Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 7 Jul 2002, 20:53 (Ref:328977)   #1
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
Marshals in the National News

Um has anyone seen the article in News of the World about the treatment of marshals at Silverstone?

Comments?
Old 7 Jul 2002, 21:02 (Ref:328989)   #2
jase
Veteran

jase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No, but i did hear about it on the campsite this evening, tell me more.
Old 8 Jul 2002, 07:38 (Ref:329149)   #3
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
Well I'm in work at the moment, but I have the full thing at home.

The headline was something along the lines of "Marshals treated like animals at Silverstone" and a photo of three marshals - one of whom was Sue Whitlock which is a name that's very familiar - I think she posts to Yahoo.

When I get home, I'll type it up and post the lot.
Old 8 Jul 2002, 13:58 (Ref:329407)   #4
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
Ok I've typed this up from the article so excuse any typos - if anyone wants a scan of the original, please let me know.

British Grand Prix marshals last night accused stingy Formula One bosses of treating them like animals.

A Shock News of the World investigation has revealed:

Silverstone track officials are paid a meagre £5 per day
Marshals are forced to pay for their own safety overalls, boots and gloves
They have been ordered to sleep in their own tents in a field outside the circuit to make way for car parking
They have to queue up for makeshift toilets and showers
Marshals receive just one free meal voucher during the three days of the event
they have been banned from the pits unless they are working there

To make matters worse, their German counterparts are paid more than five times as much.

Furious marshal Sue Whitlock stormed "the organisers do not really think of us as human beings any more. All we want is a little bit of respect. We are volunteers working for virtually nothing. And even though the event could not happen without us, we have been shifted outside the circuit, toilet facilities have been all but halved and there are just 24 showers for 600 people.

Friends tell me they have to queue in the rain sometimes to use the toilets and showers. And the water is provided by just three standpipes fixed to a fence.

We were promised facilities would not deteriorate when we moved, but they have.

When you think of all the money sloshing around in Formula One, you would think they could stretch to a packed lunch. We don't get any more at the biggest race of the year than we do at small club meetings. I worked the Nurburgring 24 hour race in Germany and they paid for my bed and breakfast. And I got £136 for five days."

While safety standards for drivers have dramatically improved over the years, the efforts for marshals have not kept pace. Fire marshals Paulo Ghislimberti was killed by flying debris in the 2000 Italian Grand Prix. Then Graham Beveridge died at the Australian Grand Prix last year when he was hit by a loose wheel after Jacques villeneuve's BAR collided with Ralf Schumacher's Williams.

Two 22 year old marshals were killed by an out-of-control car in the Donegal Rally in Ireland last month and two more injured in last November's Rally of Great Britain.

Silverstone marshal Mark Werrell rapped: "I don't think people at the top of Formula One give a stuff about us. There is a general attitude that marshals don't matter"

Werrell from the North East British Motorsport Marshals Club was disgusted when he was kicked out of the pits by security guards after doing to talk to his wife, who was a pit-lane marshal.

He fumed "I couldn’t believe it. Just a few minutes with my wife during a hard day was the least they could have allowed me. Instead this security guard told me I didn't have a tabard for the pit wall so I'd have to leave. I was very angry. I just thought "why do I bother to do this?" There has been a general deterioration in facilities and I dread to think how much I spend on equipment, food and petrol.

I've spent £40 on overalls, £25 on boots and another £25 on waterproofs, plus gloves. There are not many rewards for the hard work we do and it is no wonder numbers are falling. All I want is a little recognition and appreciation"

Circuit owners Octagon did throw a party for the marshals last night and gave each one a meal voucher, entitling them to a burger, Cornish pasty, sausage roll, packet of crisps, doughnut and can of Foster's lager.

And Colin Hilton, chief executive of governing body, the MSA, declared "Marshals certainly need more perks but Octagon are trying to help them. They found a campsite as close to the entrance as they possibly could, put in toilets and water stands and also threw a party for them. Octagon are trying to say thank you. But obviously these complaints need to be discussed"

By-line - Byron Young.

