Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 16 Apr 2000, 19:25 (Ref:5332)   #1
Franklin
Racer

Franklin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
To see a photo of what I mean, take a look at page 72 of the May issue of CAR CRAFT. Imagine the tow line of the chute attached to an Indy car.
Old 16 Apr 2000, 21:05 (Ref:5333)   #2
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
franklin, are you following the race at the moment? or are you just in it for the tech bits?
Old 16 Apr 2000, 23:42 (Ref:5335)   #3
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
They should also mandate safety helmets for people using computers for when they fall off their seats in fits of laughter...

Seriously, when an open wheel racer finds itself in trouble, what sort of time do they have to react, and how much real estate they have before they hit something? They would be better off having a big pillow at the end of the escape road...

[This message has been edited by Crash Test (edited 17 April 2000).]
Old 17 Apr 2000, 04:46 (Ref:5334)   #4
floid2000
Racer

floid2000 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You might have something franklin. In the late 60s they talked of such a system for the turbine cars .It would prevent a car from tumbling and stop it pretty quick.
Old 18 Apr 2000, 01:32 (Ref:5336)   #5
jamie928
Rookie

jamie928 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Crash Test,
I think Franklin has fallen off his chair quite a few times and had no chute to slow his fall. I hope he didn't cause you to bust some stitches.
Franklin has been booted off a forum or two in his lifetime, 7th gear was the latest. He also posted the same parachute thread over there about two months ago and if memory serves me right,he did the airplane vs. racecar post also.
Just thought a little backround on this fellow was in order so everyone can know what to expect in the future.
Old 18 Apr 2000, 02:14 (Ref:5337)   #6
Franklin
Racer

And maybe, Jamie928, if closed-minded weren't too lazy to get off their butts and take a look at what I'm talking about they would also know enough to not advertise that fact to the world.

There are Top Fuel dragster and Funny Car drivers who RIGHT NOW all they to do to deploy their drag chutes is move a thumb an inch or two to push a button on their steering.
Old 18 Apr 2000, 02:58 (Ref:5338)   #7
jamie928
Rookie

jamie928 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Franklin.....It's just to dangerous. What if the driver hits the chute button to late and hits the wall anyway? That leaves a parachute in a possible position to be caught by a passing car who might otherwise clear the incident. I for one wouldn't want to have my face covered in silk at 225 mph.

[This message has been edited by jamie928 (edited 18 April 2000).]
Old 18 Apr 2000, 03:11 (Ref:5339)   #8
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes, but have a look at the situation. You're tearing down the straight, oops no breaks. 1.5 seconds until the brick wall or the tyre wall on the escape road. You would be better off having a jet engine running in reverse, a parachute would be rather ineffective. Look at a drag strip, you have 500 meters of track, and hopefully not too much solid stuff at the end of it. You fully anticipate pulling the chute at the finish line.

A parachute would be completely out of place on an oval (go on, prove me wrong there) and it would be effective if you had a ploughed sand trap to stop errant cars on a road track. I know you American's might not be big fans of sand traps, but give it a go, you might be surprised. They may roll a car easier than just about anything else, but if your car wpnt take a roll in a sand trap, you probably shouldn't be driving it..
Old 18 Apr 2000, 06:25 (Ref:5340)   #9
Franklin
Racer

"Yes, but look at the situation..."

Your car has made a hard left turn off the back straight at Fontana and a gravel trap is useless because none of your tires are even touching the ground.
Old 18 Apr 2000, 09:28 (Ref:5341)   #10
floid2000
Racer

floid2000 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Makes sense Jamie
Old 18 Apr 2000, 10:48 (Ref:5342)   #11
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
What i was meaning with sand traps, put them on the street/road courses. You really beleive that a parachute is going to do something when a can makes a hard left at the end of the Fontana straight?

1. What is it going to do?
2. How much time is there for a driver to hit the button? They are probably going to be in a little shock. Have a look at the incars from some even relatively small stacks...the driver isn't thinking of a whole heap...
Old 18 Apr 2000, 13:33 (Ref:5343)   #12
Franklin
Racer

In my hypothetical example, did I imply the car even made it to the end of the straight?
Old 18 Apr 2000, 23:03 (Ref:5344)   #13
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Well can we agree that we dont need parachutes now, at the speeds the cars are going today? Now how much quicker do want the cars to go? The faster they, the more dangerous they are going to be. Is there not a correlation between high speed and the number of head injuries. If speeds continue to rise, any accident will result in a long hospital stay or a trip to the morgue (unless from somewhere there are major gains in safety/helmet design/stregth of head).

If a car is spinning, what will a parachute do? (Provided the pilote presses the button) It would get tangled up and cause a bigger mess than one without a chute.
Old 19 Apr 2000, 00:47 (Ref:5345)   #14
Franklin
Racer

Well, Crash Test, if you had bothered to take a look at the photo on page 72 of the May issue of CAR CRAFT like I suggested in the first place this whole thread might have been a lot shorter.
Old 19 Apr 2000, 03:06 (Ref:5346)   #15
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Well since i don't have that magazine, and have never seen that magazine on sale in any shops here, why not scan it up and post it?
If you need any web space, i can provide that.
Old 20 Apr 2000, 14:00 (Ref:5347)   #16
enzo
Racer

enzo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This one is just TOO FUNNEY !!!!!

