Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 12 Jul 2023, 19:38 (Ref:4168149)   #126
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
Audi ceasing production of their TCR car along with a massive cutback of GT3 programs.
More market share for the Chinese cars like MG and Lynk&Co, just like in on-road motoring?
Old 13 Jul 2023, 12:22 (Ref:4168231)   #127
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
More market share for the Chinese cars like MG and Lynk&Co, just like in on-road motoring?
Yeah just like on the roads, the MG is a sack of shite and the Lynk and Co is vapourware....
Old 14 Jul 2023, 00:07 (Ref:4168317)   #128
gravin
Rookie

gravin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Audi ceasing production of their TCR car along with a massive cutback of GT3 programs.
F1 is where the eyes are at. Their commitments there are big so I'm not surprised they are cutting back elsewhere.
Old 15 Jul 2023, 05:21 (Ref:4168462)   #129
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The question I would ask is if MPC can't sell any cars and there is no further development, what is their motivation for running cars?

I guess we have heard the allegation that they are asking GT or Supercar money to run cars so do they clear out and try to represent another brand?

Not impossible their fleet could disappear overseas, and I can't see any hybrid or push to pass being developed...
Old 16 Jul 2023, 10:48 (Ref:4168602)   #130
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
They still have a year or so to think about it.
Old 16 Jul 2023, 11:31 (Ref:4168605)   #131
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
Presumably the move to Carrera Cup is an eye on the future for MPC..
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 16 Jul 2023, 13:23 (Ref:4168614)   #132
Sandgroper
Veteran

Australia
Perth WA (south of the river)
Sandgroper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
is TCR even running ?
Old 17 Jul 2023, 09:35 (Ref:4168728)   #133
Mixer
Veteran

Quote:
I can't see anybody in the market for an Audi now knowing that the model will be discontinued, especially given the insanity pricing it has here.
Old 17 Jul 2023, 10:20 (Ref:4168736)   #134
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I can't see anybody in the market for an Audi now knowing that the model will be discontinued, especially given the insanity pricing it has here.
Depending on spare parts availability.. rent not buy.. might be the smart option..
Old 17 Jul 2023, 10:37 (Ref:4168740)   #135
Mixer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Depending on spare parts availability.. rent not buy.. might be the smart option..
Yes but we hear MPC want "Supercar money" for the car, which is what has led marketable young guys to TA2, Carrera Cup etc instead of TCR.

I guess since the Stan thing, the stickers on the side don't pay anymore, and MPC are used to the well heeled paying their prices.
Old 17 Jul 2023, 13:06 (Ref:4168761)   #136
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Yes but we hear MPC want "Supercar money" for the car, which is what has led marketable young guys to TA2, Carrera Cup etc instead of TCR.

I guess since the Stan thing, the stickers on the side don't pay anymore, and MPC are used to the well heeled paying their prices.
Or perhaps the fleet of Audis once driven in GT by half a dozen self-funded racers have mostly migrated to other marques, and without replacements, the ability to defrag what looks like a pretty heavy infrastructure cost across more cars, becomes a cost to serve stress point.

If you ask ‘Supercar money’ and get it.. who is nutsy, the payer or the payee?
Old 17 Jul 2023, 13:21 (Ref:4168763)   #137
Mixer
Veteran

My major concern out of this is that TCRA grid is already so thin that it is barely a professional category as it stands.

I guess there are plenty of Audis around and maybe MPC will be more competitive given this news, but if there were suddenly 4 less Audis on the grid, it's not good.
Old 17 Jul 2023, 13:23 (Ref:4168764)   #138
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
My major concern out of this is that TCRA grid is already so thin that it is barely a professional category as it stands.

I guess there are plenty of Audis around and maybe MPC will be more competitive given this news, but if there were suddenly 4 less Audis on the grid, it's not good.
There are probably as many TCR-eligible chassis in sheds as on the grids at the moment. Hyundai, Honda, Seat, Alfa Romeo, Renault have at least one I’d not 2 or 3 cars in sheds…

What will it take to remove them from garage queen status?
Old 17 Jul 2023, 14:00 (Ref:4168769)   #139
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
No spare Hondas. Both went to the same team that bought the Astras.
Old 17 Jul 2023, 22:24 (Ref:4168833)   #140
Mixer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Hyundai, Honda, Seat, Alfa Romeo, Renault have at least one I’d not 2 or 3 cars in sheds
The only other Cupra is old shape so is it interesting?

