Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

View Poll Results: Do you agree with the current noise rule ?
Yes, I agree. 19 54.29%
No, I do not agree. 16 45.71%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old 19 Nov 2008, 13:26 (Ref:2337618)   #26
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj choc ice
the joy of sportscar racing is the wall of sound of 50 unsilenced sportscars blasting past, you can feel the noise in your chest and quite frankly its a ****ing awesome feeling, it is truly inspiring to get to witness a judd GV4 engined LMP scream past, or a unsilenced 996 GT3 RSR, woooft now that was an amazing sound.

compared to the more seasoned posters on here who have witnessed the gloden era of sports car racing in the group C and 3.5 litre era, i cant say much but what i will say is this, i am NOT inspired by whispering silenced race cars, i am inspired by ear shredding, flame spitting screaming monsters, dome S101 judd GV4 V10, Pescarolo C60 hybrid with the old 5.0 V10, Zytek 04S, Panoz GTR1, lamborghini murcielago RGT, porsche 996 GT3 RSR, mazda 787B, ferrari 333SP, mercedes CLR, Jaguar XJR14 and Spyker C8 Targa GT.

to me those cars are the be all and end all, these are stunning race cars, they look fabulous, they make your jaw drop in awe, they put a big huge grin your face when they blast past, and do you know what? this is what race cars should be, they should make people go "****ing hell!!!" or "WOOOOAAAAHHHH!!!!", cars like above have character, they have soul and by being loud and barmy these cars have fans and followers now.
Agree 100%.

I know it's the racing that counts, but you just can't beat a big ol' screaming/thumping engine. Heck, that even got me hooked on sportscar racing in the first place.

The noise is one of sportscar racing's big 'wow' factors - noises you just don't get in single seater series (I've nearly fallen asleep during F3 and FFord races sometimes) or touring cars. The old screaming Judds, all the big thumping V8's and wild V12's all pounding at your chest is one of Le Mans' magical elements. Yes, it's an "added extra", because the racing is what counts, but it's something I'll sorely miss.

I have noted in the FIA GT championship this year and last year at Silverstone, seeing obvious newbies to the sport enter the gates during warmups and/or practice sessions - when cars like Corvettes and Murcielagos shot past their jaws fell wide open in astonishment. I even heard people near me shouting "woooah!" etc. You don't go see GT racing to watch sleek quiet cars, you go there to see big, untamed fire-breathing monsters.

I guess the ACO anticipated discussions like this, though, and say if we are all real fans of this sport then we'll get used to it. But I struggle to get enough time off when I want to attend something like Le Mans - new rules like this are far more likely to dampen my enthusiasm and efforts. I'll obviously still go, but it won't quite be the same.

Last edited by TheNewBob; 19 Nov 2008 at 13:29.
Old 19 Nov 2008, 14:00 (Ref:2337642)   #27
SebringMG
Veteran

United Kingdom
SebringMG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Disagree entirely - those wanting unsilenced race cars are just as bad in their own way as the NIMBYs....like it or not a compromise is best, 110-112 is still loud enough thank you without spoiling the aural pleasure.

I would quite like to be able to speak to my friends and young nephew at a race without having to shout too loudly....is that too much to ask?
Old 19 Nov 2008, 14:49 (Ref:2337662)   #28
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SebringMG
Disagree entirely - those wanting unsilenced race cars are just as bad in their own way as the NIMBY
Whats a nimby please ?

[/QUOTE]I would quite like to be able to speak to my friends and young nephew at a race without having to shout too loudly....is that too much to ask?[/QUOTE]

As a matter of fact , yes it is !!!

Your just like one of these anti-smoking people , just cuz people with an attitude like that didnt like it , we all have to tow the line .

Did people ever scream about a Ferrari V12 ...... no . Motorsport is by nature loud , and if you dont like that I suggest you stay at home and let the rest of us appreciate it , enjoy it at least . Is that too much to ask ?

Yakonw , one day people are going to start sueing the local governments because they got wet at the beach .

If you dont like getting wet , stay away from the beach is the natural answer , is it not , not try to change it cuz you dont like it .

Engines are noisey ..... fact of life !!!
Old 19 Nov 2008, 15:12 (Ref:2337673)   #29
mattcat
Veteran

United States
West Palm Beach, FL
mattcat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have to agree with Badger on this one. If you don't like the noise, then don't go to the race.

I remember the first sports car race I went to ('01 24 Hours of Daytona), the thing that made the biggest impression on me was that it was loud as hell; in particular, the Marcos Mantis which shook the earth as it went by (god what a sweet sound). That hooked me.

If you don't like noise, maybe watching the TV is a good option.
Old 19 Nov 2008, 15:29 (Ref:2337680)   #30
werner
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam, the Netherlands
werner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwerner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger
Whats a nimby please ?!!!
Not In My BackYard, a person who opposes things that are usefull for the general public, but annoying for some persons living closeby. Garbagedumps or airports are examples, everybody agees we need them, but nobody wants them close to their home.

