Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 27 Nov 2003, 15:43 (Ref:796174)   #1
Smokey 6 litre
Veteran

England
The Total Perspective Vortex
Smokey 6 litre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
refraction question?

i was wondering whether it is possible to have a car with a window, split in two, and angled either side?

im not sure how well these picture illustrate the question but is it allowed, or possible.

So far i've worked out that the refraction through glass always comes out paralell to the way it went in (assuming the both sides of the glass are paralell.

The image is poor but does anyone know what im talking about?
Attached Thumbnails
sde.jpg  
Old 27 Nov 2003, 15:44 (Ref:796175)   #2
Smokey 6 litre
Veteran

England
This what my car would look like...an evil Toyota GT1!
Attached Images

Old 27 Nov 2003, 15:45 (Ref:796177)   #3
Smokey 6 litre
Veteran

England
finally!
Attached Thumbnails
gggg.jpg  
Old 27 Nov 2003, 15:51 (Ref:796182)   #4
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
You mean like this?

Last edited by paul-collins; 27 Nov 2003 at 15:51.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 27 Nov 2003, 16:03 (Ref:796192)   #5
Gilles
Racer

European Union
Le Manshire - the 87th British county
Gilles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Definitely yes because a DB Panhard already run Le Mans in the early 60's with such a window.

... it's not the taking part but the winning that counts !
Old 27 Nov 2003, 16:20 (Ref:796203)   #6
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Gilles
Definitely yes because a DB Panhard already run Le Mans in the early 60's with such a window.
Well, I think the rules may have changed since the early sixties a few times. Not sure if it is legal or not.
Old 27 Nov 2003, 16:51 (Ref:796228)   #7
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
I wasn't surprised to scroll down and see the Mosler Raptor get mentioned. If paul-collins hadn't done it, I would have.

I hope there is a rule against this, it is just ugly!

Robert
Old 28 Nov 2003, 12:28 (Ref:797011)   #8
Smokey 6 litre
Veteran

England
it must reduce drag a lot, especially if you blend it smootly into the front bodywork!

Guess i'd better keep designing then!
Old 28 Nov 2003, 13:45 (Ref:797101)   #9
johnw
Veteran

England
Chichester - 1/2 mile from Goodwood
johnw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Early Morris Minor, VW Camper?
Old 28 Nov 2003, 17:12 (Ref:797274)   #10
RacingManiac
Racer

RacingManiac should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Aero is exactly the reason why Mosler did it. He is a big fan of split window. In fact he would of done it to MT900 as well if it weren't for the "T" in the MT900 (something Trenn, I forgot his firstname), who penned the car and gave very strong protest about the idea(threatening pulling out of the project).....
Old 28 Nov 2003, 17:13 (Ref:797276)   #11
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
why? What benefit would refracting light have? Or do you mean is you had a wedge shaped windscreen would you get odd views out if it?
Old 28 Nov 2003, 19:53 (Ref:797427)   #12
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by johnw
Early Morris Minor, VW Camper?
Porsche Gmund Coupe also!

Mosler's use of the screen is more vertical then your illustration. They were splitting the air around the cabin. If you look at some of the screen treatments in fomula cars you would see the same effect, as it would help keep a vortex from forming as the air tumbles over the roof, or in a forumla car, up and over driver's head, roll structure, airbox, etc., so you could have a clean flow to rear wing. Me thinks!

I don't think you would have a problem with refraction too much, as you can go to a road car and look off to the side through the frong windscreen without a problem.

Your central driver position is interesting.
Old 28 Nov 2003, 20:43 (Ref:797486)   #13
dretceterini
Veteran

dretceterini should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Literally hundreds of cars (especially before WW2) had V-windscreens..mainly because it was easier to use 2 pieces of glass than try to make a curved piece

Last edited by dretceterini; 28 Nov 2003 at 20:44.
Old 28 Nov 2003, 22:32 (Ref:797563)   #14
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
Far cheaper too. Bending glass is a challenge.
Same windscreens used in early cabin aircraft. DC3 would be a good example.
Old 30 Nov 2003, 14:46 (Ref:799271)   #15
Dauntless
Racer

United States
San Francisco Bay Area
Dauntless should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yep, my Stinson V77 has flat windows too. (This isn't my airplane, but is an identical model and only a few serial numbers apart from mine.)

Old 1 Dec 2003, 09:01 (Ref:800034)   #16
Smokey 6 litre
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally posted by pirenzo
Or do you mean is you had a wedge shaped windscreen would you get odd views out if it?
yes, i was wondering if it was allowed, and if it was would it distord the drivers view of the track.
Old 1 Dec 2003, 13:15 (Ref:800305)   #17
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Dauntless
Yep, my Stinson V77 has flat windows too. (This isn't my airplane, but is an identical model and only a few serial numbers apart from mine.)

Wonderful machine !
Old 1 Dec 2003, 13:19 (Ref:800308)   #18
jase
Veteran

jase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Smokey 6 litre
yes, i was wondering if it was allowed, and if it was would it distord the drivers view of the track.
While a great idea, surely the spar in the middle of the screen would obscure a portion of the forward view (depending on driver position)?
Old 1 Dec 2003, 17:32 (Ref:800518)   #19
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
yep. View wouldn't be distorted noticably, unless the glass was at an extreme angle or the glass itself was very thick in which case it would have the effect of squashing the view sideways, kinda like narrow screen
Old 1 Dec 2003, 17:33 (Ref:800522)   #20
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
actually, angle wouldn't have much effect anyhow thinking about it
Old 2 Dec 2003, 10:49 (Ref:801340)   #21
egor
Veteran

Wales
N.Wales
egor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
On modern military aircraft, some have a weapon system that uses a device that looks through a wedged type screen/cover.
The way it is manufactured, the join in the screen is not seen when viewed from behind by the weaponary, it is a sort of optical illusion.
This could be used for a racing car design but, the draw backs could be the expense to manufacture it and it would look ugly.