Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Motorsport Art & Photography

Old 29 Apr 2005, 11:22 (Ref:1290042)   #1
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
MikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Mallory Park & Lydden Hill, good photography spots

I'm shooting at both of these circuits in the not too distant future, and I've never been to either, so I was wondering if anyone could give me advice on best places to take pictures from etc. Cheers!
Old 29 Apr 2005, 13:04 (Ref:1290097)   #2
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Mike
It's all down to position of the Sun.
In side Devils Elbow is good as you can catch people coming through the Esses, exiteing Shaws hairpin and then sweeping through the elbow.
Inside Shaws Hairpin can be fun and hairy
Old 29 Apr 2005, 13:24 (Ref:1290111)   #3
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Paul's first suggestion (on the inside of the circuit on the hairpin loop) offers the biggest variety of shots during one race as you can move around to get several different angles witout actually having to walk too far.
Old 29 Apr 2005, 13:34 (Ref:1290121)   #4
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
MikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
We're talking about Mallory, regarding the hairpin?
Old 29 Apr 2005, 13:35 (Ref:1290123)   #5
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes..you can also get shots from behind of the start from inside the Elbow
Old 29 Apr 2005, 16:12 (Ref:1290218)   #6
e30nerd
Rookie

United Kingdom
North Kent
e30nerd should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lydden is reasonable even if you don't have trackside access. The hair-pin is good for some slow speed or opposite lock action, but for the faster speeds you want the bottom of the hill near the pit exit. TBH there is only a small section of the track that you can't see all the time, so it is a great spectator circuit with nice short laps.

I have loads of shots from Lydden on my web site E30 NERD

Infact I'll be at Lydden on Monday.

Mallory is a longer circuit, I've only been there once. I found the best as other said was Shaws hairpin. At shaws there are some other nice features such as the house and the tree etc that can give a nice backdrop. However, from near Edwinas you could get a good view of the cars going up the hill through Lake Esses and onto Shaws in the distance. At Devils Elbow you can almost lean out above the cars!! They get very close. If you have to walk around the outside, prepair for a hike!

Have a look at the etracks web site if you want a feel for the layout
Old 29 Apr 2005, 19:20 (Ref:1290311)   #7
Gnomex
Veteran

Gnomex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Never been to Lydden?. Well... it's not what you call a modern circuit but it is v good for spectating (or with a camera). Why is it not modern? Well... a certain McLaren actually own it and were going to redevelop it for a test track (which never happened for various reasons) so it is sort of locked in a time warp from quite a few years ago. Mind you, a number of drivers have said kind words about the track.

Need to eat at Lydden? - my favourite snack bar is Gail's, which looks like an old horse box. Err.... it is an old horse box (but don't let that put you off!).
Old 29 Apr 2005, 21:38 (Ref:1290374)   #8
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
You cant really call it a hike walking around Mallory as its only just over a mile long. My little girl can handle it about 3 times a day no sweat
Five times around Silverstone during the LMES thats what I call hiking
Old 30 Apr 2005, 00:22 (Ref:1290415)   #9
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
Wow, I did twice I think, and I thought that was enough!

They both sound like good circuits for photos anyway.
Old 30 Apr 2005, 08:34 (Ref:1290520)   #10
e30nerd
Rookie

United Kingdom
North Kent
e30nerd should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulSands
You cant really call it a hike walking around Mallory as its only just over a mile long. My little girl can handle it about 3 times a day no sweat
Five times around Silverstone during the LMES thats what I call hiking

Yep your right there, when I was there it was raining and was a track day, so I was taking my time getting around - it just felt longer!!
Old 30 Apr 2005, 20:09 (Ref:1290722)   #11
JamesC
Racer

United Kingdom
London, UK
JamesC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I love shooing at Mallory - inside the hairpin loop is great!