Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 1 Mar 2007, 00:57 (Ref:1854235)   #276
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
I did Mr.B ..... didnt I !!! Wonder if they have it in Greek too ?

There is a translation for it on the same page too . I would Like to see Enge in a proto for LM though .
Old 1 Mar 2007, 05:40 (Ref:1854333)   #277
Iceman8598
Rookie

Canada
Ontario
Iceman8598 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah question, since the field is now already set at the max 55, with the 8 reserved entries also being set...doesn't that take away some of the incentive to take part in the Sebring 12 hours? Not that winning Sebring doesn't also bring along the accolades, but time was a win there in your class guaranteed you a slot on the Le Mans grid later that year. So what's gonna happen now?
Old 1 Mar 2007, 07:03 (Ref:1854345)   #278
The359
Veteran

United States
Pennsylvania, USA
The359 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This move by the ACO to publish the list before Sebring not only demotes the status of Sebring, but also the LMS test at Paul Ricard which is also in a few weeks and apparently was also used by the ACO to make their judgements.

However, with the fact that nearly the entire Le Mans entry list seems to basically be the LMS entry list, and this move by the ACO to release the list early, I can't help but get the feeling that this might be the ACO's attempt to show IMSA and the ALMS that they aren't satisfied with their handling of things, specifically the rule modifications.
Old 1 Mar 2007, 07:08 (Ref:1854348)   #279
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
There seem to be very few ALMS entrants that applied and did not receive an entry - I think the conclusion that this sends any 'messages' might be a little presumptive
Old 1 Mar 2007, 07:43 (Ref:1854356)   #280
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The359
This move by the ACO to publish the list before Sebring not only demotes the status of Sebring, but also the LMS test at Paul Ricard which is also in a few weeks and apparently was also used by the ACO to make their judgements.

However, with the fact that nearly the entire Le Mans entry list seems to basically be the LMS entry list, and this move by the ACO to release the list early, I can't help but get the feeling that this might be the ACO's attempt to show IMSA and the ALMS that they aren't satisfied with their handling of things, specifically the rule modifications.
Agreed!... but IMSA did'nt change the rules, they just did'nt implement the ACO's change of the rules.
Old 1 Mar 2007, 08:18 (Ref:1854374)   #281
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Goodwin
There seem to be very few ALMS entrants that applied and did not receive an entry - I think the conclusion that this sends any 'messages' might be a little presumptive
That may well be, but I think it could of very well been a shot across the bow to Imsa and the invitees. Tafel comes to mind! Not a large disruption to Sebring this year but could discourage participation in the future if the announcement date stays or goes even sooner.

What other reason is there for them to announce so early, even earlier than they said they would, other than to show displeasure over certain details that have arisen.

L.P.
Old 1 Mar 2007, 08:31 (Ref:1854383)   #282
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG
That may well be, but I think it could of very well been a shot across the bow to Imsa and the invitees. Tafel comes to mind! Not a large disruption to Sebring this year but could discourage participation in the future if the announcement date stays or goes even sooner.

What other reason is there for them to announce so early, even earlier than they said they would, other than to show displeasure over certain details that have arisen.

L.P.
I see absolutely nothing untoward in the list, there were 30 applications for GT2. The only question mark in my mind would be if an entry was sought by PTG/Multimatic.

The timing of the release (together with the number of entries still to be built) does make me wonder if the ACO has listened to appeals to give teams more time to prepare for Le Mans in the knowledge that their entry is guaranteed. Remember the 'Changing the Rules of Engagement' thread?
Old 1 Mar 2007, 09:18 (Ref:1854414)   #283
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
The fact that Tom Milner was already announced as an LNT driver tends to indicate that they didn't apply.

I'm disappointed that Tafel aren't even on the reserve list but they are a brand new team to ACO rules racing this season
Old 1 Mar 2007, 16:01 (Ref:1854693)   #284
The359
Veteran

United States
Pennsylvania, USA
My reasoning wasn't so much the lack of ALMS teams, I know some usuals didn't apply, but more to do with them announcing it before Sebring.

Would 3 weeks difference, give or take, really have affected a team's preperations for Le Mans?
Old 1 Mar 2007, 16:04 (Ref:1854695)   #285
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG

L.P.
It will give the teams extra time to sort out the funding for the race and season.

Alot of teams base their presentations to potential sponsors around a hoped for, but unconfirmed entry, into what for a sponsor is the biggest race of the year.

It is easier now for the teams to clinch deals knowing they have the entry, and these teams will also now know they have to budget for it.

It will also focus the minds of constructors knowing which teams will be going, again this is good.

Hopefully the early list will cut down the number of teams that drop out due to sponsor/money/no car issues.
Old 1 Mar 2007, 16:29 (Ref:1854708)   #286
mariantic
Racer

Scotland
Scotland
mariantic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmariantic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The fact that Tom Milner was already announced as an LNT driver tends to indicate that they didn't apply.
But Tom is a Rahal Letterman drive this year since Dad took over the Panoz squad. So I don't think that indicates that PTG didn't lodge an entry.

