Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 26 Dec 2014, 13:43 (Ref:3487962)   #76
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
they won't but maybe putting in two entry requests might strengthen the bid for their first car.
Old 26 Dec 2014, 20:13 (Ref:3487988)   #77
Pontlieue
Racer

Pontlieue should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPontlieue should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://sportscar365.com/lemans/leman...ions-released/

So 70 cars are allowed to take part in the test day, but the race is restricted to 56 cars. Where do they put the 14 extra cars, and why is it impossible for the race?
Old 26 Dec 2014, 20:38 (Ref:3487991)   #78
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
i think that includes lmp3 cars
Old 27 Dec 2014, 18:34 (Ref:3488125)   #79
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Champion Porsche/Audi territory
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontlieue View Post
http://sportscar365.com/lemans/leman...ions-released/

A) Where do they put the 14 extra cars,

B) and why is it impossible for the race?
A) 'Doesn't matter...they're not racing.

B) There are only 56 pit stalls (boxes)..they are racing.

jimclark
Old 1 Jan 2015, 20:28 (Ref:3489274)   #80
ATLFalconsFAN
Veteran

United States
Stockton, CA
ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!
Vipers back at La Sarthe? Yes please!

http://www.racer.com/wec-le-mans/ite...s-viper-return
Old 1 Jan 2015, 21:22 (Ref:3489291)   #81
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It would be an amazing feel-good story.

Easier said than done to pull together the funding. Impressive Riley has managed to keep that whole team together over the winter. They must feel like they have a shot...
Old 1 Jan 2015, 23:58 (Ref:3489331)   #82
jasonjessica09
Veteran

jasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
It would be an amazing feel-good story.

Easier said than done to pull together the funding. Impressive Riley has managed to keep that whole team together over the winter. They must feel like they have a shot...
If they can even make it to Le Mans then it will be on of the best sportscar stories of the year when we look back at 2015 no doubt. Make it happen Riley we are cheering for ya.
Old 2 Jan 2015, 08:06 (Ref:3489456)   #83
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
It is a lovely dream and let us all hope we will see the vipers back where they belong and more importantly we will all hear them again racing through the french countryside
Old 2 Jan 2015, 12:45 (Ref:3489495)   #84
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
There might be some unhappy ELMS entrants if a one off entry gets a place in the race over them. But I hope that is what happens. There are enough ear-bleeding Ferraris running around already.
Old 2 Jan 2015, 13:35 (Ref:3489506)   #85
Samoan Attorney
Veteran

Samoan Attorney should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSamoan Attorney should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSamoan Attorney should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike E View Post
There might be some unhappy ELMS entrants if a one off entry gets a place in the race over them. But I hope that is what happens. There are enough ear-bleeding Ferraris running around already.
And that is how you start to lose cars ie. customers in the ELMS. Most teams base their season on being able to spread their fixed costs over the ELMS and Le Mans, it become problematical otherwise. From the driver's perspective, those wealthy enough to afford ELMS would also want to drive at Le Mans, so teams need to offer a reasonable expectation of fulfilling this.

There are no easy solutions, other than the ACO to get their fingers out and build some more pit boxes.

Last edited by Samoan Attorney; 2 Jan 2015 at 13:57.
Old 2 Jan 2015, 14:17 (Ref:3489514)   #86
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samoan Attorney View Post
And that is how you start to lose cars ie. customers in the ELMS. Most teams base their season on being able to spread their fixed costs over the ELMS and Le Mans, it become problematical otherwise. From the driver's perspective, those wealthy enough to afford ELMS would also want to drive at Le Mans, so teams need to offer a reasonable expectation of fulfilling this.

There are no easy solutions, other than the ACO to get their fingers out and build some more pit boxes.
Very valid point! The most suggested solution doesn't sound overly complex if you ask me. You know the pitlane area much better than I do John but I believe there's a bit of space at the end of the pitlane that could be made available to more pitboxes - even temporary ones for this year - if the Parc Ferme area can be moved to the entrance area of pitlane i.e. south/south-east side of the tower.

