Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 19 Dec 2022, 19:43 (Ref:4137599)   #176
BTCC frog
Veteran

BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Ok what connects the following
Jack Brabham
Jo Bonnier
Graham Hill
Bruce McLaren
Mario Andretti
Bruno Giacomelli
Riccardo Patrese
Nelson Piquet
Johnny Herbert
Jean Alesi
Michael Schumacher
Rubens Barrichello
Jarno Trulli
Pedro de la Rosa
Fernando Alonso
Kimi Raikkonen
Robert Kubica
Lewis Hamilton
Sebastian Vettel
Romain Grosjean
They all raced in three decades?
Old 19 Dec 2022, 19:58 (Ref:4137600)   #177
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
This is a very educational thread!

There’s a few on here that I’ve crossed swords with on a few issues, but I have to say there’s a lot of very good knowledge on here.
Old 19 Dec 2022, 22:58 (Ref:4137607)   #178
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTCC frog View Post
They all raced in three decades?

Close enough. Technically Giacomelli didn’t race in three decades, as in one of those decades he didn’t get further than pre qualifying in the infamous Life! But yes, they all competed in three different decades
Old 19 Dec 2022, 23:05 (Ref:4137609)   #179
BTCC frog
Veteran

BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Close enough. Technically Giacomelli didn’t race in three decades, as in one of those decades he didn’t get further than pre qualifying in the infamous Life! But yes, they all competed in three different decades
Thanks. I will defer my question to E.B who got the last one right.
Old 20 Dec 2022, 01:06 (Ref:4137614)   #180
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
OK Simple question in words.....
Which driver missed an F1 start because he was already at, or on the way, home?
Im not looking for Niki Lauda. That would be too easy.
Looking for the driver, race, year and circumstances

Bonus points if you can tell me the unique and likely never to be beaten (F1)record this person also holds. Again race, year etc.
Old 20 Dec 2022, 08:25 (Ref:4137623)   #181
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I know Otto Stuppacher failed to qualify for the 1976 Italian, but was moved up the grid after the farcical penalties to the two McLarens and Watson's Penske, but was already on the way home when he found out...
Old 20 Dec 2022, 08:43 (Ref:4137624)   #182
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
Bonus points if you can tell me the unique and likely never to be beaten (F1)record this person also holds. Again race, year etc.
And I think the record is at the 1976 United States Grand Prix East (Watkins Glen) where his qualifying time was over 27 seconds off the time of Hunt's pole position, a record gap in an official Formula 1 race which still stands today.
Old 20 Dec 2022, 08:45 (Ref:4137625)   #183
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I know Otto Stuppacher failed to qualify for the 1976 Italian, but was moved up the grid after the farcical penalties to the two McLarens and Watson's Penske, but was already on the way home when he found out...
Well. that is who I was thinking of. Well done. I thought it might have been trickier than that. I had clues lined up, with Lauda associations he has had..... from being also Austrian (as Lauda) and indeed when both were in their very early days (late sixties) shared a Porsche 910 at the Zeltweg 1000 with Lauda. Stuppacher progressed to a 3-litre Porsche 908/02 Spyder he purchased from Lauda.

Anyway no clues needed..... but there was part 2

Do you know of the F1 record he (Stuppacher) holds. Knowing the name that is easy to answer, I would imagine.

Edit: I notice "crm" was all over part 2, with indeed the correct answer.
Old 20 Dec 2022, 08:47 (Ref:4137626)   #184
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
CR, do not think that is correct as Pescarolo's Surtees was over 50 seconds slower than Hunts pole time for the 76 German GP.
Old 20 Dec 2022, 08:57 (Ref:4137628)   #185
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Heavy rain, Monza, he thought the race would be cancelled after qualy?
Edit: sorry was too slow, had Guy Edwards in mind, Stuppcher was obvious. good question EB.

Last edited by Gerard C; 20 Dec 2022 at 09:05.
Old 20 Dec 2022, 09:01 (Ref:4137629)   #186
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbs View Post
CR, do not think that is correct as Pescarolo's Surtees was over 50 seconds slower than Hunts pole time for the 76 German GP.
I think you might have that on looking Bob. Funnily enough I see Pesca ran Stuppacher close at the USGP also.... HP actually qualified for the race, with a time just a few seconds faster than Otto..... and only 21.589 secs slower than Hunt.

