Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 3 Oct 2002, 00:35 (Ref:394520)   #1
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
2003 - Williams or McLaren?

Although I believe 2003 will be another Ferrari white wash, which team is more likely to take the fight to them? Or put another way, who will come second?

I'm sure we all have hopes (even us fans of the red cars) that Williams or McLaren can build a weapon, but if they don't, will Williams be best of the rest, or will the silver arrows re-take what was theirs.

IMO, McLaren will have the faster, but less reliable car next year. So it will still be close.

Thoughts?
Old 3 Oct 2002, 00:46 (Ref:394526)   #2
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
McLaren and Williams will be there at the top, that's for sure, but I think Toyota and Renault will be nipping at their heels...observe Toyota - in the first 3 races of the year, they scored 2 points. Since then none. Notice also the lack of development on the car (as Mika Salo said himself), and a steady decline in performance to a level were they were outqualified by a Minardi last week. I think they've used 2002 just to go through the motions of an F1 season, and next year they'll be doing well.

Renault also. At the start of the year, many people thought they'd beat McLaren to 3rd place. And remember Trulli was in with a shot at pole at Monte Carlo. But once again, it's been a slow season thereafter (although Monza was impressive).

I think both these teams will be a lot closer to McLaren and Williams then people think. Of McLaren and Williams, the McLaren will be faster by far on slow circuits, but unreliable, the Williams slower on slow circuits but faster on quick circuits, but also more reliable.

I think the constructors cup will be like this - Ferrari, Williams, Renault, McLaren (too many retirements), Toyota. Of course, going on past form, I'll be proved totally wrong.
Old 3 Oct 2002, 06:00 (Ref:394647)   #3
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah Wrex I'd also pick McLaren. Macs are fragile agreed, altough Williams strongest area is not the reliability either. Besides, I have the feeling that Ralf and JPM will blow up a couple of races trying to beat each other instead of the opisition and that will help too.
Old 3 Oct 2002, 06:26 (Ref:394658)   #4
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I reckon McLaren will take the fight to Ferrari more than Williams, particularly if Mercedes get their engine sorted. The car this year has been a little pearler, but the engine has been the let down.
Old 3 Oct 2002, 12:47 (Ref:394882)   #5
twig
Veteran

twig should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i agree with you f1manoz, the MP4-17 seemed like a very very nice car, although some of that downforce had to be lost in order to maintain a fast speed.
I think the McLaren chassis seemed much better on conserving tires, unlike the FW24, which was much better over one lap.
The Mclaren even seemed like more of a sunday afternoon car, with the ability to keep rubber in the under developed and new (to the team) michelins, plus with the larger fuel tank capabilities.

Unfortunately, the engine was not so good, it was not powerful, and non even reliable to compensate.

I am quite happy and even excited about the news from the ITV commentators that Illmor....or Mercedes are reeling in more engineers to make their engines better, plus, with Wurz's times around Barcelona, makes me nice and happy....but.....with McLarens luck, yeah right if it would convert on the race weekend.
It has actually been quite a learning year for McLaren, DC with new engineers, and lack of Mika,
Kimi with new team and car,
Dennis with navigational problems in Communications "motorhome",
McLaren with new tyres.

I hope the boys from Woking sort themselves out for next year.

Tom.

Last edited by twig; 3 Oct 2002 at 12:47.
Old 3 Oct 2002, 12:56 (Ref:394890)   #6
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
with McLaren talking about starting the year with an upgraded MP4/17 until a radical all-new car and engine is deemed reliable enough to race, then you have to rate their chances (well, it worked for Ferrari..) if they manage to get enough of an improvement out of the 4/17 to be competitive in the early races (and assuming that they don't pull off that classic old trick of designing a radical new car that doesn't actually work.....)
Old 3 Oct 2002, 13:21 (Ref:394911)   #7
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Hmmm, not sure I agree on Toyota, DNQ. They tested all last season in order (I thought) to be competitive this season. Now to say that this was actually another pantomine season for them is a bit of a stretch.

Toyota have not impressed me historically in open wheel. Their CART effort with Gurney was fairly dismal (but spectacular - lots of smoke and flames and engine parts in the air) and after dumping the Gross National Product of Belize on this effort only to have Minardi out-qualify them! Something is wrong somewhere. Jaguar has figured out a way to improve so you would think Toyota could as well.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 3 Oct 2002, 13:50 (Ref:394925)   #8
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
McLaren have certainly gone for a bold approach by delaying the 2003 car. The suggestion is that the car will be fast, but they may be behind Renault at the first 3 races, and perhaps the reliability will struggle, though that said I'd be surprised if next year's Mercedes engines are as unreliable as this year. It could be a reversal of 2001, with McLaren taking the fight to Ferrari more often, but a cautious and conservative Williams effort actually taking second place in the table.
Old 3 Oct 2002, 13:55 (Ref:394930)   #9
Ian Smith
Racer

England
Tamworth Staff's
Ian Smith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think next seasons Dark Horses could be BAR with an exclusive Honda engine, It might just supprise a few people.
Traditionally Honda dont like not being at the head of the class!!!!
Old 3 Oct 2002, 16:43 (Ref:395024)   #10
Total-F1
Veteran

Total-F1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Following DNQ's Renault and Toyota logic, I'd have to plump for Jaguar as WDCs!
Old 3 Oct 2002, 17:02 (Ref:395036)   #11
billyblister
Racer

billyblister should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the Macs myself
Toyota won't be a major force next year they had a year and a half to prepare for this year and really impressed but then faded as was was mentioned.
BAR can't see them getting their act together too soon although they can't get much worse!!
Old 3 Oct 2002, 19:12 (Ref:395122)   #12
freud
Veteran

freud has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I dont think that Mclaren is going for the title next year.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/moto...ne/2296865.stm

Williams will be stronger and if the right package is given to JPM, hopefully 2003 will be a better show than 2002.
Old 3 Oct 2002, 23:03 (Ref:395297)   #13
Total-F1
Veteran

Total-F1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I like that - Newey "radical is a greatly abused word" - 2 lines beneath - "Williams promise 'radical' new car" Hehe!

He's right though - like they always say - take car of the wins, and the championships take care of themselves.

What I think Adrian was hinting at was that the drivers will be picking up wins there and there, but the two of them won't be consistent enough to win either a title - look what happened at Williams this season.
Old 4 Oct 2002, 06:38 (Ref:395472)   #14
RaceCarFanatic
Rookie

RaceCarFanatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bmw has fastest engine on the grid but their chasis eats the tires and has a crappy aero package. McLaren had that setback when the FIA declared berylilium illegal in engines. McLaren and Ilmor are up to something. They won't win the WDC but they won't be far behind.