Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Bike Racing

Old 21 May 2006, 12:57 (Ref:1615552)   #1
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Right then - who's ya money on now?

Wow, this MotoGP season is turning into something else!

18 points seperating the top five - Nicky Hayden four points ahead of Marco Melandri and Loris Capirossi, Dani Pedrosa a further six behind, followed by Casey Stoner.

Rossi over 40 points behind, but can you count him out? Somehow I doubt it, especially if Yamaha come up with something.

I'm rooting for Capirex and Dani, but I really don't know which way it'll go.

Interestingly, Melandri is the first rider to take two wins this season, so maybe he is the strongest?

Nicky Hayden on the other hand, leads without a single win so far.

So how do you call it?
Old 21 May 2006, 13:09 (Ref:1615560)   #2
Yoong Montoya
Veteran

Yoong Montoya should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well considering what Colin Edwards did back in 2002, I certainly wouldn't count Rossi out yet. He was 4 seconds in the lead when his bike went bang, and Edwards made it up from last to 6th as well. If Yamaha get their reliability sorted out, I think Rossi will win it.

Vyvyan - The Young Ones
Old 21 May 2006, 13:13 (Ref:1615563)   #3
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Personally I am going for Pedrosa, he would have won today but he made a mistake on tyre choice. Towards the end of the race he really dropped off the pace and was lapping slower than both Melandri and Capirossi. Had he gone for a medium rear tyre rather than a soft im sure things would have been differnt. Still, today was a bit of a gamble for everyone.

If Pedrosa doesent win the championship though my money would be on Rossi or Capirossi, all depends if Yamaha can sort out their problems.
Old 21 May 2006, 16:10 (Ref:1615655)   #4
Schummy
Subscriber
Veteran

Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!
I'm still with Rossi, with "Pedro" a close second in my "favourit-ism". If Yamaha is reliable, I think VR must win. If it is not, Pedrosa looks the most consistent and talented there. I again note how much this season looks as 1985 (I think), with the classic Spencer-Lawson encounter of the third kind.

Melandri is fast but he is not regular at top level. Hayden, sadly, is not exactly an outright winner (by now), with merely good results he is not going to win the title. Capirossi/Ducati have not been regular at all along the last seasons; I don't expect the great Capi to become now neither.

I cannot think about Edwards as a title winner here and now with this kind of field. Gibernau is in a sort of holidays and Stoner is to premature yet.

So Rossi, then Pedrosa. Perhaps, perhaps, perhaps Melandri and there in the far distance of possibilities Hayden.

Of course Lady Reality has the custom of making laugh of our predictions.
Old 21 May 2006, 17:32 (Ref:1615692)   #5
Dani Filth
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
my money are still on rossi ..
Capirossi scored in all races so far . and we're still to get to the Bridgestone tracks . like Sepang or Motegi .. there they will have the advantage ..
Rossi
Hayden and Capirossi
Pedrosa and Melandri

that's how i see it .

Ciao Marco
Old 21 May 2006, 17:33 (Ref:1615693)   #6
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The key for Rossi is whether the Yamaha can replicate it's speed this weekend on other tracks.

Le Mans, after all, is traditionally a Yamaha track...
Old 21 May 2006, 22:42 (Ref:1615883)   #7
Silk Cut Jaguar
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, UK
Silk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSilk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rossi is my bet for the title, although I wouldn't be surprised if Hayden sneaked it due to his consistency this year.

If Suzuki can sort out their race pace issues then it would really throw the cat amongst the pigeons with nearly half the field having race win capable bikes every weekend.
Old 22 May 2006, 02:46 (Ref:1615943)   #8
asha
Veteran

asha should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I want dani to win, just because that would mean that he would be consective 125 world champ, 250 world champ, 250 world champ & then motogp world champ.
Makes Rossi's 'year to learn' 'year to win' look soft.
Old 22 May 2006, 06:33 (Ref:1615998)   #9
gfm
Veteran

gfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
My money is still on Rossi; he was basically 'much faster' than everyone else, even allowing for the Yamaha advantage at Le Mans
Mind you, I thought his opening corner was a bit 'Schumacher - desparate'. I can't work out why top dogs believe they can 'override' round the world's bests and expect to get away with it. Certainly a hi-risk stategy that will end in tears quite often.
Long season of consistant point scoring is what they'll be looking for. Next few races crucial. Extremely interesting. At least no one individual is getting away. I still think this is the best racing on the planet right now.
Anyone know why the Yam conked out?
Old 22 May 2006, 20:37 (Ref:1616610)   #10
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Surely Rossi cannot be counted out. The pace of the Yamaha was clear at LeMans. Me thinks the Rossi-Yamaha-Michelin package will only get better. I would have liked to see how Edwards would have faired had he not been caught up in the opening lap drama.

Hayden and Capirossi should be season long contenders. But Hayden needs to convert solid points finishes into victories or forget it. Same for Capirossi more or less, even though he has one this season. Hopefully Bridgestone can come good at more than just a few circuits.

Pedrosa can't be left out. He's got the raw pace and talent. As he continues to learn he'll only get better. He still has things to learn though, which is why he's behind his consistent teammate in the points. Looking for more head to head battles between Pedrosa and Rossi.

Surely Melandri can't be left out either. But he lacks the consistency he showed late last year.

I'll go with a three-way fight between Rossi, Capirossi and Hayden. And possibly a few more. Certainly an appetizing season.
Old 22 May 2006, 20:45 (Ref:1616618)   #11
Dani Filth
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think the other riders should be worried of what they saw in the first 2 laps from rossi . besides the incident .. he passed people everywhere .. corner after corner .. i think the incident enranged Rossi .. and the DNF probably even more . he'll byte heads

Ciao Marco
Old 23 May 2006, 07:31 (Ref:1616846)   #12
Bleu
Veteran

Finland
Espoo, Finland
Bleu should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBleu should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, Rossi is still only little more than 3,5 points behind (per race) the top so he still has a good chance.
Old 23 May 2006, 09:18 (Ref:1616935)   #13
bestfit
Veteran

Australia
In a state of total confusion.
bestfit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbestfit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Rossi still has a chance at the title (you could never discount him), but he is going to have to win the majority of the remaining 12 races and can't afford another DNF. Luckily for him there are several riders in front of him rather than just one, so they are likely to take points off each other which will be a help for Vale.

Hayden, Cappirossi and Melandri are all very strong and anyone of them could take the title.

Pedrosa curtainly has the talent and the speed to win, however I think his achilles heel will be wet races. He was lousy in the wet on 250's and so far this year, as soon as any moisture appears on the track his times go backwards at a hundred mile an hour. If we get one or two wet races, this could spell the end of his chances.

I would still have a sly $20 on Stoner. He is only 18 points behind Hayden and has continually impressed me this year with his performances. He has been fast in all practice/quali sessions, has raced at the front when he and the bike are capable and brought home consistent results in every race. He is also usually good in the wet. Honda a reportedly slipping a few "good" parts his way so this will also help. He might be a dark horse but well worth keeping an eye on.
Old 23 May 2006, 17:29 (Ref:1617279)   #14
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I really think Dani still has to learn to be honest, he would have won that race fairly nicely without the tyre problem, and that is a result of the team trying to maximise his weight advantage I imagine.

Another hting with Vale is that he was taking the mickey in the lead there, and he is the only rider running the narrow front Michelin, as it gets rid of the chatter a bit more on a long run. Maybe why Edwards is getting close in qually.

Though have to admit the foirst corner was madness, remember Doohan doing exactly the same thing ast the same corner in 94, adn getting away with it.
Old 27 May 2006, 01:17 (Ref:1619903)   #15
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

would be great to see rossi win because he is so far back & he would just prove to us all how brilliant he is/still...
dont think hayden can do it unless he starts winning, think the ducati will be inconsistent at some tracks, pedrosa & stoner - hmmm 1st year, cant expect them too, but hope casey does .... that leaves melandri, came 2nd last year - rossi or melandri for me
Old 27 May 2006, 02:46 (Ref:1619930)   #16
DavidStHubbins
Veteran

United Kingdom
DavidStHubbins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My money is still on Rossi, he has the potential to win every race from here on out until the end of the season. That would do it, coupled with the fact that there are so many other guys who will be taking points off each other.