Photograph shows 3 marshals - named as Sue Whitlock, centre, with fellow marshals Mark Hunter and Liz Ginns
Old 8 Jul 2002, 14:18 (Ref:329422)   #5
PaulPerkins
Racer

United Kingdom
Manchester, UK
PaulPerkins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cor - Germans get paid 5 x 0 = ??
Old 8 Jul 2002, 14:23 (Ref:329427)   #6
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
*shrug* I wasn't there so I can't comment. The only thing I will say is that this isn't going to help recruitment any.
Old 8 Jul 2002, 14:27 (Ref:329431)   #7
AndyF
Veteran

AndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think the News Of The World is making a story out of nothing. Marshals already know this, and are used to the conditions. A free meal voucher - how about one of them at Club meetings!!
Old 8 Jul 2002, 14:28 (Ref:329433)   #8
PaulPerkins
Racer

United Kingdom
Manchester, UK
It isn't really going to help our cause either, to be honest. Blabbing to the Snooze of the World...hmmm. Perhaps better to have put a slightly better spin on it. 'yes we're unpaid and conditions are poo, but we do it for the sport, etc, etc'

Last edited by PaulPerkins; 8 Jul 2002 at 14:30.
Old 8 Jul 2002, 14:29 (Ref:329436)   #9
jase
Veteran

jase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks EP, enlightening (what am I saying I was there!).

The Octagon party was good, an excellent band, free beer and food, although I didnt go for the food. Talking to one of the people next to me i found out that he wasn't a marshal and had walked in from another site having heard the music. It was supposed to be secure!
Old 8 Jul 2002, 14:32 (Ref:329439)   #10
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
Well in fairness, we are all aware that the press put their own spin on things.

We have no idea how much of the "interviews" were taken out of context or even how close the wording is to what was actually said. It's a fairly sensationalist rendering of the standard marshalling gripes so I wouldn't pass judgement on anyone who was quoted in it unless they actually stood up and said "this is what I said in its entirity".

I've had conversations of this type before as I'm sure we all have - it's just that ours have never been printed. If NOTW have no qualms about being "economical with the truth" with big stars who can afford to sue them, I doubt if they'd be too worried about misquoting a couple of marshals.
Old 8 Jul 2002, 14:55 (Ref:329460)   #11
PaulPerkins
Racer

United Kingdom
Manchester, UK
EP, I agree with what you're saying, it's just that I think I would think twice before saying anything to journos. (and I don't mean the nice ones that hang around here ) This is particularly true if I've got an axe to grind.

But as you quite rightly say, we don't know the circumstances behind the conversation, so I shouldn't be so quick to criticise.

I does make me wonder, though, whether the 'troublesome trio' will be marshalling at next year's GP? (That's if there is one next year)
Old 8 Jul 2002, 15:00 (Ref:329464)   #12
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
Well that's an interesting question. Don't the various UK marshalling clubs have rules about talking to the press? I know that the Irish ones do.
Old 8 Jul 2002, 15:17 (Ref:329475)   #13
TwoSheds
Veteran

England
Farnborough, UK
TwoSheds should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTwoSheds should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by PaulPerkins
I does make me wonder, though, whether the 'troublesome trio' will be marshalling at next year's GP? (That's if there is one next year)
I don't believe Sue was actually marshaling this year anyway. She lives locally to Silverstone, was helping with the party, and her other half was marshaling (I think).

As for the party, the music was good but the drink ran out early, possibly because of the extra people from outside of the campsite, and also I did see quite a few people walking out with whole cases of beer...

