Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 27 Jun 2023, 11:49 (Ref:4165666)   #851
Tel 911S
Veteran

Tel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Yes, I've been to France and they are quite helpful there. Speaking French helps, even if they can speak better English then they let on. But then times have changed, as English gets more of a requirement. I would love to go back there again, there's plenty to explore.
I have driven over a half a million miles in Europe , and been in France many hundreds of times .Never usually any problems ,even when stopped by the French Douane many times . They like to hang about at motorway toll booths for easy targets .
One thing to remember is that the Autoroute tolls, time you from 1 point to another , so on long sections , stop for fuel to make sure you have not been to quick .
Old 27 Jun 2023, 12:12 (Ref:4165668)   #852
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tel 911S View Post
Gerard , I often found the French to be quite helpful , if you can speak a bit of French .
20 odd years ago I had a delivery [ high tech / high security so could not go by normal mail delivery systems ], to Troyes .
Got to the area where I thought it should be but could not find Street name etc .
Asked a passing Frenchman who did not know it , but he had a map at his home a few hundred meters away . Got there , looked at street map and nothing . He was " devastated " , and it must be "Nouveau"
He had been very helpful , but went back to area with new industrial units , tried a new secure looking factory , with no name , in a street with no name and found the company I wanted .
A delivery of high tech/high security to a secure looking factory with no name on a street with no name? All sounds very James Bond to me!
Old 27 Jun 2023, 12:19 (Ref:4165669)   #853
Tel 911S
Veteran

Tel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
A delivery of high tech/high security to a secure looking factory with no name on a street with no name? All sounds very James Bond to me!
Yes , but I can,t tell you about it or I would have to kill you .
Old 27 Jun 2023, 12:21 (Ref:4165670)   #854
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A few years ago some friends bought a new-build house on a new development & for a time they regularly had trouble with getting deliveries because their address (including postcode) didn't exist on sat-navs & the like.

A classic case of "computer says no..."
Old 27 Jun 2023, 13:10 (Ref:4165676)   #855
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
A few years ago some friends bought a new-build house on a new development & for a time they regularly had trouble with getting deliveries because their address (including postcode) didn't exist on sat-navs & the like.

The same happened to me in Spain; over half the properties built on the road where my house was constructed were considered to be "illegal". A common theme; corruption in a town hall, repeated throughout the country and which goes right up to the top political class, and even the last king had to abdicate because he and others in the royal family had been somewhat naughty.

In our case, the town hall, in reality the mayor and his sidekick who ran the planning department, issued building licences to builders and developers from a set of documents, copies of which did not exist in the town hall. Worse than that was that the land on which they were built was deemed to be "rural", something similar to our green belt, and so no construction was permitted. What they had done was move the fence that surrounded this rural land about 50 metres into the rural land because the land owner couldn't use it for agricultural purposes and wanted to sell it off.

My builder was part of an old established family firm, honest as the day was long and and an absolutely lovely guy as was his family. They even invited a couple of my neighbours and I - they also built 4 of the adjacent properties - to a family wedding and other social events. And as the properties couldn't be registered whilst I lived there, we all had to rely on builder's supply of water and electricity which they paid for for the ten years that I owned the property. The properties couldn't be sold, in theory, but the contract that I had with the builder permitted me to "sell" it back to the builder if it wasn't fully legal, which is what I did.
Old 27 Jun 2023, 13:20 (Ref:4165677)   #856
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
The same happened to me in Spain; over half the properties built on the road where my house was constructed were considered to be "illegal". A common theme; corruption in a town hall, repeated throughout the country and which goes right up to the top political class, and even the last king had to abdicate because he and others in the royal family had been somewhat naughty.

In our case, the town hall, in reality the mayor and his sidekick who ran the planning department, issued building licences to builders and developers from a set of documents, copies of which did not exist in the town hall. Worse than that was that the land on which they were built was deemed to be "rural", something similar to our green belt, and so no construction was permitted. What they had done was move the fence that surrounded this rural land about 50 metres into the rural land because the land owner couldn't use it for agricultural purposes and wanted to sell it off.

My builder was part of an old established family firm, honest as the day was long and and an absolutely lovely guy as was his family. They even invited a couple of my neighbours and I - they also built 4 of the adjacent properties - to a family wedding and other social events. And as the properties couldn't be registered whilst I lived there, we all had to rely on builder's supply of water and electricity which they paid for for the ten years that I owned the property. The properties couldn't be sold, in theory, but the contract that I had with the builder permitted me to "sell" it back to the builder if it wasn't fully legal, which is what I did.
I'm very glad we chose France & not Spain - i hear so many stories like that.

