Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 28 May 2006, 21:20 (Ref:1621474)   #1
beefy
Racer

United Kingdom
Cornwall
beefy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fuel improvers

I have found out about a product called a motoflow (or somthing), which is a magnet that you put around your fuel line. It claims to improve fuel economy and performance. Does anyone have any experience of it? How easy are they to fit?
Old 28 May 2006, 22:13 (Ref:1621501)   #2
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I've come across that before. It is a surprise that manufacturers don't fit this as standard. Although I have heard that cable tying some witch hazel to your fuel pump has a similar effect.

Excuse me.
Old 29 May 2006, 00:22 (Ref:1621560)   #3
thebear
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
85mi S. of Daytona, 125mi NE of Sebring
thebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAshmore
I've come across that before. It is a surprise that manufacturers don't fit this as standard. Although I have heard that cable tying some witch hazel to your fuel pump has a similar effect.

Excuse me.
Nicely stated.

To be blunt, it is impossible to impart any significant form of additional energy into motor fuel as used in road cars. It is also impossible to improve the breathing/turbulence of the mixture by impeding the flow with any type of device.

If you are looking to reduce fuel consumption be aware assuming a properly tuned car with appropriate air pressure in the tires (tyres) and correctly alligned wheels/suspension that driving habits have more effect than anything else.

One could of course slow down (Boo, hiss, FEH!), plan trips to combine stops, or just buy fuel when you pass an appropritely priced forecourt and not spend a lot of time & miles searching for a bargain.
Old 29 May 2006, 19:24 (Ref:1622304)   #4
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Americans being more gullible than us, the EPA has gone to the trouble of testing a whole range of devices which claim to improve fuel consumption; they have found one or two which MAY give a tiny improvement among the dozens they have tested; none of them was a magnet!
Old 30 May 2006, 03:10 (Ref:1622569)   #5
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Adam, I really love your avatar, that is so cool!
Old 30 May 2006, 09:59 (Ref:1622771)   #6
Mackmot
Veteran

United Kingdom
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Mackmot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It has made a difference on two 7.5ton trucks that we have had over the years, I dont know why but you generally get about 15-30mins extra running with it on.

Also slowing down isnt that true, its about using the engine efficiently. If you run in the torque band then you require very little or no throttle to move and only a little to accelarate. If you go for too high a gear then you will require a lot of throttle to accelerate if your in too low a gear you will use too many revs.
Old 30 May 2006, 18:21 (Ref:1623179)   #7
Sharky
Veteran

Sharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVID PATERSON
Adam, I really love your avatar, that is so cool!
I'll second that motion.

I previously asked this question on this forum but I'm too lazy to look it up

However, from what i've heard, most of the cases of people noticing improvements when using such devices have to do with unrelated engine-tuning, changing driving habits or people who weren't aware of how much they spent in the past.

BTW, I'm not sure if what this device claims (more power with less fuel) is compatible with the first law of thermodynamics (ebergy isn't created nor destroyed but just transformed)
Old 30 May 2006, 20:18 (Ref:1623261)   #8
beefy
Racer

United Kingdom
Cornwall
I'd guessed there was no cure for my leaden right foot. Oh well, back to the drawing board!
Old 31 May 2006, 02:25 (Ref:1623478)   #9
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
At my old job, we had a client who imported something like this. It was a hollow aluminum tube, filled with tin balls, which is plumbed inline with the fuel system. Supposedly, the fuel underwent some sort of reaction after passing over the tin balls.
Old 31 May 2006, 02:37 (Ref:1623479)   #10
thebear
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
85mi S. of Daytona, 125mi NE of Sebring
thebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
another comment

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVID PATERSON
At my old job, we had a client who imported something like this. It was a hollow aluminum tube, filled with tin balls, which is plumbed inline with the fuel system. Supposedly, the fuel underwent some sort of reaction after passing over the tin balls.
If it was as simple as that, there wouuld have been one on every gas pump in the world. There is no external power source so you can't add energy to gasoline and it certainly won't dissolve tin.
Old 2 Jun 2006, 12:38 (Ref:1625413)   #11
elspethhardie
Racer

Wales
South Wales
elspethhardie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridelspethhardie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Just remove the flag from the back windows - apparently that works wonders
Old 2 Jun 2006, 18:34 (Ref:1625631)   #12
beefy
Racer

United Kingdom
Cornwall
Quote:
Originally Posted by elspethhardie
Just remove the flag from the back windows - apparently that works wonders
Trust me. It'll be a long time before I get myself one of those!