Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 25 Nov 2013, 00:46 (Ref:3336295)   #1
thebear
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
85mi S. of Daytona, 125mi NE of Sebring
thebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Auction Action

Gentlemen, raise your paddles!

Bonham's, "The December Sale"
London, New Bond Street
1 Dec 2013 14:00 GMT

The Ex-Jackie Stewart, Jack Brabham, Roy Salvadori, Tommy Dickson, Bruce Halford, Jimmy Blumer

1960 Cooper Monaco-Climax 'Mark II' Type 57 Rear-Engined Sports-Racing Prototype

Details & pix HERE

Old 25 Nov 2013, 03:30 (Ref:3336330)   #2
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Lots more to this sale than just another Monaco !

The EE collection and probably one of the best 904 Porsches.

The C type is very ,very good.

I would like the transporter.
Old 25 Nov 2013, 08:45 (Ref:3336388)   #3
apriliadriver
Racer

United Kingdom
Ruislip, Middx
apriliadriver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not just EE, but a very nice Alfa Giulietta Sprint Zagato racer in chick-puller yellow - ooops ! it's my old car, and a lovely thing to do the Pre-63 GT series in. The current owner has only run the car for a couple of years.
Nick
Old 25 Nov 2013, 08:57 (Ref:3336393)   #4
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Nick, although a 1961 car, I think the Sprint Zagato 1300cc was produced before 1960, so also FISCAR eligible?

Some of those cars look as though maybe from Lord Irvine Laidlaw. JR will probably be able to confirm.
Old 25 Nov 2013, 09:47 (Ref:3336406)   #5
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
The Alfa is gorgeous in yellow. My pick of the auction.

Not sure about the 904, one of the previous owners sounds a bit dodgy!
Old 25 Nov 2013, 09:54 (Ref:3336410)   #6
Brian A
Racer

England
Sunny West Sussex
Brian A should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Not sure about the 904, one of the previous owners sounds a bit dodgy!

Can't imagine which one that might be.

Agree about the Alfa - would be lovely to have that out next year in the Fiscar races
Old 25 Nov 2013, 09:56 (Ref:3336411)   #7
apriliadriver
Racer

United Kingdom
Ruislip, Middx
apriliadriver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
John,
The AMOC predecessor to FiSCar used to allow the Brit SZs to race, though sadly the earliest known manufacture is January 1960, despite a ongoing canard endlessly repeated in books/magazines that it was available in December 1959.

Definitely in the spirit of FiSCar, drum brakes all round etc and good to beat all but one or two DB2/4s and the occasional Ace.
Nick
Old 25 Nov 2013, 11:26 (Ref:3336450)   #8
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
None of Irvine Laidlaw cars.

He sold his race cars via RM in September and they all went.He has retired from racing but still does rally's and stuff .His present stable is superb.

I thought that 904 previous owners were the cream of the over 40 inch waistband historic racing crop!I sold it as couldn't easily get in it!

I don't get the 904 thing as they are awkward to maintain ,not very quick compared to B 8 and Elva160 GT both of which are less than half the value.

Suppose it's that Porsche badge and very pretty.

The auction will be interesting as if it is successful could see another surge in selling prices.

Only the good cars with proper histories seem to be selling at top end and there are some of those in the sale.

The EE stuff has some decent cars included.
Old 25 Nov 2013, 13:26 (Ref:3336494)   #9
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post
Nick, although a 1961 car, I think the Sprint Zagato 1300cc was produced before 1960, so also FISCAR eligible?

Some of those cars look as though maybe from Lord Irvine Laidlaw. JR will probably be able to confirm.

Certainly the Cooper is from Dick Skipworth,its the Car Whizzo used in the F1 Support race a few years back.
Old 25 Nov 2013, 14:40 (Ref:3336520)   #10
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower View Post
Certainly the Cooper is from Dick Skipworth,its the Car Whizzo used in the F1 Support race a few years back.
The Tojeiro as driven for many years by Whizzo in historic events, particularly the Revival;

This from 2012. It was also racing in the Sussex Trophy this year, however, I can not be bothered to dig out the programme to name the driver.
Old 25 Nov 2013, 14:52 (Ref:3336526)   #11
Rudernst
Veteran

Germany
Hamburg
Rudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post

He sold his race cars via RM in September and they all went.He has retired from racing but still does rally's and stuff .His present stable is superb.

I thought that 904 previous owners were the cream of the over 40 inch waistband historic racing crop!I sold it as couldn't easily get in it!

I don't get the 904 thing as they are awkward to maintain ,not very quick compared to B 8 and Elva160 GT both of which are less than half the value.

The auction will be interesting as if it is successful could see another surge in selling prices.

Only the good cars with proper histories seem to be selling at top end and there are some of those in the sale.

John, that will my quote of the week:
"over 40 inch waistband historic racing crop"

can stop giggling
As I am currently 36 in, this will give me added strengh and discipline to maintain it

as to Porky 904s
yes, I dont the pricing either
they are a very expensive way to be lapped by a Chevron, especially the 4 cyl ones...
But what I have learnt: Many punters go for the stuff that they know, obscure cars take a lot of time to generate recognition
just look at the silly prices that are beeing paid for they Merc 300 SL
reason seems to be many rich men have heard about them even if they dont much about historic cars and they want them regardless whether they will enjoy them or not

Rudolf
Old 26 Nov 2013, 00:51 (Ref:3336791)   #12
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

The main stuff in the sale is the Skipworth EE collection.

