Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 20 Aug 2012, 23:58 (Ref:3122342)   #1
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Driver Seating Position in NASCAR

Why do all the NASCAR drivers sit so close to the steering wheel?
It is as far away from the classic straight arm racing style as you can get with a steering wheel in the car!

Is it:

Weight distribution?
Steering effort required - huge - power steering absorbs power so minimal assistance offered?
Just plain driver preference?
Old 21 Aug 2012, 00:46 (Ref:3122357)   #2
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
On an oval at speed you need a lot of very minute steering movements, hence the big wheel.
Old 21 Aug 2012, 02:13 (Ref:3122371)   #3
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It looks weird but they need to be able to "get up on that steering wheel" in the words of DW.

I think it's easier for them to get leverage on the wheel turning left constantly.
Old 25 Aug 2012, 22:58 (Ref:3124788)   #4
IceMan_PJN
Racer

United States
Ohio
IceMan_PJN has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I haven't actually went around analyzing the distance between race drivers and steering wheels in motorsports, but how many motorsport series actually have drivers with their arms straight out? I'm pretty sure that in F1 they're practically gnawing on the wheel.

And in IndyCar....

I know when I play Forza Motorsport I tend to pull the wheel closer to me; closer than how I'd drive my road car.
Old 29 Aug 2012, 23:17 (Ref:3127145)   #5
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You don't want the wheel at arms length in any formula!! Try it, see how far you can turn the wheel with your hands gripping at "a quarter to three". And see how much grunt you need to turn the wheel.
Now get yourself closer, elbows bent, probably to 60degrees, maybe nearer 90. Now turn that wheel, and see how much more "purchase" you have.
As MountainStar said - you also run a *big* wheel on an big fast oval (truck or bus, take your pick!) so you can feed small amounts of input to it. You can't wring the neck of a circle track car like you can a road course car, it'll bite you back hard and you'll be in the wall (probably backwards!). If you look at them running their Cup cars on a road course, they run smaller steering wheels - it helps with the opposite lock!
Old 30 Aug 2012, 16:42 (Ref:3127462)   #6
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by R59 View Post
You don't want the wheel at arms length in any formula!!
But it looks so coooool...according the street racers
Old 30 Aug 2012, 22:56 (Ref:3127666)   #7
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
But it looks so coooool...according the street racers
as long as you have forearms like Vin Diesel's
Old 31 Aug 2012, 00:36 (Ref:3127690)   #8
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Contrast

Old 31 Aug 2012, 00:48 (Ref:3127692)   #9
wnut
Veteran

With

http://www.columbian.com/photos/2011/mar/12/19614/

Don't be silly and push everything to literally worded extremes either.

Something has changed in the philosophy and it would be interesting to find out exactly what the logic is.

Thanks to those who have made an honest endeavour to help understand the change.
Old 31 Aug 2012, 00:53 (Ref:3127695)   #10
wnut
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceMan_PJN View Post
I haven't actually went around analyzing the distance between race drivers and steering wheels in motorsports, but how many motorsport series actually have drivers with their arms straight out? I'm pretty sure that in F1 they're practically gnawing on the wheel.

And in IndyCar....

I know when I play Forza Motorsport I tend to pull the wheel closer to me; closer than how I'd drive my road car.
Would have to agree as per this article about Vettel's seat

http://www.google.com.au/imgres?q=f1...9,r:6,s:0,i:92
Old 31 Aug 2012, 16:43 (Ref:3127954)   #11
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
The NASCAR seat position looks more comfortable than F1.