Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 3 Mar 2006, 09:34 (Ref:1535250)   #76
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwyllion
Are you referring to the 720 bhp mentioned by Yves Courage? (in the news section of Mulsanne's corner)
No, I've actually seen 750bhp in the last few of days!

But of course, it's all speculation. I'm not sure anyone outside of Audi really knows.........
Old 3 Mar 2006, 13:23 (Ref:1535428)   #77
Flat12-Aircool
Veteran

United Kingdom
Stoke-on-Trent (The Potteries)
Flat12-Aircool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFlat12-Aircool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley03
No, I've actually seen 750bhp in the last few of days!

But of course, it's all speculation. I'm not sure anyone outside of Audi really knows.........
Are the 720/750 bhp comments really about the new Diesels?

I was thinking that he may have been refering to the slightly larger restrictor that a Petrol/Diesel powered LMP1 Coupe would now get to compensate for Air-con?
Old 3 Mar 2006, 14:09 (Ref:1535467)   #78
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat12-Aircool

I was thinking that he may have been refering to the slightly larger restrictor that a Petrol/Diesel powered LMP1 Coupe would now get to compensate for Air-con?
It was on another forum that I read it but for the life of me I can't remember which thread (it wasn't an obvious one plus I can't be bothered to look for it!), but yes, definitely 750bhp was the figure suggested for the Audi diesel engine. The point being made was highlighting just how far behind the Pescarolo's could be on outright bhp this year let alone torque, even with the updated and lighter Judd engine.

But I would reiterate that unless Audi release a statement confirming this figure (which of course they won't in the forseeable future) there is absolutely no reason to treat it as anything more than speculative.......
Old 3 Mar 2006, 14:20 (Ref:1535471)   #79
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
http://www.motorsport.com/news/artic...FS=ALMS-LEMANS

Quote:
The R10 is powered by a V12 turbo diesel that produces 650 hp and 1,100 Newton-meters of torque.
That's Audi's story, anyway.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 3 Mar 2006, 15:17 (Ref:1535515)   #80
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Personally, I feel far more comfortable accepting Audi's official figure. But the groundbreaking nature of this engine still leaves me wondering if............
Old 3 Mar 2006, 19:50 (Ref:1535644)   #81
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:

It was about LMP1 Coupe + A/C.
Old 5 Mar 2006, 15:01 (Ref:1536691)   #82
dj choc ice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Liverpool
dj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
fantastic, what is it with putting noise restricters on racing cars nowadays, the noise of these LM cars is probably the best noise's i have heard in my 16 year life and i dont know why they want to make them quiter??, the but i guess it is a lot more friendly with the air con in the cars now but im thoroughly against the noise restrictors and ill be damned if i cant make it to donington in august before they imply noise restrictors for the 07 season
Old 5 Mar 2006, 18:54 (Ref:1536840)   #83
Flat12-Aircool
Veteran

United Kingdom
Flat12-Aircool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFlat12-Aircool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well there's a bit of a debate over if they will be quieter.

113Db is to be measured 15 meters from the trackside, which is pretty generous compared to other tests like the British GT which holds the detector closer to the exhaust.

TVR's may still have a problem though, last year at Silverstone they we're clearly the loudest. Vrroooommmm! Ouch my ears!
Old 5 Mar 2006, 19:04 (Ref:1536855)   #84
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
113Db is to be measured 15 meters from the trackside, which is pretty generous compared to other tests like the British GT which holds the detector closer to the exhaust.
That is quite loud. Is that 15m in front of the spectators, or 15m from the track.

The tests by the exhaust are not normally done at full revs. Which helps.
Old 5 Mar 2006, 19:57 (Ref:1536883)   #85
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAshmore
That is quite loud. Is that 15m in front of the spectators, or 15m from the track.
They will be taking readings at various points on the circuit fifteen metres from the track.
Old 5 Mar 2006, 20:05 (Ref:1536887)   #86
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
That is a much better way of doing it. If the aim is to assess the noise pollution to the surrounding area and the effect on the spectators.
Old 5 Mar 2006, 20:10 (Ref:1536889)   #87
Flat12-Aircool
Veteran

United Kingdom
I suppose the unique problem endurance racing has is that quite often the races go into the night and in the case of 24hr's its also into early morning.