Mixture of good,decent and not so good cars with that transporter.

Everything from Sprite to D Type.Worrying that Williams has driven the cars!
Old 26 Nov 2013, 08:30 (Ref:3336860)   #13
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by apriliadriver View Post
John,
The AMOC predecessor to FiSCar used to allow the Brit SZs to race, though sadly the earliest known manufacture is January 1960, despite a ongoing canard endlessly repeated in books/magazines that it was available in December 1959.

Definitely in the spirit of FiSCar, drum brakes all round etc and good to beat all but one or two DB2/4s and the occasional Ace.
Nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian A View Post

Agree about the Alfa - would be lovely to have that out next year in the Fiscar races
Nick, in fact James Wiseman has always been able to run with us in his red version. 1300cc with drum brakes is, as you say, very 1950's and a bit out of synch in a 1960s race. As Brian says, it would be lovely to have it run with us and I can safely say we wouldn't turn it away!

Quote:

Thanks for clarification, John. I knew that the Laidlaw cars were going; just hadn't realised they had already been auctioned off (pay attention, Turner!).

You don't see many 904s racing no doubt for all the reasons you have stated but I always think of the 904 as a tad earlier than the B8. In any event, as an old fashioned style spectator, it's watching you guys take part, not who/what is the quickest, which in historic racing, is an irrelevance, in some ways. I love the B8 but if I had the wherewithal, I would prefer to take the pretty Porsche with the great sound, on track, even if I was lapped by the B8s. The Elva 160 is a great little car but with only 3 built, and only one (as far as I know) racing (with Gareth and Michael), it's not an option that most can take up as an alternative option to the other two.

The Transporter is great, too!
Old 26 Nov 2013, 09:34 (Ref:3336871)   #14
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
The Tojeiro as driven for many years by Whizzo in historic events, particularly the Revival;

This from 2012. It was also racing in the Sussex Trophy this year, however, I can not be bothered to dig out the programme to name the driver.

No need,the skid lid gives the name away.
Old 26 Nov 2013, 09:44 (Ref:3336875)   #15
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
No need,the skid lid gives the name away.
That was 2012 though wasn't it? Think it was driven by Graeme Dodd in 2013.
Old 26 Nov 2013, 11:15 (Ref:3336901)   #16
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I must be getting old as I think the Bentley 4 1/2 sport saloon looks the nuts... also is it just me or are DB4GT's an awful lot of money.... I appreciate the one here had Noel C-R as first owner so it has a lovely history but same price as the 904?
Conversely that SS100 looks cheap in the world of fantasy garages!!
Old 26 Nov 2013, 12:36 (Ref:3336927)   #17
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary396 View Post
That was 2012 though wasn't it? Think it was driven by Graeme Dodd in 2013.

Perhaps the sentence at the bottom of the picture gives it away?
Lot 4 would do Copse flat in forth,one hope hope so,it was only doing 85! LOL.

Last edited by terence; 26 Nov 2013 at 12:42.
Old 26 Nov 2013, 13:24 (Ref:3336942)   #18
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
So-o-o-o-o-o......Lot 4. Despite all that blurb, it could well be that not a single solitary part of it is original except *possibly* a rivet-on chassis plate and a screw-on body ident?

Interestingly the sales information is proud that a fraud has been committed: "So now we have a car that absolutely looks the part, has the right numbers, but is a re-creation of that 1961 Le Mans Sprite entered and raced by Ecurie Ecosse"

Given that the monocoque was scrapped, so according to the DVLA the number should have been surrendered. I trust that the rozzers are as we speak winging their way to Mr Dick Skipworth given he has produced a "ringer".
Old 26 Nov 2013, 13:44 (Ref:3336952)   #19
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
brilliant stuff . . . Who needs Monty Python tickets!

'highly desirable Swiftune 1275cc or thereabouts Austin-Healey Sprite engine'
Old 26 Nov 2013, 13:49 (Ref:3336954)   #20
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
shades of Colerdiges's Kubla Khan - For he on honey-dew hath fed,
And drunk the milk of Paradise
Old 26 Nov 2013, 16:50 (Ref:3337044)   #21
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Perhaps the sentence at the bottom of the picture gives it away?
I was trying to avoid being that blunt!
Old 26 Nov 2013, 19:31 (Ref:3337088)   #22
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble View Post
shades of Colerdiges's Kubla Khan - For he on honey-dew hath fed,
And drunk the milk of Paradise
I think we should give Iain a year off to recuperate from his ceaseless European travel and rename the lighter side next year as 'SD waxes lyrical'.
Old 27 Nov 2013, 04:36 (Ref:3337243)   #23
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Ah the advantage of a classical education. Best I could muster would be a verse of Barnical Bill the Sailor.
Old 27 Nov 2013, 06:34 (Ref:3337249)   #24
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Worrying that W****s has driven the cars!
When I come to sell something it will be "As not raced by W****s". That will be so unusual, reckon it will guarantee a premium!

Old 27 Nov 2013, 08:22 (Ref:3337270)   #25
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Ah the advantage of a classical education. Best I could muster would be a verse of Barnical Bill the Sailor.
That's OK as long as it is not 'Eskimo Nell'