Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 31 Jul 2001, 12:23 (Ref:124295)   #1
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
AGP Celebrity race

Apparently the car being used in 2002 will be the all new Mini Cooper S. There are proposed to be 36 cars built and prepared in the UK, and brought out for the race... will be interesting.
Old 31 Jul 2001, 14:38 (Ref:124367)   #2
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
cool ..sounds like a barrel of fun ..mini's at the Grand prix..Old brit boy sparky would be impressed..now if they can just get some really good drivers it should be a hoot.
Old 31 Jul 2001, 21:02 (Ref:124471)   #3
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This is good news - something intersting. I for one would love one.
Old 31 Jul 2001, 21:38 (Ref:124482)   #4
Ray Bell
Veteran

Ray Bell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thought you would prefer Cortinas... at least they're more expendable!

I hate these timewasting celebrity races...
Old 1 Aug 2001, 00:05 (Ref:124528)   #5
philneast
Racer

Australia
Hobart , Tasmania, Australia
philneast should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Ray Bell
Thought you would prefer Cortinas... at least they're more expendable!

I hate these timewasting celebrity races...
So do I.

(But I suppose there is a large element of jealously in that.)
Old 1 Aug 2001, 01:28 (Ref:124545)   #6
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
whatever, the celebrity race is great, adds a lighter side to the grand prix weekend, and the racing isn't to bad either, if you like watching bad driving. Channel 9 even manage to show cars past 3rd place in this race.
Old 1 Aug 2001, 02:04 (Ref:124554)   #7
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
and their commentators even manage to coax people into causing accidents !!!!!!
Old 1 Aug 2001, 05:20 (Ref:124586)   #8
Ray Bell
Veteran

It's not motor racing and therefore should be discussed here... except in the Gravel Trap!
Old 1 Aug 2001, 12:00 (Ref:124706)   #9
elephino
Veteran

elephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridelephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The celebrity races have their moments.
Old 1 Aug 2001, 14:39 (Ref:124767)   #10
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
****** !!!!
Old 1 Aug 2001, 21:18 (Ref:124931)   #11
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ray,

I have had one Cortina. Unfortunately a TC not a GT!

Have had two Minis. One a Clubman GT. Great cars.
Old 2 Aug 2001, 00:15 (Ref:125002)   #12
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Now for my $0.02

It was brought up in a conversation the other night, that there is a difference between the AGP at Adelaide and Melbourne. In Adelaide, you used to get all sorts of things, like FF, F2, FHolden, STs, V8s etc etc. These days in Melbourne, it is more entertainment based. Things like Nascars, the Porsche Sueprcup, or Lamborghini Challenge, or the old styled sports car race.

The celebrity races scare me no end- a heap of inexperienced drivers out there going nuts...imagine the negative press if one of these 'stars' got hurt...

The on the other hand, the punters at the track probably love them, and it is a bit of a feature of the channel 9 coverage...
Old 2 Aug 2001, 02:14 (Ref:125038)   #13
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Quote:
Originally posted by Crash Test
The celebrity races scare me no end- a heap of inexperienced drivers out there going nuts...imagine the negative press if one of these 'stars' got hurt
Not sure what year it was but at the Adelaide GP during a celebrity race lead singer of Dire Straits Mark Knoffler crashed heavily at the first chicane on lap One and broke his colorbone..nasty crash indeed

cant think of anyone else who has been injured in one of these races ..so the safety record is very good indeed.
Old 2 Aug 2001, 02:50 (Ref:125048)   #14
Ray Bell
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Crash Test
Then on the other hand, the punters at the track probably love them, and it is a bit of a feature of the channel 9 coverage...
Of course it is... they get over half an hour each day to promote their stars and show! So many of the 'celebrities' are their celebrities, the girl who digs the dirt on the gardening show, the guy who introduces the dolls on the kid's show, the weather man from Perth... all the important people...
Old 2 Aug 2001, 04:42 (Ref:125060)   #15
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Ray- You forgot Barry Humphries...who drives like a girl...

Marcus- Remember at Melbourne, probably 2 years ago now, some girlie had a big roll over...nasty...
Old 2 Aug 2001, 04:46 (Ref:125062)   #16
Ray Bell
Veteran

Would it be rude if I said "Serves them right!"?

