Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 6 Mar 2002, 11:24 (Ref:229168)   #1
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
AGP supports - Celebrity Race Results?

Hi, it's unlikely I'll find an answer to this one, but are there any sites with results of ALL the celebrity races from Adelaide and Albert Park? No particular reason really, just curious

Thanks,

Scott
Old 6 Mar 2002, 11:30 (Ref:229173)   #2
RaceTime
Veteran

RaceTime should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Unlikely you will now get past results unless you search the AGP web site itself.

As from Adelaide - very unlikely with the move to Melbourne - and particularly the early days when it was timed manually - the timing crew from Adelaide are loathe to make ANY results available - even current ones, so getting 10/15 year old results will be next to impossible.

Anyone with 15 years worth of Auto Action back copies might be able to help - give Crash Test a yell...

Last edited by RaceTime; 6 Mar 2002 at 11:31.
Old 6 Mar 2002, 12:31 (Ref:229202)   #3
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Pfffttt Race Time.... I wish I were collecting AA's since I was 5

I only go back about 7,8 years, but generally the Celebrity race reports would just be a paragraph or two, nothing substantial.
Old 7 Mar 2002, 07:49 (Ref:229781)   #4
William Dale Jr
Veteran

Australia
Townsville, North Queensland
William Dale Jr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have the best part of 200 Auto Actions, the earliest contains a report on the 1987 ATCC round at Sandown! But would you believe it, I only have one that has a report on the AGP - 1991. It's downstairs in a box in the shed - I can go down and have a look for it if you like and see what kind of a report it has.

Plus, I've got tapes of the AGP dating back to 1990, but I'm missing the celebrity races of 1990 and 1992, and Channel 9 never did show proper results...
Old 7 Mar 2002, 11:57 (Ref:229890)   #5
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Stars Outshone in MINI Celebrity Challenge
6. March 2002

Sydney computer expert Tom Browell had the week of his life today taking out the inaugural MINI Celebrity Challenge at the 2002 Foster's Australian Grand Prix in Melbourne.
Tom also set his name in the history books by registering the first international win of the MINI Coopers' return to racing.

In one of the most spectacular and heart stopping races in the history of the Celebrity Challenge, Olympic gold and silver medallist Russell Mark OAM took out second place ahead of Great Britain's Mike Cooper, the son of the founder of John Cooper Works, the builders of the original Mini Coopers.

Tom gained his 'ticket' into the event by winning the Qantas competition to drive in the MINI Celebrity Challenge. His lucky streak continued into the race by having secured pole position and being able to avoid all the thrills the celebrities were putting into their driving.

One of the most spectacular pieces of action came from US TV star and international model Antonio Sabato Jnr.

Antonio, who has earned the title the 'human cannonball' during his practice sessions, literally weaved his way down the track and onto the grass after 'mixing lines' with INXS lead singer Jon Stevens when emerging from one of the corners.

Antonio had been pushing for a podium finish until the incident, which allowed Jon to make his way through to finish in fourth position.

The first woman to come home was the Face of Foster's, Krista Vendy, who took out 12th position, ahead of four times world surfing champion, Layne Beachley.

Layne badly missed the start and later admitted that she was talking to TV commentators at the time. When she finally realised the race was on a comedy of errors set in, from thinking the car had stalled, to trying to start it with the engine running and then missing the gears.

Star of the TV series Getaway, Ben Dark, tried to live up to the name of his show, but unfortunately became the 'meat in the sandwich' in an end-to-end incident with fellow TV star Michelle Walsh and Australia's leading women's tennis player, Alicia Molik. Ben had to retire from the race, but he now knows that the six air bags in the new MINIs work very effectively.

Although Russell Mark was pleased with his podium finish, he was quick to point out that he was 'getting sick of silver medals.' He finished in second position in his qualifying session for the race which continued the silver trend from his Sydney Olympic's shoot-out for gold medal in the trap event. He took gold in the same event at the Atlanta Olympics.

Unfortunately for Changing Rooms star Suzie Wilks, the kitty litter proved her undoing. She slid off the track early in the race - just as she had done during the two days of practice - and ended her Albert Park appearance signing autographs. She also renamed the safety mixture 'pebble mix' because she had 'messed it up so much it was time for a change' - at least in name.

