Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 3 Jan 2023, 14:22 (Ref:4138824)   #26
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
This address made me smile. https://g.co/kgs/3Q7zpP
Old 3 Jan 2023, 14:27 (Ref:4138825)   #27
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
I have a friend in Canada who has to use a snowmobile at the moment as he has a farm with a huge amount of land that is covered in 5ft of snow. He said that snowmobiles are safe enough, but it's the riders that are the danger to themselves!
Probably similar with quad bikes in the U.K.
Old 3 Jan 2023, 16:16 (Ref:4138832)   #28
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
Probably similar with quad bikes in the U.K.
Being a developing country trottinettes are a concern here!
Old 3 Jan 2023, 16:36 (Ref:4138833)   #29
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
This address made me smile. https://g.co/kgs/3Q7zpP
A good spot Peter, well done
Old 3 Jan 2023, 18:09 (Ref:4138836)   #30
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Religion and "influencers", my two pet hates.
Only two Max? You're not trying hard enough.
Old 3 Jan 2023, 18:54 (Ref:4138837)   #31
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin McKay View Post
You can add red isolator switches, Colin, a device you know to be very unreliable… Dont think a change in color could make things better!
Old 3 Jan 2023, 21:27 (Ref:4138846)   #32
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin McKay View Post
Haha two is plenty for the breakfast table!

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk
Old 4 Jan 2023, 10:18 (Ref:4138879)   #33
Derwent
Racer

Derwent is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Croft is very strict about Sunday mornings, no running engines in the paddock and no racing until after midday.
Old 4 Jan 2023, 14:42 (Ref:4138908)   #34
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
I know that as you get older "we" (including me) tend to forget things that are important and this morning it caught me out ! I went into my local car spares place to return some parts and pay my last bill, and as it was over a certain amount I needed to tap in the pin number and I could not remember it !!
Obviously there are other ways to use the card including using my phone and also splitting the bill to still use contactless, however will any other 10thers admit to forgetting the same thing ? Of course directly I got home I remembered it! The thing is that I probably haven't used the pin number for months after using this "new fangled" technology for ages
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 4 Jan 2023, 14:44 (Ref:4138909)   #35
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Happened to me in Belgium one year. I insisited on typing in the "correct" number three times and my card became locked. I've also typed in the credit card pin for my ATM card. Result? ATM card blocked.
Old 4 Jan 2023, 15:01 (Ref:4138911)   #36
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Happened to me in Belgium one year. I insisited on typing in the "correct" number three times and my card became locked. I've also typed in the credit card pin for my ATM card. Result? ATM card blocked.
So there are other silly buggers out there!
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 4 Jan 2023, 15:03 (Ref:4138912)   #37
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I know that as you get older "we" (including me) tend to forget things that are important and this morning it caught me out ! I went into my local car spares place to return some parts and pay my last bill, and as it was over a certain amount I needed to tap in the pin number and I could not remember it !!
Obviously there are other ways to use the card including using my phone and also splitting the bill to still use contactless, however will any other 10thers admit to forgetting the same thing ? Of course directly I got home I remembered it! The thing is that I probably haven't used the pin number for months after using this "new fangled" technology for ages
Been there and done that. Contactless has its advantages but not if you them forget your pin due to lack of regular use!
Old 4 Jan 2023, 15:38 (Ref:4138917)   #38
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
I've been having this problem for years, partly because I tend to mix up the pins or parts of them for different cards and partly because, for one card, I tend to recall a very old pin from time to time.

