Speed
Veteran

Panama
Panama, Rep. of Panama
Speed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
JPM better than Gilles ?

Extracted from "The man who will beat Schumacher", F1 Magazine, December 2002
[What amused me was the JPM-GV comparison]

American journalist Gordon Kirby is not generally given to such expression. But the hard-bitten journalistic doyen of the ChampCar circuit has seen enough race drivers in his three decades to know what makes a good one, and he has no doubts about Montoya.
"He is the best I have ever seen. And that includes Gilles Villeneuve and Keke Rosberg, who were the best road-racing Formula One drivers I watched in North America", he says.
"Montoya drives an oversteering car just like Gilles did, but he is more in control of it.
"

PS: Any complaint, call Mr. Gordon Kirby.
Old 14 Feb 2003, 22:22 (Ref:507021)   #2
Speed
Veteran

Panama
Panama, Rep. of Panama
Speed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Reading that title sounds like sacrilege..., sorry...
Old 14 Feb 2003, 22:23 (Ref:507022)   #3
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
One mans opinion, for the record, Bobby Rahal also testifies that JPM is the best he's ever seen (and that includes Senna), but, again, something that will proberbly be turned into a 100 post arguement, but ultimatly, something that we'll never know.

Last edited by Mr V; 14 Feb 2003 at 22:23.
Old 14 Feb 2003, 22:33 (Ref:507033)   #4
NiceGuyEddie
Veteran

NiceGuyEddie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hm...this months F1 Magazine figures Kimi is going to be the one that takes over Michaels throne. They consider Kimi's future championships a given. In an article about CARTdrivers switching to F1, featured in the same issue, of course JPM is judged. The journalist reckons the jury is still out on JPM.
Old 14 Feb 2003, 22:38 (Ref:507043)   #5
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Hahahaha.. the word of CART commentators... LOL
Old 14 Feb 2003, 22:42 (Ref:507049)   #6
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I gotta agree, sacrelige... Juan's extremely good, but he's not to the Senna/Gilles platuea yet.
Old 14 Feb 2003, 22:44 (Ref:507055)   #7
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing

Wait till Wrex reads this I'd love to see the look on his face

Last edited by Valve Bounce; 14 Feb 2003 at 22:45.
Old 14 Feb 2003, 22:53 (Ref:507071)   #8
senna12
Veteran

senna12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As much as I like JPM, I would not yet rate him at Gilles' level.
Old 14 Feb 2003, 22:57 (Ref:507077)   #9
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I am a JPM fan, but even I wouldn't say that JPM is better than Gilles.

I wouldn't want to even compare them with car technology being 20 years apart.
Old 14 Feb 2003, 23:00 (Ref:507082)   #10
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That task should become a little easier post Silverstone mind...
Old 14 Feb 2003, 23:04 (Ref:507094)   #11
z2252314
Racer

z2252314 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
JPM is excellent at handling an oversteering car???? What nonsense. The truth is the exact opposite. Take last year as an example. When the Williams was handling well on a circuit, JPM crushed Ralf. However, as soon as a little understeer or oversteer entered into the equation, Ralf had the edge.
If great car control means getting out of shape and recovering, then yes, JPM has good car control.
If great car control means being able to post quick times in a difficult handling car, then JPM's car control isnt so great.

By the way, would Gilles Villeneuve, like JPM, call into the pits wanting to retire because of an ill handling car??

Quote:
Ditto!
Old 14 Feb 2003, 23:07 (Ref:507099)   #12
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gilles is better.
But one thing is sure... you could appreciate Montoya's sliding and control better in a Reynard than in a Williams... Which says a lot about the current F1 cars...
Old 14 Feb 2003, 23:07 (Ref:507100)   #13
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
That's why I wouldn't want to compare. Oversteer with big sticky tyres? Or the silly grooved tyres half the size and far less contact patch?