For Mike Cooper the podium finish could not have been a more fitting reward. As Chairman of John Cooper Works, his company prepared and fitted-out the MINI Coopers for the race. Mike was in Australia for official 'on sale' launch of the MINI Cooper last Saturday, but he declared the Celebrity race to be the happiest day in his life.

The final results of the 2002 MINI Celebrity Challenge were:

1. Tom Browell Qantas competition winner
2. Russell Mark, OAM Olympic Gold and Silver medallist
3. Mike Cooper Chairman of John Cooper Works
4. Jon Stevens Lead singer of INXS
5. Greg Alexander Former Rugby League International, presenter 2UE
6. David Campese, OAM Former Wallaby and international record holder
7. Matt Tilley Presenter Fox FM
8. Mike Hammond Radio and Foxtel presenter
9. Colin Marland Winner of the 2001 Grand Prix Ball competition
10. Frank Farina Head coach of the Socceroos
11. James Brayshaw Presenter Triple M
12. Krista Vendy Face of Foster's for the Grand Prix
13. Layne Beachley Four times World surfing champion
14. Prue Jackson Model
15. Scott Cam Presenter, Backyard Blitz, Channel 9
16. Michelle Walsh Presenter and reporter, Escape with ET, Channel 9
17. Karina Brown Host, Body and Soul, Channel 9
18. Michael Caton Actor and host, Hot Property, Channel 7
19. Johnnie Cass Personal trainer and actor
20. Katrina Warren Resident Vet, Harry's Practice, Channel 7
21. John Burns Presenter 3AW
DNF* Antonio Sabato Jnr US TV star
DNF Suzie Wilks Host Changing Rooms, Channel 9
DNF Ben DarK Presenter Getaway, Channel 9
DNF Alicia Molik Australia's No. 1 professional tennis player

* Did Not Finish
Old 7 Mar 2002, 23:33 (Ref:230446)   #6
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Wonderful performance from The Great Greg Alexander!
Old 8 Mar 2002, 02:25 (Ref:230547)   #7
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Interesting to see some ch7 people get a drive... but notice that they were really slow...

But the caption on the inside back cover of AA sums it up- who the heck are half these people. Also the Reverand Limiter hit the nail on the head a few weeks back- we needed Mr Been.

1. Tom Browell Qantas competition winner - is he a celebrity now??
2. Russell Mark, OAM Olympic Gold and Silver medallist - relatively famous.
3. Mike Cooper Chairman of John Cooper Works - not really a celebrity
4. Jon Stevens Lead singer of INXS - fair enough
5. Greg Alexander Former Rugby League International, presenter 2UE - Hrmmm, not the best footballer, and who listens to 2ue??
6. David Campese, OAM Former Wallaby and international record holder - fair enough
7. Matt Tilley Presenter Fox FM - who??
8. Mike Hammond Radio and Foxtel presenter - really?
9. Colin Marland Winner of the 2001 Grand Prix Ball competition - why?
10. Frank Farina Head coach of the Socceroos - Soccerwhos?
11. James Brayshaw Presenter Triple M - who??
12. Krista Vendy Face of Foster's for the Grand Prix - is she a glass of beer?
13. Layne Beachley Four times World surfing champion - not really a surfing fan...
14. Prue Jackson Model - of what?
15. Scott Cam Presenter, Backyard Blitz, Channel 9 - who??
16. Michelle Walsh Presenter and reporter, Escape with ET, Channel 9 - who??
17. Karina Brown Host, Body and Soul, Channel 9 - who??
18. Michael Caton Actor and host, Hot Property, Channel 7 - if it was Michael Caton the bloke from the Castle, fair enough...
19. Johnnie Cass Personal trainer and actor - **** off
20. Katrina Warren Resident Vet, Harry's Practice, Channel 7 - if it was Dr Harry himself, it'd be another matter...
21. John Burns Presenter 3AW - obviously does the drive time slot, because he obviously can't drive
DNF* Antonio Sabato Jnr US TV star - aren't there any available Australian Tv stars (who are celebrities)?
DNF Suzie Wilks Host Changing Rooms, Channel 9 - Who??
DNF Ben DarK Presenter Getaway, Channel 9 - who??
DNF Alicia Molik Australia's No. 1 professional tennis player - I suppose... I'd like to see lil Layton do some fist pumping road rage stuff...
Old 8 Mar 2002, 03:38 (Ref:230571)   #8
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Crash Test
5. Greg Alexander Former Rugby League International, presenter 2UE - Hrmmm, not the best footballer, and who listens to 2ue??
Wash your mouth out Crash!