Last edited by TwoSheds; 8 Jul 2002 at 15:18.
Old 8 Jul 2002, 16:29 (Ref:329511)   #14
neilwaynesmith
Veteran

England
Tamworth, England
neilwaynesmith is a back marker
Interesting comments all,

Perhaps there is an opportunity for a bit of Publicity out of the 'Snooze'? perhaps a journalist could be invited to a training day to experience this for him or herself? What about it PRO's??

Reading about the conditions on this site, together with the www.marshal.org.uk and www.groups.yahoo.com/group/themarshalsclub/ sites, I wonder how many people will actually re-volunteer next year? or will time dull the memory?

Incidentally, I have just read that Rob Bain, the CEO of Octagon has resigned. I quote:

"Rob Bain, the man charged with running the British Grand Prix, has resigned from his post just a day after the race. The Octagon Motorsports boss has stepped down in frustration at comments made against Silverstone by Formula 1 chief Bernie Ecclestone".

Hmm, perhaps he is fed up of all of the mud being slung at him. I imagine many marshals at recent British G.P.s know EXACTLY how that feels....
Old 8 Jul 2002, 16:36 (Ref:329517)   #15
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I spoke to Stephen on Friday and Saturday. He'll tell you in his own words but I got the impression that many marshals weren't happy with the facilities.
Old 8 Jul 2002, 17:11 (Ref:329541)   #16
jase
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by neilwaynesmith
I have just read that Rob Bain, the CEO of Octagon has resigned. I quote:

"Rob Bain, the man charged with running the British Grand Prix, has resigned from his post just a day after the race. The Octagon Motorsports boss has stepped down in frustration at comments made against Silverstone by Formula 1 chief Bernie Ecclestone".

Hmm, perhaps he is fed up of all of the mud being slung at him. I imagine many marshals at recent British G.P.s know EXACTLY how that feels....
There is more to the resigning than meets the eye, Rob Bain would normally ride out Bernies comments, after all we all know Bernie doesn't like Silverstone. But fling enough mud, some will stick.
Old 8 Jul 2002, 17:28 (Ref:329549)   #17
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I tend to agree with Jason, seems an odd decision...
Thanks EP for the words from the NOTW, saved me having to email round work for someone who might admit to reading (viewing?) it!.
My big winge from the weekend was that what I assume is referred to as a "meal voucher" was a voucher for the burger van on the camp site, the voucher used the word "Marshal" except that whoever issued it spelt it "Marshall", now I accept that I'm picky about these things but I don't think it's much to ask for whoever issued it (Octagon/MSA?)to spell our title properly.
Still at least the burger van survived the inspection from the Environmental Health Officer...
Old 8 Jul 2002, 17:36 (Ref:329553)   #18
Shinners
Racer

Shinners should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridShinners should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Congrats and well done to EP on an excellent letter in Motorsport News this week,

Last edited by Shinners; 8 Jul 2002 at 17:37.
Old 8 Jul 2002, 17:56 (Ref:329570)   #19
micaz43
Rookie

micaz43 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is what we mean by doing "clubbies" more there's too many politics in GP's it's just not on, and I wish someone would tell bernie to SHOVE his comments about silverstone the only ones hard done by is us and we keep going back year after year despite the rain, campsite, lack of facilities, and bernie. And I do know that we are not suposed to talk to the press without consent from our peers that's why clubs employ PR people!!
Old 8 Jul 2002, 18:28 (Ref:329598)   #20
brickkicker
Veteran

brickkicker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have to be honest that I agree with most of what was said but this is not a good thing for marshalling numbers. If I was thinking of starting then I wouldn’t even bother turning up. When I started marshalling a few years ago the F1 was not even in my mind and since then from what I have heard I wouldn’t go if they did pay 5x as much. I enjoy marshalling and don’t want to have to stand to attention when the FIA tell me to they can kiss my ar!e.
As for the marshals PR department were are they?? I haven’t heard of them I haven’t ever been told not to talk to press (if they did talk to me then I wouldn’t put it in the same words as this piece though) and do they do anything as the only marshalling related articles I have seen are usually published by marshals.
And to all marshals that do the grand prix and come away saying ‘im never doing that again’ stick to it, vote with your feet if you don’t like it don’t go it only puts people of marshalling and without you they cant run it. If we stick together we could get something done if we all complain but still go they think we can be walked on every year. I’m not saying lets revolt but lets stand up and be counted.
Old 8 Jul 2002, 18:30 (Ref:329602)   #21
jase
Veteran

