Trulli 13 21.67%
Montoya 1 1.67%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Old 26 Mar 2005, 02:36 (Ref:1262049)   #1
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I miss "Drive of the Race" thread (inc Malaysia)

Last year, in this forum it used to be a "Drive of the race" thread, after the race was run, and then forum users voted for determinated driver they though he had the best drive.

This year this mentioned thread turned down, but really, after seeing the Malaysian GP I regret this thread isn't here anymore; nonetheless I post here the three drivers who, in my opinion, deserved to be the top three best drives of that race:

1. Nick Heidfeld (for his fantastic way from 10th to 3rd including the two-lap battle among Ralf and Webber)
2. Fernando Alonso (for his soberb start-to-finish lead)
3. Mark Webber (for the great battle he did with Ralf and Heidfeld and later with Fisichella; he would be the best drive of Malaysian GP if he hadn't clashed with Fisico during the last part of the race).
Old 26 Mar 2005, 10:45 (Ref:1262187)   #2
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
1. Alonso
2. Heidfeld
3. Raikkonen
Old 26 Mar 2005, 10:52 (Ref:1262194)   #3
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Mekola, present.

I've added all drivers that have been suggested and a couple of other obvious ones. Ralf, because he had that battle with Heidfeld and Webber. I also added Trulli for getting Toyota's podium and being strong all race.
Old 26 Mar 2005, 11:01 (Ref:1262203)   #4
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Can't we have one for Australia as well and do the score totalling like last season so we get a driver of the year?

Please?
Old 26 Mar 2005, 11:21 (Ref:1262217)   #5
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Trulli for me, first podium for Toyota
Old 26 Mar 2005, 11:23 (Ref:1262219)   #6
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Alonso did a fabulous job again, so I'm inclined to vote for him.

However, Trulli was equally superb and brought Toyota its first podium so I'll vote for him!
Old 26 Mar 2005, 12:47 (Ref:1262267)   #7
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Alonso was imperilous, probably the best drive of his career to date, the one where his championship potential really shone through, and I can't think of any reason to vote against him.

Can someone dig out last year's final results on this poll, to see how they compare with the real championship?
Old 26 Mar 2005, 13:05 (Ref:1262279)   #8
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Heidfeld for me, Smart, Fast and Racey.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 26 Mar 2005, 13:30 (Ref:1262295)   #9
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Jarno Trulli for me, however, Ferando was brilliant as ever, and Nick's podium was also a highlight of the race.
Old 26 Mar 2005, 13:42 (Ref:1262300)   #10
DannyG
Racer

Australia
Tasmania, Australia :)
DannyG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Trulli, for boosting Toyota's moral and possibly keeping them in F1 for a little while longer

"There is no substitute for cubic inches"
Old 26 Mar 2005, 15:31 (Ref:1262354)   #11
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Can anyone actually think that someone did a better job than Alonso?
Old 26 Mar 2005, 15:42 (Ref:1262358)   #12
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes!
Being F1 I think it is relavant to take into account the cars potential and what the drivers do with it.
Alonso did well. However from what I recall, by his own admission, during the post-race press conference he stated that his was basically a race management drive.

Q: The car looked faultless over that distance, but what was it like in the cockpit?
FA: It was OK. I saved the tyres a little bit at the beginning, thinking that maybe the first stint was maybe the most risky time for the rear tyres and then after that I saw that Jarno was slowing down a little bit so I slowed down as well, to save my tyres more, and the last stint was just low revs and saving tyres again. I wasn’t pushing really hard in any part of the race. But the car was very easy to drive and really easy.

Last edited by enemy-ace; 26 Mar 2005 at 15:44.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 26 Mar 2005, 17:34 (Ref:1262406)   #13
krt917
Veteran

krt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkrt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well said enemy-ace!

Quote:
Originally Posted by enemy-ace
Heidfeld for me, Smart, Fast and Racey.
I agree. Trulli stood out for scoring such a great result for Toyota, but Nick's charge through from tenth was great. He was the only one of the Webber-Nick-Fisi-Ralf group that showed brains all the way through the various on-track fights.
Old 26 Mar 2005, 17:40 (Ref:1262412)   #14
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Alonso

Ciao Marco
Old 26 Mar 2005, 18:39 (Ref:1262439)   #15
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Heidfeld. Great drive through the field. Sensible but quick and kept his wits about him while most lost theirs.
Old 26 Mar 2005, 18:44 (Ref:1262443)   #16
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quick Nick....for me
Old 26 Mar 2005, 21:23 (Ref:1262551)   #17
Raven
Veteran

England
Raven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nando again. It would've been nice to see what Raikkonen could've done without the puncture though.
Old 26 Mar 2005, 21:27 (Ref:1262554)   #18
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
1. Heidfeld
2. Alonso
3. Räikkönen
Old 26 Mar 2005, 22:07 (Ref:1262569)   #19
DannyG
Racer

Australia
Tasmania, Australia :)
DannyG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by krt917
but Nick's charge through from tenth was great. He was the only one of the Webber-Nick-Fisi-Ralf group that showed brains all the way through the various on-track fights.
I agree, Nick was a smart driver on the day. It reminded me of online PC racing games, nearly always when people in front of me are fighting for position it ends in tears, i just sit back and wait for it too happen

"There is no substitute for cubic inches"
Old 27 Mar 2005, 08:37 (Ref:1262726)   #20
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I voted for Trulli - the others are more or less obvious drivers in top teams...the Toyota podium was a real surprise after thinking in Australia that the grid slot was a flash-in-the-pan aided by the weather.

Plus anyone who sticks it to Ralf Schumacher is top in my book
Old 28 Mar 2005, 02:49 (Ref:1263295)   #21
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
"Quick" Nick Heidfeld is my choice
Old 28 Mar 2005, 12:35 (Ref:1263475)   #22
dcp2685
Veteran

dcp2685 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Had to choose Heidfeld. A great race and made a lot of very good clean overtaking moves.

Not to mention a class act.
Old 28 Mar 2005, 18:39 (Ref:1263663)   #23
marcel82
Veteran

European Union
Beersel, Belgium
marcel82 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm going with Nick to. but why isn't Montoya on there? he finished fourth, and started 11th. it's the same performance as Nick, the only difference is the camera guys seemed to have missed him
Old 28 Mar 2005, 19:30 (Ref:1263720)   #24
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I've added Montoya.
Old 29 Mar 2005, 00:20 (Ref:1263874)   #25
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Jarno drove a superb race. He's my pick.

Nick was good, but benefited greatly from Fisi taking out his team mate and Kimi's tyre drama.

And Alonso almost had it too easy.