Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 27 Oct 2004, 06:45 (Ref:1137360)   #26
Spectator
Racer

United Kingdom
East Sussex
Spectator should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re Mr Gollop:-
He is entered and should show up but as to his reliability---well who knows he has been just as unreliable as all the rest but for different reasons.
Old 27 Oct 2004, 13:16 (Ref:1137750)   #27
Cryos
Veteran

MagnetON
Cryos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCryos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the zetec engine dosnt seemed to have worked that great for him, its only getting one event an engine build... costly...

To keep the national IQ higher, we prevent links in the signatures. Its clearly in the notice, but that doesn't stop some people moaning about it..
Old 27 Oct 2004, 13:49 (Ref:1137790)   #28
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Bang for buck the old YB still seems to be the way to go doesn't it? Has anybody tried getting 500+bhp out of a Duratec engine yet? Is that an improvement on the Zetec?
Old 27 Oct 2004, 16:41 (Ref:1137952)   #29
Cryos
Veteran

MagnetON
Cryos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCryos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeh, Zetech then duratec (and duratorque :P )

There was some guy over here building a duratec engine for a puma rallycar, that was some 9/10 months ago ? havnt heard anything from it...

the bangs for buck dosnt seem to be too many on the zetec's, but isnt the duratec only a slightly different setup to the zetec, read something in the irish autobiz a few months ago about them but they were saying there is not much different, just that the lifespan of the engine is much longer than before from a little more horsepower than before.. Sorta like the New VW FSI engines, they are designed for comprimising preformance and long life, but the new golf gti is 2.0 (bi?)turbo fsi....

Might be able to get more out of duratec engines, seeing as ford are doing the new Sports Dura Torque diesel engines with 150 - 180 bhp... any ford nuts around?

To keep the national IQ higher, we prevent links in the signatures. Its clearly in the notice, but that doesn't stop some people moaning about it..
Old 27 Oct 2004, 17:19 (Ref:1137987)   #30
bigted
Veteran

bigted should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i thought the YB was running out of homoglamation, thats why Gollop was working on the ZETEC
Old 27 Oct 2004, 17:25 (Ref:1137993)   #31
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
That was true definitely - I think the homologation was extended?
Old 27 Oct 2004, 18:04 (Ref:1138023)   #32
Stevie A
Racer

United Kingdom
Leicestershire
Stevie A should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Duratec engine is what the Ford WRC team use now.....they changed from the Zetec a couple of years back. The problem is that neither of them has really been tested upto 500+ bhp and 700+ Nm except for Gollop.

Phil Collards Modified Ford Ka has a 2.0 normally aspirated Duratec with 275 bhp and they're the thick end of 10 grand a piece from Mountune.

It's about time that things moved on from the YB-T engine. The new restrictor regs are supposed to open up the choice of engines and therefore makes of car but with the if you compare the cost of developing other engines (even only upto 500 brake) to the cheap proven power of a YB its a no brainer really...they'll still be grids of Fords!

At the end of the day, the engine is 20 years old and i thought rallycross wanted up to date machinery and technology.
Old 27 Oct 2004, 18:30 (Ref:1138047)   #33
Minicross424
Veteran

United Kingdom
Ashford Kent
Minicross424 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just having my set up changed back from circuit set up to Rallycross spec.
Im entered for both days and intend to go for it.
As for whos going to win what:
Supercars- Manning, Gollop, Doran
Supermodified- Dresser, Binks maybe
Stockhatch- Green, Horton,
Minicross, Roach, Budd (Danny) Me!!!
Juinors- Davis, jordan
Old 27 Oct 2004, 18:44 (Ref:1138062)   #34
Minicross424
Veteran

United Kingdom
Ashford Kent
Minicross424 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Big Big sorry to Ash Davis
Only just found out hes has had to pull out.
Old 28 Oct 2004, 07:32 (Ref:1138579)   #35
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Quote:
Originally posted by Minicross424
Just having my set up changed back from circuit set up to Rallycross spec.
I noticed your car in the paddock at the SEMSEC meeting - was that part of the minicross all rounders thingy or were you there purely for the fun of it?
Old 28 Oct 2004, 07:43 (Ref:1138586)   #36
winnie
Racer

winnie has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Gollop uses a Zetec engine with cast iron block. The Duratec is all alluminium and i think designed by Mazda. For high output turbo engines the main requirement for reliability is a strong block, hense most supercar engines are cast iron. This is the reason engines like Subaru can't produce reliable power.
Old 28 Oct 2004, 13:29 (Ref:1138875)   #37
Cryos
Veteran

MagnetON
Quote:
Gollop uses a Zetec engine with cast iron block. The Duratec is all alluminium and i think designed by Mazda. For high output turbo engines the main requirement for reliability is a strong block, hense most supercar engines are cast iron. This is the reason engines like Subaru can't produce reliable power.
I think your right winnie about the duratec being a mazda engine, because i think the mazda 6 engine is very simular to a duratec ford engine. Peugeot used cast iron blocks in their 306 maxi, 405 Mi 16 and 205 t16? but the 106 and 206 maxi's were alluminium blocks, definatly could see the difference, probably the best example was when justin dale?(nearly sure it was him)'s engine blew on the last stage and handed the championship to milner? brand new one event engine.

If gollop, manning, holfield and the rest are all starting in brands on the weekend its sure to be a cracking event, whats the entrylist shaping up like now ?

Old 28 Oct 2004, 14:15 (Ref:1138935)   #38
Spectator
Racer

United Kingdom
East Sussex
Spectator should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As of Monday it was 88 for Sunday
12 supercars No Gibson though
16 supermodified/modified
30 stockhatch
14 minis
16 juniors

Should be a great weekend.
91 for the BTRDA on Saturday
1 supercar
11 mod & super mod
40 stockhatch
20 minis
14 juniors
Many people are of course doubling up the two days
Old 29 Oct 2004, 07:31 (Ref:1139583)   #39
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
The Brands meeting got a mention on the BBC south east news this morning! There was a brief interview with Doran and Twyman as well as some footage of the cars in action. Good to see it getting some coverage.