Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 24 Apr 2000, 20:10 (Ref:5368)   #1
papisfan
Rookie

papisfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
His manager was spotted in Long Beach talking to a few teams. I think this would be awesome. The only problem I see is how his feet would cope with heavier braking in champ cars.
Old 24 Apr 2000, 22:46 (Ref:5369)   #2
Mr.S
Racer

Mr.S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I heard something about that in the F1 Forum to. It would be a nice change though, I wonder what he would drive.
Old 24 Apr 2000, 23:09 (Ref:5376)   #3
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
OK, can i save the day before someone picks on me.

Nigel was the best thing that ever happened to Cart, at least here in Australia, i dont know about the US. Here it was a recognisable face to everybody, and he was bloody popular and when he left, the followers didnt.

But on the other hand, there are 100s of up and coming drivers all over the world dying for a drive in a Champ car. They may not be as good as an ex-F1 driver out of the box, but they would get there. Owners cant say that ex-f1 are cheaper to have than young drivers with the amount of carnage they cause either...

If i were C. Ganasi or R. Penske i would go for a kid over a pops nearly anyday..
Old 25 Apr 2000, 00:21 (Ref:5370)   #4
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good point. I don't know of any top drives coming open, unless he takes Montoya's seat when Montoya goes up to Williams. And I can't feature him coming to CART just to make up the numbers on the grid.
Old 25 Apr 2000, 00:55 (Ref:5371)   #5
Green_man4421
Racer

Canada
Quebec, Canada
Green_man4421 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think johhny would do that well just be midfeild like magnassun ( it think) was.
Old 25 Apr 2000, 07:07 (Ref:5372)   #6
Nuvolari
Racer

Nuvolari should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't know if Johnny would be a standout pilote, but his personality would be welcome addition to the CART paddock!
Old 25 Apr 2000, 08:17 (Ref:5373)   #7
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I would think he might do a Blundell: win with the best car under him. I would prefer to see a youngster get a ride rather than an old foge. I guess i dont want to see Cart turn into a nursing home for old F1 drivers (although bring back Emmo ).
Old 25 Apr 2000, 09:49 (Ref:5374)   #8
Nuvolari
Racer

Nuvolari should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was just thinking of Emmo the other day. I imagine he's far too comfortable in retirement, watching his nephew, to climb back into a Champ car. But it would be worth seeing, wouldn't it?
Old 25 Apr 2000, 10:12 (Ref:5375)   #9
Oscar
Rookie

Oscar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bad image for CART and Johnny is my gut feeling.
Old 25 Apr 2000, 15:39 (Ref:5377)   #10
craigmanning
Rookie

United Kingdom
Toronto Canada
craigmanning should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
...Liz!...you sound very confident that Montoya will actually go to Williams next year. Do you know something we don't?

...papisfan!...do you remember which foot Johnny hurt the worst in 1988? He right foot brakes which apparently costs him time. I'm assuming it's his left foot that's buggered?

...Brett & Nuv!...I agree with you guys. I like Johnny alot, we're from the same part of London but I don't think he'd have much impact. If you want an Englishmen in your Champcar, take Marc Hynes!

...Crash & Nuv!...don't we agree that the kids have taken it all to a new level?...godspeed Emmo, my hero!

Old 26 Apr 2000, 00:53 (Ref:5378)   #11
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Craig, nothing but a feeling I get listening to Sir Frank equivocate about what he's going to do with ButtonBaby now he's doing better than expected - I get the feeling that Sir F. considered him a place holder brought up to get some experience and then be made test driver or something while Montoya came up after another year of seasoning in Champ Cars. Only now he's sort of stuck as he has too many pilotes and no good reason to punt anybody.

EMMMMMMMOOOOOOOO! Come back all is forgivennnnnnnn!!!!!!!
Old 26 Apr 2000, 01:25 (Ref:5379)   #12
Lizzerd
Rookie

Lizzerd should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wonder what the impression would be in the racing world if JH did come to CART. I don't want to see CART become a step down for ex-F1 drivers, or a step for F1 wannabes. Maybe that's just the way it is though. Maybe he saw what Alex did and is telling himself "I can do that too". I think that what may be more realistic for Johnny, if he takes a CART ride, would be moderate success, ala C. Fittipaldi, Mo, and Blundell. That's assuming he takes a seat in a top tier team, which he probably wouldn't settle for less than.
Old 26 Apr 2000, 14:01 (Ref:5380)   #13
jamie928
Rookie

jamie928 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've heard and read that a driver from a top team has been told to start delivering better results or he is gone.I've also heard that team may be PacWest. This is all rumor and speculation but if it's true, maybe JH will replace Gugelman. Blundell has out proformed him this year and Motorola likes him alot.BigMo has also lost the Hollywood sponsorship.

Old 26 Apr 2000, 17:23 (Ref:5381)   #14
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!

i'm sure he'd be very welcome, but for novelty value only. he's not very good anymore, and with deep respect to johnny himself, it's time to hang up the bootees, luv.
Old 26 Apr 2000, 20:48 (Ref:5382)   #15
papisfan
Rookie

papisfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I doubt Herbert would drive for Pacwest. They are o longer a top team.