Another - more complex - solution could be (re-)introducing partial qualifying: non auto invites* have to qualify in order to get into the race. That way more cars can be invited and the best teams/cars will prevail. I'm aware of sponsorship issues that may be caused by teams showing up for the big race and ultimately being not allowed in and send home but I feel this type of qualifying is more transparent than the current 'pick-and-choose-system' that's being used by the ACO for a number of years now.

[* this could even include 2nd car WEC entries from the same team that haven't run full-time in ACO competition yet or are introducing a new car or something]

The qualifying system could be supported or replaced by a ranking system where entrants can score points for years participated in ACO series (including LM), full time and/or multiple cars commitment, etc. Just a thought.
Old 3 Jan 2015, 14:43 (Ref:3489720)   #87
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
A possible ELMS/WEC/LM program for Beechdean Aston.

http://sportscar365.com/lemans/elms/...ng-gte-effort/
Old 3 Jan 2015, 15:04 (Ref:3489722)   #88
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
Would be nice to see them there but i suspect the GT places for this years le mans will be very hard to get unless they do a full wec programme
Old 3 Jan 2015, 16:32 (Ref:3489734)   #89
Giba
Racer

United Kingdom
Leeds
Giba should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sadly for Beechdean, as it looks like that some full season ELMS entries will not get Le Mans entries then a mix and match schedule probably will mean that they will not get an entry.
Old 3 Jan 2015, 16:38 (Ref:3489735)   #90
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
That is why they need to commit to a WEC programme, even if they pull out after the european rounds
Old 3 Jan 2015, 18:47 (Ref:3489757)   #91
Coach Ep
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
That is why they need to commit to a WEC programme, even if they pull out after the european rounds
I'm sure they're not the only ones to consider that kind of strategy, however the WEC entry cap will not allow every application made in - and even if they do get in, pulling out basically halfway thru the championship will probably backfire with the ACO in the years after.

And don't forget the entry fee for the WEC is substantial.
Old 3 Jan 2015, 18:59 (Ref:3489760)   #92
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I might be missing something but I can't see any Le Mans intent this year from Beechdean? Andrew Howard said on Twitter that 2016 was the aim - and that they would look to do ELMS Silverstone. He doesn't think they'd get on the grid for the WEC race.

Looks like that story was written purely from Twitter interactions.

https://twitter.com/BeechdeanAH/with_replies
Old 4 Jan 2015, 09:44 (Ref:3489825)   #93
Samoan Attorney
Veteran

Samoan Attorney should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSamoan Attorney should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSamoan Attorney should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post
I'm sure they're not the only ones to consider that kind of strategy, however the WEC entry cap will not allow every application made in - and even if they do get in, pulling out basically halfway thru the championship will probably backfire with the ACO in the years after.

And don't forget the entry fee for the WEC is substantial.
There is a penalty for missing FIA WEC rounds if you are entered for the full season, I think it is €48,000 per event...........and, as you say, the ACO have long memories when it comes to those who break the rules.
Old 7 Jan 2015, 18:01 (Ref:3490741)   #94
Giba
Racer

United Kingdom
Leeds
With less than a month until the le mans entry list is revealed here's my thoughts on what the le mans entry could look like with some thoughts.