The friends I spoke of actually bought their house in Tewkesbury so probably not quite so corrupt!
Old 27 Jun 2023, 14:05 (Ref:4165679)   #857
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Someone mentioned AI in sat navs above. Has anyone tried to get BBC Sounds on Android?

Me: "Hey Google play Radio 2 on BBC Sounds"

Daft AI bint: "Texting BBC Points West."

Today it was "Play BBC 5 Live"

And I got not "live" but a random football podcast.

There's a long way to go before we have to fear it yet.......

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk
Old 27 Jun 2023, 14:45 (Ref:4165684)   #858
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Wait a little bit more Max and you'll receive four margharitas with onions and two spare ribs with french fries. Just a matter of time ya no…
Old 27 Jun 2023, 17:45 (Ref:4165700)   #859
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post

In a similar vein I moved into a new build house, albeit not on an estate, rather a large old property which had been demolished, the block subdivided, front and rear and two separate houses built. I have been in the house just on three years... the completion/ move in date was right at he time of Covid breaking, in fact the weekend after the Australian GP being cancelled mid meeting. Because my address was technically a new address in an old street (the two houses became A & B) my problems were more getting services switched on. Gas water and electricity was no problem, simply a meter reading and voila. All the internet / telecom cabling was all in place. Telstra just kept telling me the address doesnt exist, the Foxtel cable TV the same.... organising people to come and install the dish and connect the house to the street feed met with a "Mate there is no such place, the property doesnt exist". Despite my telling them I was actually living in this house that they tell me doesnt exist Got it all sorted by sending them my council rates notice with the new address confirmed in the end.

As an aside sat navs still only find. the original address and after 3 years my deliveries generally get delivered to the wrong (front) house. My house is down a driveway to the rear. Takeaway food deliveries get told when ordering its the rear house now, after a few non deliveries..... when I have rung to say how much longer I got told we tried to deliver it but got told it hadnt been ordered

Looking for my house on Google maps still shows the old original large single house .... go to 'street view' shows no house at all, just the flat building site with a bulldozer and crane on site!
Old 27 Jun 2023, 18:33 (Ref:4165703)   #860
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
If your uncle is Bob, just tell them that you're the crane chauffeur! Or quitt this kind of food!
Old 27 Jun 2023, 19:00 (Ref:4165705)   #861
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
I find a shame that all the Satnav sellers have change the meaning of "life time warranty" and "free update". But with some imagination, a lot of patience and hard work, sometimes you can bypass those poor and questionable practices. I had a bloke wanting to drive to a country of new freedom with open minded people, located north of Africa (nor Morocco, neither Algeria). No downlodable map was available (forbidden in fact!). I found a free software to put in his Tomtom device and with the help of Google Earth it was rather easy to load accurate way points. It worked fine. I just wonder how evil folks would do with a drone…
Old 27 Jun 2023, 19:44 (Ref:4165710)   #862
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Satnavs and delivery drivers are also up against it as well. In the UK we live "out in sticks" and for years we have had problems with parcels being delivered. What normally happens is that I get an email to say that it has been delivered at X time and sometimes accompanied with a picture of a modern door with the parcel on the step that doesn't resemble our 500 year old house at all ! I then have to "try" and speak to an actual "person" that takes for ever and try and get it sorted. Sometimes it gets delivered by a person along the road that has the same sort of post code and the same numbered house. The worst that I have had happen is a near neighbor found a parcel meant for me on her lawn when she came back from holiday. I had reported it as not being delivered a week before and it was "under investigation" It happened to be a very expensive part for my video equipment !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 27 Jun 2023, 20:18 (Ref:4165712)   #863
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Delivery drivers can be an absolute nightmare and are quite capable of getting into trouble themselves and for whom they work.

3 years ago, at the height of the pandemic, as you know, I was stuck in hospital, As I only had limited stuff with me, I started ordering things online to be delivered to the hospital. The hospital had closed all the patient/visitor entrances bar the main one which was manned 24 hours a day and where all patient deliveries had to be made. From there, one of the porters would deliver the items to the various wards.

