Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 24 Jan 2010, 02:10 (Ref:2618344)   #126
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
I don't care anymore who was guilty or what should have been done. I just want the IndyCar Series to be a great series which improves every year.
I agree, however there are a lot of race fans here who are annoyed as to what's happened to Indy Car racing and have every right to vent their spleen, particularly at Tony George.
Old 24 Jan 2010, 19:09 (Ref:2618727)   #127
miatanut
Veteran

United States
Seattle
miatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmiatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmiatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
I don't care anymore who was guilty or what should have been done. I just want the IndyCar Series to be a great series which improves every year.
The sport was at its greatest when it was run by the people with gasoline running in their veins. It will continue to be a shadow of its former self until it is again run by the people with gasoline running in their veins.

Delta Wing gives a glimmer of hope that day may return. Until then, we will have what those of us who opposed Tony George taking over the sport expected would happen with him running the sport.
Old 3 Feb 2010, 21:45 (Ref:2625958)   #128
Xpunk75
Racer

United States
Detroit
Xpunk75 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What are you guys talking about. This is the worse decision ever! Tony George was a genius and won the open wheel war. He will be remembered forever with all the great war leaders in the world just like George Bush.

Old 4 Feb 2010, 00:15 (Ref:2626030)   #129
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
This isn't funny to me, Xpunk.
Old 4 Feb 2010, 06:12 (Ref:2626150)   #130
Xpunk75
Racer

United States
Detroit
You need to laugh at this other wise it consumes your life. I use to get upset and rant and rave on board about Cart and the IRL, the truth is theirs no going back.

The bottom line is the sport needs money badly so that it can reinvent itself, and right now their is no money we hardly have money in country for our schools to be funded properly or small business to get loans. Corporations are not spending money to sponsor teams and drivers because to busy buying people in Washington to vote a certain way they need them to vote. So were going to stuck watching the same crap we've been watching the last 10 years. So settle in, get a beer or whatever you like to drink, and if you like racing watch it and just try to block out your memories of the good old days, or just don't watch it at all and watch something else like Formula 1 or Nextel Cup, or GP Moto whatever there are other options.

I mean if you really look back at all of it, watch the you tube videos and read about it. It's actually really funny to see one person who is so self destructive take down an entire sport with him.

I know this is going to sound horrible but I think banning Tobacco advertising killed a great deal of money flow that was coming into racing and that's also been a problem for many of the teams who can't find sponsors. I sometimes wish big Tobacco could still advertising in racing. It really was the perfect marriage of two very dangerous life styles lol.

Last edited by Xpunk75; 4 Feb 2010 at 06:27.
Old 4 Feb 2010, 17:45 (Ref:2626680)   #131
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Tobacco advertising killed it off in other ways as well. Marlboro basically forced Penske into the IRL by laws which only allowed them to advertise in ONE series.
Old 4 Feb 2010, 18:20 (Ref:2626700)   #132
Xpunk75
Racer

United States
Detroit
huh.. didn't know thanks for the info.
Old 5 Feb 2010, 04:12 (Ref:2627027)   #133
miatanut
Veteran

United States
Seattle
miatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmiatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmiatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
F1 and NASCAR both flourished during the time Indycars were in decline. Tobacco had nothing to do with it. It was strictly the split that caused the decline.
Old 5 Feb 2010, 06:26 (Ref:2627057)   #134
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Yes, we know. But CART might have survived regardless but for the importance of the 500 to Marlboro. The IRL was irrelevant to them.
Old 7 Feb 2010, 00:28 (Ref:2628246)   #135
JagtechOhio
Veteran

United States
Powell, Ohio USA
JagtechOhio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJagtechOhio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In their role as primary sponsor. Marlboro wrote a letter to Penske Racing, directing them to change their allegiances and participate at Indianapolis.

The fact is that it was a big business deal, nothing more to it than that.
Old 7 Feb 2010, 00:57 (Ref:2628260)   #136
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Let's not be naïve, Marlboro sponsorship still plays a big part in motor racing. Penske essentialy have the Marlboro livery on their car in all but name, Ferrari and Ducati Moto GP both "barcode" the logo.
Old 7 Feb 2010, 01:44 (Ref:2628282)   #137
JagtechOhio
Veteran

United States
Powell, Ohio USA
JagtechOhio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJagtechOhio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not have, had. Penske's cars will most likely not retain the previous liveries. They will be posed for photos at Barber in 17 days, and Power's car will most certainly not be red. We will see about the other two.
Old 7 Feb 2010, 11:31 (Ref:2628468)   #138
AndrewF31
Veteran

Canada
Spain
AndrewF31 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndrewF31 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
But Helio and Ryan will keep it, no?
Old 3 Mar 2010, 18:40 (Ref:2644229)   #139
Road America Fan
Rookie

United States
Road America Fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewF31 View Post
But Helio and Ryan will keep it, no?
I think Marlboro is gone.

http://www.indycargarage.com/forum/t...w-color-scheme

Even the uniforms have lost the red & white Marlboro chevrons.
Old 3 Mar 2010, 18:53 (Ref:2644241)   #140
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Marlboro are gone, the end of an epoch, reminiscent of McLaren and Marlboro's parting of the ways.
Old 6 Mar 2010, 06:19 (Ref:2645941)   #141
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm not sure how"gone" Marlboro is... according some articles, Penske is still receiving funding from the Altria Group, which is what Phillip Morris rebranded themselves as. I would not at all be surprised if there is still tobacco money going to Penske in exchange for at least keeping orange on their cars.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 6 Mar 2010, 06:51 (Ref:2645947)   #142
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
I'm not sure how"gone" Marlboro is... according some articles, Penske is still receiving funding from the Altria Group, which is what Phillip Morris rebranded themselves as. I would not at all be surprised if there is still tobacco money going to Penske in exchange for at least keeping orange on their cars.
Well Penske's guy said they were not getting any more money and I know for a fact they dismantled all the promotional programs that was making it worthwhile for them to begin with so I think it's over. If there is any money going around I seriously doubt it is anything like a few years ago($22 million).
Old 6 Mar 2010, 12:45 (Ref:2646065)   #143
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
I would not at all be surprised if there is still tobacco money going to Penske in exchange for at least keeping orange on their cars.
The orange in the livery has probably more to do with Verizon than anything else.
Old 6 Mar 2010, 17:33 (Ref:2646186)   #144
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/racing...ohn&id=4942617
Quote:
"We have a new partner in Verizon for a full season and we also have a new and different relationship with what is referred to as Altria Engagement Services. That's not just with the IndyCar program but across the board.
So...while they're dropping Phillip Morris sponsorship, they've formed a relationship with Phillip Morris's parent company. To what effect, and how much money is involved is unknown, but business "relationships" usually involve some cash exchanging hands. As long as Penske and Altria have an association, you have to assume that they are still receiving some tobacco money.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 6 Mar 2010, 18:55 (Ref:2646229)   #145
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
That sounds like a reasonable assumption.

Last edited by bjohnsonsmith; 6 Mar 2010 at 19:11. Reason: typo