Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 27 Mar 2003, 07:02 (Ref:549631)   #1
Sid The Manager
Racer

Sid The Manager should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Girl Power

Apparently CMS are running their Viper GTSR in British GT this year with an all girl driver line up, said to be Amanda Stretton, Vicki Butler Henderson and Annie Templeton.

More should be known after todays media day at Silverstone.
Old 27 Mar 2003, 08:17 (Ref:549677)   #2
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Clearly a media exercise.2 reporters and Annie who frankly going by her BTCC results will not cut it. Please CMS hire Rachel Green & Amanda Whitaker.

Last edited by Rob29; 27 Mar 2003 at 08:19.
Old 27 Mar 2003, 08:31 (Ref:549680)   #3
egor
Veteran

Wales
N.Wales
egor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Vicki Butler Henderson is ****. Did you see when she competed on the Silverstone rally sprint course, she had to have Louise Aitken Walker sat next to her to change gear - in a car with a sequential gearbox.

I hope if she drives she will bring a lot of money to the team as she has not much else to offer!
Old 30 Mar 2003, 16:18 (Ref:552951)   #4
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Speaking of the Fairer Sex and those who can drive:

There is a young woman now in Toyota Atlantic, Danica Patrick, who really seems to have her act together...not a novelty item when it come sto talent...

Anybody know anything about her?

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 30 Mar 2003, 16:35 (Ref:552957)   #5
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
media stunt - sure, but it will highlight to women that racing is a sport they can do, its the same reason theres an all black team in the uniroyal team challenge.
Old 30 Mar 2003, 17:35 (Ref:552998)   #6
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No, it will highlight to women that it's something "girls" can do if they are "celebrities" and/or Hot Babes -- no driving talent necessary.

Is the "all black team" a private business or was it put together by the organizers to prove their Liberal Credentials? If the former, then its composition makes no difference; if the latter, it's reprehensible.
Old 30 Mar 2003, 18:31 (Ref:553036)   #7
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
a publicity stunt, to raise awareness of both the series and of diversity in motorsport, and to make a point to the motorsport community that there are black racers and to the black community an introduction to motorsport. The team is called "roots" and the catchline is "motorsport - whatever your are."

Last edited by ss_collins; 30 Mar 2003 at 18:34.
Old 30 Mar 2003, 19:08 (Ref:553050)   #8
FG1
Veteran

FG1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Liz
Is the "all black team" a private business or was it put together by the organizers to prove their Liberal Credentials? If the former, then its composition makes no difference; if the latter, it's reprehensible.
I wish you were right Liz, but I doubt you are.

FG
Old 30 Mar 2003, 19:15 (Ref:553052)   #9
gi_gav
Veteran

Scotland
gi_gav should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgi_gav should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Although a media-driven 'all women' or 'all black' team might seem reprehensible at first, if it results in motorsport diversifying beyond its current white-male-middle class base, then its not necessarily a bad thing
Old 30 Mar 2003, 19:18 (Ref:553055)   #10
FG1
Veteran

FG1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by gi_gav
Although a media-driven 'all women' or 'all black' team might seem reprehensible at first, if it results in motorsport diversifying beyond its current white-male-middle class base, then its not necessarily a bad thing
My point exactly. I wish it weren't so, but it probably is.

FG
Old 30 Mar 2003, 20:46 (Ref:553126)   #11
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Egor, I cannot comment about Annie Templeton but have seen both Amanda and VB-H race. Have you? I recall Vicki driving off the back of the grid to midfield position in the wet at Thruxton about 3 years ago in the Ginetta series. Come on,
Give them a chance.
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!
Old 30 Mar 2003, 21:10 (Ref:553152)   #12
blueflagger
Veteran

blueflagger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridblueflagger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If the women are serious about racing, I can't blame them for using their sex to grab sponsors and media attention. Anything to afford a better car.

However, it does sound like a publicity stunt. I hope that doesn't mean they are incompetent or dangerous drivers. That's the scariest part about celebrity drivers in professional events. They aren't allowed to play pro sports just because they are celebs so why do we allow them in race cars?
Old 30 Mar 2003, 21:32 (Ref:553170)   #13
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
well black drivers have been competing as everyday drivers for a few years and have been largely ignored by the black community and a black driver is still a novelty (as are women drivers) the odd stunt doesn't go amiss to increase participation and diversity in the sport.
Old 30 Mar 2003, 21:52 (Ref:553195)   #14
blueflagger
Veteran

blueflagger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridblueflagger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Actually, in the US, we see more female drivers than black drivers in road racing (and very few black females). But the same still applies. If they are serious drivers and they can use their color to attract sponsors and publicity, more power to them.

But if they are just after publicity and not really interested in racing, they are probably dangerous. This applies to white males too.
Old 31 Mar 2003, 02:28 (Ref:553346)   #15
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One of the best teams (now 3 cars) in Speed World Challenge touring cars is Turner Motorsports and it is owned and operated by a Black man. But I haven't heard anybody comment at any time "Hey, Will Turner is Black!" or make any connection between his success and his colour. That's the way it ought to be, IMO.

