Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 12 Dec 2002, 11:14 (Ref:448190)   #1
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
JPM's view on qualifying

from www.f1-live.com

“It's going to be a challenge to know how far you can push. You might lose a lot of time by only one single mistake. And then you drop down three or four places in the grid. It's going to be very interesting what people will do. It's going to make the grid a bit more interesting. You will probably see a Ferrari or one of our cars starting from position ten. It will happen. We have 16 races next year, and it's unlikely that you have 16 perfect laps in qualifying.”

I've never been a fan of the one off "super-qualifying" i believe that every driver should be given the same oppertunity at the same time, but if JPM's views are correct then hopefully it will improve the "spectacle" next year. At Maylasia this season. seeing JPM and TGF battle their way through the grid made for one of the better races of the year. How good would it be if both JPM and TGF were to qualify alongside each
other in 10th and 11th.
Old 12 Dec 2002, 11:48 (Ref:448209)   #2
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You'll have all seen from my other thread I am disgruntled with F1, but I am also sure that 2002 was the lowest it will go. I am confident 2003 it will bounce back a bit, and hopefully with new tech regs in 2005, it'll be back.

Superpole breaks from tradition, but adds to the spectacle, and that is what we need. I look forward to seeing it quite a lot to be honest.

It'll be nice to see Montoya, JV, Raikkonen, Trulli, Pizzonia, Fisichella, da Matta and Schumacher on the edge in qualifying, knowing it's all down to one lap.

Shame Massa won't be around. He can make a car look SO spectacular, he's got such an exciting style. He makes the cars look fantastic.

Sato, Massa, maybe they didn't do too well in 2002, but they are the sorta blokes we need.
Old 12 Dec 2002, 11:49 (Ref:448211)   #3
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
I hope we are not pitting the BAR against the Ferrari , now that will hardly be a contest.
Old 12 Dec 2002, 11:52 (Ref:448214)   #4
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Monaco is going to be interesting - big, big challenge for the rookies...

In general, I don't expect Friday's session (at any race) to be very spectacular - I'm sure that they will want to play it safe and learn as much about the car and the set-up as they can, in readiness for Saturday's shoot-out. Come Saturday, however, we'll see who are the risk-takers and who are the steady-eddies. Montoya will take risks, as I'm sure Michael will.

Last edited by Glen; 12 Dec 2002 at 11:53.
Old 12 Dec 2002, 12:57 (Ref:448258)   #5
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Probably the grids will be mroe settled towards the end of the first year, as everyone learns what the typical safe limits are. There should be some fun along the way though, and at least we'll see all the fast lap action, and I guess it'll give the sponsors equal qualifying exposure too.
Old 12 Dec 2002, 13:04 (Ref:448269)   #6
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ferrari, Maclaren and Williams have the lesat to fear in this format. If MS qualifies last in Australia, by have distance I expect Ferrari to be telling RB to move over so MS can take the lead... oh that is not legal... RB will have a refuelling problem.
The midfield teams could gain a lot though on tracks like Monaco and Hungary. Since passing will be at a premium if Button pulls of a miracle lap he could end up on the podium.
I like superpole. It brings a bit more driver in a car dominated sport.
Old 12 Dec 2002, 13:19 (Ref:448286)   #7
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by neilap
If MS qualifies last in Australia, by have distance I expect Ferrari to be telling RB to move over so MS can take the lead...
Would they tell the other 18 drivers to move over or you are suggesting that by half race only the 2 Ferrari's will be still motoring? :confused:
Old 12 Dec 2002, 13:25 (Ref:448297)   #8
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Montoya always seemed to need plenty of track time to get up to speed, look how far down he was in the early sessions.

With William's electing not to run in the new Friday testing, does JPM have most to lose with the new qualifying regulations?
Old 12 Dec 2002, 13:41 (Ref:448316)   #9
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Red - it is in Michael's contract that every other car on the track must move over for him!
I like the new qualifying system. It may make action on the grid a bit "contrived" as superior cars may not qualify as high because of a mistake, but it should reduce the number of races where Michael or whoever moves away form the pack at a second or so per lap.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 12 Dec 2002, 15:19 (Ref:448399)   #10
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Red
Would they tell the other 18 drivers to move over or you are suggesting that by half race only the 2 Ferrari's will be still motoring? :confused:
I just think the Ferrari is that fast!
Old 12 Dec 2002, 15:29 (Ref:448407)   #11
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah John, that's what I was afraid of....