Brandy was one of the greatest halfbacks (and definitely the most underrated) to ever play the game of Rugby League!

Apparently plenty of people listen to 2UE. It's the most listened to radio station in Sydney.

And as for the Layne Beachley question mark. She's only a 4 time world champion. What more do you need?

Last edited by mac; 8 Mar 2002 at 03:40.
Old 8 Mar 2002, 05:42 (Ref:230612)   #9
sevi
Veteran

sevi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Crash you have a sheltered life.
Karina Brown isn't she married to a Daddo, therefore everyone must know her, and I think she is the bird off sale of the century.
Micheal caton, your right there is off The Castle.
Susie Wilks she used to go out with what's his name.
Ben Dark, come on The Bushpig, was on B105 and some TV show. He use to have a show at the sheraton on Wed nights, problem being he never knew the words to Khe San so he would give me the mike to sing it for him. About the only person I have ever sounded better than.
Old 8 Mar 2002, 06:04 (Ref:230618)   #10
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
I agree, incredibly underrated

Where's Sydney?

"Susie Wilks she used to go out with what's his name."
-I used to go out with my ex-girlfriend, does that mean that I get a drive next year?

"Ben Dark, come on The Bushpig, was on B105 and some TV show."
- Bush-pig? I was once on some TV show...ok it was on SBS....but still, further grounds for me getting a drive next year. How about the QLD 500 last year? I was on TV heaps! I even stood behind TC and Billy Woods when they did an interview, then went around and poked faces at TC, making him trip over his tounge a few times. Surely that is worth a mention?

Then again, Sevi was also shown during the 500, so she can get a drive too
Old 8 Mar 2002, 06:12 (Ref:230622)   #11
RaceTime
Veteran

Hey - I got a 20 minute segment of a FoxSport show (Between The Gears) devoted just to me, RPM did a 5 minute segment on me 3 years ago - do these qualify for me as well? <g>
Old 8 Mar 2002, 06:17 (Ref:230624)   #12
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Nah, you get a wildcard into the V8s with credentials like that....

Old 8 Mar 2002, 06:22 (Ref:230626)   #13
RaceTime
Veteran

Darn - and I had already gone and bought my ex-Jaques Villeneuve XXXXL sized driving suit to hide the love handles
Old 8 Mar 2002, 06:36 (Ref:230632)   #14
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Jacques must have many love handles, because he always seems to have a lot of women hanging off him...

What the heck were we talking about?
Old 8 Mar 2002, 06:40 (Ref:230638)   #15
RaceTime
Veteran

Dunno now - forgotten - must be this autumn sun we are getting in Melbourne today!
Old 20 Mar 2002, 08:15 (Ref:239933)   #16
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I remember what you were talking about and I agree. There are an awful lot of "barely knowns" in the celebrity races nowadays. Must be showing my age, but i remember Michael Caton as Uncle Harry in the Sullivans.

I wonder how long it will be before they let another member of the public in the celebrity race. They did it years ago in Adelaide and exactly the same thing happened, he cleared off and left the celebrities for dead and made them look like a right bunch of fools.
Old 20 Mar 2002, 12:13 (Ref:240034)   #17
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Some celebrities probably didn't enter because of what happened with Katrina Rowntree (spelt something liek that) last year.

Also the sponser's and network choose who races (although that doesn't completely explain the channel 7 drivers)

Take Krista Vendy, she was the face of Foster's for the GP so she got a start because of them, unless acting in Neighbours makes you a household celeb.
Old 20 Mar 2002, 13:05 (Ref:240082)   #18
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
"Take Krista Vendy, she was the face of Foster's for the GP..."
- Who is she? A head off a beer?
Old 30 Mar 2002, 13:08 (Ref:247300)   #19
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What the hell kind of a name is Krista Vendy? Don't parents practice saying the whole name before they decide on the given name
Old 1 Apr 2002, 08:20 (Ref:248708)   #20
RaceTime
Veteran

Like the driver of a mini in NSW in the 1970's Michael Hunt - preferred to be iknowne, and entered as Mike Hunt...