Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 6 Dec 2022, 17:58 (Ref:4136270)   #1
markymar93
Rookie

markymar93 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Building a historic saloon race car

Hi. I am building a 60s historic saloon race car. Just wondered how much i am able to lighten the car. Many thanks Mark
Old 6 Dec 2022, 18:41 (Ref:4136273)   #2
rww
Racer

United Kingdom
St Leonards on Sea, East Sussex
rww should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by markymar93 View Post
Hi. I am building a 60s historic saloon race car. Just wondered how much i am able to lighten the car. Many thanks Mark
Totally dependent on the championship/series/club you intend to race in/with. For example cars prepared to Appendix K are allowed very limited modifications whilst those entered for CSCC Swinging Sixties can be significantly lightened.
Old 6 Dec 2022, 20:42 (Ref:4136287)   #3
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The technical regulations for HRSR/HSCC Historic Touring Cars are on the HSCC website and describe what modifications are allowed to bodywork/chassis etc. and minimum weights for each class and sub class are stated. Presumably CSCC and CTCRC have similar tech regs which should be on their websites. I know CTCRC allow less freedom than HSCC.
As rww states, Appendix K regulations allow less freedom still and many areas of technical aspects are strictly defined by the homologation papers for individual historic touring cars. These papers are available for a fee from MSUK. Some on here may have the papers you require. What car are you building?
Old 7 Dec 2022, 13:50 (Ref:4136348)   #4
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Yes, CSCC regulations are on the website, but AFAIK apart from the Classic K which may be restricted by FIA requirements, none of the series have any minimum weights......
Old 7 Dec 2022, 23:33 (Ref:4136392)   #5
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
If you are preparing to FIA historic regulations you can find and download the Homologation document free of charge here:-

https://historicdb.fia.com/

Is it a BMW you're building? there's about 10 pages of models and variants from early 1960s through to late 1990s :-)
Old 9 Dec 2022, 07:59 (Ref:4136534)   #6
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Thanks to the general acceptance of 'anything goes' 500kg should be your maximum target. Why use steel and aluminium when titanium and magnesium are all on the shelf

As David has pointed out, the FiA papers list weights. Given none of the cars had safety cages or space frames then, they're a realistic target, especially if you rip out all the character of the car.
Old 9 Dec 2022, 08:10 (Ref:4136538)   #7
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
Thanks to the general acceptance of 'anything goes' 500kg should be your maximum target. Why use steel and aluminium when titanium and magnesium are all on the shelf

As David has pointed out, the FiA papers list weights. Given none of the cars had safety cages or space frames then, they're a realistic target, especially if you rip out all the character of the car.
Do I detect a little bitterness here Zef?
Old 9 Dec 2022, 11:45 (Ref:4136557)   #8
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
I think he got out of the wrong side of the bed this morning, as my mother used to say!
Old 9 Dec 2022, 11:49 (Ref:4136558)   #9
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
I'd have though 500kg for a J40 pedal car was a bit high........

Apologies to original poster for our slight deviation of track.......
Old 9 Dec 2022, 13:55 (Ref:4136571)   #10
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
I prefer to consider it fact based sarcasm.

Anyone able to prove otherwise?
Old 9 Dec 2022, 18:46 (Ref:4136605)   #11
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by markymar93 View Post
I am building a 60s historic saloon race car. Just wondered how much i am able to lighten the car.
Hi. I find morninggents asked the good questions. You need the homologation form, the FIA appendix K, the appendix J of period and the regulations of the series you'd like to enter.

Not forgetting that when finishing the prep of your car if the weight is too low you can add some ballast (place of the said ballast up to you). If I'm correct the total weight includes the rops and all the safety devices.

May be the easiest way is to contact a reknown team.
Old 9 Dec 2022, 20:47 (Ref:4136615)   #12
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
Quote:
I prefer to consider it fact based sarcasm.
Anyone able to prove otherwise?

Nope, not me.
Old 10 Dec 2022, 10:48 (Ref:4136681)   #13
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
In all seriousness, If we knew what the marque/model was we may be able to offer sensibe/daft suggestions in more detail.

