Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 17 Apr 2007, 07:04 (Ref:1893584)   #101
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bernard b
more tertre rouge pictures on this page
no more trees and high fence .... appears very sad
only good point: a rather good view of all the track,maybe a bit more of the Mulsanne straight
I'm particularly interested in this picture. It seems to me that unless the area between the freshly laid tarmac and the barrier is to be filled in (thus becoming part of the racing surface), the actual profile of the corner will have changed very little. The angle the cars will need to turn in at to hit the apex and round the corner looks practically identical to the old one. It's just been moved west by a few metres!

Whilst changes to the circuit are generally sad to see (for sure, the 'old' Tertre Rouge was a very special place to watch motor racing), I am personally of the opinion that the changes that have been made at Tertre Rouge will actually enhance the experience for spectators visiting that part of the circuit.
Old 17 Apr 2007, 09:38 (Ref:1893690)   #102
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by djb
...wouldn't you think that though that changes every so often make the whole event more interesting...
I've never been a member of the "We Fear Change" school, so I'm with djb on this issue. The thing that keeps me interested in Le Mans is that each year is different, there's always something new to see or do.

That's not to say that All Change Is Good, as having a field of allotments alongside Tertre Rouge added to the atmosphere.

Finally, I'm sure we are all looking forward to standing at the breaking zone into TR on Wednesday evening catching our first glimpse of glowing brake discs of the new year.
Old 17 Apr 2007, 10:21 (Ref:1893713)   #103
Pilgrimage
Veteran

England
Kent, England
Pilgrimage should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckosaurus

Finally, I'm sure we are all looking forward to standing at the breaking zone into TR on Wednesday evening catching our first glimpse of glowing brake discs of the new year.
I won't see that til Saturday night - but can't wait!
Old 17 Apr 2007, 11:04 (Ref:1893736)   #104
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Hmm, difficult isn't it? I guess having been to Le Mans for the past 21 years I have a tendency to look at the 'old' circuit and its environs through the proverbial rose-tinteds, and I certainly hope the view at TR will be better for spectators - it's certainly been pretty dire on the outside of the corner for years..... Let's hope this change is for the better - for me, the changes made since 1990 have done nothing to improve the experience, particularly the loss of the straight run down to the Esses - that was classic Le Mans and I miss it.
Old 17 Apr 2007, 11:50 (Ref:1893771)   #105
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi
... particularly the loss of the straight run down to the Esses - that was classic Le Mans and I miss it.
Other than during the opening lap of each session where you had the sight of the pack cresting the hill under the Dunlop bridge and coming towards you, I'm much in favour of the new sweep before The Esses, it gives you a bit more of a look at the cars.
Old 17 Apr 2007, 12:46 (Ref:1893813)   #106
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Other than during the opening lap of each session where you had the sight of the pack cresting the hill under the Dunlop bridge and coming towards you, I'm much in favour of the new sweep before The Esses, it gives you a bit more of a look at the cars.
I agree, the new arrangement between the dunlop bridge and the esses is one of the best places now and it is also very handy if you are camping at tertre rouge, lets hope the new tertre rouge corner is a similar success.
Old 17 Apr 2007, 17:47 (Ref:1894049)   #107
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
particularly the loss of the straight run down to the Esses - that was classic Le Mans and I miss it.
it's one of the things I regret not seeing in real life, it had been changed when I was there and having seen the photos from years past, I can appreciate your comment (must have been a hell of a sight in the "old" years when they would come over there pretty damn fast and barrel on through--though dangerous as hell really)

as I have often mentioned on 10/10ths, I greatly envy you lot that have access (and have had access in the past like you Ayse) to the various famous tracks of europe, with the time and money committments so much less than for someone like me in North America.

cheers
Old 17 Apr 2007, 21:38 (Ref:1894268)   #108
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley03
I'm particularly interested in this picture. It seems to me that unless the area between the freshly laid tarmac and the barrier is to be filled in (thus becoming part of the racing surface), the actual profile of the corner will have changed very little. The angle the cars will need to turn in at to hit the apex and round the corner looks practically identical to the old one. It's just been moved west by a few metres!
Agree...they appear to have spent much time and euros for practically nothing. Bizarre.
Old 18 Apr 2007, 00:54 (Ref:1894369)   #109
vs346
Racer

Greenland
vs346 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
All in the interest of more runoff area... Who are the ACO trying to appease, the FIA? Unlikely... and they can't blame this one on the MotoGP guys...

KDR, will you be making the trek down this year? Missed 2006 due to my wedding. Still made it to LM, just in July for the french side of the family marriage...

Will be in my usual spot, near the stairs leading up to the Michelin Bar. Hope to see you there.
Old 18 Apr 2007, 06:44 (Ref:1894428)   #110
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by vs346
All in the interest of more runoff area... Who are the ACO trying to appease, the FIA? Unlikely... and they can't blame this one on the MotoGP guys...
I think the moving of the apex was caused by the installation of the tram way. The tracks would be just the other side and I think there is a tram stop there as well.

