Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 27 Apr 2002, 12:42 (Ref:272032)   #1
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Williams/McLaren/Michelin

peter windsor said in interesting thing on sky digital before the qualifying session regarding the williams, mclaren and michelin situation in comparison to the ferrari/bridgestone relationship!

gerrari and bridgestone are to all intents and purpose "partners" whereas williams and mclarens relationship with michelin is as "supplier!" both teams wanted a different tyre, which michelin supplied, but that only gave each team 1 option that they had to go with (due to the 2 construction rule for the tyre suppliers) whereas bridgestone created both constructions purposefully for ferrari, and therefore 2 options for the team!

so, this has got me thinking, how long before williams (as they are the team most likely to challange ferrari for the constructors cup) ask michelin to concentrate on them over mclaren? when theres o chance of mclaren winning the wcc (i.e......now) or later in the season when it will also be too late for williams to challenge properly!
Old 27 Apr 2002, 12:47 (Ref:272036)   #2
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i think the Answer is for Pirelli to come back into F1 and Mclaren can take up a partnership with them , and then Each top team can have their own assosiation with their own respective tyre manufacturers . Otherwise , Ferrari will get stronger and stronger and leave Mclaren and Williams behind .

not that is will happen, but that is what i think .

Last edited by Sato san; 27 Apr 2002 at 12:49.
Old 27 Apr 2002, 12:50 (Ref:272044)   #3
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Supposedly McLaren were holding out for Goodyear to come back in 2003, but needed a contract for 2002 and neither Michelin nor Bridgestone were willing to sign them on for only one year. This effectively killed MaCaroon's chances for a tire partnership.
Old 27 Apr 2002, 12:58 (Ref:272060)   #4
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
i wonder how much it would cost mclaren to "break" their contract? they could always use the arguement......if you let us go then you can cincentrate on williams alone! (don't think that 1 would work though somehow!)
Old 27 Apr 2002, 12:59 (Ref:272061)   #5
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Goodyear did want to come back, but they have no top team to do so. Would love to see Pirelli back as they are a brilliant tyre manufacturer, but haven't been in the top game in a number of years now.
Old 27 Apr 2002, 13:08 (Ref:272083)   #6
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I do not agree with tire partnerships. If each team could have a tire company that backs them maybe, but now it is unfair. The possible outcome of these agreements can seal the fate of F1. In previous years, there was always hope that the top teams would eventually falter. Now if there are three tire companies and three constructors associated with them there may as well be two different leagues. The tires are by far the most important part of the car. Bridgestone's reply to GF's comments were total BS. They claim that it is better for everyone. How is that even remotely possible? It is only good for Ferrari and Bridgestone. I fail to see how a tie with Williams and Michelin will help Minardi. It will help them to stay at the back of the pack. They seem to be under the assumption that there is only one successful way to build a car. What they fail to see is that different designers have different ideas. This is now a third entity entering the scene. I said it before, I bet when Toyota gets better they will be able to buy their way to a championship. When avenues like these are opened it makes it only a matter of time.