Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 14 Feb 2023, 19:23 (Ref:4143718)   #76
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Clerk View Post
I'm on the MSUK Dragster Sub Committee, always ready to talk
Its always Christmas tree time for you, then! Happy easter!
Old 15 Feb 2023, 04:55 (Ref:4143743)   #77
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Easy way out Dave
Old 16 Feb 2023, 17:11 (Ref:4143919)   #78
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Clerk View Post
I'm on the MSUK Dragster Sub Committee, always ready to talk
Track limits tend to be self-enforcing for dragsters.
Old 16 Feb 2023, 19:01 (Ref:4143933)   #79
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Indeedy.

The side barriers @ the 'Pod' are concrete, approx 3 feet high and about a foot wide. No doubt who wins everytime!

Pages 14 & 15 of the 'White Book' make interesting reading for circuit racers:

11.4 Penalties
One of the rarities at an event is the situation in which two cars are disqualified during the same elimination race. In most cases,
both offending contestants are disqualified. Those situations include: both drivers crossing the boundary lines, or both drivers leaving
the line before the start system is activated. Should a driver receive a red-light foul start, and the opposing driver cross the lane
boundary line, the latter infraction would prevail and the driver committing the foul start would be reinstated. In determining lane
boundary crossing violations, it is considered a disqualification when any portion of a tyre completely crosses the painted line
surface. In cases where both opponents cross the centre line or outside line, both drivers will be disqualified. In situations where multiple boundary lines are utilised, the line directly adjacent to the competitors racing lane will be used for reference. Anytime it has been judged that excessive braking has resulted in the loss of control as to cause contact with the guard-rail, light fixtures, or crossing the centre boundary lines - PAST THE FINISH LINE - the contestant will be disqualified. Intentional crossing of boundary lines to leave the track or to avoid depositing debris on track is not grounds for disqualification.
Additional grounds for disqualification, fines, suspensions, and/or expulsions are:
1) contact with guard-rail, barriers, or any other track fixture (rubber cones when used are considered visual aids, not fixtures);
2) unsportsmanlike conduct, improper language, or conduct detrimental to racing;
3) any condition considered unsafe, unfair, or out of order.

If a driver is disqualified during competition for any reason prior to the actual start of a race, he cannot be reinstated.
Any driver and/or pit crew member found to be under the influence of alcoholic beverages or drugs, regardless of the amount, will be
excluded from the event. Such a condition may be cause for suspension, fine and/or revocation of competition privileges.
Refer to Motorsport UK Competitors Year Book (Blue Book) regarding penalties, protests and appeals.

11.4.1 Blue Line
Should a crew member of a vehicle touch the vehicle after its front wheels have crossed the blue line in the starting line area, this will
result in the automatic disqualification of that vehicle.
Old 17 Feb 2023, 03:53 (Ref:4143981)   #80
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting reading Dave.Something has to be done about this ever widening problem though.As I said before,too many drivers have been influenced by the poor driving examples displayed by so called top drivers.Dont do like they do,do better.
Old 17 Feb 2023, 10:04 (Ref:4143994)   #81
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In my opinion it needs to start @ the top, i.e. MSUK.
Old 17 Feb 2023, 19:17 (Ref:4144053)   #82
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Interesting reading, this caught my eye:

"Any driver and/or pit crew member found to be under the influence of alcoholic beverages or drugs, regardless of the amount, will be
excluded from the event. Such a condition may be cause for suspension, fine and/or revocation of competition privileges."
How do they invest the money made with the fines? They buy a beer?
Old 17 Feb 2023, 20:38 (Ref:4144059)   #83
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
Cheers
Old 19 Feb 2023, 20:20 (Ref:4144194)   #84
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
You'll love this. Start of the year at the British Kart Championship - which for avoidance of doubt is administered, organised and officiated by MSUK - the drivers were told "this is a non contact sport." By the end of the year the briefing had changed to "please keep contact to a minimum."

No wonder drivers are leaving MSUK kart racing in droves.

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk
Old 20 Feb 2023, 07:14 (Ref:4144253)   #85
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Interesting reading, this caught my eye:

"Any driver and/or pit crew member found to be under the influence of alcoholic beverages or drugs, regardless of the amount, will be
excluded from the event. Such a condition may be cause for suspension, fine and/or revocation of competition privileges."
How do they invest the money made with the fines? They buy a beer?
Bad news then for any Christian driver who takes communion en route to Brands ..
Old 27 Feb 2023, 19:17 (Ref:4145151)   #86
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Old 13 May 2023, 13:06 (Ref:4155841)   #87
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Just bringing this back because if the stories are true the scheme will be implemented fron June this year. So far the BTCC and British GTs (I believe) have implmented the changes and a lot of controversy has arisen. The problem appears to be in two parts; 1, they are relying on observers rather than technology, hence the front runners are scrutinised but the mid pack and back markers appear to be escaping any penalty; and 2, the system doesn't cope with amateurs who don't have an extensive pit crew and are therefore required to watch the start/finish flag post which will tell them if they've transgressed, this is likely to be too late for the driver to change driving style.

I know there are some who believe you should never, ever cross the white lines on pain of being drummed out of the brownies, but face facts, it happens. Thus the application of this new system appears to be ill thought out.
Old 24 May 2023, 16:55 (Ref:4157773)   #88
Peter J Horsman
Rookie

Peter J Horsman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Where do the administrators and reality meet?
Old 24 May 2023, 18:12 (Ref:4157789)   #89
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter J Horsman View Post
Where do the administrators and reality meet?
Beyond the limits.
Old 25 May 2023, 13:45 (Ref:4157920)   #90
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Just received a letter from MSUK explaining the rationale and providing pictures for guidance.
Quote:
(b) A driver will be judged to have left the track if any part of the contact patch of the tyre wheel of the car goes completely beyond either the
outer edge of any kerb or the white line where there is no kerb.
Old 25 May 2023, 14:07 (Ref:4157928)   #91
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Just received a letter from MSUK explaining the rationale and providing pictures for guidance.

Here's the link, Peter: https://www.motorsportuk.org/amendme...-track-limits/

As Snetterton showed last weekend, it's too inconsistent though, because they only had Judges of Fact at just 3 of the corners who reported drivers who were then penalised, yet other drivers blatantly drove well beyond the white line and in a couple of instances nearly 4 wheels beyond it and went without sanction.

If the track is to be imagined as a road circuit with barriers adjacent to the white line, then a driver should not be permitted to have 3/4 of the car on the grass in a lunge attempt to overtake. Yet that happened during at least one the BTCC race on the approach to the bridge.
Old 25 May 2023, 18:35 (Ref:4157981)   #92
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
I think the MSUK letter is quite good.

As it acknowledges, enforcement is never going to be perfect, but as and when the revised system is seen to be implemented, hopefully excesses should be reined in.

Hope does of course spring eternal