LMP1 (14 cars)
Toyota Racing (x2 WEC)
Audi Sport Team Joest (x2 WEC)
Audi Sport Team Joest (x1 extra)
Porsche Team (x2 WEC)
Porsche Team (x1 extra)
Nissan (x2 WEC)
Nissan (x1 extra)
Rebellion Racing (x2 WEC)
Lotus (x1 WEC)

Not much to say about LMP1 apart from I think Lotus will be there and it's great thinking about 11 factory LMP1's racing round le mans in JUne

LMP2 (18 cars)
Strakka Racing (x1 WEC)
SMP Racing (x2 WEC)
G-Drive Racing (x1 WEC)
ESM (x2 WEC)
Morand Racing (x1 WEC)
KCMG (x1 WEC)
Krohn Racing (x1)
Jota Sport (x1)
Signatech-Alpine (x1)
Greaves Motorsport (x1)
Race Performance (x1)
OAK Racing Team Total (x1)
Murphy Prototypes (x1)
Pegasus Racing (x1)
Thiriet by TDS Racing (x1)
OAK Racing (x1)

The most difficult category to decide for with all the potential entries, the limits the WEC entry and thinking that there will only be 32 prototypes on the grid (same number as 2008 which I think was the most in recent years). Also I don't think that WTR or IMSA who are looking at being in P2 will be on the grid sadly.

GTE Pro (9 cars)
AF Corse (x2 WEC)
Corvette Racing (x2)
Aston Martin Racing (x2 WEC)
Porsche Team Manthey (x2 WEC)
Riley Viper (x1)

I think that the ACO will accept one of the Riley Vipers to add to the list of manufactures present in the race. Will it annoy a number of other entries, yes but the choice of a PRO Viper or an AM Ferrari and I think the ACO will choice the former.

GTE AM (15 cars)
AF Corse (x2 WEC)
AF Corse (x1 extra)
Aston Martin Racing (x2 WEC)
Dempsey Proton Racing (x1 WEC)
ProSpeed Competition (x1 WEC)
SMP Racing (x1 WEC)
SMP Racing (x1 extra)
Proton Competition (x1)
JMW Motorsport — Ferrari F458 GTE (x1)
Scuderia Corsa (x1)
ASP (x1)
AAI Motorsports (x1)
Gulf Racing UK (x1)
Old 7 Jan 2015, 19:06 (Ref:3490763)   #95
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Good and logical looking list I think. Agree with pretty much all of it. Lots of good teams will be forced to run a single car in P2.

I'm hoping Risi will stick in a pro entry and that we'll get a bit of a left-field surprise somewhere.
Old 7 Jan 2015, 19:33 (Ref:3490770)   #96
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
The list comes to 56 but there will only be 55 allowed to race when you consider the garage 56 entry
Old 7 Jan 2015, 19:43 (Ref:3490773)   #97
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
The list comes to 56 but there will only be 55 allowed to race when you consider the garage 56 entry
My understanding is there's no 'traditional' G56 entry this year so there'll be an extra conventional entry instead.

Seems logical - makes no sense to have the spare garage go to waste.
Old 7 Jan 2015, 20:07 (Ref:3490783)   #98
Maverick248
Rookie

France
Paris
Maverick248 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for the list.

LMP1 list is fantastic, I hope that the CLM/Lotus will be present. Same thing for the Viper.

For LMP2 category, G-Drive will not engage a second car ?
Old 8 Jan 2015, 09:39 (Ref:3490930)   #99
Giba
Racer

United Kingdom
Leeds
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick248 View Post
Thanks for the list.

LMP1 list is fantastic, I hope that the CLM/Lotus will be present. Same thing for the Viper.

For LMP2 category, G-Drive will not engage a second car ?

When trying to pick the WEC entries I had an extra one and thought that if when the ACO pick the WEC entries and have to not accept an entry it would be from a multi car team and it wouldn't be a factory P1 or GTE PRO car and to keep the balance on the grid of prototypes and GT cars I got rid of the second car from G-Drive.

That being said, depending on what luxury car maker is supplying the engines to G-Drive it might be in the ACO's interest to accept both G-Drive entries and not accept another entry.

All in all, It's a very difficult job on the ACO's hands.
Old 8 Jan 2015, 14:50 (Ref:3490977)   #100
Maverick248
Rookie

France
Paris
Maverick248 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ok, gold idea. I didn't think to that.