Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 22 Dec 2004, 13:45 (Ref:1185920)   #1
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Best British driver?

Seing as it's topic of the month who is / was the best British F1 driver of all time?

Mike Hawthorn
champion '58

Stirling Moss

Peter Collins

Tony Brooks

Graham Hill
champion '62 and '68

Jim Clark
champion '63 and 65

John Surtees
champion '64

Jackie Stewart
champion '69, '71 and '73

James Hunt
champion '76

Nigel Mansell
champion '92

Damon Hill
champion '96

Eddie Irvine

David Coulthard

Jenson Button

I would have to say the British driver of a ll time would have to Jim Clark, no doubt about it, easierly one of the greastest drivers of all time.

Last edited by luke; 22 Dec 2004 at 13:48.
Old 22 Dec 2004, 14:00 (Ref:1185936)   #2
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Personal Top 5:

1. Jim Clark
  2. Jackie Stewart
  3. Stirling Moss
  4. Graham Hill
  5. James Hunt

There you have it, folks.

Last edited by ASCII Man; 22 Dec 2004 at 14:04. Reason: Jim disappeared for some reason...
Old 22 Dec 2004, 14:11 (Ref:1185942)   #3
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
1. Jim Clark
2=. Jackie Stwewart
2=. Stirling Moss
4. Graham Hill
5. John Surtees
Old 22 Dec 2004, 14:18 (Ref:1185946)   #4
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Personal Top 5:

1. Jim Clark
  2. Jackie Stewart
  3. Stirling Moss
  4. Graham Hill
  5. Nigel Mansell

ASCII Man I agree with your top 5 except for Hunt.
Old 22 Dec 2004, 14:23 (Ref:1185951)   #5
Marshal
Veteran

Marshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMarshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Too close to call between Moss and Clark, with Brooks and Stewart just behind
Old 22 Dec 2004, 14:23 (Ref:1185952)   #6
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by luke
ASCII Man I agree with your top 5 except for Hunt.
I just like the guy

Last edited by ASCII Man; 22 Dec 2004 at 14:24. Reason: meddling marshal...
Old 22 Dec 2004, 14:25 (Ref:1185953)   #7
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Jim Clark. Anyone who can win the BTCC title in his weekends off from winning the World Title is just beyond compare.
Old 22 Dec 2004, 14:26 (Ref:1185954)   #8
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Ooh now, you see I differ with most on Clark and Hill. Basically Jim had everything, skill, talent and timing. Graham on the other hand had to work seriously hard for his position and for me that makes him my No1.

So;

Hill G
Clark J
Moss S
Mansell N
Brooks T (Or Hunt J).

(We are just talking F1 here aren't we?)
Old 22 Dec 2004, 14:46 (Ref:1185959)   #9
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Jim Clark
Stirling Moss
Jackie Stewart
Nigel Mansell
Old 22 Dec 2004, 14:54 (Ref:1185962)   #10
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Jim Clark, be it in F1, F2, Saloons,GT, Sports cars (he made the Lotus 30 look driveable)or rallying he was always competitive.
Old 22 Dec 2004, 16:53 (Ref:1186031)   #11
paddy
Veteran

England
Nottingham
paddy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridpaddy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jim Clark
Graham Hill
Nigel Mansell
Jackie Stewart
James Hunt

I've left out Moss because he didn't win the champonship. I know you oldoues will go mad, but I think the world title is only way of really comparing.
Old 22 Dec 2004, 17:17 (Ref:1186053)   #12
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
At first I thought all you lot needed a trip to the dockers, with leaving old Nige out, but then again it you compare him to the others, in my view he only slips into the top 5.

Last edited by luke; 22 Dec 2004 at 17:17.
Old 22 Dec 2004, 17:34 (Ref:1186067)   #13
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by paddy

I've left out Moss because he didn't win the champonship. I know you oldoues will go mad, but I think the world title is only way of really comparing.

I'm not an "oldie" - but, with respect, that is one of the most ludicrous things I've ever read!
Old 22 Dec 2004, 19:17 (Ref:1186132)   #14
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Jim Clark

End thread.
Old 22 Dec 2004, 19:27 (Ref:1186138)   #15
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
Quote:
Not really because he came close several times.
Old 22 Dec 2004, 20:05 (Ref:1186177)   #16
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It's a very good point. Old Stirling was a minter

He should have at least one WDC but he sportingly gave that one to Mike Hawthorn, who also deserved it.