If the unthinkable happens and the Doctor doesn't do it then I'd like to see Melandri do it. He's quick and happy!

Please not Pedrosa - he's v.v.v.v.good but he's a boring F1-type drone. He's taken Biaggi's place as the baddie as far as I'm concerned. I boo him...
Old 27 May 2006, 08:19 (Ref:1619996)   #17
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I have to agree with you David about Dani, he is a huge talent and very good that he has leatrned so quick. Dont think anyone was iny real doubt that he would, but I think stil htink he is frail near the end of a race at a physical track like Assen or Mugello!

I really want Hayden to just push that extra few tenths adn get there, he has so much enthusiasm and he seems a real nice bloke. And you cant se Rossi being unhappy with it either!
But I think Vale is gonna really up the ante now, he has said he is gonna look for race wins, just lilke Mick used to and that is significant for me!

Only guy I can see staying with him consistently is Hayden, think Marco will still blow hot and cold and have to many finishes out the top 5

As for Ducati, well they stll seem incapable of getting the Bridgies to work every week. Loris will win more races but too often be top 6, and to beat Vale you ahve to be podium every week form now on and never fall off
Old 27 May 2006, 09:01 (Ref:1620023)   #18
Dani Filth
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
I would've gone for Melandri to be no.1 challenger to Rossi .. but i'm afraid he needs full factory support

Pedrosa is good .. but i see him more like a fast rider rather than a racer .. i just don't see him racing wheel to wheel .. he will either pull away if he's faster or stay behind if he's equal in pace

Ciao Marco
Old 28 May 2006, 07:25 (Ref:1620601)   #19
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hard to count Rossi out, though if Yamaha continue to have problems, then this might just not be his season.

If not him, then it'll be a pick of the Honda riders.
Old 28 May 2006, 09:26 (Ref:1620694)   #20
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It could go so many different ways. I think it's too difficult for a rookie to string a title-winning season together, there will be days when Pedrosa and Stoner can't get the best out of the equipment. Amazingly things are still in Rossi's hands - if he wins every race he's champion whatever happens. Another bad race would make it tougher, but I think we'll see a variety of race-winning riders, so consistency might be key. Capirossi would be my slight favourite, but I wouldn't put any money on it.
Old 29 May 2006, 01:03 (Ref:1621584)   #21
asha
Veteran

asha should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It all comes down to the next gp!
Old 6 Jun 2006, 22:30 (Ref:1628866)   #22
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by asha
It all comes down to the next gp!
and that about sums it up! I haven't a clue, but tend to go along with the "Rossi can still do it" angle. Mind you, the two dnf's were completely unrelated and the front tire really was an odd occurance. No matter what it is going to be a real hoot watching the season. I still haven't seen this last weekends race in Italy, can't wait.
Old 7 Jun 2006, 01:17 (Ref:1628927)   #23
Schummy
Subscriber
Veteran

Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!
Paradoxically. I was more convinced for Rossi in France than in Italy.

In Le Mans, he was brilliant and only a rare mechanical failure (that could be not typical of his bike) demised him. The opposition was not even present (except Pedrosa and his soft tyres at the beginning)

In Mugello he was working very hard and he had a strong and determined opposition. If Mugello is the way to go, I can see he winning races and he losing races or even podiums, and it is not good with his current points disadvantage.

Anyway, what I expect is things are not going to be so hard for Rossi most of time. I suppose he will have a number of strong races and some relatively weak ones. That is what I expect, what I *hope* is he has more hard races as Mugello, it will be great to watch!
Old 7 Jun 2006, 06:04 (Ref:1628986)   #24
sr230772
Racer

sr230772 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
nicky hayden looks solid may not win many races but he is bagging points
Old 7 Jun 2006, 19:43 (Ref:1629461)   #25
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Hayden can't carry on just getting second, third and fourth though. He needs to get a few wins under the belt to put a strong challenge in, as odd as that sounds when he is joint leader of the standings!

He wants to win badly of course, but seemingly has a mental block at the minute.