Mariantic
Old 1 Mar 2007, 17:37 (Ref:1854745)   #287
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
I dont think this demotes Sebring at all . Its only in the last maybe 4 or 5 years that Sebring was used as a pointer of what to expect from who . So its just like it was before . Maybe Sebring was used to weedle out the crap efforts , but the quality of the teams now , there are few crap ones imo . So , le Mans didnt have to hang about .

Just look at the Le Mans grid ..... brilliant grid in my opinion . How could it be better ? Oh yeah ..... get rid of those R10 tractors !!!
Old 1 Mar 2007, 17:46 (Ref:1854756)   #288
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
But the arrangement that brings Tom M to LNT also involves Tom K-S driving for PTG at Sebring - The two issues are linked
Old 1 Mar 2007, 17:59 (Ref:1854766)   #289
mariantic
Racer

Scotland
Scotland
mariantic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmariantic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
But the arrangement that brings Tom M to LNT also involves Tom K-S driving for PTG at Sebring - The two issues are linked

Ahhh I see. I think!
Old 1 Mar 2007, 18:53 (Ref:1854809)   #290
The Badger
Veteran

Quote:
It wouldnt surprise me if the LNT effort is a joint effort with PTG for Le Mans .
Old 1 Mar 2007, 18:57 (Ref:1854815)   #291
neiltbag
Racer

United States
Petaluma, CA
neiltbag should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think that this just happens to be a year with fewer American entries. Half the ALMS LMP1 field and all the GT1 field are going to Le Mans!

Porsche and Acura never had plans to go this year, Dyson didn't want to, Intersport don't have a compliant LMP1, the Mazda project is too new in its current form etc. American cars make up a good third of the GT2 class. It seems that the ACO realized that Sebring results would make little difference this year.

Next year I think we can expect many more ALMS cars looking for a Le Mans entry, and I wouldn't be surprised to see the ACO wait until after Sebring in 2008.
Old 1 Mar 2007, 19:26 (Ref:1854850)   #292
The359
Veteran

United States
Pennsylvania, USA
Dyson did say he wanted to earlier, but that was before he got his hands on the Porsches.
Old 1 Mar 2007, 19:33 (Ref:1854858)   #293
The Badger
Veteran

Quote:
Dyson did say he wanted to earlier, but that was before he got his hands on the Porsches.
Dyson always says that he wants to do it . When he does , I "WILL" eat my hat !!!

Love to see them there though .
Old 1 Mar 2007, 19:41 (Ref:1854867)   #294
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger
It wouldnt surprise me if the LNT effort is a joint effort with PTG for Le Mans .
I was of the same mind!

L.P.
Old 1 Mar 2007, 19:47 (Ref:1854870)   #295
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
Quote:
I dont think this demotes Sebring at all . Its only in the last maybe 4 or 5 years that Sebring was used as a pointer of what to expect from who . So its just like it was before . Maybe Sebring was used to weedle out the crap efforts , but the quality of the teams now , there are few crap ones imo . So , le Mans didnt have to hang about .

Just look at the Le Mans grid ..... brilliant grid in my opinion . How could it be better ? Oh yeah ..... get rid of those R10 tractors !!!

Sebring and LeMans have been linked a lot longer than 5 years more like 5 decades!

L.P.
Old 1 Mar 2007, 19:59 (Ref:1854879)   #296
The Badger
Veteran

Youve missed my drift . I ment to say that its only in the last few years that Le Mans have officially waited until Sebring was run to determine the field for June .
Old 1 Mar 2007, 20:34 (Ref:1854900)   #297
The Real DMN
Racer

England
North Yorkshire
The Real DMN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
After the race last year Dr Panoz said "Some times a customer winning is better than you winning....". So I'm sure LNT will get any help they want/need
Old 1 Mar 2007, 20:36 (Ref:1854904)   #298
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
Quote:
Youve missed my drift . I ment to say that its only in the last few years that Le Mans have officially waited until Sebring was run to determine the field for June .
Yes and no! It is also only recently that LeMans has had dedicated feeder series. Whereas before it was more of associated races so the criteria was somewhat different!?

L.P.
Old 2 Mar 2007, 01:53 (Ref:1855147)   #299
The Badger
Veteran

Its not yes and no !!! Its no ..... they never waited officially for Sebring to finish before deciding the grid , except for the past few years .

We had Group C and IMSA then ..... little differances , But Le Mans never waited to see what was happening , and they shouldnt in my opinion .
Old 2 Mar 2007, 07:26 (Ref:1855347)   #300
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
I think the waiting was when the quality of entry was doubtful - this year there is no such problem so why wait? Its best to give the teams as much time as possible to organise themselves and raise sponsors. Sebring can now be used as a showcase to attact potential funding