Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > National & Club Racing

Old 6 Jun 2005, 08:21 (Ref:1321115)   #1
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Silverstone - Yesterday (5 June)

I have been attending meetings at Silverstone since the late 60's from club to international events. Yesterday, I went there for the BRSCC Clubmans Race Day. The weather was cloudy but bright and the the racing was close with plenty of dicing down the field in most races. BUT, where were the spectators? I'm used to going to poorly attended race meetings but this appeared to the worse ever. I'd love to know how many tickets and programmes were sold to members of the public not associated with the teams, marshals or press!

Anyone attend, or have comments about this?
Old 6 Jun 2005, 10:53 (Ref:1321213)   #2
graeme
Veteran

United Kingdom
Macclesfield
graeme should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Was racing at Silverstone on Saturday and couldn't see (m)any spectators from the track - although there were quite a few in Woodcote grandstand when I went there later in the day. It's general thought that Silverstone isn't good for spectating at club meetings (though Woodcote grandstand was really good to watch - but you never know what stands might be open) - certainly trying to watch your mates races from the infield is difficult. Perhaps two race meetings in the weekend diluted the spectators. And the Silverstone website doesn't encourage spectators along ("club racing, £12 entry" is about all it said about Saturday)
Old 6 Jun 2005, 15:57 (Ref:1321476)   #3
Snapper Baz
Race Official
Veteran

England
Las Vegas, NV. USA
Snapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
With rain forcast, SCSA on at Rockingham and BTCC at Brands its no wonder really is it! In fact, it was probably the worst turn-out I'd seen at Rockingham as well with very poor spectator turn-out. I think the useless weather forcast prevented many going out. I Drove to Silverstone to catch the Ford Saloons and noticed just a few dots in the stands etc.
Old 6 Jun 2005, 16:15 (Ref:1321495)   #4
LC2guy
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
LC2guy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridLC2guy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I live in silverstone and have a yearly pass, so go along to most meetings. I would have been there saturday and sunday but i have just become a father again, so am staying home a bit at the moment. What i do notice though, at most club meetings when i sit in the woodcote grandstand ( always seems to be the only one open ) is that i sit there all afternoon with my eldest son and as one race finishes, all the other "spectators" cheer and clap their mate/husband/son/daughter and then disappear back to the pits, to be replaced 2 minutes later by a new bunch of "spectators" to cheer and clap their mate/husband/son/daughter . I often feel like the only person present who doesn't actually know anyone racing that day. Despite this, i always have a great time, club racing is rarely dull, and i may be biased but i think Silverstone is a great venue for clubbies. The only sad thing is that a couple of times it has piddled with rain and i have been the only goddam person in the place to witness a great race, and i only have a 3 year old to talk to about it !!!!!!!
Old 6 Jun 2005, 17:45 (Ref:1321586)   #5
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't like Silverstone at all, I'm afraid. The only two things that make it palatable to me are FF1600 (thank you James) and 750MC events. If I was a paying punter and lived next door to Silverstone but there was another meeting on at Mallory, I'd drive.
Old 7 Jun 2005, 20:39 (Ref:1322700)   #6
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Sowman
I don't like Silverstone at all, I'm afraid. The only two things that make it palatable to me are FF1600 (thank you James) and 750MC events. If I was a paying punter and lived next door to Silverstone but there was another meeting on at Mallory, I'd drive.
I went one better & moved from near Silverstone to right outside Mallory.
I still go to Marshal @ Silverstone (mainly clubbys) for 2 reasons:
1) Brooklands on the Club circuit & Abbey on the International are my 2 favourite coners in the UK to marshal at.
2) After 20 something years of going there, the other Marshals are "Family"
Old 7 Jun 2005, 20:52 (Ref:1322714)   #7
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, I agree it compares well with some circuits in Europe, but it's by no means near the top. Look at`the Ring, not a regular G.P circuit, but it's got loads of "Permernant Stands", a Museum, a shop, etc, etc
Old 8 Jun 2005, 22:12 (Ref:1323535)   #8
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

I would have attended one of the days over that weekend if my camera hadn't packed up the previous weekend and was being repaired.