This creates an extra aspect for local residents to moan about, so I can see why the ACO want to do it. It's just a question of is 113db the correct level or should it be higher?

Plus, sorry to start with the conspiracy theory's again, but these new Diesel LMP's are going very quiet compared to most other cars.
Old 28 Mar 2006, 14:16 (Ref:1563334)   #88
Flat12-Aircool
Veteran

United Kingdom
It looks like we have a partial answer to the mystery of how the ACO will police the Air-Con in GT1 and LMP Coupe's etc.

Here's a translation of the latest Press conference at Paul Ricard :-

" To control the temperature in the cockpits, a sensor will be installed close to the helmet of the pilot."

But it begs the question, what if the sensor malfunctions halfway through the race and stops sending back data? What penalty will there be if a temperature infringment is commited?

Still too many "if's & but's" IMO.
Old 13 Nov 2006, 10:25 (Ref:1764783)   #89
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley03
DSC are reporting the ACO have made an amendment to the new 'air conditioning' regs. They are now merely recommended for 2006 but will be obligatory in 2007.
Apparently the airco will not be enforced in 2007 either, at least not for closed LMP cars.
Quote:
Is the installation of an air conditioning system inside the car a problem?

« No, it's not, but in fact we don't have to use an A/C unit. If the air temperature inside the cockpit is not too high, we don't have to have one. The problem is for front engined GT cars. In the 908, it won’t be hot. »
source: http://www.endurance-info.com/article.php?sid=2847
Old 13 Nov 2006, 11:06 (Ref:1764826)   #90
old man
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Does Air Con rule apply to GT cars?
Old 13 Nov 2006, 11:11 (Ref:1764831)   #91
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hmm, I dont know but I dont think it was mandatory for the 2006 race. As we all know however Corvette have been running a air conditioning system for years.
Old 13 Nov 2006, 12:44 (Ref:1764936)   #92
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SALEEN S7R
Hmm, I dont know but I dont think it was mandatory for the 2006 race.
It was recommended in 2006, although the rules in the beginning of the year stated it is compulsory. In 2007 it is supposed to become mandatory.
Old 13 Nov 2006, 12:47 (Ref:1764939)   #93
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From the ACO LMGT1 regs:

ART 14.6 – Temperature inside the cockpit :

The ambient temperature around the driver :
- must not be higher than 30°C (86°F) whatever the
temperature on the outside when the car is in motion ;
- must go back down to 30°C in 5 minutes maximum
after a stop of the car.
An efficient air conditioning system comprising a compressor, a
condenser, a pressure reducer and an evaporator is compulsory
for the closed cars. It must be described on the homologation
form and approved by the ACO.
Application : recommended in 2006 and mandatory as from
01/01/07.
In 2006, if the car is not equipped with an air conditioning
system, the cockpit must be effectively ventilated. The
ambient temperature around the driver will be monitoring
during the events and the results will be given to the
competitors for information.
Old 13 Nov 2006, 13:44 (Ref:1764984)   #94
old man
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thanks for that, a lot of cars will require changes then
Old 14 Nov 2006, 02:57 (Ref:1765474)   #95
chewymonster
Veteran

chewymonster should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This thread was an insteresting read.
Old 14 Nov 2006, 05:58 (Ref:1765519)   #96
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SALEEN S7R
Hmm, I dont know but I dont think it was mandatory for the 2006 race. As we all know however Corvette have been running a air conditioning system for years.
An A/C system or do you mean cooler suits ? I wasnt aware they had been using A/C ..... since when ?
Old 14 Nov 2006, 08:10 (Ref:1765571)   #97
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
I also thought they just had cool suits and helmet ventilation.