Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 21 Dec 2022, 10:01 (Ref:4137744)   #201
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
May be Malcolm is right with 20 500 rpm, must work not only for Renault but BMW and Honda. How can we justify any answer knowing that this is a well kept secret? The second needle tends to disappear together with the chronometric system.
Old 21 Dec 2022, 10:01 (Ref:4137745)   #202
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Gosh, EB you're a real killer!!!! And your english is almost perfect…
Old 21 Dec 2022, 10:36 (Ref:4137749)   #203
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbs View Post
OK, what is the highest number of revs recorded on an engine in a Grand Prix?
Looking into this further, I think the answer may lie in the MGU-H which revs at 125,000rpm.
Old 21 Dec 2022, 10:44 (Ref:4137750)   #204
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
The only thing I can think of without researching it is the Pratt and Whitney Turbine that Lotus experimented with back in I think 1971.
I think you're on to something there. The STN 6/76 modified turbine engine ran the main shaft at something approaching 45k rpm (according to Mr Wikipedia, anyway).
Old 21 Dec 2022, 10:51 (Ref:4137752)   #205
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
I think you're on to something there. The STN 6/76 modified turbine engine ran the main shaft at something approaching 45k rpm (according to Mr Wikipedia, anyway).
This seems to be the answer.

I guess it depends on whether the question refers to the main PU (which I think it does), or rpm of any component of the engine (which would mean the MGU-H or similar)?
Old 21 Dec 2022, 10:54 (Ref:4137753)   #206
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
That is the right engine Chris, originally quoted in magazines as 38000 to 46000 revs, no one seems to agree. It is now quoted as 100% on the N1 & N2 gauges which is beyond me!
Old 21 Dec 2022, 11:00 (Ref:4137754)   #207
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Bob, N1/N2/N3 (for some turbine engines) are the percentage of nominal rotation for the fan & low pressure compressor (N1) and high pressure compressor (N2, engine core).

'Nominal' is a manufacturer specification, so it's possible to push a turbine engine to >100% N1/N2 for specified periods.
Old 21 Dec 2022, 14:45 (Ref:4137779)   #208
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Bob, N1/N2/N3 (for some turbine engines) are the percentage of nominal rotation for the fan & low pressure compressor (N1) and high pressure compressor (N2, engine core).

'Nominal' is a manufacturer specification, so it's possible to push a turbine engine to >100% N1/N2 for specified periods.
Thanks Graeme.
Old 22 Dec 2022, 09:47 (Ref:4137834)   #209
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bludvl_x19 View Post
~40,000 RPM?
So with that being the correct answer as to how many RPM is the F1 race record, you get to ask the next question.
Old 23 Dec 2022, 01:23 (Ref:4137917)   #210
bludvl_x19
Veteran

Australia
umop apisdn
bludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm in awe of the knowledge in this group, so I've tried to make it something a bit abstract, hopefully its possible to figure out...

What specific car links the 1968 Singapore GP winner, and the 1976 F1 World Champion? And then, what is the personal significance of the occasion that the '76 World Champion drove it?
Old 23 Dec 2022, 01:39 (Ref:4137918)   #211
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bludvl_x19 View Post
I

What specific car links the 1968 Singapore GP winner, and the 1976 F1 World Champion? And then, what is the personal significance of the occasion that the '76 World Champion drove it?
So as not to spoil the fun I'll defer answering because by chance I was reading of this recently and thus able to answer all parts of the question. Good question though.
Old 23 Dec 2022, 07:05 (Ref:4137926)   #212
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Elfin MR8B Chev.
29 October 1978, his final race win at the Winton ‘Rose City 10000’?
Old 23 Dec 2022, 08:06 (Ref:4137929)   #213
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Elfin MR8B Chev.
I think that could be the right answer
Old 23 Dec 2022, 12:28 (Ref:4137948)   #214
bludvl_x19
Veteran

Australia
umop apisdn
bludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Elfin MR8B Chev.
Yep, got it in one. The next question is yours.
Old 23 Dec 2022, 12:38 (Ref:4137949)   #215
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Elfin MR8B Chev.

If anyone cares, other F1 drivers of the era to race MR8 Elfins were Didier Pironi, Vern Schuppan and Larrie Perkins.
Pironi ran MR8 Chassis #8761 at the 1980 Australian GP at Calder. (He was meant to drive the new MR9 but it was brand new and untested, so Cooper drove it and put Pironi in the older car..)

Schuppan drove the same MR8 as Hunt (#8783) at the 1978 Australian GP at Sandown, and crashed it, the month prior to Hunt winning in #8783 at Winton. Garry Cooper also crashed an MR8 separately in that 1978 AGP (MR8 #8761) so a bad weekend for Elfin MR8's

Shuppan actually had MR8 #8772 as well.... Vern ran that car converted to a Can Am car, and that he used in over 15 races in the US iduring 1978-1979 and 1 in 1980

As far as I know only 3 MR8s were built.

The Hunt #8783 car still races regularly in Historic Races in Australia

1978 Aus GP (before it became a WDC event) highlights if anyone is interested. https://youtu.be/P8yGXAIgYr0

(It shows both Elfin MR8 incidents c 13 minutes in)
Old 23 Dec 2022, 13:44 (Ref:4137955)   #216
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
If anyone cares, other F1 drivers of the era to race MR8 Elfins were Didier Pironi, Vern Schuppan and Larrie Perkins.