I've been to Silverstone 7 times so far this season ( 200 mile round trip) and apart from the FIA GT/WTCC meeting it's been empty every time. Most events you can see more marshals than paying spectators around the Luffield area.

My local track, Castle Combe, on the other hand is packed out for small club events because they market the meetings and also run their own championships which attract a big following.
Old 11 Jun 2005, 18:30 (Ref:1325809)   #9
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
As you can see, I live at Mallory Park, every Thursday in the Hinckley Times, the circuit lets us know what's on that weekend, be it cars, bikes or as today a rally. They normally have at least 3 pages of pictures & reports every week of the previous weekends action.
Old 6 Jun 2005, 18:21 (Ref:1321618)   #10
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
chezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well I love silverstone and would probably pay to go there, if I didn't marshal!!
Old 6 Jun 2005, 18:45 (Ref:1321637)   #11
Grandslammer
Veteran

Wales
Grandslammer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've marshalled at Silverstone for over 20 years and love the place....It,s just that b£££££ drive!!! Seems to get longer every time As far as attendance.....lot more meetings at Silverstone this year. We all(well I do)have some sort of budget to keep to.
Old 6 Jun 2005, 18:50 (Ref:1321644)   #12
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
OK chezza, what do you like about Silverstone? I'm genuinely interested.
Old 6 Jun 2005, 19:47 (Ref:1321694)   #13
Alfaholic
Veteran

England
Felixstowe
Alfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAlfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well they sold 1 entrance ticket & a programme to me at least. I decided to go to on Sunday instead of going to Brands Hatch, which I hold a Season Pass for, and (apart from the ARP race) I'm glad i did.

I think Snapper Baz has the reasons for the low turn-out covered. This was probably the smallest attendance I've seen at Silverstone for a Sunday meeting - for most of the morning there was only myself and another couple in the whole Luffield spectator area. There were probably more marshals than sectators over the day.
Old 7 Jun 2005, 08:31 (Ref:1322130)   #14
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfaholic
This was probably the smallest attendance I've seen at Silverstone for a Sunday meeting - for most of the morning there was only myself and another couple in the whole Luffield spectator area. There were probably more marshals than sectators over the day.
Alfaholic, KRT917 and myself (we were pit walking in the morning) were at Luffield for the afternoon and there was also an elderly couple who had table and chairs and were supping wine - very civilised! Apart from that, and the occasional group passing through (one lot with press passes, and another who were almost certainly supporting one of the Alfa drivers) that was pretty much the sum total all afternoon at Luffield. The stands in visual range had virtually no-one in them either.

Ian, I do like Silverstone and Luffield is a pretty good viewing place. As you know, I do quite a bit of filming from there and usually capture some interesting moments and overtaking moves!

Carsreunited, I didn't think a tenner was too bad for a days entertainment. 8 races and mostly pretty competitive, but yes, I agree that the event was mainly for the benefit of the drivers, their teams and families. Still, I reckon potential spectators missed a good day out.
Old 6 Jun 2005, 19:57 (Ref:1321704)   #15
carsreunited
Racer

England
Kettering
carsreunited should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Probably doesn't really answer the original poster but aren't the drivers paying so much for a race entry fee that spectators are just a bonus?

I reckon if spectator entries were half the price they are now you would probably get three times the amount of people going.

Scott
Dolomite Sprint #86, 2006 CTCRC Post Historic CHAMPIONSHIP
Old 7 Jun 2005, 09:11 (Ref:1322155)   #16
stroller
Racer

stroller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Part of the problem I think stems from the fact that circuits now charge so much for track hire that they don't really need spectators hence don't feel a need to promote the smaller Club events, and in some instances, Clubs are not allowed to promote them theirselves!!!