Knowing this, I made it quite clear on the instructions where the deliveries were to be made, but it seemed that the drivers knew of a side door that was, in theory at least, only used by staff to gain entry. So they carried on using it, and they tried handing parcels and packages to the main reception desk,who kept refusing them; there was even a big notice up on the glass screen saying no deliveries accepted.

So the drivers would just take the packages back to the van and reporting that the delivery had been refused.

In the end, I ended up having multiple phone conversations with a senior manager of a well known online retailer trying to explain exactly how deliveries should be made and more importantly the exact address, plus a map and pictures of the entrance from Google Maps. Even then the next attempt was problematic with the driver trying to get in through an entrance on the other side of the hospital which had a different road name and a different postcode. I then had to guide him to the correct entrance and even then he told the security staff on the entrance that he had to take it to the reception desk, and they made him call me so that I could tell him to leave it with them.

All I can say is that these adventures kept me sane during my 4 months sentence; well I assume it was similar to being incarcerated at his or her pleasure.
Old 27 Jun 2023, 20:27 (Ref:4165713)   #864
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Our work address is 46 Xxxxxxx, which is actually a bungalow which is in the grounds of the factory where we are based. Despite having a photo of where we are, specific instructions where to deliver, an address that always gives pointers to where we are, our parcels go to the bungalow.

"Sat nav said the bungalow chief"

"Didn't you read the label?"

Blank stare.

Of all the carriers DPD is the best because they give short delivery windows and tell me "You're next" so I can lurk around outside looking for the driver. They also send a photo showing where they left it when I've not seen them!

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk
Old 27 Jun 2023, 21:08 (Ref:4165719)   #865
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Someone mentioned AI in sat navs above. Has anyone tried to get BBC Sounds on Android?

Me: "Hey Google play Radio 2 on BBC Sounds"

Daft AI bint: "Texting BBC Points West."

Today it was "Play BBC 5 Live"

And I got not "live" but a random football podcast.

There's a long way to go before we have to fear it yet.......
Can't be bothered to learn the commands for Management's Kia Voice control system.

However, she constantly asks me to explain what the radio is doing and why is does/doesn't provide local TA Traffic Announcements.

Locally this TA stuff seems to work somewhat for me - at least in so far as the message that there is a message comes up and sometimes works but at other times all that happens is that the audio goes quiet and there is no message.

In North Wales last week we frequently got a blast of radio (the radio was either off or the volume turned right down for some reason) for no apparent reason. Local radios or, on a couple of occasions, BBC Radio 2.

No traffic info. Just a few seconds of radio program then off again.

Peculiar.

Perhaps an example of the Artificial Stupidity that must surely accompany the AI claims.

The most worrying aspect of AI is that there seem to be many people who think it will revolutionise their lives in a positive way without really understanding the concept for what it is and is not.
Old 28 Jun 2023, 10:50 (Ref:4165761)   #866
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Technology still has a way to go, but I've never heard of a voice command in a car asking about the radio, that's just weird. Still a sat nav usually is a very good piece of kit to have. BTW this reminds me of when my parents would have traffic reports update on their car, which was a new feature then. Would interrupt a CD so we would know was happening on the roads. That was a long time ago now!
Old 28 Jun 2023, 16:59 (Ref:4165789)   #867
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
The most worrying aspect of AI is that there seem to be many people who think it will revolutionise their lives in a positive way without really understanding the concept for what it is and is not.
All the difference between AI and human one!
Old 28 Jun 2023, 22:39 (Ref:4165808)   #868
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
We’ve not yet seen a post that demonstrates “understanding the concept for what it is and is not”.
Old 29 Jun 2023, 10:08 (Ref:4165824)   #869
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
We’ve not yet seen a post that demonstrates “understanding the concept for what it is and is not”.
For what it is, they want to screw up everybody on the planet, extension of Big Brother methinks. What it is not? Given that now they cant stop the boomy AI to develop itself I guess everything is totally out of control by now! But if you really want to see artificially intelligent people, Adam, having a look to what's happening in France now will give you a rough idea. Want more? Have a look to our gov' replies…
Old 29 Jun 2023, 11:07 (Ref:4165829)   #870
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
About nothing that we are currently discussing, however something that mystifies me.

Now, I know all about the principle of companies having lost leaders, but I wanted a cheap buffing attachment for my drill. So I looked on two well known online retailers but I thought their products to be more expensive for the very simple job that I wanted to do. Therefore I did a Google search and there I found just what I wanted for the sum of only £3 odd. Great, so I ordered it from the retailer of whom I had never heard of before.

