Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 18 Feb 2023, 07:55 (Ref:4144076)   #51
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
That would be good Iain, as we keep missing each other at Castle Combe!
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!
Old 18 Feb 2023, 18:21 (Ref:4144109)   #52
Mike Crow
Racer

Mike Crow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post
I usually forget to put this up here until it's too late, but herewith FISCAR race dates:-

April 22nd - VSCC Spring Start - Silverstone National

June 17th - Thruxton Historics

July 9th - VSCC, Doningto

August 12th - Bentley Drivers Club, Silverstone National

September 23rd - Castle Combe Autumn Classic
Unless they have some surprises up their sleeves, the selection of grids at Thruxton is looking very sparse for a two day event
Old 18 Feb 2023, 18:58 (Ref:4144114)   #53
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post
That would be good Iain, as we keep missing each other at Castle Combe!
No John, you just avoid me.
Old 18 Feb 2023, 19:02 (Ref:4144117)   #54
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
You or you and your bicycle?
Old 7 Mar 2023, 09:27 (Ref:4146180)   #55
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Good to have a look to Mugello Classic entry lists (31March-2 Ap)! The Stephens gang will kick some bottoms during the Fifities Legends race and the famous pair Dottore Ingram/ Iain Rowley entered the Sixties Endurance. Porsche 356 # 49 and Marcos 1800 GT # 42. 26 entrants in the Fifties, 72 in the Sixties. Time table https://www.dropbox.com/s/imwdbfkn2h...table.pdf?dl=0 FORZA Tenthers!
Old 7 Mar 2023, 13:58 (Ref:4146217)   #56
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
PHILLIP ISLAND CLASSIC FESTIVAL OF MOTORSPORT
MARCH 9-12 2023

Phillip Island this weekend for the annual PI Classic.

Ill be there of course. Looking forward to it. We have some interesting cars including a number of Historic F1 cars coming over from Europe.

I know Iain had thought of coming over this year but he and Dr Bob have European adventures planned in the near future which got in the way.

I did notice in the entry list Andy Newall of this parish is once more attending, with his Chevron B6.
Another Tenther is David Towe with his BMW M3.
I'll be there with camera so hopefully have some photos to post

Meeting overview with many of the notable entries mentioned: https://vhrr.com/wp/phillip-island/

Events / Categories and entry list : https://vhrr.com/Competitor%20List&%...20Schedule.pdf

Weather forecast is not to bad, low to mid 20's with a 10% chance of rain.
Old 7 Mar 2023, 15:03 (Ref:4146223)   #57
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Why not open a dedicated thread?
Old 7 Mar 2023, 15:53 (Ref:4146224)   #58
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
PHILLIP ISLAND CLASSIC FESTIVAL OF MOTORSPORT
MARCH 9-12 2023

Phillip Island this weekend for the annual PI Classic.
Shame there doesn't appear to be a live stream enjoy your weekend whilst we freeze in the UK
Old 7 Mar 2023, 18:00 (Ref:4146232)   #59
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Crow View Post
Unless they have some surprises up their sleeves, the selection of grids at Thruxton is looking very sparse for a two day event
Having been hugely disappointed with the MRL grids last year, (60 minute races with 10, 15, 5 and 8 cars) I can see why they have been dropped. I do hope Thruxton can fill the grids for this meeting but I won't be booking tickets until much nearer the event.
Old 7 Mar 2023, 20:03 (Ref:4146238)   #60
Mike Crow
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brands View Post
Having been hugely disappointed with the MRL grids last year, (60 minute races with 10, 15, 5 and 8 cars) I can see why they have been dropped. I do hope Thruxton can fill the grids for this meeting but I won't be booking tickets until much nearer the event.
I wouldn’t be surprised if it turned into a one day affair. There must be some problem or they would have announced the content by now
Old 8 Mar 2023, 04:31 (Ref:4146264)   #61
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Why not open a dedicated thread?
Thanks Peter. Done.

https://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=157783
Old 8 Mar 2023, 09:12 (Ref:4146281)   #62
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I wouldn’t be surprised if it turned into a one day affair. There must be some problem or they would have announced the content by now
I can't see the event being condensed into a single day. I think there will be double headers for the Jochen Rindt Trophy, Historic FF2000, Mighty Minis, and the CMMC Classic Challenge/Jaguar Trophy (which I assume will share a grid); a triple-header for the Classic Ferraris; and a single race for FISCAR. Therefore, barring some odd merging of grids (e.g. the Ferraris and Minis on track together), there is too much stuff for a single day meeting.

Therefore, I imagine there will be a fair amount of 'padding' in the form of demonstrations and/or parades in order to fill the time. There is some precedent for this. Having just checked, the first Thruxton Historic meeting (in 2018) had 2.5 hours of racing on the Sunday.
Old 8 Mar 2023, 10:38 (Ref:4146286)   #63
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper View Post
Having just checked, the first Thruxton Historic meeting (in 2018) had 2.5 hours of racing on the Sunday.
And bl..dy freezing if I recall! It's such a shame that none of the Thruxton historic meetings have measured up to expectations particularly with the viewing area out of the complex and through Noble having been extended which makes great viewing.
Old 8 Mar 2023, 22:58 (Ref:4146387)   #64
Mike Crow
Racer

[QUOTE=kipper;4146281]I can't see the event being condensed into a single day. I think there will be double headers for the Jochen Rindt Trophy, Historic FF2000, Mighty Minis, and the CMMC Classic Challenge/Jaguar Trophy (which I assume will share a grid); a triple-header for the Classic Ferraris; and a single race for FISCAR. Therefore, barring some odd merging of grids (e.g. the Ferraris and Minis on track together), there is too much stuff for a single day meeting.

