Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 18 Mar 2008, 23:25 (Ref:2156056)   #1
minimangler
Veteran

Wales
Leftfield, somewhere.
minimangler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Best looking LMP?

I know we all like a debate, and these normally appear in the off season when we have nothing better to do, but I've been doing a bit or reminiscing and come up with a thought- what's the best looking of the "LMPs"?

I'm gonna make a case for 3.

RML Lola ex257

I mean...what else can you say?

Courage LC70

The skeletal look- i like my girls curvy, and my cars skinny. haha.

Peugeot 908

There is nothing, nothing, in the new crop of coupes that can match this- the only fault is that chunky rear end. I might be alone, but i love the nose.

Lister Storm (1st gen)

I must be the only one, but i love it, especially the nose radiator ducts.

So, thoughts?

Just missing out are the Audi R10, which is delicious, the Zytek 04s (same theory as the LC70 really) and the Snobeck- this cheeky looking thing is a bit of an odd one, but i love the low deck. http://www.mulsannescorner.com/snobeck.html

Incidentally, on the bad list are the Acura, the god-awful RS Spyder, the Caddy Northstar and the second gen Lister Storm.

Last edited by minimangler; 18 Mar 2008 at 23:29.
Old 18 Mar 2008, 23:44 (Ref:2156067)   #2
Graz
Veteran

Ireland
Graz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
My favourite and it's a bit of an oldie is the Ferrari 333SP - does this count? I just think it's far more simple and conventional looking than the current crop which can look a bit over designed. Great sound from the V12 too.

The new Lola Coupe would give the Peugeot a run for its money looks wise I think.
Old 19 Mar 2008, 00:07 (Ref:2156083)   #3
PorscheFanNo1
Veteran

Sweden
Winner's Circle
PorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I've been drooling over this photo from mulsannescorner for a long time, thinking its one of the most brutal rear ends I've ever seen:

Old 19 Mar 2008, 00:10 (Ref:2156086)   #4
minimangler
Veteran

Wales
Leftfield, somewhere.
thats how it goes...Lister, in black, with the colours...heaven.
Old 19 Mar 2008, 03:08 (Ref:2156172)   #5
Kai
Racer

United States
San Francisco
Kai has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Definitely love the LC70's and Pug's (especially in their new livery), but I think the Zytek and RS Spyder are awesome when done right (Arena & Dyson respectively).
Old 19 Mar 2008, 03:20 (Ref:2156175)   #6
cptkablamo
Veteran

Australia
cptkablamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcptkablamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I like the Acuras (particularly the Fernandez one), the Lola B2K (particularly the Rafanelli Olive Garden), the Pilbeam MP93 (for some reason), Radical, Ferrari 333SP
Actually there are not many that I don't like!
Old 19 Mar 2008, 03:27 (Ref:2156179)   #7
TRuss
Veteran

TRuss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTRuss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I guess for modern stuff I'd chose the Epsilon. For older BMW LMR.
Old 19 Mar 2008, 03:35 (Ref:2156183)   #8
davehenrie
Racer

United States
Post Falls Idaho(up in the Skinny part)
davehenrie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddavehenrie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I like protos that I can spot in an instant. Usually this means paint as much as shape. The shape of the Acura(we say Ack You Rah in the States...the motors guys sounded like they were saying Uh-Kira) Patrone Highcroft with it's GREEN nose is clearly one of the most visible cars right now. RML is way better than Quiffel, because the bright paint scheme allows it to be idenified quickly.

The Pug stands out only because it's the ONLY closed top right now. All the other new enclosed cars I've only seen black carbon fibre so it's not easy to clearly get a look at the shapes. As more topped cars take to the track, the Pug will blend in more.

I've always been a Lola fan, from the old Can AM cars to the CHampcar to the Sportscars. For some reason, the B05/40 even with it's mandated double roll hoops and raised ride height looks better to me than the older RML Ex257. I dunno why. The Spyder looks boxy.
Rating the current LMP2 cars, Lola, Radical, Zytek, Acura, Courage, Porsche, Pescarolo . Although I can't count how many times the Sebring Motorsport guys spotted the Zytek and mis-identified it.

Another oddity. The nose piece. The Courage C-65 had an open snout,(As does Porsche) and the Lola B05/40 had a nice pointed nose(similar to Zytek, Creation) But when Acura rebuilt the C-65 they closed the nose while at the same time Lola put out an Aero kit that opened the nose. wierd how they both went in different directions.

I like the unique colors of the AutoCon Creation, although it's painful to watch it struggle. I would like to see the Pug get a Bald Eagle treatment. Like the Gurney Eagles of Champcar or the Jordan's of F1. That front Beak could blend into the white mane of the canopy. IT could be cool. Some fierce, beady eyes near the windscreen. lol!

The old Miracle Motorsports C65 with it's Jean Richard Watch scheme was an eye-catching car. Pescarolo's 2nd gen cars with the Green Playstation colors were good as were the blue Playstation Chrysler Dallara's. lol!!! Have I missed any of them?
dave
Old 19 Mar 2008, 03:41 (Ref:2156185)   #9
bludvl_x19
Veteran

Australia
umop apisdn
bludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Noone has mentioned the Crocodile R8 yet, guess that makes me the first. Before I get flamed, the car does look too busy when its going, but to look and see the touble that the designers have gone to in order to make the sponsors logos blend into the design are really quite goo.

