Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 17 Oct 2004, 23:26 (Ref:1126950)   #1
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Pierre Kaffer - how good is he?

Well, the question's pretty simple.
Old 18 Oct 2004, 00:09 (Ref:1126967)   #2
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hes very good - not Tom Kristensen standard by any means though IMO. Still he deserves his place in the Audi and is a very good and competent driver, but if I could choose 3 drivers to put into a Audi he woudnt be on my list.
Old 18 Oct 2004, 03:58 (Ref:1127021)   #3
flor
Veteran

flor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridflor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
he was quite okay in F3, although he had a lot of bad luck there and during his first seasons he relied on his grandmothers money to keep racing....
Old 18 Oct 2004, 05:17 (Ref:1127037)   #4
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
I'd say : "how good a pilot who wins ?"...
Old 18 Oct 2004, 07:04 (Ref:1127067)   #5
mikmx
Racer

Netherlands
rotterdam
mikmx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think he is pretty good was his first year in an R8 and he did a very good job. Only thing is the Spa accident. I read an article in Evo magazine were Mc Nish defends the much debated burning car in the pits. Its the first thing you think about as a driver to get to someone who can help. Giving his Le Mans incident as an example. So maybe that proves that Pierre's endurance instinct is A+.
Old 18 Oct 2004, 10:23 (Ref:1127163)   #6
Gina
Rookie

Gina should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He's definetely a very good driver who perfectly deserves being in such a great team. You know he is not one of those drivers making their way with the help of daddy's money.That didn't make it easy but with a lot of talent, hard work and a little bit of luck he managed to get where he is today.He should be a part of the Audi Sportscar project next season as well.
Old 18 Oct 2004, 13:09 (Ref:1127300)   #7
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Pretty good.

After all, a certain TGF didn't exactly set the world on fire until he got into a sportscar, so F3 form really isn't much to go on.
Old 18 Oct 2004, 14:07 (Ref:1127351)   #8
Tweed
Veteran

Wales
North Wales
Tweed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He's very good - deserves a long career in prototypes definitely.
Old 18 Oct 2004, 15:24 (Ref:1127398)   #9
tblincoe
Veteran

tblincoe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i was definitely impressed by his performances all year, more than earned his position within Audi's circle IMO
Old 18 Oct 2004, 15:30 (Ref:1127404)   #10
gi_gav
Veteran

Scotland
gi_gav should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgi_gav should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He had such a great chance to learn under Biela and McNish and he's taken it well.

The good thing is that he's willing to learn. I think he'll continue to mature and hopefully become one of the top prototype drivers of the next few years.
Old 18 Oct 2004, 18:31 (Ref:1127554)   #11
GT-Eins
Veteran

Germany
Hannover, Germany
GT-Eins should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGT-Eins should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
After talking several times to him I too had the impression that he is very talented and professional. His speed is proven and the results of his first year speak clearly for him.
Regarding Spa - well: fast drivers sometimes go to the limit. He will learn from that.
Maybe he has to get something more relaxed during the weekends. But I´m glad to have such a guy running in Sportscars instead of loosing him to formular-cars.
Hope he will stay some further years with the R8, R10, R11, R...

Last edited by GT-Eins; 18 Oct 2004 at 18:32.
Old 18 Oct 2004, 22:10 (Ref:1127797)   #12
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by Aysedasi
After all, a certain TGF didn't exactly set the world on fire until he got into a sportscar, so F3 form really isn't much to go on.
Well, he did win the German Formula 3 Championship. And Macau.
Old 19 Oct 2004, 01:05 (Ref:1127898)   #13
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Fair enough. But I bet more people recognised his talent after one drive in a Merc at Le Mans than a whole season in German F3.......
Old 19 Oct 2004, 10:13 (Ref:1128095)   #14
ASUKTV
Rookie

ASUKTV should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pierre Kaffer 2004 results: Sebring 12 Hours (sportscar race debut/Sebring debut): 1st ; Monza 1,000km: 2nd ; Le Mans 24 Hours (Le Mans debut): 5th (his four stints totalled 11hr 18s); Nürburgring 1,000km: 1st (Pierre qualified 2nd – ahead of two other R8s); Silverstone 1,000km: 1st ; Petit Le Mans (Road Atlanta race debut): 2nd (Pierre qualified 3rd – ahead of Werner) Laguna Seca (Laguna debut): 1st
Old 19 Oct 2004, 12:25 (Ref:1128203)   #15
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
ASUKTV makes a good point (and should know!): granted that Kaffer has had the best equipment, but his performances this year have been pretty faultless. Let's hope he's going to enjoy a long career in sportscars. If a factory Audi team does return, Kristensen, McNish, Kaffer and Capello (say) would be a pretty good line-up, with maybe Lehto, Herbert, Werner and Pirro in America for Champion.
Old 19 Oct 2004, 20:06 (Ref:1128718)   #16
Félix
Veteran

