Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Overdrive BTCC Diecast Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 24 Sep 2004, 19:07 (Ref:1106174)   #1
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Armchair Racing Car Designers

We've got a my tracks thread, so this can't possibly be any sadder, so here it is, the 'armchair racing car design' or 'My DrawingsthatIdidduringmathsyesterdayonanexamretakesform'

I've sort of wanted to do this ever since I joined ten-tenths. When I joined I'd been really into designing Le Mans Prototypes for about 3 years. I then had to give it a rest for the last 18 months or so because of school commitments and Grand Prix Legends (I blame Ayse for that one ).
Still, a few days ago I just decided to do something again. A sort of Panoz LMP07 rehash for the 2005 Le Mans rules. Its just a couple of hand drawn 'concept' scetches really, nothing particularly set in stone or even very realistic but there you go. If this thread proves to be of any interest to anyone I'll dig out some of my older stuff

Please go ahead and add anything of your own you want here, it doesn't matter about quality/realism/intended series (if any) or even if they're road cars or whatever.

If you don't have anywhere to upload images to post I recommend photobucket.

So here goes:

not very detailed sketch shoing nothing in particular other than general (idealised) layout.

side view
Same car as above, just in a little more detail (too large to post directly)
Old 24 Sep 2004, 19:54 (Ref:1106219)   #2
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Excellent p.

It's just a shame I can't draw to save my life!
Old 24 Sep 2004, 20:39 (Ref:1106247)   #3
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Now you've done it, P...

I'll have to drag out those drawings and sheets of paper again....

After all, if Shaw Chassis Technologies can make a full-blown announcement at Petit Le Mans with nothing more than a few hacked drawings on a website, why can't we try our hand at it???

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 24 Sep 2004, 20:49 (Ref:1106257)   #4
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Exactly!
Old 24 Sep 2004, 22:01 (Ref:1106307)   #5
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh, I should bring out some old drawings made in school!
Old 24 Sep 2004, 22:03 (Ref:1106311)   #6
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Definitely a "piggy-nosed" Panoz!
Old 24 Sep 2004, 22:07 (Ref:1106315)   #7
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
oh, I thought it looked more like a bird's beak (nostrils etc)
Old 24 Sep 2004, 22:48 (Ref:1106344)   #8
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
it would look something like this I think...
Old 25 Sep 2004, 08:56 (Ref:1106462)   #9
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Whatever, its impressive stuff. What are you using to do the drawing?
Old 25 Sep 2004, 10:40 (Ref:1106508)   #10
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Just ordinary gel pens.
The sort of things you make notes with or something. All freehand too. (apart from the circular wheels in the big side veiw one)
Old 25 Sep 2004, 12:53 (Ref:1106556)   #11
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Even more impressed.....
Old 25 Sep 2004, 17:09 (Ref:1106691)   #12
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Very impressive indeed...
Old 25 Sep 2004, 20:47 (Ref:1106837)   #13
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Brings back memories this thread.....I used to design cars during my lessons at school, Formula 1 and Gt. Although I didn't use any regulations and they weren't quite to pirenzos standard.

I also designed and built a car for my GCSE graphics project and still have the design sheets.......no scanner though!
Old 25 Sep 2004, 21:30 (Ref:1106866)   #14
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Sounds good though Knowlesy
Old 25 Sep 2004, 21:33 (Ref:1106869)   #15
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Sounds excellent, do you still have the car you built?
Old 25 Sep 2004, 21:35 (Ref:1106870)   #16
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Thanks. It was pretty good yeah......the drawings that is. The actual model wasn't quite as good as i hoped due to a disaster when some idiot applied black turtle wax to the paint and it bubbled up. Had to redo the whole thing in two days and the finish was a little shabby.

But i still got an A* for the project.

Ahh....great days. I really enjoyed that project and the designs in particular. I still draw cars at work, but the employers don't look down on it so kindly and i have to throw them away! And for some reason I only draw 2D side on views now, as i have lost the plot when it comes to 3D drawings!
Old 25 Sep 2004, 21:38 (Ref:1106874)   #17
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Ayse.....I gave the car I built to my dad. Unfortunately it got a little damaged when he moved house, but i think it's still in reasonable shape.

I must visit my father sometime!
Old 25 Sep 2004, 22:15 (Ref:1106906)   #18
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
That really sounds cool Knowlesy
I only got to design and build a light for GCSE Design & Tech. and a chair for AS-level D&T. Both were boring as hell to build, the chair particularly so. I enjoyed designing the light though. I got A at GCSE and B at AS, but I've now dropped that subject.
I have on a few occaisions tried to model some of my designs. One such attempt still remains unfinished and broken on the top of my wardrobe! It looked really good before what I'd completed of it got broken... Its made from foamboard (not sure thats the correct name for it; its like a dense sponge with paper backing on each side) and paper, at 1:10 scale.
Old 25 Sep 2004, 22:37 (Ref:1106921)   #19
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Good stuff p!

I tell you it is worthwhile building your designs, there's nothing like seeing your drawings being worked into an actual model! Extremely satisfying......

I built mine from wood, three blocks of MDF (I think) glued together and then cut and filed to shape. I was going to use Styrofoam (?) but one mistake and you have to start again. Wood is more forgiving to shape, although it takes a lot longer of course.

Incidentally, I was tidying my room earlier and found the packaging I made for the car.......I don't think the car fitted in it quite, but it looked the part alongside the car when it was put on display in the technology area at school.

Oh dammit, i want to go back to school and do something creative again. To hell with my apprenticeship! lol

For my AS project i built a guitar stand....wasn't allowed to do another car.

Hehehe....if this thread turns out to be a success I might just have to get a scanner! You're going to have to build some of your designs P, and post them in this thread......that'd be great. You could have started something special here if loads of people happen to do the same, or have tried before.

Last edited by Knowlesy; 25 Sep 2004 at 22:39.
Old 26 Sep 2004, 09:16 (Ref:1107106)   #20
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Yeah
I'm not sure where to start with this though

As Es requested in the chatroom yesterday
full-view.jpg
Old 26 Sep 2004, 11:03 (Ref:1107193)   #21
Vicki
Veteran

England
Stoke
Vicki should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridVicki should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I've had a go, but can't post the pic, can someone tell me how to please?
Old 26 Sep 2004, 11:08 (Ref:1107196)   #22
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
You can't post pics directly to the forum any more, but if you look at my top post you'll see a link to photobucket.
Register there, then you can upload pics. Once you've uploaded them you'll see below each one there are three bits of code. copy and paste the one which starts [IMG] into the message box on the forum and when you've written your post, your image will be displayed.
Old 26 Sep 2004, 11:40 (Ref:1107235)   #23
Vicki
Veteran

England
Stoke
Vicki should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridVicki should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This is it, be nice1 I'm no good at art.
Old 26 Sep 2004, 12:57 (Ref:1107285)   #24
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Interesting steering geometry!
Old 26 Sep 2004, 14:16 (Ref:1107335)   #25
Vicki
Veteran

England
Stoke
What do you mean exactly? I'm not completely sure!