Just re-reading the Snooze article and my interest was piqued, Mark refers to visiting his wife, anyone know what post was she on? I'd like to hear more of her's and Marks comments.

Last edited by jase; 8 Jul 2002 at 18:34.
Old 8 Jul 2002, 22:35 (Ref:329828)   #22
theracegypsy
Veteran

theracegypsy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So you can see why I'm a Gypsy, I voted with my feet, and car and trans-atlantic plane years ago.

I spent last weekend at Road America, working the ALMS race.
I was camped in a secure camp site, with Park Rangers on hand, a permenant toilet & shower block, was fed breakfast lunch and evening meal for 3 days and we had a party on Saturday night, with a raffle which included prizes dor every worker. The Stewards came to our meeting every morning, and thanked us, and we all had the opertunity of standdown time when you could get the courtesy bus to the paddock and walk into the pits and talk the the drivers!

Even the fans behind the fence passed food and cold drinks over to us.
To cap it, it was a superb race to enjoy.
Old 9 Jul 2002, 08:24 (Ref:329989)   #23
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
Gypsy - care to share your sponsors - like many others here I would love to have the financing to attend European and Transatlantic events but work and financial commitments do not permit.

I can afford to vote with my feet, but voting with a plane ticket is a little beyond my reach.

Note to self - must win lotto tomorrow.....

Last edited by EvilPumpkin; 9 Jul 2002 at 08:27.
Old 9 Jul 2002, 11:23 (Ref:330095)   #24
scottball75
Rookie

scottball75 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by theracegypsy
I voted with my feet, and car...
I have done the same kind of thing this year. Instead of going to Silverstone, I went back over to Le Mans for the 24 Hours. Now apart from the TGPs that were at Silverstone last year, which are always good to see, I thought the whole thing was SO boring and decided to not go back.

Scott.
Old 16 Jul 2002, 08:51 (Ref:334783)   #25
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Right, here I go again so stand back and pin those lug holes open.

Sue Whitlock wasn't marshaling at the GP but was involved in helping with the organisation of the marshals party on Saturday evening. Her husband Chris was my Observer at Copse. I have know both Sue and Chris for a number of years and they have been long time supporters of marshals and facilities. Some may not like the way they go about things but hey, they DO something!

It as my opinion that the NOTW article was written to highlight the apalling conditions on the marshals campsite. No it won't help with attracting new marshals, but then how would a new marshal feel if that was his/her first experience of the UK's Premier Motor Racing event?

I am sorry but it is situations such as these that actually deter new marshals from joining our ranks and at least Sue had the 'balls' (sorry Sue) to put her thoughts into action. A campsite, temporary or otherwise, that has six female shower and six male shower cubicles to cater for 550 odd people is woefully short on facilities. Add to that the fact we had to remove the sheep sh*t from pitches before they were habitable, the lack of secuity (once again) and it is no wonder that Sue was driven to speak to the press!

The lady who normally does the egg and bacon rolls wasn't there, nor was the guy from the local shop selling papers etc. The Saturday night party was a nice idea but wouldn't we all forego that for some reasonable conditions?

I made the mistake of staying over on the Sunday night, by which time the lighting on the campsite had been removed and we wandered around in darkness.

Come on everyone, wake up to the fact that it really is time we took action instead of moaning about things. On a personal level I will be writing to the MSA to make a few 'constructive' points and if it means my name is removed from the list for next year, it's something I will have to grin and bear.

Well done Sue!!!!!!