Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 10 Sep 2002, 01:58 (Ref:377044)   #1
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
Update on Gil De Ferran

Gil de Ferran will not take part in this weekends Texas race after his shunt during the chicago race according to the IRL website.
de Ferran suffered a concussion and a hairline fracture of his left wrist in a crash on Lap 52 in the No. 6 Marlboro Team Penske Dallara/Chevrolet/Firestone. He was released Sept. 9 from St. James Hospital in Olympia Fields, Ill., and was fitted with a splint for his injured wrist.

I find that a shame as Gil as mathematically he could stioll take the title but of course his safety and physical condition have and should come first at all times.

so get well soon Gil and come back next year better than ever.

wich raises the question will penske just run Helio and concentrate on possibly winning the series for him or will they run the second car for someone else ???
Old 10 Sep 2002, 02:55 (Ref:377058)   #2
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Interesting point to ponder, Marcus. My bet is that there will be two cars. Marlboro will see to that. Who's it gonna be?
Old 10 Sep 2002, 03:52 (Ref:377062)   #3
rush1
Veteran

rush1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Scheckter would be an interesting if he is not contractually bound to Cheever. So would Max Papis.

Is CART running next week? Maybe the captain could hire Paul Tracy?
Old 10 Sep 2002, 08:54 (Ref:377174)   #4
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
i dont think PT would do an IRL race...what did he say? summin about crapwagons? i think Scheckter would be a better bet

Last edited by Down F0rce; 10 Sep 2002 at 08:55.
Old 10 Sep 2002, 13:39 (Ref:377408)   #5
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Of coruse Scheckter's confusing contractual situation is under discussion in anotehr thread. Lots of guys are available, but Roger will have to decide whether to blood a young driver or use someone experienced. Surely he isn't in the driver market for anyone next season, so maybe he should go for points with a driver with IRL experience, maybe Memo or Tomas. Does he have any Brazillian sponsors to keep happy?
Old 10 Sep 2002, 14:31 (Ref:377441)   #6
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Whatever became of Gualter Salles? He's driven for Penske before. Likewise Jan Magnussen.
Old 10 Sep 2002, 15:17 (Ref:377470)   #7
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Magnussen races for Panoz in ALMS, dunno if theres a race on then or what...of corse, if i had the captains email addy i would offer my talant

Last edited by Down F0rce; 10 Sep 2002 at 15:18.
Old 10 Sep 2002, 16:50 (Ref:377498)   #8
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Salles never drove for Penske. Tarso Marques was the one who drove the PC27B in 1999.

Good bet should be Papis.
Old 10 Sep 2002, 18:24 (Ref:377552)   #9
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
Ah, but of course! Got Salles and Marques mixed up. The team will only be looking for a one-off driver, someone who might be able to deliver. Therefore, Scheckter, Papis and Gidley would all be prime candidates. The first two have won on ovals before, and Gidley always seems to be up to the task.
Old 10 Sep 2002, 18:51 (Ref:377568)   #10
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
Just thinking out loud...

I continue to have suspicions about CART's Fontana event. Surely Penske still owns his chassis from last year. Wonder if he'll buy the update kit, lease a couple of engines, and show up for qualifying at Fontana in search of the million-dollar payday. Gil would be ready for that one.
Old 10 Sep 2002, 19:18 (Ref:377575)   #11
tanalised
Veteran

New Zealand
new zealand
tanalised should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
do you rackon macdaddy.
that'd be rather cynical of Penske and I'd be disapointed if CART allowed them them to do that. Why would you want to let losers back?
Old 10 Sep 2002, 23:31 (Ref:377753)   #12
greg.n
Racer

greg.n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Penske said in an interview at the end of last year that he could run in both series but it depended on what his sponsors wanted.(he said this a few days before he announced he was going to the IRL.) I think it's highly unlikely.
Old 10 Sep 2002, 23:56 (Ref:377766)   #13
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Penske may be welcomed back by the administration, but not by the fans.
Old 11 Sep 2002, 10:59 (Ref:377862)   #14
StuiE
Veteran

StuiE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Jordi
I think Salles never drove for Penske. Tarso Marques was the one who drove the PC27B in 1999.

...and Gonzalo Rodiguez its been three years today.

"I think we broke something.......Traction" -Carl Edwards 19/8/06 MIS

05 - Peter Brock
Old 11 Sep 2002, 11:01 (Ref:377866)   #15
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was in Monza when I read about Gonzo in the Gazzetta. A sad day, and thank G*d we didn't have another one after Gil's accident.

He used to have nightmares about being killed on an oval. All his serious accidents have been on ovals.