Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 6 Jan 2003, 07:21 (Ref:465075)   #1
¡As-de-mim!
Veteran

¡As-de-mim! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
CART will announce plans for a new race in the U.K.

CART will announce plans for a new race in the U.K., it’s chief executive officer said, part of a program to boost the open-wheel series in its rivalry with the Indy Racing League. CEO Christopher Pook declined to discuss details of the announcement, scheduled for Thursday. ESPN’s Web site and Autoweek.com have reported CART was looking to have a race at the Brands Hatch track, which formerly was used by the European-based Formula One racing series.

By The Associated Press
Monday, January 6, 2003

Trolls

Last edited by ¡As-de-mim!; 6 Jan 2003 at 07:29.
Old 6 Jan 2003, 07:35 (Ref:465080)   #2
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hopefully Brands Hatch. Will there be a second European race?
Old 6 Jan 2003, 07:37 (Ref:465082)   #3
¡As-de-mim!
Veteran

The way things are going, I wouldn't be surprised and CART is determined to not have open dates during May.

Last edited by ¡As-de-mim!; 6 Jan 2003 at 07:42.
Old 6 Jan 2003, 09:42 (Ref:465140)   #4
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
iAs-de-mim (if I've spelled it right), I don't find anything at espn.com or autoweek.com on what you've said. Links?
Old 6 Jan 2003, 10:03 (Ref:465154)   #5
¡As-de-mim!
Veteran

It is from the AP wire news. I will try to find the paper again.
Old 6 Jan 2003, 10:36 (Ref:465185)   #6
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hope it's Brands Hatch. Estoril and Spa are no-go it seems, but apparently Brands Hatch, or a Spanish circuit are up to the task.
Old 6 Jan 2003, 10:39 (Ref:465191)   #7
¡As-de-mim!
Veteran

Here is the AP wire sports shorts snippet.
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/trib.../s_111272.html
Old 6 Jan 2003, 10:58 (Ref:465201)   #8
¡As-de-mim!
Veteran

Update

CART will announce plans for a new race in the United Kingdom, its chief executive officer said, part of a program to boost the open-wheel series in its rivalry with the Indy Racing League.

CEO Christopher Pook declined to discuss details of the announcement, scheduled for Thursday.

Pook did say the new race is a result of talks CART has had with Bernie Ecclestone, co-owner of media rights for Formula One. "These things are not happening over there without his blessing," Pook said.

The race would replace the one staged by CART for the past two years at Rockingham Motor Speedway in Corvy, England.

CART and Formula One have discussed ways of linking their series, including having young Formula One drivers come to CART to develop their skills.

Trolls
Old 6 Jan 2003, 16:13 (Ref:465404)   #9
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Re: Update

Quote:
Originally posted by ¡As-de-mim!

CART and Formula One have discussed ways of linking their series, including having young Formula One drivers come to CART to develop their skills.

Trolls [/B]
Not sure we need that, its been happening for years without any official backing. The last thing CART needs is to be merely Bernie's feeder series. If it becomes that, the IRL will win the US battle.
Old 6 Jan 2003, 16:58 (Ref:465447)   #10
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Agreed, Boots...I have never embraced the concept, since Pook said it at Montreal, that CART should be lowered to the status of feeder series.
Old 6 Jan 2003, 17:23 (Ref:465465)   #11
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In fact, if things continue in F1 as they are now, perhaps F1 will become CWS' feeder series! "Tired of schlepping around the back of the field and paying $billions to see the same faces on the podium every weekend and yours not one of them? Want a chance to win a trophy for something besides Mr. Congeniality? Come to CWS and be a Star!"

Why not?
Old 6 Jan 2003, 17:35 (Ref:465486)   #12
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
I'm struggling to see why Brands want a round when the Rock cancelled their's because they thought there wasn't enough time to publicise it. :confused:
Old 6 Jan 2003, 21:43 (Ref:465754)   #13
¡As-de-mim!
Veteran

Could it be that a road course would naturally draw more than an oval?
Old 6 Jan 2003, 21:56 (Ref:465758)   #14
The Snout
Veteran

Australia
The Snout should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The whole Cart being a feeder series is a bit away from where it's headed I think.

I believe the picture for Cart is to be a bit like the WSC in the late 80s early 90s. Young guys like Schumacher, Wendlinger, Frentzen etc gained experience in it, however the WSC was a series in it's own right.

And I think Cart will go that way, sure there will be guys, just as before who come across, star for a few years then get a top line F1 slot, and then there will be the regulars who are Cart long termers.

Anyway, been watching this debate for months about becoming a feeder series and thought that perhaps a reminder of the old WSC may have been a good indicator of what sort of feeding Pook and Bernie have in mind.
Old 6 Jan 2003, 23:18 (Ref:465825)   #15
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by DNQ
Estoril and Spa are no-go it seems, but apparently Brands Hatch, or a Spanish circuit are up to the task.
Any idea why or where you got this from? (I REALLY hope you're wrong )
Old 7 Jan 2003, 00:09 (Ref:465861)   #16
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Snrub - I read that at Champweb.net, but don't take it as gospel, there is a lot of speculation at that website.
Old 7 Jan 2003, 10:04 (Ref:466117)   #17
indycool
Veteran

If CART runs one over there, they hafta run two. It had to accommodate Rockingham by picking up significant travel costs that weren't shared by Lausitz in '02.
Old 7 Jan 2003, 15:19 (Ref:466376)   #18
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
The rumour I heard was Cart were coming to Brands Hatch in May of this year, possibly with a round at Spa before or after the Brands round. Rumour too has it that Bernie now owns Brands Hatch as part of an Octagon pull out of UK Motor Sport. Nothing confirmed yet but I heard before Christmas that Brands Hatch were only waiting for Cart to make the decision to come.

Brands Hatch is a better venie than Rockingham in as much as it is much closer to mainland Europe and so should be able to attract more spectators from France, Holland, Belgium and Germany. Brands is a mere 50 minute drive from the Channel Tunnel and Dover. In fact the M20 motorway goes right behind Paddock Hill Bend and you can see the track from the motorway.
Old 9 Jan 2003, 03:14 (Ref:468129)   #19
¡As-de-mim!
Veteran

It is rumored that EuroSpeedway is to be announced, also.
Old 9 Jan 2003, 21:19 (Ref:468853)   #20
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think i'll order some tickets for the Brands race if the series don't stop by at Spa.
Old 9 Jan 2003, 21:54 (Ref:468875)   #21
Evilsenna
Racer

Evilsenna should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its now official, CART will go to Brands Hatch on the weekend of May 3rd.

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns07576.html

However, it will be on the indy circuit.