Stirling is the epitomy of sportsmanship. He had the talent, capability, wherewithal and outright doggedeness to achieve, but (and this is very important) he would never allow his ambition to get in the way of the sport. A lot of people decry him for that but gawd just think of the self discipline. An absolute hero in any right thinking person's book.
Old 22 Dec 2004, 20:19 (Ref:1186196)   #17
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Seing as it's topic of the month who is / was the best British F1 driver of all time?

Mike Hawthorn
champion '58

Stirling Moss

Peter Collins

Tony Brooks

Graham Hill
champion '62 and '68

Jim Clark
champion '63 and 65

John Surtees
champion '64

Jackie Stewart
champion '69, '71 and '73

James Hunt
champion '76

Nigel Mansell
champion '92

Damon Hill
champion '96

Eddie Irvine

David Coulthard

Jenson Button

I would have to say the British driver of a ll time would have to Jim Clark, no doubt about it, easierly one of the greastest drivers of all time.
Luke, I'm intrigued with your post. You obviously have no direct references for Peter Collins (a personal hero) or Mike Hawthorn, Jim Clark et al, so how did you come to your list?
Old 22 Dec 2004, 20:22 (Ref:1186200)   #18
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
MikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
For me it's a close call between Stewart and Clark. However, Moss is up there aswell, as he is known for being so versatile in other cars/series, although so were a lot of drivers back in the day...
Old 22 Dec 2004, 20:30 (Ref:1186207)   #19
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett
Luke, I'm intrigued with your post. You obviously have no direct references for Peter Collins (a personal hero) or Mike Hawthorn, Jim Clark et al, so how did you come to your list?

I was going to leave it at that, but I decided to offer an opionon, then I gave my top 5.
I could have given my view on them all but what would be the point?
Old 22 Dec 2004, 20:32 (Ref:1186211)   #20
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Steve Wilkinson is a back marker
Clark naturally!

My vote on the top five would be as follows:

1. Jim Clark - no question the greatest.

2. Graham Hill - winning TWO World Championships, the Indy 500 and Le Mans

3. Stirling Moss - greatest driver never to be World Champion

4. John Surtees - World Champion on two and four wheels

5. Brian Redman - the greatest ever Sports Car driver

Personally Paddy I think you are NUTS! You can't have a top five that only restricts the choice to the last ten years. Mind you judguing by your comments I gather your attention span is closer to ten seconds
Old 22 Dec 2004, 20:39 (Ref:1186217)   #21
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
I was going to leave it at that, but I decided to offer an opionon, then I gave my top 5.
I could have given my view on them all but what would be the point?
Personally I'd like to read your view. Simply because as an old bugger you seem to me to have listed all the worthy contenders. I believe nobody has actually added any names.

The romantics might add Innes Ireland of course but none have so far. Then again Peter Gethin (a Grand Prix winner was no Mr average either).
Old 22 Dec 2004, 20:43 (Ref:1186219)   #22
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett
Personally I'd like to read your view. Simply because as an old bugger you seem to me to have listed all the worthy contenders. I believe nobody has actually added any names.

The romantics might add Innes Ireland of course but none have so far. Then again Peter Gethin (a Grand Prix winner was no Mr average either).
Funnily enough Peter I was going to mention, Innes and Peter.

Ok I will give my opinon, but it will take ages as I have to type using the on-screen.

Last edited by luke; 22 Dec 2004 at 20:44.
Old 22 Dec 2004, 21:21 (Ref:1186250)   #23
Rich R
Veteran

United Kingdom
dudley uk
Rich R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i'd put jim clark at number 1, but i really have no clue who else to put in, or more importantly, leave out of a top 5. we have just had such a depth of talented drivers from these isles, i don't beleive any other country could match, especially post second world war.
i would say however that tony brooks is probably the most underated driver from britain
Old 22 Dec 2004, 23:09 (Ref:1186346)   #24
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It has to be Jim Clark.

But if it was the most entertaining British driver, Nige would win hands down!
Old 22 Dec 2004, 23:19 (Ref:1186352)   #25
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Quote:
I don't think anyone will go mad - it seems the poster of this might have been so afflicted tho'