So - on to the next question:
  • Reigning World Champion Alberto Ascari set a new record for most Grand Prix victories, scoring the seventh win of his career at Zandvoort.
  • Stuart Lewis-Evans took his first podium finish and Maria Teresa de Filippis became the first woman to complete a Formula 1 Grand Prix.
  • Innes Ireland made his World Championship debut and scored, finishing in fourth place for Lotus.
  • John Surtees, who on the previous day had taken the final pole position for the Cooper team – and the final pole for a Maserati engine – won the event.
  • Carlos Pace made his Formula 1 debut, while Peter Revson recorded the first podium finish of his career.
  • Ligier dominated the race, with Jacques Laffite leading home a 1-2 finish for the team. This race was the only one in which Laffite scored a Grand Slam in his career. Laffite took pole position, led every lap and scored the fastest lap of the race on his way to victory.
  • Riccardo Patrese won for Brabham, while Jean-Pierre Jarier, Bruno Giacomelli and Danny Sullivan made their final appearances.
  • Damon Hill finished second, scoring Williams’ 200th podium finish. Martin Brundle finished in third place for Ligier, finishing on the podium for the final time in his career.
  • Mika Hakkinen led home a McLaren 1-2. Both Sauber drivers retired from the race despite a strong showing from Jean Alesi on the previous day, who qualified in fifth place.
What links these races and nine other F1 drivers? Who (AFAIK) are the only nine drivers in the history of F1 who hold this distinction.
Can you name all nine drivers?
Old 23 Dec 2022, 15:06 (Ref:4137967)   #217
BTCC frog
Veteran

BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!
Quote:

So - on to the next question:
  • Reigning World Champion Alberto Ascari set a new record for most Grand Prix victories, scoring the seventh win of his career at Zandvoort.
    Dutch GP 1952
  • Stuart Lewis-Evans took his first podium finish and Maria Teresa de Filippis became the first woman to complete a Formula 1 Grand Prix.
    Belgian GP 1958
  • Innes Ireland made his World Championship debut and scored, finishing in fourth place for Lotus.
    Dutch GP 1959
  • John Surtees, who on the previous day had taken the final pole position for the Cooper team – and the final pole for a Maserati engine – won the event.
    Mexican GP 1966
  • Carlos Pace made his Formula 1 debut, while Peter Revson recorded the first podium finish of his career.
    South African GP 1972
  • Ligier dominated the race, with Jacques Laffite leading home a 1-2 finish for the team. This race was the only one in which Laffite scored a Grand Slam in his career. Laffite took pole position, led every lap and scored the fastest lap of the race on his way to victory.
    Brazilian GP 1979
  • Riccardo Patrese won for Brabham, while Jean-Pierre Jarier, Bruno Giacomelli and Danny Sullivan made their final appearances.
    South African GP 1983
  • Damon Hill finished second, scoring Williams’ 200th podium finish. Martin Brundle finished in third place for Ligier, finishing on the podium for the final time in his career.
    Belgian GP 1995
  • Mika Hakkinen led home a McLaren 1-2. Both Sauber drivers retired from the race despite a strong showing from Jean Alesi on the previous day, who qualified in fifth place.
    Austrian GP 1998?
What links these races and nine other F1 drivers? Who (AFAIK) are the only nine drivers in the history of F1 who hold this distinction.
Can you name all nine drivers?
Still need to find the link, though.
Old 23 Dec 2022, 15:10 (Ref:4137968)   #218
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTCC frog View Post
Still need to find the link, though.
The last one is not the right race.
Old 23 Dec 2022, 16:01 (Ref:4137974)   #219
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
The last one is not the right race.
Spain 1999
Old 23 Dec 2022, 16:24 (Ref:4137978)   #220
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Spain 1999
Yes - that's the race.

What links those specific races and nine other F1 drivers?
And who are the nine?
Old 23 Dec 2022, 16:32 (Ref:4137980)   #221
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Ahead of the weekend, and in the likelihood that this thread might go quiet for a few days - I's like to take this opportunity to thank BTCC frog for starting this thread.

As has been shown - trivia can cause disagreements, and the age of certain F1 details means that reliability is not always a given. So I'd also like to thank everyone who has contributed so far - and express gratitude for the lack of 'point scoring' and 'nit-picking' in the responses. I hope that others have taken the same from this thread that I have - in terms of being exposed to parts of F1 history that they may otherwise have been unaware of and in researching questions or answers, their knowledge has broadened.

Old 23 Dec 2022, 17:59 (Ref:4137987)   #222
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
trivia can cause disagreements
Oh, no it can't!

And I must say that I agree with you, this is a good thread but I'll be damned if I have any idea what links the people you mentioned!
Old 23 Dec 2022, 18:13 (Ref:4137989)   #223
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
I'll be damned if I have any idea what links the people you mentioned!
If it looks like people are struggling, I'll put clues on in due course...
Old 23 Dec 2022, 18:18 (Ref:4137991)   #224
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
And I must say that I agree with you, this is a good thread but I'll be damned if I have any idea what links the people you mentioned!
Agreed!
Old 23 Dec 2022, 20:44 (Ref:4138013)   #225
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I's like to take this opportunity to thank BTCC frog for starting this thread.
Agree! Usually trivia is not my thing but I have very much enjoyed this thread.

Richard