Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 3 Nov 2015, 14:11 (Ref:3587825)   #101
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think that F1 should be cutting edge with budget limits rather than the other way round.
Old 3 Nov 2015, 15:23 (Ref:3587844)   #102
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
Hrm... But what we've got is "cutting edge", and, well, there's a lot of noise being made about that.
IMHO, we have generally gotten past concerns with the technical spec, but it seems to be about cost and a rule set that allows extended dominance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
I think that F1 should be cutting edge with budget limits rather than the other way round.

Richard
Old 4 Nov 2015, 18:39 (Ref:3588191)   #103
dan_ferguson
Rookie

dan_ferguson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mandating how F1 engines utilise fuel allowance will potentially miss R&D possibilities, and runs the risk of the rules being based on obsolete technology. I am a big fan of model used for LMP1 cars, although cost control would still be required.
Old 9 Nov 2015, 17:51 (Ref:3589287)   #104
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Ferrari do not seem too happy with their former team principal. Marchionne has gone on the attack about cost caps for F1 power units saying it is not his responsibility for the smaller teams to survive.

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/fe...-idea-obscene/

I assume he would be happy to have a GP between Ferrari and Mercedes with a few also rans just like in the 1950's.
Old 10 Nov 2015, 15:27 (Ref:3589495)   #105
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
amusing back and forth between Merc and Lotus on twitter.

https://twitter.com/mercedesamgf1/st...75320484589573
Old 10 Nov 2015, 22:30 (Ref:3589599)   #106
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
wake me up before you go go. #wrongsong @redbullf1
Old 11 Nov 2015, 17:02 (Ref:3589752)   #107
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
wake me up before you go go. #wrongsong @redbullf1
haha. although if it was me i would have gone with this song or is that too obvious?
Old 11 Nov 2015, 17:12 (Ref:3589754)   #108
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
What's Kevin Magnussen got to do with it?
Old 11 Nov 2015, 17:17 (Ref:3589756)   #109
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
they do kinda look alike.
Old 11 Nov 2015, 22:04 (Ref:3589819)   #110
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
haha. although if it was me i would have gone with this song or is that too obvious?
Any excuse to post it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
What's Kevin Magnussen got to do with it?
Old 14 Nov 2015, 08:12 (Ref:3590296)   #111
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Here we go sense at last, out with the miserable hybrids:

http://www.pitpass.com/55165/FIA-beg...-engine-supply

2.2 V6 Turbo supply tenders called for by FIA, no KERS.
Old 14 Nov 2015, 10:26 (Ref:3590308)   #112
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Here we go sense at last, out with the miserable hybrids:

http://www.pitpass.com/55165/FIA-beg...-engine-supply

2.2 V6 Turbo supply tenders called for by FIA, no KERS.
I believe that is speculation by Pitpass; if you read other reports such as this on Motorsport dot com: http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/fi...f1-engine/?s=1 , the FIA has not released their required specifications on the new power-units. They will be supplied to those engine producers who register an interest and who also meet the FIA's standards for technical and financial capabilities.
Old 14 Nov 2015, 12:23 (Ref:3590333)   #113
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
I believe that is speculation by Pitpass; if you read other reports such as this on Motorsport dot com: http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/fi...f1-engine/?s=1 , the FIA has not released their required specifications on the new power-units. They will be supplied to those engine producers who register an interest and who also meet the FIA's standards for technical and financial capabilities.
Mmm, this may also be a sticking point:

Speaking at the Mexican Grand Prix a fortnight ago, FIA president Jean Todt said that the only way he would ease off the efforts for a standard engine would be if current manufacturers agreed to supply customers for $12 million.

Hope the teams don't let the manus get away with supplying last year's engine either!
Old 14 Nov 2015, 12:39 (Ref:3590337)   #114
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
My guess is that is what the threat of a customer engine is all about. You're one for a cynical theory, there are actually precedents for this in F1. Suggest a more extreme solution to get what you want.
Old 14 Nov 2015, 14:00 (Ref:3590357)   #115
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If the FIA push this I think the RB debacle this year will be nothing compared to what what the current PU suppliers do. There is no way on God's earth they are going to sit back and watch this be introduced. They have got F1 by the short and curlies and they know it.
Old 14 Nov 2015, 19:34 (Ref:3590406)   #116
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
I like the file photo of Todt in that pitpass article with that cheshire grin sayin' "I got you now, guys!"