I know which one I'd prefer.
Old 14 Feb 2003, 23:08 (Ref:507102)   #14
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And don't bash CART.
Old 14 Feb 2003, 23:11 (Ref:507109)   #15
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Who's bashing CART?
Old 14 Feb 2003, 23:20 (Ref:507125)   #16
NiceGuyEddie
Veteran

NiceGuyEddie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Best news i've heard in ages is that Eurosport will be covering all 19 Champcars events again. So no CART-bashing here!
Old 14 Feb 2003, 23:25 (Ref:507130)   #17
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Indeed NiceGuyEddie, that's great news!!
Old 14 Feb 2003, 23:27 (Ref:507132)   #18
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Hell no!
At least i'll have something to enjoy on sunday...
Old 14 Feb 2003, 23:47 (Ref:507156)   #19
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Inigo Montoya
What a load of garbage Inigo. The man is a respected journalist, and his OPINION is worth more than yours.

However, I do disagree with his opinion as well. But, unlike many here, he saw what JPM was like in CART and I can fully understand why he came to that conclusion.
Old 15 Feb 2003, 00:02 (Ref:507165)   #20
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by z2252314
JPM is excellent at handling an oversteering car???? What nonsense. The truth is the exact opposite. Take last year as an example. When the Williams was handling well on a circuit, JPM crushed Ralf. However, as soon as a little understeer or oversteer entered into the equation, Ralf had the edge.
If great car control means getting out of shape and recovering, then yes, JPM has good car control.
If great car control means being able to post quick times in a difficult handling car, then JPM's car control isnt so great.

You were dropped on the head as a child, weren't you?

Did you even watch JPM in Champcars? The guy drove around _ovals_ oversteering the whole way!!!
Old 15 Feb 2003, 01:02 (Ref:507206)   #21
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by z2252314
If JPM can't handle an oversteering car, how come he managed to control oversteer in the (first??) Lesmo when he set the fastest ever lap seen in GP history?

If JPM can't handle an oversteering car, try and get a copy of his hot lap during qualifying of Nurburgring 2001, 160MPH on opposite lock through Shell Kurve.

With regards to the comparison, i believe it to be totally unfair, not because Gilles was necessarily the best driver that F1 has ever seen, but because he was proberbly it's favourite and any comparison will always end up in his favour, whatever the arguement.
Old 15 Feb 2003, 01:41 (Ref:507232)   #22
fousto
Rookie

fousto should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Everyone wants to compare current driver to the past. Its a novel idea but can't really happen because time have changed so much. JPM has to really off Ralf to gain the respect of a comparison to anyone. Every driver now in F1 can be compared to their teammate before being compared to someone else. This is of course with the exception of Schumacher who demands that he is compared to no one. I have seen Gilles in person and I have seen JPM in person. Gilles was so special that you would have to get rid of all the driver aids to even begin to compare. I have seen no one oppsite lock flat on the gas and fast since GV.

Well his kid does it occasionaly
Old 15 Feb 2003, 02:15 (Ref:507255)   #23
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
JPM is extrodinarly talented at driving cars beyond the limit, sliding, hanging it out. If you disagree you don't know what you're talking about, peroid. (not intended to offend anyone, but it's bloody obvious. ) I suppose the F1 TV coverage is poor enough that it *might* be possible for someone to miss it. Normally when one drives the way he does they will actually loose speed. He's somehow able to drive out of control and yet faster than one normally would.

As Lee said sliding on ovals is highly unusual. (oval setups are very loose, especially qualifying) Going fast and doing it is something completely different. He would also drop wheels on to apron. Upon seeing this, teams told their drivers that they were to copy JPM to remain competitive. The people signing the cheques were for once ignored. I hate using CART examples because of the "Eurosnobs" that will surely be reading it and thinking to themselves that CART is a lower form of racing than two kids on tricycles. (nevermind that 2 of the top 3 drivers came from it and still respect it)

Last edited by Snrub; 15 Feb 2003 at 02:16.
Old 15 Feb 2003, 02:18 (Ref:507259)   #24
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
The Greatest.
Attached Thumbnails
gv slide.jpg  
Old 15 Feb 2003, 02:24 (Ref:507261)   #25
fousto
Rookie

fousto should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
thank you Armco

Tags
jpm