Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Bike Racing

Old 30 Dec 2008, 14:13 (Ref:2362742)   #1
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Green MEAN

Looks like the Japanese are really pulling the plug on everything!!

Kawasaki might eb abotu to announce an imminent withdrawal from MotoGP

Apparently the situation is similar to Subaru and Suzuki, they are looking for weak limbs to chop and this os one!

No surprise really, all that cash on riders and bikes and no results to speak of!
Old 30 Dec 2008, 14:26 (Ref:2362753)   #2
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/72588
Old 30 Dec 2008, 14:38 (Ref:2362762)   #3
johntt
Veteran

England
England
johntt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder
Looks like the Japanese are really pulling the plug on everything!!

Kawasaki might eb abotu to announce an imminent withdrawal from MotoGP

Apparently the situation is similar to Subaru and Suzuki, they are looking for weak limbs to chop and this os one!

No surprise really, all that cash on riders and bikes and no results to speak of!
Bang on, the Japanese want to cut unsucessful motorsport programmes while (understandably) wanting to save face at the same time. The economic crisis gives them the perfect excuse.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." -Ayrton Senna
Old 30 Dec 2008, 15:50 (Ref:2362806)   #4
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Read about this just now. Surprising and not at the same time. Hopefully it doesn't happen, as I would hate to lose the bikes.
Old 30 Dec 2008, 21:00 (Ref:2362959)   #5
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well from what I'm reading it is sounding all but confirmed. Bummer.

So let's speculate, should the team fold, what happens to Hopkins and Melandri?
Old 30 Dec 2008, 21:56 (Ref:2362983)   #6
Dani Filth
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
we're getting very close to just 15 bikes on the grid .. not good at all
wonder if somebody like Aspar can "buy" the whole thing and run it with the same riders

Ciao Marco
Old 31 Dec 2008, 12:13 (Ref:2363268)   #7
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Why would he, he is probably aing oney

I thin you ahve to look at Dorna here to do something, but then again last time it was Kenny Roberts who sorted it out by persuading Yamaha to allow privateers to use YZR500's!

So dont expect too much!
Old 31 Dec 2008, 13:42 (Ref:2363315)   #8
Dani Filth
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
aing what ?? .. oney is probably money though

Ciao Marco
Old 1 Jan 2009, 09:39 (Ref:2363592)   #9
EGG
Racer

Australia
perth, aus
EGG has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I think aing is 'bleeding' or 'losing'. hard night on the **** chunder?

Melandri isn't having the best of luck you have to say.
Old 1 Jan 2009, 09:53 (Ref:2363594)   #10
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
15 bikes wouldnt be too good - c'mon team green, find a big sponsor...
Old 3 Jan 2009, 05:01 (Ref:2364341)   #11
Schummy
Subscriber
Veteran

Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!
Poor Melandri and Hopkins, two good riders in the "limbo". Anyway, ironically, if they find another bike, it can turn to be better for them!

15 bikes is not much, but, frankly, losing no-podium bikes is not a big deal, I (or the TV director) don't watch them anyway! Sadly the same with Suzuki, not nice at all, but not lethal. If someone among Honda, Ducati or Yamaha close the shop, then we would be in the middle of a big s**t lake.

Maybe Pons can go to the rescue? I mean, can someone (not in Japan, I suppose) lend Pons some money? The man has faith in this business.

What we have now? 4 Yamahas, maybe 6 Hondas, maybe 5 Ducatis, perhaps 2 blue japanese bikes. Out of them, I think 8 are able of podiums. Not so bad. In fact better than F1.
Old 3 Jan 2009, 14:40 (Ref:2364530)   #12
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
Looks like Aspar may come to teh rescue perhaps?

And other news is that Alice are puling out of Pramacm leaving only Kallio whose Red Bull money no dount helps

Canepa is going to Onde aparently with Sete, imagine Nieto will want Nieto! lol But Ducati will force Canepa!
Old 5 Jan 2009, 02:53 (Ref:2365360)   #13
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Melandri's manager says it is Dornas problem to ensure he is on the grid!!!
May I ask why? Surely it is up to Melandri's manager to get him a job.
Old 5 Jan 2009, 04:12 (Ref:2365367)   #14
Flyin Ryan
Veteran

United States
Carolina del Norte
Flyin Ryan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schummy
Poor Melandri and Hopkins, two good riders in the "limbo". Anyway, ironically, if they find another bike, it can turn to be better for them!

15 bikes is not much, but, frankly, losing no-podium bikes is not a big deal, I (or the TV director) don't watch them anyway! Sadly the same with Suzuki, not nice at all, but not lethal. If someone among Honda, Ducati or Yamaha close the shop, then we would be in the middle of a big s**t lake.

Maybe Pons can go to the rescue? I mean, can someone (not in Japan, I suppose) lend Pons some money? The man has faith in this business.

What we have now? 4 Yamahas, maybe 6 Hondas, maybe 5 Ducatis, perhaps 2 blue japanese bikes. Out of them, I think 8 are able of podiums. Not so bad. In fact better than F1.
And who would pay to watch an 8-bike (or 8-car) grid?