I can't agree that the lose of the esses is good, that together with the chicane before the dunlop bridge have changed the track, and your viewing for the worse imho.
Old 18 Apr 2007, 07:45 (Ref:1894467)   #111
bernard b
Veteran

European Union
France
bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley03
... Whilst changes to the circuit are generally sad to see (for sure, the 'old' Tertre Rouge was a very special place to watch motor racing), I am personally of the opinion that the changes that have been made at Tertre Rouge will actually enhance the experience for spectators visiting that part of the circuit.
I think the Tertre rouge changes were necessary (I saw VanDePoel crash in 1998, and it was very frightening), I only regret the way they made it.
I mean: why break everything around? a lot of trees could have stay there, thus making this area better than this no-man's-land it seems to be now.
and on another personal point: I deeply regret that everytime they change something, that leaves no more photographic point of view without fences. That would be so simple to let spaces for photographers (of course, they'd be overcrowded )
Old 18 Apr 2007, 11:04 (Ref:1894590)   #112
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Massive photo update (Tertre Rouge) on LeMans.org.............
Old 18 Apr 2007, 15:18 (Ref:1894776)   #113
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Interesting.....

Let's just hope the ACO really have remembered the spectators while all this work has gone on (for whatever reason).

I'm with Bernard though - it disappoints me to see the loss of the trees and greenery, to be replaced with more sand and concrete - just like any other circuit anywhere in the world. A bit likle the new Village - very nice, clean and ordered, but not a patch on the atmosphere of the old Village.... Sorry - perhaps I'm getting a bit too old in the tooth and conservative for all this change - which I still see in the main as change just for the sake of it.....
Old 18 Apr 2007, 15:51 (Ref:1894801)   #114
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Interesting.....

Let's just hope the ACO really have remembered the spectators while all this work has gone on (for whatever reason).

I'm with Bernard though - it disappoints me to see the loss of the trees and greenery, to be replaced with more sand and concrete - just like any other circuit anywhere in the world. A bit likle the new Village - very nice, clean and ordered, but not a patch on the atmosphere of the old Village.... Sorry - perhaps I'm getting a bit too old in the tooth and conservative for all this change - which I still see in the main as change just for the sake of it.....
I'm with you as well Ayse, theres simply no way you should be able to see the Dunlop Bridge from Tertre Rouge...which is how it looks now. The spectator banking now appears to go all the way from the inside of the Esses to the start of the Mulsanne, great for viewing but it would be nice if they added some greenery instead of just lamposts at every 25 yards
Old 21 Apr 2007, 07:03 (Ref:1896828)   #115
bernard b
Veteran

European Union
France
bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!
have a look at this page
a few more pictures from tertre rouge

but there are also some of the "new" Dunlop bridge. those of you who used to enjoy the view from there should be disapointed: that steel wall is just awfull
I hope the crazy people at the bikes will destroy it this week-end
Old 21 Apr 2007, 07:25 (Ref:1896835)   #116
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
........but there are also some of the "new" Dunlop bridge. those of you who used to enjoy the view from there should be disapointed: that steel wall is just awfull
The new panels were already in place last December (post #38), but I don't remember seeing the strip at the top with the teeth (perhaps I'm wrong).

Last edited by Bentley03; 21 Apr 2007 at 07:27.
Old 21 Apr 2007, 15:10 (Ref:1897051)   #117
nobster
Veteran

Netherlands
Eindhoven, de gekste!!!!
nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
have a look at this page
a few more pictures from tertre rouge

but there are also some of the "new" Dunlop bridge. those of you who used to enjoy the view from there should be disapointed: that steel wall is just awfull

I agree Bernard, another fine place to make good pictures has gone, f..k you very much ACO!!!
Old 25 Apr 2007, 11:27 (Ref:1900007)   #118
Pilgrimage
Veteran

England
Kent, England
This is just crazy - those teeth are just way over the top.
They could have just gone for man with a dog and a big gun and electrify the whole bridge if you stand on it for more than 30 seconds!
Old 25 Apr 2007, 12:29 (Ref:1900053)   #119
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrimage
This is just crazy - those teeth are just way over the top.
They could have just gone for man with a dog and a big gun and electrify the whole bridge if you stand on it for more than 30 seconds!

Don't say that too loudly - someone at the ACO might hear you and think it's a good idea.......
Old 25 Apr 2007, 12:33 (Ref:1900058)   #120
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Interesting.....
.....I'm with Bernard though
you and thousands of others
- it disappoints me to see the loss of the trees and greenery, to be replaced with more sand and concrete - just like any other circuit anywhere in the world. A bit likle the new Village - very nice, clean and ordered, but not a patch on the atmosphere of the old Village.... Sorry - perhaps I'm getting a bit too old in the tooth and conservative for all this change - which I still see in the main as change just for the sake of it.....
Don't apologise, you are absolutely correct...
Old 25 Apr 2007, 12:34 (Ref:1900060)   #121
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
people could always bring a bit of lumber and just tap it into place on the top of those teeth...
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 25 Apr 2007, 13:30 (Ref:1900121)   #122
Pilgrimage
Veteran

England
Kent, England
Quote:
Don't say that too loudly - someone at the ACO might hear you and think it's a good idea.......
Oops, yeah, sorry - sshhhhh!
Old 27 Apr 2007, 07:57 (Ref:1901477)   #123
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Couldn't resist posting this in this thread.

I was just wandering back through some of my pages on my website and spotted this picture

Man how I miss this view.... (from 1994)
Old 27 Apr 2007, 11:30 (Ref:1901597)   #124
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:

Just found this one..... I simply can't agree.....

One of the great Le Mans sights, particularly with several cars coming over the brow.

The new section is just a series a rather dull corners..... (IMO)

Old 27 Apr 2007, 11:54 (Ref:1901611)   #125
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Yes I to miss the old sections but I also like some of the recent changes, watch the cars go through the new section after the Dunlop bridge gives you a real chance to see the different classes and power levels of each car, also if the track is even slightly damp the skill of various drivers. Change is not always a bad thing and each year finding somewhere new to watch or the changes in the track help to make le mans what it is, the greatest motor racing event in the world.