Quote:
Uhh, Silencers and diesels have proven that is not the case.

Everybody has different reasons why they like motorsports. Some want to watch it for the drivers, other for the cars, a third for his interest in the technology, some for the speed, someone else for the fights and others want to see crashes. Luckily there are several forms of motorsports to cater for all these needs. For star drivers there is F1, cars fighting wheel to wheel can be seen in touringcarraces, IRL-cars reach 400kp/h and NASCARs crash all the time. Now that leaves 2 holes for interesting technology and for mouthwatering cars. These are IMO best filled by sportscars and GT's.
It is really the spirit of Le Mans to think of better ways to make the cars faster in difficult circumstances. The 24h race was originally started to test light on cars. I have no problem with challenge the builders of these cars with all kind of challenges, for instance a limit on noise, fueluse or tyrewear. As long as manufacturers get the opportunity to be creative in solving their puzzle.
For GT's it's another story. They have only 1 thing to do, and that is to make you think:'I want to drive one of those!' Loud noise and flames and big engines are important ways of reaching that goal, and thus should be allowed.
My conclusion: noisereduction on prototypes: ok, on GT's: not ok.
Old 19 Nov 2008, 15:33 (Ref:2337684)   #31
Satorian
Veteran

European Union
Satorian has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattcat
If you don't like the noise, then don't go to the race.
Yeah, because a race has got nothing to do with, like, racing.

Quote:
If you don't like noise, maybe watching the TV is a good option.
If you like noise, maybe using a hearing aid might be a good option.
Old 19 Nov 2008, 15:52 (Ref:2337692)   #32
Satorian
Veteran

European Union
Quote:
Your just like one of these anti-smoking people , just cuz people with an attitude like that didnt like it , we all have to tow the line .
"Regarding quieter racing you are just like one of those anti-smoking people. Just because you don't like it, we all have to toe the line."

Quote:
Motorsport is by nature loud ,
I suspect that the first cars being raced weren't very loud, having had only a few BHP.

Quote:
and if you dont like that I suggest you stay at home
"And if you don't like it, I suggest you get a hearing aid."

Quote:
"Fact" of life? Don't think so. We are humans. We use tools to shape the world the way we want to as much as we manage to. There are no "facts" about what an engine has to be like. Also, the statement as exclusively qualitative evaluation makes no sense. Volume is a quantitative measure, which means engines don't have to be only noisy or silent. There's a lot of (subjective) room between those labels.
Old 19 Nov 2008, 15:58 (Ref:2337696)   #33
Hugewally
Veteran

United States
Largo, FL USA
Hugewally should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If 'quieter' racing means that racing will survive and continue, then I'm for 'quieter' racing. The alternatives aren't too pleasing - ie, shutting down tracks.
Old 19 Nov 2008, 16:24 (Ref:2337708)   #34
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by werner
Not In My BackYard, a person who opposes things that are usefull for the general public, but annoying for some persons living closeby. Garbagedumps or airports are examples, everybody agees we need them, but nobody wants them close to their home.
I would just add this, that most 'NIMBYs' are also Johnny come lately's. They have purchased or moved to an area where these things where already taking place and now are trying to get them legislated/ordinanced(new word) into oblivion!

As to the noise regulation, even at 110db the cars can still be felt, much less heard. If you must have it louder your deaf already and probably need hearing aids! Get some, then you can turn them up 'til your ears bleed.

L.P.
Old 19 Nov 2008, 16:51 (Ref:2337720)   #35
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ear plugs work well.
Old 19 Nov 2008, 16:59 (Ref:2337725)   #36
Hugewally
Veteran

United States
Largo, FL USA
Doesn't solve the source of the problem now does it?
Old 19 Nov 2008, 17:04 (Ref:2337727)   #37
Satorian
Veteran

European Union
Quote:
Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Ear plugs work well.
They also change the sound very substantially, unless you fork out a lot of money for musician's plugs with linear dampening.
Old 19 Nov 2008, 17:15 (Ref:2337735)   #38
mattcat
Veteran

United States
West Palm Beach, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satorian
Yeah, because a race has got nothing to do with, like, racing.
In fact, it has everything to do with racing. Right now, most racing engines which produce high levels of horsepower are indeed loud. Why should that have to be changed because it bothers a few people?

People need to understand that racing is a competition that occurs between people on the track, to the regulations set forth by the sanctioning body. It is what it is. Trying to amend everything so that it pleases every fan is not in the best interest of the sport. If the engines are loud, then they're loud. Deal with it.
Old 19 Nov 2008, 17:32 (Ref:2337751)   #39
Hugewally
Veteran

United States
Largo, FL USA
Quote:
They also change the sound very substantially, unless you fork out a lot of money for musician's plugs with linear dampening.
Still, they don't solve the source of the problem.
Quote:
In fact, it has everything to do with racing. Right now, most racing engines which produce high levels of horsepower are indeed loud. Why should that have to be changed because it bothers a few people?

