Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 4 Apr 2005, 21:17 (Ref:1270244)   #1
numbersix
Pie On 'ere
Veteran

England
Smaug. Desolation of.
numbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Inviting prospective Marshals

I've got a couple of people half-interested in marshalling and have invited them to come with me one day to take a closer look at what we loons do at weekends.

As it's highly likely that they will only come at very short notice I thought the best way was to use spare tickets to get them in, walk them to my post and ask the Observer if they could be on post to "observe" themselves, so to speak.

Is this right, or should I sign them in for insurance purposes (what if they come later?) or should I contact the Chief Marshal in advance or what?

Suggestions appreciated.

Last edited by numbersix; 4 Apr 2005 at 21:18.
Old 4 Apr 2005, 21:25 (Ref:1270254)   #2
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
They will definitely need to be signed on, as will anyone trackside.
Old 4 Apr 2005, 21:46 (Ref:1270270)   #3
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Correct, Ian, they must be signed on. Have a word with the Chief when you sign on, even if they do arrive later. I wouldn't imagine there'd be any problem.
Old 5 Apr 2005, 08:19 (Ref:1270600)   #4
Nadine J Lewis
Veteran

England
Hartford, Northwich
Nadine J Lewis should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As you are from Stockport I take it you'll be coming to Oulton Park? Make sure they sign on with myself for incident marshals. Then we can give them the famous Cliff Hammond tour of the circuit in the morning (get into Race Control / Scrutineering / Rescue Units and walk the circuit during prcatice sessions) and then in the afternoon we can put them out on post (with you if requried!). We encourage all new marshals to Oulton Park to do this even if they have been marshalling for a number of years elsewhere as every circuit is different. If you need any more info or pointers drop me a PM.
Old 5 Apr 2005, 14:22 (Ref:1270903)   #5
MacGWC
Racer

United Kingdom
Hanslope, Bucks
MacGWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMacGWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If our two friends decide to become marshals, there are additional insurance (and other!) benefits in joing the Marshals' Club, the British Motorsport Marshals' Club www.marshals.co.uk. The Cliff Hammond introductory tour sounds an excellent place to start.

Last edited by MacGWC; 5 Apr 2005 at 14:25.
Old 6 Apr 2005, 11:43 (Ref:1271617)   #6
mitzi dude
Racer

New Zealand
New Zealand
mitzi dude should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When you guys get new marshals, either flag, rescue, what insentives do you give them? I did a news paper add last year Got 8 replys but they were only interested in our big meetings not the small ones. So how do you keep them on.? Any new ideas would be appreciated thanx. Rob.
Old 6 Apr 2005, 12:18 (Ref:1271648)   #7
Fay
Veteran

England
Silverstone
Fay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Strange thing is over here that a lot of people start off doing big meetings and then gradually filter down to the small meetings, providing the racing is good. Just keep telling them how good the small meetings are and hope that they will have a go.
Old 6 Apr 2005, 12:28 (Ref:1271667)   #8
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Hepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
take them to a legends race, they'll never want to do a "big" meeting again!
Old 6 Apr 2005, 12:32 (Ref:1271673)   #9
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitzi dude
When you guys get new marshals, either flag, rescue, what insentives do you give them? I did a news paper add last year Got 8 replys but they were only interested in our big meetings not the small ones. So how do you keep them on.? Any new ideas would be appreciated thanx. Rob.
Thats a difficult question to answer Rob.

I think first and foremost is that you put them with an experienced team and if possible on a busy post for the first few meetings. It's essential that the post chief makes sure he/she is available to answer any questions and to encourage the new marshal to get involved with as many of the days clear ups as is possible.

I take it one step further when I have new marshals on post with me and get them flagging a couple of practice sessions. This gives them a better understanding of how hard a flaggies job is and also helps them to appreciate the different flags.

Try to get the new marshals to move to different posts at each meeting, this gives them a better aspect of racing from different vantage points. Try also to get them to spend a day in assembly, race control, pits, paddock so that they get a rounded idea of the different disciplines of marshalling.

The worst thing you can do is to put them on a post where the other marshals ignore the new person or where they don't offer to help. It's a very daunting time being trackside for the first few times!

Last edited by Stephen Green; 6 Apr 2005 at 12:33.
Old 6 Apr 2005, 12:46 (Ref:1271687)   #10
DougK
Racer

United Kingdom
Berkshire
DougK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Stephen ,
I agree with you.

A new marshal is far better being put on a busy "action" post (even if hes told to watch not get involved for the first couple of meetings) rather than a post where nothing happens.

At the end of the day we are all there to "help" and if we don't get to do / see anything we get bored and question why we are there. A new marshal probably wouldn't bother returning if he/she was bored.

I think also having the right Observer and/or IO is most important, as is having a marshal of a similar age on post. Some people find it hard to communicate with people who are in different age brackets and you need to make the new marshals feel at home.
Old 6 Apr 2005, 12:56 (Ref:1271697)   #11
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Exactly, it's all about being able to communicate and to make the 'newbie' feel at home.
Old 6 Apr 2005, 14:06 (Ref:1271736)   #12
KayBee
Veteran

England
Royston Vasey
KayBee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Green
Thats a difficult question to answer Rob.

I think first and foremost is that you put them with an experienced team and if possible on a busy post for the first few meetings. It's essential that the post chief makes sure he/she is available to answer any questions and to encourage the new marshal to get involved with as many of the days clear ups as is possible.

I take it one step further when I have new marshals on post with me and get them flagging a couple of practice sessions. This gives them a better understanding of how hard a flaggies job is and also helps them to appreciate the different flags.

Try to get the new marshals to move to different posts at each meeting, this gives them a better aspect of racing from different vantage points. Try also to get them to spend a day in assembly, race control, pits, paddock so that they get a rounded idea of the different disciplines of marshalling.

The worst thing you can do is to put them on a post where the other marshals ignore the new person or where they don't offer to help. It's a very daunting time being trackside for the first few times!
Stephen! At Oulton MarshalGirl has everything under control with regard to SignOn and Allocation of posts.

The post allocators, MarshalGirl, Flying Muppet and Mike Cadwallader, also ensure that all trackside marshals work on different posts and with different people at every meeting.

Old 6 Apr 2005, 14:32 (Ref:1271753)   #13
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Yes I know, and a super job they do too! I as answering as a general answer and not 'circuit specific' as it were.
Old 6 Apr 2005, 14:42 (Ref:1271756)   #14
danccooke
Veteran

England
West Sussex
danccooke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Last year was our first full year of marshalling and my wife and I saw a lot of action, being motorsport mad there was never a chance that we wouldn't enjoy it but it definately made a huge difference having stuff to do (somtimes too much) and being with great people, now a year in we know the faces, routines etc etc and just get on and enjoy and learn (i don't think i will ever stop learning). since we have been marshalling we have got more and more people coming to watch, sadly havn't got any to cross the fence from spectator to marshal but more spectators the better for the sport. So many of the people that have come on our 'spare' tickets have said how much they enjoy the club meets and how friendly everyone is. This weekend Dee and I are at Donny (both spare tickets taken) one work colleague has paid to take his family to the BSB at Thruxton and another is taking his family to the MCC Clubmans at Brands Hatch, hows that they even pay if they can't sponge off of Dee and I. ( i know i digressed but the more of us who get people to come watch and get hooked the better)

Last edited by danccooke; 6 Apr 2005 at 14:43.