The picture shows some poor schmuck that has been thrown from a flipping hydroplane boat. The chute is attached to the driver ! As the guy is just a foo or so away from hitting the water & the chute is still wadded into a small ball, it ain't gonne do him much good !

Another bit of useless Frankie drivel. There are almost no siuations in an Indy car where a chute has either the space or time to deploy - reaction times, wall proximities, drivers efforts in saving the car by traditional means, etc - all mean that a chute would be useless.

You've all been suckered again.

Frankie : PLEASE give that lid a twist to the right this time....
Old 20 Apr 2000, 23:29 (Ref:5348)   #17
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
"There are almost no siuations in an Indy car where a chute has either the space or time to deploy - reaction times, wall proximities, drivers efforts in saving the car by traditional means, etc - all mean that a chute would be useless."
-Shhhhhhhhhh!! Don't tell anyone! I'm now starting to think they should put them on the cars without thinking or testing....woo hoo
Old 20 Apr 2000, 23:52 (Ref:5352)   #18
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Well at least he isn't one of those F1 whackos we've had in the past week....let him stay, i like kicking puppies
Old 21 Apr 2000, 04:08 (Ref:5349)   #19
Franklin
Racer

"The picture shows some poor schmuck that has been thrown from a flipping
hydroplane boat. The chute is attached to the driver ! As the guy is
just a foo or so away from hitting the water & the chute is still wadded
into a small ball, it ain't gonne do him much good !"

Well, Enzo if you knew your butt from a hole in the ground when it comes to drag chutes, you would have noticed the canopy was not "wadded into a ball." You have noticed that the tow line had been pulled out to its full length, the shroud lines were straightening out, and the canopy was beginning to inflate. Just how the hell did you think that guy survived the situation?
Old 21 Apr 2000, 04:45 (Ref:5350)   #20
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Ok, so it really is a picture of a power boat...well im sure Paul Tracy would love to pull the ejecter seat and sail off into the grandstand...

"Well, Enzo if you knew your butt from a hole in the ground when it comes"
-Grow up a little hey? Go and answer the question in the plane Vs car thread, no one will ever take you seriously if you keep dodging the bullets...

Old 21 Apr 2000, 04:50 (Ref:5351)   #21
enzo
Racer

enzo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wish I had a scanner here at home, I'd publish the picture & show everyone just what a totally blind idiot you really are !

As far as that guy surviving, it most certainly wasn't because of that chute !!!!!

Your lid has slipped off......

Have you ever wondered just why you have been met with derision at every forum you've posted this **** on ? And just why they all wish to ban your IP ?
You may read a lot of stuff, but the intellegence requird to process it correctly just isn't there.
Old 21 Apr 2000, 23:51 (Ref:5357)   #22
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
smiley, im sure your a nice person, but i guess it must be hard making friends in Florida.

1. Seems as though only 1 person on this BB thinks that it is a good idea that Champ cars have a parachute out of over 1000 registered members. Ok, 1000 people haven't posted here, but if only they would...

2. The same person from 1. refuses to ask some simple questions in another thread, which we keep begging the individual to do, but they contuinue to dogde it and insult everyone else for not being as smart as him. (sorry, im jealous)

3. It has beocome apparent that this individual has been kicked off other BBs and quite unpopular here after only a few posts.

Go figure, and smiley
Old 22 Apr 2000, 01:39 (Ref:5353)   #23
Franklin
Racer

Enzo, up until seeing the Car Craft photo you had seen not one single photo of a drag chute inflating in your entire life had you? You have absolutely no familiarity with the history of drag boat racing do you? You don't have the least conception of how many drag boat racers have had their lives saved by personnel drag chutes do you?

"As far as that guy surviving, it most certainly wasn't because of that
chute !!!!!" If it weren't for your COMPLETELY OFFBASE BONEHEAD estimate of the money spent on Nemesis, Enzo, that would have to be your STUPIDEST statement to date.

[This message has been edited by Franklin (edited 22 April 2000).]
Old 22 Apr 2000, 04:11 (Ref:5354)   #24
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Another quiet observation:
IN drag racing, boats or cars, the vehicle stay (well most of the time) in their allocated lane. Now i dont know what they do in your part of the world, but down here there is only 1 car per lane. Could you seen a possible problem when you get 2 cars in the one lane? More often than not you would get two cars tangled together, several post codes away. I could ask a brick that, and it would have the interlect to acknowledge that.
Old 22 Apr 2000, 04:27 (Ref:5355)   #25
Franklin
Racer

"Your car has made a hard left turn off the back straight at Fontana and a gravel trap is useless because none of your tires are even touching the ground." Well, Crash Test since you seem to have a tough time grasping the simple implications of this post I made several days ago (see above), one might surmise that you have a great deal in common with bricks.

It's INTELLECT not interlect, but maybe that explains how you picked "Crash Test". (And Enzo, it's FUNNY not funney, INTELLIGENCE not intellegence, and REQUIRED not requird.)