They 2 big ones are Do you have a **** load of money to burn and do you want to be competitive.

If the answers are no and yes, in that order, you'll need a lot of time.

Many of us here have had a bit of success, spent lots of money and time.

What's changed significantly in recent years is the type of development, not just garagiste ingenuity but full blown modern racing technological advancements, which have rendered old cars irrelevant and uncompetitive.

I've said many times before, the spec of the cars and homologation details haven't changed for 50-60 years, but cars are continually getting faster. They look, measure, handle, go, stop, do everything, differently.
Old 10 Dec 2022, 15:56 (Ref:4136697)   #14
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Always seem slightly odd when a poster asks a question then doesn't respond to any replies......
Old 10 Dec 2022, 18:19 (Ref:4136705)   #15
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
Always seem slightly odd when a poster asks a question then doesn't respond to any replies......
The question was: I am building a 60s historic saloon race car. Just wondered how much i am able to lighten the car. Again I'd say you can lighten it as much as you possibily can, then put some ballast to reach the homologated weight. Depending on the particular car and the targeted series… Et voila!
Old 10 Dec 2022, 18:24 (Ref:4136707)   #16
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
They haven't logged on since asking the question.

It might seem odd, but not every poster visits as regular as others.
Old 10 Dec 2022, 18:44 (Ref:4136711)   #17
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
It might seem odd, but not every poster visits as regular as others.
Knowing the car is from 60's, many of us here wont have the answer!
Old 11 Dec 2022, 09:40 (Ref:4136762)   #18
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
Quote:
Yes, yes it does. Is it a child, a race organiser, The FiA or maybe a middle aged bloke thats just sold a house
Old 11 Dec 2022, 10:33 (Ref:4136764)   #19
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
The problem only rears it's head if a new car appears on the scene and is suddenly at the sharp end and possibly winning straight away, especially if the driver has never raced before.
If the same car is at the back of the grid and is racing with the tail enders then you could get away with murder.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 11 Dec 2022, 12:14 (Ref:4136777)   #20
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It's also a strange question to ask. There are other more pertinent homologation questions that are grist to the mill of forums like this, but "how much to lighten a car" sounds like a leading question.

As in the next post being: "aha, well X uses all carbon fibre body parts so that is legal is it?"

(Example used for illustrative purposes only. No defamation implied over X or his/her/their vehicle or his/her/their reputation. Sorry X if you take offence, it wasn't intended)

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk
Old 11 Dec 2022, 13:05 (Ref:4136779)   #21
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Example used for illustrative purposes only. No defamation implied over X or his/her/their vehicle or his/her/their reputation. Sorry X if you take offence, it wasn't intended)
I'm a Y's friend, why dont you ever talk about her/him/them?
Old 11 Dec 2022, 13:27 (Ref:4136781)   #22
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Sorry Gerard I didn't mean to be Y-ist. Please don't cancel me. Some of my best friends are Ys, in fact I'm thinking of identifying as a Y.

I'll change my screen name to Midgetmay.

Old 11 Dec 2022, 15:44 (Ref:4136793)   #23
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
You made my daY, thanks!
Old 11 Dec 2022, 17:14 (Ref:4136794)   #24
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
It's also a strange question to ask. There are other more pertinent homologation questions that are grist to the mill of forums like this, but "how much to lighten a car" sounds like a leading question.

As in the next post being: "aha, well X uses all carbon fibre body parts so that is legal is it?"

(Example used for illustrative purposes only. No defamation implied over X or his/her/their vehicle or his/her/their reputation. Sorry X if you take offence, it wasn't intended)

I removed the aluminium skinned doors from my car as they looked crap, and refitted steel factory doors.

I managed to get the steel doors 6kg lighter . . . With winders and opening 1/4 lights.

They're full of helium
Old 11 Dec 2022, 18:01 (Ref:4136801)   #25
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Yes, yes it does. Is it a child, a race organiser, The FiA or maybe a middle aged bloke thats just sold a house
the only option is the last one; it's only a few seconds to look at a profile and a poster's pre4vious posts. Mark is 42and he was on here 3 years ago asking about lightening a Volvo Amazon - and was pointed at the Homologation papers then.