an injector which (under certain conditions) opens to spray AdBlue into the exhaust system and onto the diesel particulate filter. I don't think that the small quantities of alcohol in the additive (that is used to stop the screenwash from freezing) would cause any issues, despite the high temperatures in the exhaust end of the system, nor would I expect the low quantities of detergent to do any harm if it is so heavily diluted.
Draining & refilling the system afresh would be the safest bet I suppose, but you're then hit with the problem of disposing of the old liquid, as AdBlue is considered as hazardous and must be disposed of properly.
Old 27 Mar 2024, 17:46 (Ref:4203031)   #3
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
Thanks, Viv. I know adblue is a mix of deionised water and urea but was unsure of how the urea would react with the ethanol/other ingredients in the screen wash.
My gut feel also was to top up the adblue and keep my fingers crossed.
Old 27 Mar 2024, 18:06 (Ref:4203035)   #4
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
May be it will clean the windscreen of any car following you under hard acceleration.
Old 27 Mar 2024, 19:58 (Ref:4203043)   #5
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Peter, what vehicle have you put it in ? can you get some of it out with a suction pump ? What can (and does happen sometimes) is that it can put a warning light on to say that there is a malfunction of the adblue system and it could go into slo-mo !However if you can get most of it out and then refill it you will probably be OK
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 27 Mar 2024, 23:52 (Ref:4203069)   #6
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
[QUOTE...... you will probably be OK][/QUOTE]
Old 28 Mar 2024, 09:16 (Ref:4203112)   #7
GreenMachine
Racer

Australia
Canberra
GreenMachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGreenMachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Guy I know borrowed a car that needed adblue, but (he claims) was not told this. The bill had four zeros to the left of the decimal point, and the first number was higher than 1.

YMMV
Old 28 Mar 2024, 11:24 (Ref:4203134)   #8
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
Greenmachine. I thought car engines could not run when adblue ran out.

Hi Gordon. I don't have a suction pump. The car is a Jaguar XF (2 litre diesel, so maybe same as Ford?). I may get the local garage guy to drain the tank to be safe.
Old 28 Mar 2024, 11:32 (Ref:4203136)   #9
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by morninggents View Post

Hi Gordon. I don't have a suction pump. The car is a Jaguar XF (2 litre diesel, so maybe same as Ford?). I may get the local garage guy to drain the tank to be safe.

Peter, you can buy a drill attachment pump from various places for less than a tenner.
Old 28 Mar 2024, 11:51 (Ref:4203137)   #10
GreenMachine
Racer

Australia
Canberra
GreenMachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGreenMachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by morninggents View Post
I am not a diesel user/driver/owner/drinker, so I know not whether that is now the case, but this was a highish end suv thingy, it probably happened 5 or 6 years ago, and the car was probably on a three year lease (that used to be the norm here), so the car would be around 2015-2019 vintage.

I was told that it has suffered catastrophic engine damage (my words/interpretation) but it was a sensitive subject (surprise!), so I did not do my usual close questioning of my friend, choosing to retain him as a friend!!
Old 28 Mar 2024, 14:05 (Ref:4203156)   #11
Paul D
Veteran

England
Southport, Merseyside
Paul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm no expert on modern diesels, or any diesels, come to think of it - but my understanding of adblue is that it's injected after the engine, into the exhaust, to clean up emissions. I also understand that there's a sensor in the tank to tell the ECU when the tank's empty, and the car will not start at that point.

So, based on both of the above facts (if, indeed, they are facts), it's hard to see how one could do any serious damage to an engine by not having any. I'd go as far as to say it's hard to see how any damage whatsoever could occur if the statements above are correct?

Hoping for enlightenment!
Old 28 Mar 2024, 18:33 (Ref:4203184)   #12
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
Thanks for all your feedback. I checked the car dash display that told me it needed 9 litres of adblue so it must have had 7 litres in when I cocked up, so the contamination is probably nearer 5% than the just over 3 % I first thought. Checking the car handbook regarding adblue it only warns that putting anything else in the adblue tank could be a criminal offence in some places which I have assumed means if you just put water in (for economic reasons!) you may fall foul of the law. There was no mention whatever of the possibility of causing damage by contaminating the mixture.
I also spoke to my local garage man again to ask if he had a suction pump to take out the contaminated mix but he advised against it as he says the tanks have quite sensitive sensors which can be damaged by inserting tubes, etc in to the tank. He also said he had worked on a Land Rover which had a damaged system owing to being overfilled. My handbook also warned against overfilling.
So, on balance, I think I will top up the adblue and see what happens. Unfortunately I can't drive at the moment so it could be a few weeks before I can take the car for a run.
Old 28 Mar 2024, 18:37 (Ref:4203185)   #13
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Peter, you can buy a drill attachment pump from various places for less than a tenner.
Hi Mike. I had one of those several years ago which I screwed on to a piece of wood to make it more stable. When I started the drill up the whole contraption danced around like crazy. Never tried again.
Old 2 Apr 2024, 22:00 (Ref:4203655)   #14
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
May be it will clean the windscreen of any car following you under hard acceleration.

That sort of reminds me of someone I knew slightly (through kid's school) about 30 years ago.

An interesting and talented chap. He was a fireman.

His passion was an old Austin 7. Being an ancient car it was not quick and he got really annoyed when modern vehicles followed very closely.

So he rigged up a small hand pump, a bottle of oil and a pipe that ejected the oil through (or beside) the exhaust pipe. Anyone following too closely got a squirt of oil.

Eventually someone got annoyed and reported him. He was prosecuted and, as I recall, fined a rather excessive amount for the minor transgression. I don't recall which law he was deemed to have broken.
Old 2 Apr 2024, 22:10 (Ref:4203656)   #15
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Ad-Blu is a pain.
When my eldest daughter had a diesel Volvo she parked outside one day, 2 wheels on the pavement, and happened to mention that the Ad-blue light had just come on, which meant she needed to replenish in the next 800 miles or something. She was wondering where might be best to get some locally.

Anyway, 2 hours later she set off to leave and the car would not start. The tilt from the kerb led to the sensor believing the vehicle was out of Ad-blu. So I went to the local supermarket and picked up 5ltrs (as I recall) and we put it in the tank. It still wouldn't start. It seemed to need to know that a significant amount of fluid had been added and the combination of the slope and 5ltrs was insufficient. Or it needed some further reset action that we were unaware of.

I can't recall what we did in the end but finally got it going and off she went.