People need to understand that racing is a competition that occurs between people on the track, to the regulations set forth by the sanctioning body. It is what it is. Trying to amend everything so that it pleases every fan is not in the best interest of the sport. If the engines are loud, then they're loud. Deal with it.
Somehow I don't think these new rules are meant in anyway to please the fans at all. Its those outside the tracks that are the concern. You know, those other taxpayers that it does bother - back to the NIMBYs.

Last edited by Hugewally; 19 Nov 2008 at 17:35.
Old 19 Nov 2008, 17:36 (Ref:2337755)   #40
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

The point being that 112db is loud!!! This fractious litany to prove ones point is pointless!
I think it can safely be said that most, if not 100%, of the members here do not wish to have racing take place at the db level of the diesels! But to not realize that shaving some off the top in order to keep the NIMBYs at bay is a good thing, is, not dealing with it.

L.P.
Old 19 Nov 2008, 17:51 (Ref:2337762)   #41
Satorian
Veteran

European Union
Quote:

The noise is completely accessory to the racing, not vital to it. Racing cars don't have to be loud to be quick and engines don't have to be loud to be powerful. It's not the car's sound volume that makes it quick. And as as the noise is not vital to the racing itself, I don't mind it being modified to suit a variety of other interests. If it helps making the sport sustainable in our current given economic, ecologic, financial and social environment, so much for the better.
Old 19 Nov 2008, 21:16 (Ref:2337902)   #42
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I use ear plus, and speed tape to hold them in place under my helmet when I race. Still LOUD from inside the cockpit
Old 19 Nov 2008, 21:18 (Ref:2337906)   #43
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
"Regarding quieter racing you are just like one of those anti-smoking people. Just because you don't like it, we all have to toe the line."
Ahha smartass ..... Im not the one who is wanting to change it , am I ?
Old 19 Nov 2008, 21:59 (Ref:2337944)   #44
Satorian
Veteran

European Union
Quote:
Ahha smartass ..... Im not the one who is wanting to change it , am I ?
The line isn't about whether the preferred option has to be changed to. It's about a perceived minority dictating circumstances for the whole. It's nonsense in both directions without proper statistical evaluation that would give a basis to those claims.
Old 19 Nov 2008, 23:23 (Ref:2338036)   #45
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
Friend of mine use to work for GM. He went out to the proving gounds and saw a bunch of the new Chevy Volt eletric cars running.

When the tests were over, a bunch of the drivers went out and starting racing around the track.

My friend said those little electric cars had lots of torque and were very quick, but NO SOUND. Just wooshing air as they passed by.
Old 20 Nov 2008, 13:24 (Ref:2338299)   #46
mattcat
Veteran

United States
West Palm Beach, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Friend of mine use to work for GM. He went out to the proving gounds and saw a bunch of the new Chevy Volt eletric cars running.

When the tests were over, a bunch of the drivers went out and starting racing around the track.

My friend said those little electric cars had lots of torque and were very quick, but NO SOUND. Just wooshing air as they passed by.
And really, does anyone find that exciting? Race cars are supposed to make NOISE!

Ok, the first time I saw the Audi R10 in competition, I was impressed. Then, when I saw the Peugeot, which is even quieter, I was equally impressed. It's interesting to see that power can be attained quietly, yes, but cars should be distinctive in the sounds (or lack thereof) that they produce. Having a few virtually silent cars on the track is a good thing, I think, but they need to be intermixed with the screaming Zytek engines, or the earth-shaking Corvettes. Variety is the spice of life, don't take away the magic from the loud boys.
Old 20 Nov 2008, 13:36 (Ref:2338307)   #47
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
The noise is completely accessory to the racing, not vital to it. Racing cars don't have to be loud to be quick and engines don't have to be loud to be powerful. It's not the car's sound volume that makes it quick. And as as the noise is not vital to the racing itself, I don't mind it being modified to suit a variety of other interests. If it helps making the sport sustainable in our current given economic, ecologic, financial and social environment, so much for the better.
I'm sorry but I really struggle to agree with this one. What you say is absolutely true, but there's no way I'd eat treacle sponge pudding without custard.......
Old 20 Nov 2008, 13:41 (Ref:2338313)   #48
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
Quote:
And really, does anyone find that exciting? Race cars are supposed to make NOISE!
YES they are. LOUD is GOOD
Old 20 Nov 2008, 14:36 (Ref:2338330)   #49
Satorian
Veteran

European Union
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi
I'm sorry but I really struggle to agree with this one. What you say is absolutely true, but there's no way I'd eat treacle sponge pudding without custard.......
Would you stop going to the cinema if no popcorn was sold there?
Old 20 Nov 2008, 15:44 (Ref:2338362)   #50
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Would you stop going to the cinema if no popcorn was sold there?
Would you stop going to the cinema if there was no sound?