I can't now remember whether I looked up details about the retailer or read any reviews of the company before or after I had placed the order, but for £3 odd, I wasn't too worried. Anyway, it turns out that the company is a Chinese concern, and they have decided to not have distribution outlets in other countries but to dispatch everything from their centres in mainland China. As far as that was concerned, that was fine as I wasn't in a hurry for the buffer, it's just something that I need to use by the autumn.

I ordered the product just a week ago, and yet it was delivered this morning; a better service than some UK based retailers can manage. But how can they afford to do this at that price? It came via air cargo and I am pretty sure that the Royal Mail delivery charge will be about what the overall cost was let alone the airfreight cost and the production cost of the item.

I'm not complaining; I mean I have got an absolute bargain which was about 4 times more elsewhere. Just makes no sense to me as there no guarantee that I will ever purchase anything else from them in the future.
Old 29 Jun 2023, 12:57 (Ref:4165835)   #871
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
I ordered the product just a week ago, and yet it was delivered this morning; a better service than some UK based retailers can manage. But how can they afford to do this at that price? It came via air cargo and I am pretty sure that the Royal Mail delivery charge will be about what the overall cost was let alone the airfreight cost and the production cost of the item.
Aliexpress you mean? Yes, works fine, no secret its all about pooling and sharing. Surprisingly I ordered an alum rad for a 951 and it was good quality, fair price and fast delivery. But I was prepared to pay some import taxes and others, nothing showed up from our custom dept. Why. Because they know our rules and fill the forms to escape any further cost. In my case it was "spare part to repair element". How they learn all this is another question.
Old 29 Jun 2023, 14:47 (Ref:4165839)   #872
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cheap because their labour costs are peanuts. Perhaps not applicable to a cheap £3 item but would you be prepared to travel to China to fight a court case if you bought an expensive item that wasn't fit for purchase (e.g. one of these chocolate steel cranks you see advertised for under a grand). If they have no UK or European distributor you have no UK or European recourse.
Old 29 Jun 2023, 14:56 (Ref:4165841)   #873
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Actually it was a company called Temu, Gérard. However, seeing as how the Chinese state appears to have fingers in every pie, as the children's rhyme goes, they could well be the same company.

As for the duty on items, it could well be that they've mixed up your and my email addresses as I keep getting emails from so called "couriers" telling me that fees have to be paid before they can deliver some "goods" that I haven't even ordered. Oh, and the senders of these emails all have obscure email addresses that supposedly have come from the USA. And no, I don't open them; they go straight in the bin!
Old 29 Jun 2023, 15:01 (Ref:4165842)   #874
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by morninggents View Post
Cheap because their labour costs are peanuts. Perhaps not applicable to a cheap £3 item but would you be prepared to travel to China to fight a court case if you bought an expensive item that wasn't fit for purchase (e.g. one of these chocolate steel cranks you see advertised for under a grand). If they have no UK or European distributor you have no UK or European recourse.

Peter, as it was just a cheap item, I really wasn't bothered. However, I would have wanted to know a lot more, from a dependable source, if it was something important.

Curiously, when I did search for reviews of the company, they were nearly all very negative with many claiming that they never received their items. Yet my single experience has been very positive and the goods are exactly as described and just what I wanted. So, Happy Days!
Old 29 Jun 2023, 16:24 (Ref:4165847)   #875
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Never receive an item, or receive "something" quite different is a wondeful experience here! Try a Uber taxi also called VTC, and you can ask for a prostituate, male, female, third gender, Yorkshire, Chihuaha, any drug, coke, new mexican delivery and so on. When when it comes to ask for "just drive me home, mate", things become much more complicated as if by magic.

Sometimes I've a look at the comments about Deliveroo (equivalent to Uber eats) whose average customer is not quite familiar with places like Carlton or Martinez hotels if you see what I mean. You can read comments like "this son a b**ch didn't even ring at my door" or "this b@st@rd ate all my french fries" or "his scooter stings" or "WTH did they buy using my credit card numbers?". Should be called Uber Hits! The good part of living on a crazy planet, is you don't feel alone when bad things happen to others! Oui, je sais, ce n'est pas très Chrétien mais bon sang ça fait du bien! Et même vachement du bien. Ta!
Closed Thread