Renault had chronic reliability issues and GRM are not going to run it. Nor do they seem to need the money to want to sell it.

Alfa is competitive in the right hands.
Old 17 Jul 2023, 22:35 (Ref:4168835)   #141
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
That's the point, isn't it? Any tuning workshop or even amateur racer can run a TCR. It's basically like running a road car?

TCRs are appearing all over the place in club racing in the UK, like the 750 Motor Club enduro events. They don't have to be confined to the TCR UK series (which is supposedly quite inexpensive compared to the BTCC anyway).
Old 18 Jul 2023, 00:03 (Ref:4168843)   #142
Umai Naa
Veteran

GRM still has at least one Megane.

I can't see why Vukovic would want the other two back.

One of GRM's Alfas, the Caruso Valvoline car, is in the Bathurst museum.

ASM still has at least one Alfa, as does Mr Wilmington.

The thing about TCR UK, is that the bloke who owns the rights to it now, heavily subsidised the series to get it up and running again, buying cars and leasing them out, etc. While the entry fees are cost-effective, they're also heavily subsidised by the numerous series sponsors that are on the cars.

TCR Aus needs a reset.
Old 18 Jul 2023, 05:43 (Ref:4168854)   #143
Mixer
Veteran

Quote:
GRM still has at least one Megane.
The issue is even if GRM's hands it was barely able to finish a race, so who would want it?

Quote:
ASM still has at least one Alfa, as does Mr Wilmington.
These seem to be fast and reliable in the right hands.

Quote:
The thing about TCR UK, is that the bloke who owns the rights to it now, heavily subsidised the series to get it up and running again, buying cars and leasing them out, etc. While the entry fees are cost-effective, they're also heavily subsidised by the numerous series sponsors that are on the cars.
Imagine if you could sign a $20m or so deal with a TV provider and then use that money to fund lots of cars that make people want to watch.

Wouldn't that be a good idea!
Old 25 Jul 2023, 10:38 (Ref:4169871)   #144
Mixer
Veteran

New car and new sponsor for Bargwannas for the remainder of the season:

https://tcraustralia.com/2023/07/25/...Ac_ztvls1uqfJw

As yet unannounced driver to run a 308 out of GRM with stickers from a Chinese forklift company, also on the side of Ben's S5000.

Great to see a new backer in the sport.
Old 25 Jul 2023, 12:04 (Ref:4169880)   #145
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
That's nice they secured the car and sponsorship. Wonder who will take them up on their offer? Nice looking car, interesting sponsorship they have. They have a good empire. It's gonna be interesting if they can make this deal last long enough
Old 25 Jul 2023, 12:05 (Ref:4169882)   #146
Mixer
Veteran

You would suggest there is not a shortage of good drivers, but is it fully funded?

Are they going to find a driver who needs to bring funds?
Old 26 Jul 2023, 10:24 (Ref:4169986)   #147
Umai Naa
Veteran

New FL5 Civic for D'Alberto, when it eventually shows up.
Old 26 Jul 2023, 13:20 (Ref:4170000)   #148
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
New FL5 Civic for D'Alberto, when it eventually shows up.
Good to have that car and him in the series. No reason why it can't be on the grid pretty soon
Old 29 Jul 2023, 15:55 (Ref:4170425)   #149
gravin
Rookie

gravin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
TCRs are appearing all over the place in club racing in the UK, like the 750 Motor Club enduro events. They don't have to be confined to the TCR UK series (which is supposedly quite inexpensive compared to the BTCC anyway).
This is an interesting point - makes for a good club car, especially superseeded models which are quite cheap in reality.
Old 30 Jul 2023, 01:12 (Ref:4170490)   #150
Mixer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravin View Post
This is an interesting point - makes for a good club car, especially superseeded models which are quite cheap in reality.
Except that they are really not, you have a single source of parts, they don't crash well at all, and relatively few are useful for any kind of endurance race.