It's how I feel, anyway, as scads of people wanting to watch motor racing are forced to watch a sideshow, and as a legitimate category misses out on a race on a once-a-year circuit...
Old 2 Aug 2001, 09:48 (Ref:125142)   #17
DMC
Racer

Australia
DMC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

It's how I feel, anyway, as scads of people wanting to watch motor racing are forced to watch a sideshow, and as a legitimate category misses out on a race on a once-a-year circuit...
I couldn't agree with you more. Not only does a legitimate category miss out on the television exposure but also the sponsorship opportunities that go with it. The reason that the Australian Grand Prix is such a corporate parade is that it is one of a few Grand Prix around the world that is actually run by a company, not a motoring organization or the circuit itself.
Old 2 Aug 2001, 13:30 (Ref:125198)   #18
Airhead
Veteran

Quote:

It's pretty well true. There is someone missing out while 9 promotes 9.
Old 2 Aug 2001, 14:49 (Ref:125237)   #19
Morris 1100
Veteran

Morris 1100 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How the hell can people be given a CAMS licence and race at an International meeting when some of them can't even drive let alone pass the medical (Dawn Fraser)CAMS says licence conditions are strict but sometimes they bend the rules to suit the whims of the promoters.

Old 2 Aug 2001, 15:22 (Ref:125249)   #20
DMC
Racer

Australia
DMC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Morris 1100
How the hell can people be given a CAMS licence and race at an International meeting when some of them can't even drive let alone pass the medical (Dawn Fraser)CAMS says licence conditions are strict but sometimes they bend the rules to suit the whims of the promoters.

I find it highly unlikely that any of the competitors in those "celebrity" races have a CAMS licence let alone a road one. If they were real celebrities wouldn't they have cheffeurs for ferrying them around?
Old 3 Aug 2001, 22:55 (Ref:125698)   #21
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Many years ago, they decided to run a competition through BP service stations where a member of the public could win a drive in the celebrity GP. Unfortunately CAMS general competition licence holders were excluded.

Anyway some bloke from Adelaide who'd done the odd supersprint and motorkhana on a basic licence won the ride. He got pole easily and cleared off and left all the celebrities for dead, winning by a country mile. As a result, he got bugger all coverage and the public have never again had the oppurtunity to take part. Can't show up the network stars now can we?
Old 4 Aug 2001, 09:17 (Ref:125777)   #22
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by racer69
whatever, the celebrity race is great, adds a lighter side to the grand prix weekend, and the racing isn't to bad either, if you like watching bad driving.
I agree, it is great for a laugh. It's clearly not to be taken seriously.

Quote:
Originally posted by philneast
(But I suppose there is a large element of jealously in that.)
The most honest thing written in this thread so far

Quote:
Originally posted by marcus
I thought that was a classic. What an idiot At least she's a babe

Quote:
Would it be rude if I said "turn your TV off if you don't like it?" Ray, it may come as a suprise, but there are many that like these races. If it did'nt rate well, they would'nt show it. (Hmm, that does'nt explain Neighbours )

Quote:
Originally posted by DMC
I find it highly unlikely that any of the competitors in those "celebrity" races have a CAMS licence let alone a road one.
Well actually, they do have CAMS licences - Scary is'nt it

Quote:
Originally posted by DAVID PATERSON
As a result, he got bugger all coverage and the public have never again had the oppurtunity to take part. Can't show up the network stars now can we?
Actually David, they always have a member of the public at the Melbourne GP. It is a competition run though the Herald-Sun newspaper where 3 people win to do the training week and one is selected to race(it was a girl this year). I think this is how they keep anyone out that might win. It is interesting to note that at no time was that winner shown on TV. That sucks
Old 4 Aug 2001, 23:13 (Ref:125955)   #23
Alan Jones
Veteran

Alan Jones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by marcus
Excellent wasn't it. one of AJ's golden moments

As for the mini's , yes please. Anyone remember when they raced at Bathurst? Great stuff going by the video I watched To be fair they did have real pilots though
Old 6 Aug 2001, 00:32 (Ref:126380)   #24
Ray Bell
Veteran

Minis at Bathurst...?? what a drag!!

Minis were best at a circuit where there were more corners, like Warwick Farm, where they actually challenged Mustangs and the like...

As for celebrity races, I fail to see why enthusiasts, who have to wait a year to see 'their' race, have to put up with endless chatter about TV 'stars' they have (in many cases) no knowledge of as they run around in perfectly good cars showing what fools they are.

As mentioned, it's particularly galling for competitors who might otherwise have got to run on that circuit just once in their lives...

And I really doubt that it attracts viewers from among the TV nerds to watch the GP, and that it really rates that well.
Old 6 Aug 2001, 05:54 (Ref:126440)   #25
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
I know my mother always seems to watch the celebrity races...does that count?