enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Remembering Gilles

Spare a thought for Gilles Villeneuve.
May 8th, 1982

Hope your sideways with your foot down in heaven.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 8 May 2004, 16:55 (Ref:964403)   #2
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yep, well remembered enemy. The guy is a true legend.
Old 8 May 2004, 16:58 (Ref:964409)   #3
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I've been watching old footage lately and I haven't honestly seen a more exciting style than Gilles. RIP
Old 8 May 2004, 18:28 (Ref:964472)   #4
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
For all the criticism of the current qualifying rules, they prevent situations like that which killed Gilles.
Old 8 May 2004, 18:52 (Ref:964491)   #5
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Kicking-back
For all the criticism of the current qualifying rules, they prevent situations like that which killed Gilles.
The current qualifying system only prevents accidents between two drivers. But if the car of Villeneuve would have been safe enough, he would still be alive.

The current qualifying system stimulates drivers to take more risks, because it's their only change of doing a good lap.
Old 8 May 2004, 20:48 (Ref:964561)   #6
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I was referring to a) collisions between two drivers and b) the tyre rules of the time which saw people take insane risks on qualifying tyres

The current system doesn't encourage risk-taking, but caution because no-one wants to start at the back
Old 8 May 2004, 21:21 (Ref:964581)   #7
Yoong Montoya
Veteran

Yoong Montoya should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Remembering Gilles

Quote:
Originally posted by enemy-ace
Spare a thought for Gilles Villeneuve.
May 8th, 1982

Hope your sideways with your foot down in heaven.

Only 7 days after the date of Senna's death

Gilles Vs Senna - who would win that one? Some battle that would be
Old 8 May 2004, 21:22 (Ref:964582)   #8
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Gilles is one of those who should have been Champ. His battle with Arnoux is a classic. RIP Gilles.
Old 8 May 2004, 23:16 (Ref:964629)   #9
TedN
Racer

Canada
Georgetown, ON, Canada
TedN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTedN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Down F0rce
His battle with Arnoux is a classic. RIP Gilles.
"It was just a couple of young lions clawing at each other." - Mario Andretti

"That is my best memory of Grand Prix racing. Those few laps were just fantastic for me - outbraking each other and trying to race for the line, touching each other but without wanting to put the other car out. It was just two guys battling for second place without trying to be dirty but having to touch because of wanting to be first. It was just fantastic! I loved that moment."- Gilles Villeneuve

Ted
Old 9 May 2004, 03:25 (Ref:964739)   #10
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
A truly great racer, whom should have been a WDC.
Old 9 May 2004, 19:02 (Ref:965769)   #11
DriverT
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
DriverT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great driver. He is sadly missed by many.
Old 10 May 2004, 08:00 (Ref:966205)   #12
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Unique driver, the only one able to superbly drive the undriveable, like he showed in Spain 81.

Last edited by climb; 10 May 2004 at 08:00.
Old 10 May 2004, 17:28 (Ref:966694)   #13
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
And Monaco
Old 10 May 2004, 17:45 (Ref:966713)   #14
Kicking-back
Veteran

May's a bad month for racing deaths.

The coming weekend is 18 years since Elio de Angelis had his fatal crash.
Old 10 May 2004, 17:54 (Ref:966719)   #15
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
that was bad....Poor Elio , how testing safety standards changed after Elio was lost .
Old 10 May 2004, 23:13 (Ref:967053)   #16
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My memory of Elio also includes GIlles -- during the FISA/FOCA strike when they entertained their fellow drivers on the piano and trumpet. Both were gentlemen, who remained the natural unspoiled guys they had always been no matter what fortune brought to them.

As for modern rules preventing what killed Gilles ... the bottom line is that what killed him was being cheated by his teammate and having his team back the cheater. That situation, unfortunately, has not changed and likely it never will. But it did cause Alain Prost to continue to try to patch up his relationship with Senna, as he still believes that it was bitterness and bad feelings that led ultimately to the deaths of both Gilles and his betrayer.

We'll never see the like of either man again -- in Formula One. But in sports cars the spirit of Gilles lives on.
Old 10 May 2004, 23:23 (Ref:967063)   #17
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Great men, both of them. And great racers too.

I think this thread will be better served in the Tributes forum where we can leave the relatively unimportant aspects of today's racing behind us and just remember...

Last edited by Adam43; 10 May 2004 at 23:24.
Old 13 May 2004, 14:09 (Ref:969883)   #18
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Liz,
fortunately not all the (very numerous) angry drivers make fatal mistakes.
I'm not sure that, without Imola's problem, Gilles would have been slower or more cautious when getting close to Mass.