Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 2 Jan 2004, 00:38 (Ref:825416)   #1
Yoong Montoya
Veteran

Yoong Montoya should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Who will be the next great F1 driver?

No matter what you think of Michael Schumacher, he is still the best driver on the grid and is still the benchmark for the group of new young drivers entering the sport. But who do you think will be the next great F1 driver? Do you think it will be someone from the current grid or do you think it'll be someone who isn't in F1 yet? Personally I think the best of the new young drivers is Fernando Alonso. I feel that he has that spark that others like Raikkonen don't have. Will he be as good as Schumacher? I don't know, but I'm looking forward to find out. Bring on 2004 and the future of F1!
Old 2 Jan 2004, 05:07 (Ref:825500)   #2
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Though we have a pretty good bunch of potentials out there, I believe both Kimi and Alonso are slightly above the others.

No doubt, JPM would most probably clinch a world champion or 2, he's definitely good/fast enough with the talents to match, but he doesnt have as much time as the above 2 to really establish himself as a Great, and he has to work pretty fast to smooth out the small bits of edges left. That said, last year, though he din't achieve much in results, i'm impressed with the maturing he showed regarding F1 racecraft.

Webber/Buttons would be outside bets.

Still, a huge part will be played by the car he's given. I doubt MS would be as great if he had spent 10 years in a Minardi, but of course, it can always be argued that you earn yourself a good seat, it's not a given. Kimi looked to have a better car for the next few seasons, and is fully capable of exploiting that chance, and Alonso's would be more risky depending on the job Renault does and whether he makes a good choice of team when his contract with Renault ends.
Old 2 Jan 2004, 13:07 (Ref:825680)   #3
The Zuschauer
Racer

The Zuschauer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
None of the current grid have REALLY shown an ability to beat Michael. Alonso's domination at Hungary 2003 was impressive, but tainted by the Michelin sidewall saga.

Although I'd like to believe it, I can't convince myself that there is someone within the current field that would beat Michael given exactly the same equipment.

With some new blood entering in 2004, I'd like to see Klien do well. The first few races will define his future - if he can outqualify Webber, or beat Webber in the race, then he's definitely future WC material (and I rate Webber very highly). I guess I'm on a bit of a Klien supporting streak at the moment
Old 2 Jan 2004, 17:17 (Ref:825810)   #4
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What about with exactly the same equipment and a Must Compete (instead of Do Not Compete) contract?

I don't think any of the current batch were hired for their talent except possibly Kimi, and I am sure that nobody in the current field will be permitted to win as long as TGF continues to drive.

My bet for the TGF-less future would depend on if someone could buy the contract of Mike Rockenfeller from Porsche. He has the ability, focus and aggression of TGF without the lack of sportsmanship and fear of competition in his own garage that blots That Man's copybook.
Old 2 Jan 2004, 17:35 (Ref:825815)   #5
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So Liz, you mean me, and millions of other F1 fans have been snookered all these years into believing that somebody other than Michael could actually win, and there not allowed to?!

And you mean none of the other drivers have any talent either?!

And the only saving grace for the future of F1, is in some no name from some Porsche club?!

Wow, wait until the guys here this! This could ruin F1!

Oh brother... :

Danica Patrick
Old 2 Jan 2004, 17:50 (Ref:825827)   #6
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Who will be the next great F1 driver?

Well,... ME!!
Old 2 Jan 2004, 18:04 (Ref:825835)   #7
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by The Zuschauer
None of the current grid have REALLY shown an ability to beat Michael. Alonso's domination at Hungary 2003 was impressive, but tainted by the Michelin sidewall saga.

Although I'd like to believe it, I can't convince myself that there is someone within the current field that would beat Michael given exactly the same equipment.

A couple of drivers, Kimi and JPM to be exact would have beaten Michael if not for better reliability in 2003.

But you carry on in your own little world
Old 2 Jan 2004, 19:15 (Ref:825873)   #8
Yoong Montoya
Veteran

Yoong Montoya should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr V
A couple of drivers, Kimi and JPM to be exact would have beaten Michael if not for better reliability in 2003.

