Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: Will Williams beat Mclaren?
Yes - by miles 3 13.04%
No - by yards 9 39.13%
Yes - by yards 7 30.43%
No - by miles 4 17.39%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old 14 Jun 2001, 21:08 (Ref:105269)   #1
economy_waffle
Racer

economy_waffle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
will williams beat mclaren?

will they beat them?

u decide
Old 15 Jun 2001, 01:11 (Ref:105355)   #2
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I would think that it will be extremely close. Mclaren has a slight chassis advantage, BMW a slight horsepower advantage. If both were to have a straight fight...its gonna be close.

BUt i hope Williams do beat Mclaren. So far, i have always preferred BMW to Mercedes...

And, dint Ron say if he's going to be beaten by anyone, he wants it to be Williams?
Old 15 Jun 2001, 01:21 (Ref:105359)   #3
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Yes of course they will...
Old 15 Jun 2001, 02:04 (Ref:105366)   #4
stubert
Rookie

stubert should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would like to see Williams beat McLaren but I don't think they will.
Ralph is a good driver but JPM is no match for Mika or Coultard at the present. The Williams is fast enough but will have to finish more races then they have been to have a chance.
Old 15 Jun 2001, 03:17 (Ref:105375)   #5
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
I beg to differ Stubert..Ralf Schumacher has really come into his own..One positive effect that Montoya has had is on our young Ralf..Forcing him to really turn up the wick.. I see no problem with him getting past David and Mika..He of course will want to make clean passes, unlike our other friend at Williams..If he has the speed with the Willams I don't see the problem..
Old 15 Jun 2001, 10:20 (Ref:105437)   #6
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It'll be close, but I don't think Williams will beat McLaren this year. There are some circuits left that will favour the Williams, mainly Hockenheim and Spa, but you have to think Mika will improve his performance, and that he and DC in the end will have collected more points than Ralf and JPM. It will be close though, and if Monty can up his performance, I wouldn't put it past Williams to reach 2nd place in the constructors'.
Old 15 Jun 2001, 11:03 (Ref:105443)   #7
RALFANATOR
Racer

RALFANATOR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would normaly say Yes by miles due to willams big speed advatage but still rear brake problems have pushed willams out of race more than once this year so for that reason I'll say Yes by yards but next year MAC won't be so lucky
Old 15 Jun 2001, 13:00 (Ref:105480)   #8
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
For engines - to paraphrase Tom Wolfe, this is a competition to find who has the best Germans.

For chasis - this is the quest for the best of British.

Then to the drivers.....

So, suddenly Jaun and Ralfie are better than Mika and David!

And what ever you guys are smoking I'll take a pound of straight up.
Old 15 Jun 2001, 14:11 (Ref:105498)   #9
RALFANATOR
Racer

RALFANATOR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by AMoffat
For engines - to paraphrase Tom Wolfe, this is a competition to find who has the best Germans.

For chasis - this is the quest for the best of British.

Then to the drivers.....

Ralfie is better than Mika and David!

And when ever you guys are betting I'll bet a $100 of straight up.

Moff you love Ralf admit it
Old 15 Jun 2001, 14:25 (Ref:105500)   #10
Blackjack21
Rookie

Blackjack21 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Make clean passes!!! Hell, Ralf can't even make a pass!!!
Old 15 Jun 2001, 14:30 (Ref:105501)   #11
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
True

RALF SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 15 Jun 2001, 14:31 (Ref:105502)   #12
bghaw
Rookie

bghaw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

This is actually a tough question. As AMoffat said, it's a battle among chassis, drivers and engines. Mclaren has the advantage of the first two, but clearly, Williams is coming back strong with the help of BMW. Both Williams and Mclaren have had a strong winning record and so there is no doubt that the battle between the two will be a close one - not a blowout. Mclaren has everything to continue to be a dominant force in F1 - it's Merc that's falling behind. Considering Merc owns 40% of Mclaren and their enormous budget, you would think they would put more effort in making their engines the most powerful and reliable out there on the grid. Williams BMW, on the other hand, has a much stronger car that is handicapped mostly by reliability. As for their drivers' inexperience, by next year, i'm sure they'll have that problem resolved.

Sorry to say, this year belongs to the Killer Tomato team again, and unfortunately, to that prat, TGF.

Whoever wins, Williams or Mclaren, it doesn't matter as i am a fan of both... woo hoo.

Let's hope Newey's stay at Mclaren can bring the Woka Woka Woking team back to championship form next year.

GO HAKKINEN, RALF, AND DC!
Old 15 Jun 2001, 15:52 (Ref:105534)   #13
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
I think Williams can beat McLaren, but only if Montoya pulls his socks up. So far this season he has been no match for Ralf and I can't see that changing much. And Patrick Head said that their drivers are immature - he has since rephrased that to say that Montoya is immature.

However, according to Sir Frank Williams, the team are not ready to win the championship; he's said that Williams cannot keep up with Ralf.

And Ralf can't pass, Blackjack? Then explain Ralf overtaking David Coulthard in a McLaren-Mercedes in the 1999 European Grand Prix whilst driving a Williams-SUPERTEC - a far inferior car. Not to mention overtaking TGF in the same year...
Old 15 Jun 2001, 16:55 (Ref:105554)   #14
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by AMoffat
RALF RULES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Gee, Moffat, you've certainly changed your tune lately, haven't you?