Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 2 Apr 2002, 22:26 (Ref:250413)   #1
Schummy
Subscriber
Veteran

Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!
Teams points along the years

I have done a graph showing Ferrari, McLaren, Williams and Benetton scoring from 1983 to 2001.

The scoring is calculated as points per race. Vertical scale is percentage with respect to maximum possible score (100% = 16 points). I have used current F1 scoring system, this is, 10 points for first position, in order to make an unbiased comparison.
Attached Thumbnails
f1_teams_evo.gif  
Old 2 Apr 2002, 22:29 (Ref:250417)   #2
Schummy
Subscriber
Veteran

Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!
ah! And I did a 3 term moving average and chose a "smooth" option in Excel graph.
Old 3 Apr 2002, 17:24 (Ref:251001)   #3
Nicholas
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nicholas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for the stats Schummy.

Speaking of the current 10 points for a win system, is it true that Prost would have won 6 driver's championships?

That's the driver, not the team. April Fool's missed me by a couple of days
Classic Eddie Irvine moments, #1
Interviewer: "Why has Schumacher got an odd shaped helmet?" Eddie: "Because he's German, he's got an odd shaped head"
Old 4 Apr 2002, 18:11 (Ref:251952)   #4
Emfa
Veteran

Australia
Colorado Springs
Emfa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting set of stats there, Schummy. (You could call it the Dominator graph! ) I thought they would have generated more comment than they have, though. Good idea to plot the percentage of available points.

It's kind of interesting that it was only last year that Ferrari passed the level of 'domination' that McLaren had in '89 - I would have thought that it occurred earlier than that. Question: did you extrapolate the graph to determine when Ferrari will have total domination?

It really is a cyclic business, isn't it?
Old 5 Apr 2002, 03:43 (Ref:252402)   #5
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Emfa

It really is a cyclic business, isn't it?
...Always said so-its nice to have the graphic proof. I find the mirrored fortunes of McLaren and williams especially illuminating. If the trends continue, we can count on a bad patch for the next few yoears at Woking as Williams ascends the order.

Thanks Schummy-its a terriffic graphic.
Old 5 Apr 2002, 04:09 (Ref:252411)   #6
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, very interesting, especially the exact mirroring of McLaren and Williams - amazing.
Old 5 Apr 2002, 09:53 (Ref:252553)   #7
Schummy
Subscriber
Veteran

In a very subjective way I'd say Macs are probably in the way down, Ferrari probably is in the top (and sooner or later, maybe this season, will go down), Williams are reaching top and Benetton/Renault are starting to climb the hill.

Anyway, this is not an exactly periodic cycle, observe as Williams could hold in top after 1994 no-so-good-car with the help of the amazing Renault engine and Newey designs. Also, we don't know how low is going to be its "low", and how high is going to be a "high"

All that makes an interesting exercise of speculation and predictions so fond to us, F1 fans

I'll try to get higher frequency data (intra-season) to throw some arguments in this question. Please, stay tuned

nicholaswhite: You are right, Alain could have 6 WDC.
1984: he lost to Lauda by 0.5 points, but he got one more win, then had gained 1 point. Moreover, in that strange Monaco race, Ickx (race director) stopped the race with Prost leading and therefore he got 9/2 = 4.5 points. If race had completed some laps more, and even if Prost had been overtaken by Senna he had got a full 6 points. Thus actually Monace curtailed race was a Prost disadvantage.
1985: Prost won
1986: Prost won (actually, he was lucky IMO)
1987: No way
1988: Senna won for 3 points and got 1 GP win above Prost, BUT... only the best 11 scores counted, and Prost was discarded of 18 points(!) and Senna just 4 points. Thus, with current system Prost had won for 10 points.
1989: Prost won (+16 points, +19 with current system), Senna had very bad finishing record.
1990: Senna won (very good Ferrari year for Prost)
1991: (Begin of current scoring system)No way, dismail Ferrari season. He was even fired! LOL
1992: retired
1993: Prost won with an overhelming best car

Six WDCs...

Prost was an amazing RACE driver. He was very fast, but not so much as Senna in qualify. But we must not forget Prost actually "won" Senna in the two seasons together, and Prost had a clear advantage in Fastest Laps in Sunday lap comparing with the great brazilian.

Greetings to everybody
Old 5 Apr 2002, 21:01 (Ref:252973)   #8
Don K
Veteran

Don K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I like these graphs.

Much better than your Qualifying graphs. Maybe you could have another look at those? I'm sure you could do a very good job on them too.