I find the idea of an "independent engine" to be very irksome myself but if he does swing the 12 million cost cap then hats off to him. Or hats off to Mosley who discreetly gave Bernie this strategy for Todt to publically implement.
Old 14 Nov 2015, 21:15 (Ref:3590425)   #117
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
I like the file photo of Todt in that pitpass article with that cheshire grin sayin' "I got you now, guys!"

I find the idea of an "independent engine" to be very irksome myself but if he does swing the 12 million cost cap then hats off to him. Or hats off to Mosley who discreetly gave Bernie this strategy for Todt to publically implement.
I don't think he has "got" anyone just yet, more they have got the FIA because as yet nothing has changed and I doubt it will change without a huge fight or major concessions from those seeking the change. Anyone who thinks the last act has been played in this dog fight should not start victory celebrations just yet.
Old 20 Nov 2015, 17:36 (Ref:3591778)   #118
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
via twitter, Tobias Gruner claims that Ilmor has made a 2017 'cheap' engine tender to the FIA.

https://twitter.com/tgruener/status/667680801333649408
Old 20 Nov 2015, 19:20 (Ref:3591808)   #119
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
via twitter, Tobias Gruner claims that Ilmor has made a 2017 'cheap' engine tender to the FIA.

https://twitter.com/tgruener/status/667680801333649408
You can add AER to that list but no Cosworth.

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/il...engine-tender/

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/co...engine-tender/

I don't know what Ilmor have in mind but I suspect that AER will base their tender on their LMP1 motor.
Old 20 Nov 2015, 23:28 (Ref:3591849)   #120
Casper
Veteran

I may be a bit slow but why can't anyone supply motors to a specification? That is what used to happen so what is different now? A single supplier holds a gun to F1's head if they decide to fold up shop or go broke etc where multiple suppliers gives choices.

Last edited by Casper; 20 Nov 2015 at 23:36.
Old 21 Nov 2015, 00:41 (Ref:3591862)   #121
wnut
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
I may be a bit slow but why can't anyone supply motors to a specification? That is what used to happen so what is different now? A single supplier holds a gun to F1's head if they decide to fold up shop or go broke etc where multiple suppliers gives choices.
This would be my preference too, just spec the thing and anyone can build it. This would clearly be the best solution for the sport.

However then you would open the whole engine supply chain up to the great unwashed, and the club members may lose out on their expected benefits. It would be the end of a nice profitable little racket the current engine suppliers have and even more especially the way Mercedes are holding the sport to ransom.

http://www.f1reader.com/#/news/ilmor...-tender-134113

It's expected that both Cosworth and Mecachrome will also submit their interest before the FIA's November 23rd deadline, but neither have confirmed this.

Hope the FIA have the courage to force this through.

Meanwhile the FIA is likely to face opposition at next week's F1 Commission meeting, where it's expected the alternative engine will be voted down, however the governing body could try and force the proposal through, citing force majeure.

Last edited by wnut; 21 Nov 2015 at 01:04.
Old 21 Nov 2015, 01:54 (Ref:3591879)   #122
wnut
Veteran

http://www.f1reader.com/#/news/ferra...xt-year-134101

Nice to know Ferrari have a comedian in charge.

Clearly been taking pointers from Arai san.
Old 21 Nov 2015, 04:19 (Ref:3591901)   #123
Casper
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
http://www.f1reader.com/#/news/ferra...xt-year-134101

Nice to know Ferrari have a comedian in charge.

Clearly been taking pointers from Arai san.
He should join actors equity and the reporter who took him seriously enough to write the story run out of town for being so gullible. The media will do anything to fill space these days. if he had said that to LJK Setright there would have been huge hilarity all round and he would have appeared very foolish.
Old 21 Nov 2015, 12:50 (Ref:3592022)   #124
wnut
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
He should join actors equity and the reporter who took him seriously enough to write the story run out of town for being so gullible. The media will do anything to fill space these days. if he had said that to LJK Setright there would have been huge hilarity all round and he would have appeared very foolish.
Perhaps?

fama quoque tuum numerare pullos antequam excludunt

talk about counting your chickens before they hatch
Old 23 Nov 2015, 11:22 (Ref:3592648)   #125
wnut
Veteran

http://www.pitpass.com/55233/Ilmor-a...-engine-tender

So Illmor have tendered, and Cosworth have said no apparently.