Numbers do matter. If for nothing else just to provide spots for the up-and-coming talent and for the best of the no-hopers to push the back end of the top line riders/teams. Fernando Alonso started his F1 career in a Minardi, Kimi Raikkonen in a Sauber, Michael Schumacher in a Jordan.

Last edited by Flyin Ryan; 5 Jan 2009 at 04:15.
Old 5 Jan 2009, 07:40 (Ref:2365404)   #15
Schummy
Subscriber
Veteran

Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyin Ryan
And who would pay to watch an 8-bike (or 8-car) grid?

Numbers do matter. If for nothing else just to provide spots for the up-and-coming talent and for the best of the no-hopers to push the back end of the top line riders/teams. Fernando Alonso started his F1 career in a Minardi, Kimi Raikkonen in a Sauber, Michael Schumacher in a Jordan.
MotoGP is not financed by the grandstands. Only a small percentage of followers are actually there, "live". But certainly they are among the most enthusiast, and I agree they deserve some respect.

About the new talent, something as 12 cars/bikes is enough for me, not optimal, but not so bad. Alonso, Raikkonen, Schumacher,... all those can begin his F1 career in a 5th or 6th team, I suppose. What we need is a decent ladder of categories, not people in bad cars. In FIM GP it exists, in F1 emphatically not.

Maybe it is a question of different taste, but I don't matter about Cardosos or nowadays-Checas. I don't matter neither some of the "boring" veteran F1 drivers. They would be stars in another series, they are uninteresting in F1.

Again, it's my opinion.
Old 5 Jan 2009, 10:10 (Ref:2365465)   #16
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by sizzle
Melandri's manager says it is Dornas problem to ensure he is on the grid!!!
May I ask why? Surely it is up to Melandri's manager to get him a job.
why would dorna want him on the grid after his efforts last season
Old 5 Jan 2009, 10:16 (Ref:2365469)   #17
Jeff 8
Racer

Australia
Sydney, Australia
Jeff 8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If Aspar would be part of the rescue package would that mean Spanish money, Spanish riders?

Jeff

Old 5 Jan 2009, 11:53 (Ref:2365547)   #18
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It all depends on how solid Hopkins and Melandri's contracts are within the team, and whether Aspar would be able to buy out only parts of the operation. Presumably he would need some Kawasaki crew to run the bikes, especially as he will have already assigned his 125/250 staff and would not be able to switch many people at this late stage, but the riders are less certain. Then again, Aspar running two pay riders would be better than nothing.
Old 5 Jan 2009, 20:37 (Ref:2365852)   #19
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
Hopkins has pots of monster money

And by the look of it Melandri has one of those McWilliams/Byrne contracts that will keep them in GP all being equal.
Old 5 Jan 2009, 23:32 (Ref:2365970)   #20
Flyin Ryan
Veteran

United States
Carolina del Norte
Flyin Ryan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schummy
MotoGP is not financed by the grandstands. Only a small percentage of followers are actually there, "live". But certainly they are among the most enthusiast, and I agree they deserve some respect.
And in my opinion the lack of focus on followers at the track is part of what is wrong with Formula One and MotoGP.

Although the statement "who would pay to watch 8-bike grids?" can definitely be passed onto TV companies, not to mention promoters, who partially cover the sanctioning costs via attendance.

Last edited by Flyin Ryan; 5 Jan 2009 at 23:38.
Old 6 Jan 2009, 01:17 (Ref:2366014)   #21
2000yellow360
Racer

United States
California
2000yellow360 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder
Hopkins has pots of monster money.
Pots????? Maybe 350k. Doesn't even begin to pay for an engine lease, let alone tires, etc. It costs 3.5 - 6.5M per year to field a bike, not counting the rider's money. His 3.6M Euros deal went up in smoke when he got drunk before practice, so his deal is for a lot less. Wouldn't be surprised if they don't have a throw away clause in his new contract.

Art
Old 8 Jan 2009, 23:30 (Ref:2367978)   #22
bestfit
Veteran

Australia
In a state of total confusion.
bestfit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbestfit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looks like DORNA may have flexed it's muscles?

Kawasaki apparently no longer quitting MotoGP?
Old 9 Jan 2009, 13:46 (Ref:2368255)   #23
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
Erm I think not

KHI have made an official release today saying they are not competing in 2009

Still levaes the door open for Aspar though I guess though with what rider I dont know
Old 9 Jan 2009, 22:38 (Ref:2368581)   #24
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
maybe the 60 million ( ) they save could be invested in getting a decent superbike team happening...
Old 10 Jan 2009, 10:47 (Ref:2368785)   #25
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
I somehow doubt that too!

Kawasaki ahve never really pushed the envelope in racing, the last time they did it was Muzzy who was the main mover in there.

Eckl did OK in WSS but he had good riders and a very clever engineer!

Makes you realise how good Scott Russell was to win so many races against Foggy et al on that gorgeous ZXR750! best sounding race bike ever!

(not forgetting the precious Gobert and Slight obviously)