Don't you mean if not for WORSE reliability (Montoya 2 Mechanical DNFs, Raikkonen 1, Michael 0) Mr V
Old 2 Jan 2004, 19:26 (Ref:825889)   #9
mansellmania
Racer

mansellmania should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Yoong Montoya
Don't you mean if not for WORSE reliability (Montoya 2 Mechanical DNFs, Raikkonen 1, Michael 0) Mr V

Old 2 Jan 2004, 22:57 (Ref:826038)   #10
Mr V
Veteran

England
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
I believe i said would have beaten Michael if not for better reliability.

How could they have beaten him with even worse reliability if the reliability they already had was worse than Michaels?

I don't understand your post :confused:
Old 3 Jan 2004, 00:21 (Ref:826091)   #11
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Liz
My bet for the TGF-less future would depend on if someone could buy the contract of Mike Rockenfeller from Porsche. He has the ability, focus and aggression of TGF without the lack of sportsmanship and fear of competition in his own garage that blots That Man's copybook.
I have to agree with Liz, now I saw Rockenfeller in a Porsche Super Cup race at Croft last year, and I have to say I was very very impressed. I think this kid has a big furture ahead of him being it sportscars (please) or F1.
Old 3 Jan 2004, 00:31 (Ref:826096)   #12
The Zuschauer
Racer

The Zuschauer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr V

Yes, but it would also have been a result of bad luck for Michael.

Don't get me wrong, I think Kimi and JPM are both fantastic drivers, but I don't think that they've shown themselves to be "greats". Yes, they could potentially win the WDC, but it would be in a year where Michael had unusually bad luck.

I loved the way Montoya forced his way past Michael at the Nurburgring, and I loved the way Kimi pushed Michael off at turn 1 in Australia. But it took courageous moves for them to beat MS, whereas MS can just disappear off into the distance time after time, without needing to engage in courageous moves himself.

Personally, I don't like MS, but I appreciate his driving.
Old 3 Jan 2004, 00:43 (Ref:826106)   #13
Mr V
Veteran

England
Quote:
Yes, they could potentially win the WDC, but it would be in a year where Michael had unusually bad luck.

Thats my point, if Kimi or JPM hadn't had bad luck (mechanical failures) would they have won it? Or the question could be, did Michael win it in 2003 because he had better luck (no failures)?

I also think Michaels a fantastic driver, and i appreciate his driving, i also think he deserved it, but equally, Kimi or JPM would have deserved it had they not had any failures and gone onto win.
Old 3 Jan 2004, 01:16 (Ref:826127)   #14
pink69
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire / Nottingham
pink69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the best young drivers in F1 at the moment are definitely Alonso and Raikkonen. Raikkonen has the coolness that Schumacher and Hakkinan posses, while Alonso has alot more flair and is more prepared to take risks. If they combined these features then they could be 'great drivers'. Of those not currently in F1, I'd say ones to watch will be Wirdheim, Olivier Pla, Markus Winklehock, Nelson Piquet jr and Sebastian Bourdais. I also think Stefan Mucke and Frank Diefenbacher would be greats if they return to single seat action soon or else they'll become saloon car racers and probably miss their F1 chance.
Old 3 Jan 2004, 02:47 (Ref:826152)   #15
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:"A couple of drivers, Kimi and JPM to be exact would have beaten Michael if not for better reliability in 2003."

I believe the tyres advantage for a huge portion of the season far outweigh the one or 2 more DNFs..
Old 3 Jan 2004, 08:39 (Ref:826279)   #16
Mr V
Veteran

England
Why can't you guys admit to yourselves that Michael was given a run for his money in 03? Why do you always have to find reasons for another driver, or drivers getting anywhere near him?

Has Michael not born the fruit of the best car for the previous 4 years? Yes he has. Did he not win it when he didn't have the best car? Has he always been a fantastic driver? Yes he has, Is he still a fantastic driver? Yes he is.