In fact on looking up the qualifying times at the German race I see qualifying positions 25-26 were all more than 32.1 and 42.0 seconds off Hunt, and both qualified! (Edwards and Pesenti-Rossi)

Perhaps 42 seconds is in fact the largest spread of those who actually qualified and started a race
Old 20 Dec 2022, 09:15 (Ref:4137631)   #187
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Chris, have a look at the grid for Pescara GP. Brabham was 1min 50 behind Fangio, will have to look at some early GP's at Nurburgring times now.
Old 20 Dec 2022, 09:51 (Ref:4137633)   #188
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Chris, have a look at the grid for Pescara GP. Brabham was 1min 50 behind Fangio, will have to look at some early GP's at Nurburgring times now.
I can sort of cope with Pescara given the length of the lap (mind you its only 4 or 5 klms longer than Nordschleife). Lack of official practice prior to qualifying maybe. Excuses aside the fact is even if you factor in it being a lap length 4 or 5 times some tracks it is still a mighty gap.

None the less, remarkable.
Also that Fangio failed to win the race, although I believe he had a medical issue.

Quick highlights of Pescara in upscaled quality https://youtu.be/26ux3ohj9lQ

Just looked at the 50's German GPs.... As you suggested!
1956 pole is over 40kph faster average lap speed from 1st to last! 4min 45 secs lap difference!
Old 20 Dec 2022, 10:38 (Ref:4137640)   #189
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
Just looked at the 50's German GPs.... As you suggested!
1956 pole is over 40kph faster average lap speed from 1st to last! 4min 45 secs lap difference!
Strange GP results, 6 finishers and 5 classified with Godia playing is own interpretation of the tortoise and the hare. Driving on the old Nürbur shows quickly that for an absolute beginner its easy to be far behind any ringmeister. If you like to stay alive I mean!
Old 20 Dec 2022, 11:24 (Ref:4137654)   #190
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think the record attributed to Stuppacher is percentage of pole time (>125%) as opposed to pure time gap.
Old 20 Dec 2022, 13:41 (Ref:4137663)   #191
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
I think the record attributed to Stuppacher is percentage of pole time (>125%) as opposed to pure time gap.
Looking back - I am unsure now if this is even accurate.

There have been occasions with larger gaps in terms of time and percentage compared to Otto Stuppacher's 1976 Watkins Glen performance - so I am unsure why many sources seem to indicate this as 'the record'
Old 20 Dec 2022, 15:03 (Ref:4137680)   #192
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
There have been occasions with larger gaps in terms of time and percentage compared to Otto Stuppacher's 1976 Watkins Glen performance - so I am unsure why many sources seem to indicate this as 'the record'
Who (if anyone) governs motorsports "records". I guess the FIA handles things like "land speed records" and FAI for air and no doubt other organizations for other more "serious" things with "Guinness World Records" handling all the other shlock.

My guess is this stuff is tribal knowledge, gains relevance by it being repeated and could be wrong!

Richard
Old 21 Dec 2022, 02:03 (Ref:4137720)   #193
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Moving on to the next question.....

Griff got the main part of the last question correct first, but then rbs showed us the errors re the question part 2 that exist online with the erroneous "Tribal Knowledge" that Richard mentioned, and it sparked some interesting and educational corrective discussion on the gaps from first to last GP qualifiers.....so I would say whoever out of Griff and rbs posts a question first gets the gong. Hope that is seen as fair...

Last edited by E.B; 21 Dec 2022 at 02:09.
Old 21 Dec 2022, 08:12 (Ref:4137733)   #194
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
OK, what is the highest number of revs recorded on an engine in a Grand Prix?
Old 21 Dec 2022, 08:25 (Ref:4137735)   #195
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
20,500 rpm?

Motorsport Magazine, April 2007 - "Yet even within such tightly defined parameters, the RS26 engine displayed a superb combination of performance, economy, driveability and heat rejection. In comparison to the competition it displayed much the same advantages as had the previous 72-deg V10 designed to a much freer set of regulations. There were four performance upgrades during the year and in ‘E’ specification it was believed to produce circa 775bhp at circa 20,500rpm. In original Bahrain form these figures were more like 725bhp at 19,200rpm."

Last edited by crmalcolm; 21 Dec 2022 at 08:37.
Old 21 Dec 2022, 08:41 (Ref:4137736)   #196
bludvl_x19
Veteran

Australia
umop apisdn
bludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
~40,000 RPM?
Old 21 Dec 2022, 08:44 (Ref:4137737)   #197
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
Blud is correct but what engine was it?
Old 21 Dec 2022, 09:10 (Ref:4137738)   #198
S griffin
Veteran

The BMW turbo engine in the Brabham in 1984?
Old 21 Dec 2022, 09:39 (Ref:4137741)   #199
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
Quote:
The BMW turbo engine in the Brabham in 1984?
No.
Old 21 Dec 2022, 09:51 (Ref:4137742)   #200
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
No.
The only thing I can think of without researching it is the Pratt and Whitney Turbine that Lotus experimented with back in I think 1971.