Mick
Old 19 Mar 2008, 06:18 (Ref:2156240)   #10
Splendid Cat
Racer

Splendid Cat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Olive Garden Lola Judd
Old 19 Mar 2008, 06:43 (Ref:2156249)   #11
nobster
Veteran

Netherlands
Eindhoven, de gekste!!!!
nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!
Interesting topic, what ever happened to the Snobeck? Can't remember it.
Old 19 Mar 2008, 07:25 (Ref:2156269)   #12
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
I reckon the Courage LC70 is one of the best looking LMP's around , and what Acura have done to it makes it look even better !!!
Old 19 Mar 2008, 07:32 (Ref:2156272)   #13
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
As much of a Lister fan as I am, I still just can't like the LMP. The rear does look pretty good but the rest of it somehow didn't look right. I didn't mind the update they came out with in late '05, though.

Of the newer cars? I'm really liking the Dome S102 and the Lola-Aston. I don't mind the Embassy either. Audi and Peugeot were beaten badly with the ugly stick in comparison, IMO!

Older LMP's, I really like the Dome S101, particularly with the lower rear wing on the back like in this piccy from LM '04:

http://www.racingsportscars.com/phot...-06-13-015.jpg

I'd also have to vote for the Ferrari 333SP as well.

What do I dislike from the collection of older cars? I'd say Courage C36 and the WR's of the last decade or so.
Old 19 Mar 2008, 10:35 (Ref:2156374)   #14
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Well , If your going back a few years ..... The Riley & Scott MK.3 and MK.3C really does it for me , along with lovely engine sounds from Judd , Oldsmobile and Ford ..... my favourite chassis overall ,

http://www.racingsportscars.com/phot...-03-16-004.jpg
Old 19 Mar 2008, 10:49 (Ref:2156379)   #15
Dead-Eye
Veteran

Estonia
Dead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm surprised no one mentioned the Bentley Speed 8 yet. That thing is just beautiful.
Old 19 Mar 2008, 12:27 (Ref:2156439)   #16
Jimbob-18
Rookie

United Kingdom
England
Jimbob-18 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gotta be the Charouz LMP1 Aston. That is the best looking car in a long while, although i do like the RS Spyders and the Zyteks as a whole. I do not like the Courage LC70 though, espacially in last year's livery.
Old 19 Mar 2008, 13:13 (Ref:2156461)   #17
1969MGCGTdriver
Racer

United States
Orlando, FL, USA
1969MGCGTdriver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
...the original MG EX-257 in the X-Power livery
Old 19 Mar 2008, 14:08 (Ref:2156510)   #18
The Real DMN
Racer

England
North Yorkshire
The Real DMN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ah yes, the MG Works cars, the cars that destroyed Rover:

http://www.racingsportscars.com/phot...-06-16-027.jpg

A great looking car.

I'm also a big fan of the Panoz cars, purely because they were different to nearly everything else:
http://www.racingsportscars.com/phot...-06-15-012.jpg
Old 19 Mar 2008, 14:18 (Ref:2156516)   #19
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
The Panoz was so different both in looks and construction and it gets high marks from me, but I think it is always better to be different than blend in.
Old 19 Mar 2008, 14:43 (Ref:2156536)   #20
minimangler
Veteran

Wales
Leftfield, somewhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewBob
I didn't mind the update they came out with in late '05, though.
ARE YOU BLIND, MAN?!?!

Old 19 Mar 2008, 16:16 (Ref:2156580)   #21
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
PascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splendid Cat
Olive Garden Lola Judd
I won't come back on what I think about this thing.
But I really like the Dome 101.
Old 19 Mar 2008, 17:14 (Ref:2156607)   #22
gucom
Racer

gucom should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The more I look at it, the more I like the Peugeot 908, especially in its new livery... If this design / aero direction can attract enough manufacturers and fans, I wouldn't mind anymore if this were to be the future...

Other cars that come to mind:
-Audi R8 (prepares to get flamed), and indeed especially the croc car looked very cool
-Bentley, but not the 2003 version, only the version with the teardrop cockpit (2001 and ¿2002?)
-Courage LC70
-I quite liked the WR's for standing out, not so much the latest one though...
-Panoz LMP1 was just awesome in concept and appearance

I quite dislike the nose of all modern Lola's which look to me as if they're supposed to scape something off the surface (referring to front fender part)... and the B08/60 makes it look even more awkward IMO (prepares to get double-flamed...)
Old 19 Mar 2008, 17:38 (Ref:2156619)   #23
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger
Well , If your going back a few years ..... The Riley & Scott MK.3 and MK.3C really does it for me , along with lovely engine sounds from Judd , Oldsmobile and Ford ..... my favourite chassis overall ,

http://www.racingsportscars.com/phot...-03-16-004.jpg
My favourite LMP is probably the Rafanelli Riley Mk III, with the BMW-engine.
http://racingsportscars.com/photo/19...-05-17-003.jpg
Old 19 Mar 2008, 19:42 (Ref:2156697)   #24
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by minimangler
ARE YOU BLIND, MAN?!?!

No, just awkward! I thought the original front end of the Lister LMP was hideous. I'm not saying the later versions were particularly pretty, just better than the early one. The rollhoop on the early one was pretty horrific-looking, too.

Doesn't look all that bad from this piccy, actually...
http://www.racingsportscars.com/phot...-08-14-006.jpg
Old 19 Mar 2008, 21:45 (Ref:2156773)   #25
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
My favorite all time is the Panoz LMP-01, followed closely by the R&S Mk.III.

My current favorite is the Zytek 07S followed closely by the Acuras.