Quote:
Originally posted by neilap
I just think the Ferrari is that fast!
:confused: so what difference does it make if Schumacher qualifies last or second? Anyway, if the Ferrari are THAT fast, I believe that they do have enough little gray cells to play safe in qualls, don't risk stupid mistakes when looking after unnecesary poles and start the from second row. Not last.
Old 12 Dec 2002, 15:47 (Ref:448415)   #12
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i wasnt a fan of one lap wonders in qualifing , but now im really looking forward to it ......i think Michael and Jpm are gonna have more poles than anyone else .
Old 12 Dec 2002, 15:57 (Ref:448420)   #13
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
JPM's absolutely right - he obviously knows what to expect and isn't under any illusions about driving a single perfect lap on demand.

It will undoubtedly add to the spectacle, both in terms of the excitement factor during qualifying itself, and the potential for more overtaking in the early laps as drivers shuffle around from an unbalanced grid.

So that's all good, but I can't help wondering whether it's not fully in tune with the spirit of F1...
Old 12 Dec 2002, 15:59 (Ref:448421)   #14
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Expect plenty of whinging from the guys in the faster cars about the slower ones not letting them through.
Old 12 Dec 2002, 16:08 (Ref:448427)   #15
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
I thought it was one car at a time?
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 12 Dec 2002, 16:20 (Ref:448442)   #16
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think he means in the first few laps of the race...

...when the guys in the faster cars will just have to learn to overtake and stop whinging!
Old 12 Dec 2002, 16:28 (Ref:448447)   #17
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
Garcon, you are probably right - after the last couple of seasons I thought the race was one car at a time as well!

Cheers!
Old 12 Dec 2002, 16:42 (Ref:448456)   #18
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well at least, if David Coulthard qualifies in the last positions, he doesn't have to worry about Bernoldi
Old 12 Dec 2002, 18:03 (Ref:448506)   #19
norman-normal
Veteran

norman-normal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There well likely be more collisions.
Old 12 Dec 2002, 18:16 (Ref:448512)   #20
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Fstolfart, welcome to ten-tenths. Enjoy yourself!

I think you could be right. At least it will put a premium on racecraft. Or a premium on whinging
Old 12 Dec 2002, 18:43 (Ref:448521)   #21
norman-normal
Veteran

norman-normal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thank you Adam. I have observed three drivers, in my life time who have an unbeliveable ability to stay out of trouble and yet,are extreemly fast: Fangio, Schumacher and DaMata. In 2003, we will see.
Old 12 Dec 2002, 20:49 (Ref:448585)   #22
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This superpole thing will be a lot of fun next year. As JPM says we're going to see many 'odd' grids during the course of the year.
Old 12 Dec 2002, 20:50 (Ref:448587)   #23
Yoong Montoya
Veteran

Yoong Montoya should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With this new system, I feel that MS might crack under the pressure to get a good grid position. Remember Austria qualifying? I know that was at the end, but you know what I mean. Still, if this happens and he has to start way down the grid, he'll do a Hockenheim 2000 and charge from the back of the grid to win. Has anyone ever won from dead last on the grid by the way? I think John Watson did at Long Beach 1983 and Ayrton Senna at Japan 1988, but I'm not so sure about those.:confused:
Old 12 Dec 2002, 20:51 (Ref:448588)   #24
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yep, true about Watson in '83, but Senna didn't start last of course in '88, we all know why he ended up there though!
Old 12 Dec 2002, 21:11 (Ref:448600)   #25
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Yoong Montoya
With this new system, I feel that MS might crack under the pressure to get a good grid position. Remember Austria qualifying?
It's possible, after all M.Schu did make more mistakes than usual when the pressure was on him, however, i believe that the majority of the time, the fight for pole will be between Michael and Juan Pablo.

Quote:
Originally posted by Super Tourer
Montoya always seemed to need plenty of track time to get up to speed, look how far down he was in the early sessions.

But was this a case of doing a banker lap knowing that he had enough runs not to worry about going too fast too soon, we all know that when it comes too it (i.e. the end of the session, his last hope so to speak) then he can do the job.All the teams will do (those not taking part in the extra friday test session) is concentrate more on the qualifying set up as opposed to the race set up.