Therefore, I imagine there will be a fair amount of 'padding' in the form of demonstrations and/or parades in order to fill the time. There is some precedent for this. Having just checked, the first Thruxton Historic meeting (in 2018) had 2.5 hours of racing on the Sunday.

You are probably right. Thruxton loses a lot of time with the Church break on a Sunday as well. I guess I will go anyway because it’s very local for me and I love the circuit. It all sounds a bit thin though but on a sunny day who knows?
Old 3 Apr 2023, 07:02 (Ref:4150208)   #65
Mike Crow
Racer

I nearly wimped out but I made the trek to Brands yesterday for the Equipe GTS meeting and I am very pleased I did. A splendid mix of great cars, warm sunshine after a cold start, a big enough crowd to make a buzz and some of the best racing I might see all year. A three way race long dice between Cobra, Big Healey and Lola Mk 1 was unlikely but memorable and there were many battles in every race. Equipe are becoming a favourite - more like early historic racing than some more fashionable series. A good start to the season.
Old 3 Apr 2023, 07:46 (Ref:4150213)   #66
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Motorsport came to me at the weekend when a Belgian Classic Car rally passed my house around Saturday lunch-time, so I made my sandwich, sat back & enjoyed!

There was quite an array of entrants, from full-blown rally-prepared machinery such as a Healey 3000, two Toyota Celica's of different vintage, Lotus Cortina, Sunbeam Lotus etc, down to near standard cars. Bringing up the rear was one for Gerard - a Healey Abbott Drophead Coupe that looked far too nice to be thrashing around on muddy rally stages.

Yesterday we went to St Valery for a day-out with Alfa Club du Nord, only to meet the Belgian rally boys yet again as we neared St Valery yesterday morning.
Old 3 Apr 2023, 15:10 (Ref:4150283)   #67
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
Quote:
I nearly wimped out but I made the trek to Brands yesterday for the Equipe GTS meeting and I am very pleased I did.
Apart from the bl..dy cold wind it was a really good meeting, I moved from South Bank to Druids and finally Paddock grandstand to avoid the chill! The mixture of cars in the Libre race was great to watch, Elan, Cobra, E type, Shelby 350 and the chasing TVR of Rob Cull made a great start to the day but sad to see Chris Beighton retire with a smoking Sunbeam Tiger. What's not to like with some of the Equipe grids? It's a poor mans' Goodwood meeting at a fraction of the cost , speaking of which I was wondering if he needs to do a quick rebuild for the MM where he normally shares the car with Matt Neil.
Old 3 Apr 2023, 16:43 (Ref:4150305)   #68
Mike Crow
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by justracing View Post
Apart from the bl..dy cold wind it was a really good meeting, I moved from South Bank to Druids and finally Paddock grandstand to avoid the chill! The mixture of cars in the Libre race was great to watch, Elan, Cobra, E type, Shelby 350 and the chasing TVR of Rob Cull made a great start to the day but sad to see Chris Beighton retire with a smoking Sunbeam Tiger. What's not to like with some of the Equipe grids? It's a poor mans' Goodwood meeting at a fraction of the cost , speaking of which I was wondering if he needs to do a quick rebuild for the MM where he normally shares the car with Matt Neil.
The commentator said that it was only the pipe holding the dipstick coming loose!
Old 3 Apr 2023, 16:50 (Ref:4150308)   #69
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
John its not rallying but tonight I'll have a spare thought for you both, cooking and eating some Rattes du Touquet, les fameuses patates locales! Nothing to do with our not beloved Prez if you see what I mean…
Old 3 Apr 2023, 17:11 (Ref:4150313)   #70
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't know that one - I'll have to ask my catering department! Nothing to do with ratatouille I trust - I absolutely detest that!

Had some half decent fish & chips in Le Crotoy yesterday. Not the best but by no means the worst.
Old 3 Apr 2023, 17:20 (Ref:4150316)   #71
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
Quote:
The commentator said that it was only the pipe holding the dipstick coming loose!
Ah, ok. Good news for Chris B!
Old 4 Apr 2023, 05:45 (Ref:4150379)   #72
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
Had some half decent fish & chips in Le Crotoy yesterday. Not the best but by no means the worst.
Treat yourself and go to Belgium!
Old 4 Apr 2023, 06:29 (Ref:4150382)   #73
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Treat yourself and go to Belgium!
Alfa Club du Nord has a trip to Belgium planned for a weekend in June, including a visit to Chimay.
Old 11 Apr 2023, 08:54 (Ref:4151035)   #74
Derwent
Racer

Derwent is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
It's HERO's Flying Scotsman Rally this week. I am running a test on Saturday near Carlisle. Incredible entry of 100 prewar cars, mostly from Europe.
Old 11 Apr 2023, 13:55 (Ref:4151100)   #75
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derwent View Post
It's HERO's Flying Scotsman Rally this week. I am running a test on Saturday near Carlisle. Incredible entry of 100 prewar cars, mostly from Europe.

Normally go out on the Scotsman, but its a bit far north for me this time for a day out - and I'll be down at Duxford for the Spring Alfa Day on Sunday.
The Scotsman entry is good, though