Usually remembered correctly when it's just too late. Just as you described. I think it's a common problem. Maybe not for people who habitually change the code (and their passwords) to be all the same codes (or passwords).
Old 4 Jan 2023, 16:15 (Ref:4138920)   #39
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
It happened to me unfortunately, a few years ago before contactless came in (so I can't use that excuse). I'd been sent a 'can you just?' grocery shopping request by my wife and as I didn't have my wallet with me, had to use my emergency credit card that I kept hidden in the car 'just in case'. I got to the till in Asda and after one (incorrect) attempt my mind went blank and I just couldn't remember the PIN for this particular card. I felt like everyone in the shop was looking at me, thinking I was trying to use a stolen card, I was so embarrassed. I left my trolley full of shopping and explained loudly (so that everyone could hear me) that I would go home and get another card so I could come back & pay. I drove the 8 miles home, to get this card and returned to the shop so I could pay and take my groceries home, despite my wife insisting that I could just buy what we needed in our village, I felt the need to return to Asda and prove my innosence!
Since then I have come up with creative ways of helping me to remember my different PIN's, but with all of the passwords and so on that we do have to remember nowadays for everything, remembering them all as I get older is becoming a real concern.
Old 4 Jan 2023, 17:19 (Ref:4138925)   #40
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's an all together recurring problem with me as well, so much so that invariably I carry cash as well as a card!
Old 4 Jan 2023, 19:18 (Ref:4138937)   #41
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
Quote:
Originally Posted by justracing View Post
It's an all together recurring problem with me as well, so much so that invariably I carry cash as well as a card!
Arh yes, but when I worked in London on a contract about 6-7 years ago:
1. I had no idea what an Oyster card was and when I got on a bus and tried to pay cash the driver thought I was an idiot and told me they didn’t take cash and I had to get off, with a consequent delay, whilst the queue behind me got irritated.
2. When i tried to pay for my lunch in a local sandwich shop with cash and handed over a £10 note there was much tutting from behind me in the queue as the shop assistant had to ask her supervisor how to use the till with a consequent delay!
Old 4 Jan 2023, 19:30 (Ref:4138938)   #42
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I've got a card that I have mostly only used contactless. I have my PIN encoded in my phone, last time I had to find it I couldn't remember my secret storage method

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk
Old 5 Jan 2023, 06:48 (Ref:4138959)   #43
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
This is all very interesting . I can remember lots of customer and suppliers phone numbers . Only when I get to work . Mind is blank when I am at home .
Old 5 Jan 2023, 13:48 (Ref:4138990)   #44
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Regarding passwords/pin numbers, it's all very well if you only have to remember one or two but it gets more difficult after that, especially for us of advanced years!!
One of mine that I use is a registration number of my first motorbike (with a couple of extra digits) when I was 16 years old that I have never forgotten, and as I scrapped it when I was 17 it would be virtually impossible to find it out as it has never shown up on DVLA since. As for contactless cards, has anyone on 10ths had one stolen or cloned? One of my customers(while she was walking her dog) had her handbag stolen out of her car when it was parked (OK I know she shouldn't have left it in the car) and they had a field day with it within the time she was away.To add to that she didn't have a mobile phone with her to report her card had been stolen until she drove home!.
Old 5 Jan 2023, 14:41 (Ref:4138999)   #45
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Neither stolen nor cloned, just lost two contactless Visas at the same moment. It took me may be ten to fifteen minutes to realize, then gave a phone call to the service. By this time, the two had been used to the maximum for one day that I asked to be 50€. Some people are really fast!

As to secret codes, each website warning inisists on the fact that you shouldnt use the same password for several sites. Just impossible imo.
Old 5 Jan 2023, 15:28 (Ref:4139006)   #46
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Sometimes the automated side of the credit card security does work. I used my company card to buy something that was "alien" to it for about £600, and before I got out of the premises where I had used it my mobile rang. It was the credit card firm who asked me my name and other security questions and where I was at that moment as a transaction had flagged up a possible illegal use.
Old 5 Jan 2023, 15:35 (Ref:4139008)   #47
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Fine! I dunno if we can have this feature on a Visa or Master here.
Old 5 Jan 2023, 16:03 (Ref:4139012)   #48
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Fine! I dunno if we can have this feature on a Visa or Master here.
It has only happened on my company card but never on my personal one. The thing is that just about everything on the company card is related to the motor trade and fuel etc, the one that was questioned was from an electrical wholesale firm for a computer, and I had never bought anything from them with that card before.
Old 5 Jan 2023, 16:49 (Ref:4139017)   #49
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
When should you give up driving ? I haven't done this yet
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnESmfdhR1Y
Old 5 Jan 2023, 16:51 (Ref:4139018)   #50
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Good grief!