MagnetON
Québec
Félix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFélix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And what about Werner? He's there because of Infineon money right? He never impressed this year, although it's quite hard when racing alongside Lehto. Is he good enough? Is the R8 too easy to drive?
Old 19 Oct 2004, 21:43 (Ref:1128817)   #17
tblincoe
Veteran

tblincoe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
werner is a great driver, and has definitely been impressive at times. the thing about werner is that he is consistently fast and not too flashy and if i were a team manager, thats what i would look for in my endurance drivers.
Old 19 Oct 2004, 23:25 (Ref:1128923)   #18
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
I was dubious about Werner in 2003, because he was so obviously in the Joest car because of Infineon money. But he partnered Biela reliably, as he has done Lehto, and at times he's been more than just reliable, he's been extremely quick. Perhaps it's a slight distortion that he's the only double ALMS champion (in P1, at any rate), but he's more than earned his place in an Audi squad.
Old 20 Oct 2004, 12:33 (Ref:1129397)   #19
marcosgt
Racer

England
UK
marcosgt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmarcosgt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How can an Endurance Sportscar be 'Too easy to drive'?

The R8's like a 21st Century 962. Anyone can be quick in it, but not everyone can be ULTRA quick.

Kaffer's done a good job, but as someone said earlier, he wouldn't be in your top 3 choice to put in an R8. Personally, I wouldn't have Biela, either, he's never impressed me as a Sportscar driver.

Stupid question, I'm sure, but who (or what) is TGF?

Cheers.
Old 20 Oct 2004, 19:43 (Ref:1129892)   #20
Kempi
Veteran

Germany
Düsseldorf, Germany
Kempi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKempi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

That German Fellow. (Schuey)

I'm glad, I never had to ask this in the forums, as I had a mate telling me.
Old 21 Oct 2004, 14:52 (Ref:1130757)   #21
marcosgt
Racer

England
UK
marcosgt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmarcosgt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Never heard of him

Yes, he was rather good in the Mercedes, wasn't he... Crashed a lot in other races, though.

Still, he seems to have grown out of that.

Cheers.
Old 25 Oct 2004, 02:03 (Ref:1134452)   #22
Pete Fenelon
Racer

Pete Fenelon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you watched Sebring, Pierre was absolutely incendiary there - it wasn't that he won, but *how* he won. Pierre had the R8 by the balls and was getting every last ounce of performance out of it. Not bad for a debut ride.

And his REAL endurance drive at Le Mans was superb too.

He looks every bit as good as McNish and Herbert to me in terms of raw talent (maybe not racecraft yet), and he's got a lot less experience.
Old 25 Oct 2004, 03:10 (Ref:1134478)   #23
Regis
Rookie

Regis should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Spot on, Pete."Pierre drives the R8 like it is a go-kart" an engineer with Audi UK Team Veloqx said after Spa LMES. How true. At the UK/Veloqx team test at Road Atlanta this past February, I watched Pierre get the R8 sideways out of T7 lap after lap after lap. Honest to gawd powerslides, on the throttle, opposite-lock exiting the corner. In the five years I've shot ELMS ALMS LMES and Le Mans, I'd only seen this once before, Pirro exiting a hairpin at Donington. Pierre spun the R8 twice at Road Atlanta that day, finding the limits of the R8. Much like Gilles Villenueve spun the McLaren M23 several times at Silverstone during his first test with the F1 team.

Another engineer with Audi/Veloqx calls him a Tom Kristensen in the making. okay so the team jokingly referred to him as "kafferbashers" and McNish as "mckrash" - all in good fun.

I mentioned to the team engineer at that RA test about Pierre's antics and his comment was "yes Piere has a heavy right foot - his fuel consumption is very high. But he is very malleable. He wants to learn. he is good at taking direction."

Several races later - at Silverstone LMES I think - the same engineer said that Pierre was the best of the four Audi UK pilots at conserving fuel!!!

Herbert made Pierre look the rookie at Monza when he caught up Pierre and passed him in an incredible move out of Ascari, on the grass as they split round Danny Sulivan in the 575 Ferrari. into Parabolica Johhny completed the pass after the two touched upon entry and Pierre on the outside line lifted, in deference maybe? Whatever... but did anyone notice on the tv replays Sullivan spinning into Parabolica's gravel behind the dicing Audis? The show in front freaked him out for sure!

Pierre was an ironman at LM, and he thoroughly deserved the win at the 'Ring on his home circuit. Spa was bad luck and the fault of the Ferrari pilot. The PLM incident was just that - a racing incident, and the stop-go was undeserved in MO. Johnny and Pierre brought it from teh back of the field at Laguna and lucked out during the last yellow when Pierre crossed the start stripe ahead of the pit-exiting pace car, gaining nearly a full lap lead over his closest competitors.

All in all a very good year for Kaffer: 2 wins and a 2nd out of three ALMS races, two wins, a 2nd and a DNF in LMES, and fifth at Le Mans after an hour-long rebuild of the car, he and Biela sharing the wheel for 21 hours.

I think there is plenty more good news to come from Pierre in an Audi... time will tell. A sportscar superstar he is, in my book