The problem with putting teams together for publicity's sake is that it tends to tar all the members of that group with the same brush, i.e. "Look, if we give them their own team, they can race too!" Doesn't it raise false ideas such as that (1) because I belong to the Spotlighted Group, you ought to give ME my own team too, or (2) since there aren't any except on teams we create, ,the only way they can be successful is if we give them their own team?
Old 31 Mar 2003, 06:51 (Ref:553450)   #16
Sid The Manager
Racer

Sid The Manager should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
People are forgetting a couple of things here.
Historically women used to compete much more than they do now.
In the current climate, money is very hard to come by, and something different is needed to attract sponsors, if the end result is some competent female racers being out there, why should we worry, its one less racing car gathering dust with no money to run it, too many more of them and the sport disappears and nobody wants that
Old 31 Mar 2003, 07:19 (Ref:553472)   #17
Cynic
Veteran

England
Somwhere Near Reading.UK
Cynic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The key phrase is "competent female racers". Having seen all three drivers in action at various circuits, Amamda and Vicky are both fairly good pedallers, but I can see no reason at all to include Annie Templeton in that category. I think her inclusion is a bad mistake if the team intend to be taken as serious competitors.
Old 31 Mar 2003, 11:49 (Ref:553667)   #18
Liz
Veteran

True -- why not support women who have already proved their competence if you want to support women racers? Instead of making up a celebrity team willing to pose?
Old 31 Mar 2003, 12:11 (Ref:553688)   #19
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
cos there aint enough of them, stunts are needed
Old 31 Mar 2003, 12:17 (Ref:553693)   #20
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally posted by Liz
True -- why not support women who have already proved their competence if you want to support women racers? Instead of making up a celebrity team willing to pose?
Although I see exactly where you're coming from, I don't really see any difference between this particular case and any other driver who buys a ride in sportscars/GTs, except that they may get more media attention than their results might otherwise warrant.

Both Amanda Stretton and Vicki Butler-Henderson are fairly experienced racers-in fact both were racing before they became involved in the media and acquired any kind of 'celebrity' status. Amanda Stretton has raced historic cars for a number of years, and I can remember seeing VB-H driving (in a Formula Ford if memory serves) at Brands Hatch a few years before her TV debut
Old 31 Mar 2003, 12:22 (Ref:553701)   #21
egor
Veteran

Wales
N.Wales
egor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hope VBH and the other ladies involved in this project prove me and who everelse wrong and do a very good job, not just go round at the back of the feild and get in the way.

Only time will tell whether this team comes up with the goods or not.

I wish them all the best for the season ahead.
Old 31 Mar 2003, 12:33 (Ref:553719)   #22
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
KA and Liz make the best points here...

A Few Examples (regardless of Gender)

Sarah Fisher has talent...she's runing hard on a "race-to-race" budget this season and ran 2nd in the last IRL race right under Tony Kanaan's rear wing for many laps befoe finishing 7th or 8th with a Chevy engine that has less power than the Toyota or Honda...

Sarah deseves top equipment and good funding...she will make good use of it and win...

Another female, Lyn St. James, was so clueless one year at Indy that she couldn't tell her engineers what the car was doing on the track...the team hired John Andretti (who was in town just to watch proceedings) to jump in the car just to tell the eam what needed to be changed...within a few hours, the chassis was up to speed and squared away..

Lyn had no business being on the track...

And finally, who can ever forget Hiro Matsushida???

A wealthy heir to Panasonic, he had the money to buy state-of-the-art equipment, but had zero talent...he was always way off the pace and journalists even dubbed him "the moving road block" and "the human traffic cone." he didn't even have enough sense to stay out of the racing line to keep from hoilding up the leaders....

He had even less business being on the track than Lyn St. James...

I, too, hope that people would select women with talent for these efforts, and not just for the hype...racing desrves the best to be on the track for the fans, but morn important, for safety of all competitors...

Old 31 Mar 2003, 14:20 (Ref:553801)   #23
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Seem to remember Lyn St.James leading a TransAm race at Pheonix,so she can't have been that bad.
Old 31 Mar 2003, 14:48 (Ref:553822)   #24
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
in her defense, she did qualify in the Top Ten (after Andretti set up the car for her) but in the Indy race that year, she had to retire early, because the conditions were much different on Race Day and he car handled so poorly that she couldn't drive it...

Maybe "no business being on the track" is too harsh...but she didn't have the talent that other women, like Sarah, have...

Lyn also had enough ability to not be a hinderance or a safety factor in the races she did run....certainly a better driver than Hiro

Old 31 Mar 2003, 15:10 (Ref:553864)   #25
Burton
Rookie

Burton should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you want more info regarding Danica Patrick you could try looking at the FHM USA website, some very nice picture for you to drool over, don't remember her looking quite like that when she was over here but bloody nice all the same!
http://www.fhmus.com/girls/covergirls/220/

Last edited by Burton; 31 Mar 2003 at 15:12.