Indeed I feel the spectators become a necessary evil, in that the more spectators - the more Circuit staff/security needed to look after them. This I think is the reason why more grandstands are not open - for insurance and Health & Safety purposes they need to be staffed. I'm sure 3 or 4 extra paying spectators in 1 stand is not economicaly viable!
Old 7 Jun 2005, 11:59 (Ref:1322276)   #17
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
MikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I really don't like Silverstone for club events to be honest, the place just has a massive deserted air about it... just doesn't seem right. I wouldn't generally drive all that way unless I was working, or it was a big event.

The place just seems a bit flat and characterless on club days...
Old 7 Jun 2005, 16:13 (Ref:1322461)   #18
goforit500
Veteran

goforit500 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Personally, it's been a little while since I've been to SS and the place was looking decidedly grubby and had an unloved air about it - No wonder Bernie hates the place...
Old 7 Jun 2005, 19:00 (Ref:1322614)   #19
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by goforit500
Personally, it's been a little while since I've been to SS and the place was looking decidedly grubby and had an unloved air about it - No wonder Bernie hates the place...
You don't say how long since you have been there but there has been a lot of work done in recent years both to the access roads and in circuit facilities. Deserted it certainly was on Sunday and that, in a way gave it an an unloved air but certainly not grubby. As for Bernie, I'm convinced that most of his comments about Silverstone were and are political posturing with an agenda.
Old 7 Jun 2005, 20:40 (Ref:1322701)   #20
stroller
Racer

stroller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Have to agree with John. Silverstone has probably the best facilities now in the country (as it should !!)

When you go abroad ( to Europe) to compare some of the circuits out there Silverstone does not come out too badly.
Old 7 Jun 2005, 21:46 (Ref:1322741)   #21
John Watson
Racer

England
Burgh on Bain - Lincolnshire
John Watson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In response to Ian Sowman, (The only two things that make it palatable to me are FF1600 (thank you James) and 750MC events), may I suggest he comes and visits our two day MG Car Club International 'Clubbie' meeting running on the International Circuit being held on 23rd./24th.July, and make it three things! More information on the MG Car Club website: www.mgcc.co.uk
Old 7 Jun 2005, 21:51 (Ref:1322745)   #22
John Watson
Racer

England
Burgh on Bain - Lincolnshire
John Watson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I forgot to mention the fact that there will also be quite a few thousand other people there as well!!
Old 7 Jun 2005, 22:01 (Ref:1322759)   #23
Ian Sowman
Veteran

I might well pop along on the Saturday John - sadly I conspire to miss the MGCC again this year according to my original plan. Ironically, the one meeting I would otherwise be at (Mallory) clashes with... 750MC commentary at Silverstone!
Old 8 Jun 2005, 21:25 (Ref:1323507)   #24
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I won't say I love the place. I do like it. National can be a bit tedious, but then again, after doing hundreds of laps around there in the passenger seat shouting "BRAKE" etc.....

I suppose familiarity breeds contempt so they say.

I do enjoy the International circuit, and absolutely love stretching a car's legs on the GP circuit.

One thing that I think would be nice, is using the south circuit for racing. Doing Abbey throught to Becketts the wrong way around is quite fun, plus you get the nice bits of Stowe, Vale, and Club.

As for the Stowe circuit. I can't wait to run my beastie on it!

Back to the thread. Yes, the lack of punters in the stands is down to a total lack of marketing, on both the circuit, and the club's front. If you tell them, they will come.
And £12 for a clubbie meeting with nobody in the stands. Good advert for £5 a car, or £1 to get in, isn't it.

Rob.
Old 9 Jun 2005, 20:33 (Ref:1324322)   #25
flagwaver
Veteran

England
Yorkshire
flagwaver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For some reason clubs are not allowed to promote meetings, it is all down to the circuits totally daft I know but that's how it is.