As brilliant as Michael is, that is not the only reasons for him winning his WDC's.
Old 3 Jan 2004, 08:42 (Ref:826280)   #17
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well said!...i agree that Michael is a fantastic driver too , but it does get a little funny with all the reasons that come up as to why all his competitors are not up to scratch ..

Go Juan and Kimi i say !
Old 3 Jan 2004, 08:44 (Ref:826283)   #18
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Is anyone else as impressed as me that the words 'vast', 'Montoya' and 'reliability' dont appear anywhere in V's post?

BTW V, your backpeddling. As we agreed (around Hungary I think), whoever won deserved it.

I at least agree with your last comment. Nobody has won a championship in the equivalent of the Minardi.
Old 3 Jan 2004, 13:34 (Ref:826473)   #19
Mark Webber
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Mark Webber has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
There is a good article on motorsport.com about "THE CURSE" in which poor old monty will be effected by I suggest you guys pop over for a look

NO driver since 68 has left Willams and won a title

here is a snippet (check it out ) IMHO Kimmi will lay jpm to rest

Montoya and the Williams Curse
2003-11-26 F1
Burd Phillips

Juan Pablo Montoya has one last chance to win the Formula One Drivers' World Championship. Once he leaves Williams after the upcoming 2004 season and joins McLaren, it's all over for him.
Old 3 Jan 2004, 13:39 (Ref:826480)   #20
Mr V
Veteran

England
I've readd that piece, he does have a (historical) point, he also has too much time on his hands
Old 3 Jan 2004, 13:44 (Ref:826485)   #21
mansellmania
Racer

mansellmania should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Who will be the next great F1 driver?

Quote:
No matter what you think of Michael Schumacher, he is still the best driver on the grid and is still the benchmark for the group of new young drivers entering the sport. But who do you think will be the next great F1 driver? Do you think it will be someone from the current grid or do you think it'll be someone who isn't in F1 yet? Personally I think the best of the new young drivers is Fernando Alonso. I feel that he has that spark that others like Raikkonen don't have. Will he be as good as Schumacher? I don't know, but I'm looking forward to find out. Bring on 2004 and the future of F1!
I think Webber has the best chance of becoming the next best F1 driver ever.
Extremely fast and very intelligent.
Ralf has a chance as well.
Old 3 Jan 2004, 14:31 (Ref:826521)   #22
deeks6
Veteran

deeks6 User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:

With some new blood entering in 2004, I'd like to see Klien do well. The first few races will define his future - if he can outqualify Webber, or beat Webber in the race, then he's definitely future WC material (and I rate Webber very highly). I guess I'm on a bit of a Klien supporting streak at the moment
You gotta be kidding, surely...Klien couldnt get near Ryan Briscoe in Europe and now he's gonna get near Webber???? He'll go the way of all other Webber team-mates - back to obscurity.
Old 4 Jan 2004, 00:04 (Ref:826963)   #23
Mark Webber
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Mark Webber has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Re: Re: Who will be the next great F1 driver?

Quote:
Originally posted by mansellmania
I think Webber has the best chance of becoming the next best F1 driver ever.
Extremely fast and very intelligent.
Ralf has a chance as well.
Couldn't agree more

Old 4 Jan 2004, 01:17 (Ref:827009)   #24
DaveOrama
Rookie

DaveOrama should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hear, Hear.
Old 4 Jan 2004, 03:34 (Ref:827088)   #25
f1_smiley
Rookie

f1_smiley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
perhaps some of you would agree that to be able to win the WDC (or several) doesn't ensure "greatness" in this sport... there are a lot more factors to it than just that... take for example Gilles Villenueve and Stirling Moss....

so, perhaps before discussing who's going to be the next great f1 driver, what does (in your book) it take to be called a "GREAT"? (or am i going OT on this...)

would it entail "sportsmanship" coupled with "supreme drving abilities" and "supreme technical know-how" coupled with "luck" and "showmanship"...... what gives?